Preps for a Contested Election in November

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Preps for a Contested Election in November

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:05 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:49 am
RoneKiln wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:52 am
I stopped at a Cabella's Friday evening to stretch my legs and break up a 3 hour drive. The main ammo aisle had a single box of ammo. That lone box made the aisle feel even more empty.
Did you see whay cal./ga. it was?

Just curious.
Probably something super popular, like 8mm Nambu or .32/35 Stevens
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:50 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:05 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
RoneKiln wrote:
I stopped at a Cabella's Friday evening to stretch my legs and break up a 3 hour drive. The main ammo aisle had a single box of ammo. That lone box made the aisle feel even more empty.

Just curious.
Probably something super popular, like 8mm Nambu or .32/35 Stevens
Nah, it was probably a box of 7.62 Nagant.

No, no, wait. It was a box of 9mm Flobert.

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:29 pm

I was in a LGS yesterday and they had a Mosin for $500. :ooh:
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:20 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:29 pm
Unless it's a really rare model or one of the sniper rifles with the scope, they're asking about 200 bucks too much.

There's a seller local to me trying to sell one for 350 and it's had zero hits on the ad.

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:58 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:20 pm
raptor2 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:29 pm
Unless it's a really rare model or one of the sniper rifles with the scope, they're asking about 200 bucks too much.

There's a seller local to me trying to sell one for 350 and it's had zero hits on the ad.
Other than no cosmoline anywhere there was nothing special about it.
Yes that price is silly.
Duco Ergo Sum

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:43 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
RoneKiln wrote:

Just curious.
It was a weird smaller caliber I wasn't familiar with and can no longer remember the numbers. I assumed it was pistol based on the size of the box, but it might have been an old small carbine round that is no longer common. I recall thinking "what is that?"

The gun cabinets were near empty. I didn't look too close cause I needed to get moving.

They had minimal inventory of freeze dried food and I bought a few meals to help replace what I used backpacking last summer. My local REI have eliminated their freeze dried food section cause they haven't been able to get any stock in the store for several months.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:20 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:12 am
RoneKiln wrote:
One is the loneliest number ...
but two can be as bad as one....

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:15 pm

This SCOTUS court tie means that IF PA is a key state to election AND the election in that state is also very close (think FL in 2000) there will be delay of up to 3 days in the results.

Link to article with politics in the URL
This increases the chance of a delayed result and potentially for issues to contest.
If PA is really close, and bunch of ballots come in three days later -- without postmarks -- to decide the election, it's going to be really ugly.

This BTW is interesting in that this SCOTUS tie does not decide anything but rather means that the lower court ruling stands.

Edited to add:
This post is intended to illustrate how a state court could decide the Nov election in an manner that no one expects. That may result in some unhappy people for which you may want to re-consider consider your preps.
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:09 pm

https://www.wsj.com/articles/will-we-kn ... &mod=fftco
New York’s June 23 primary provided a preview of logistical challenges that could affect counting in November. In two congressional races, after laborious counting and legal fighting, it took six weeks to declare the winners. In a closely watched House primary, election officials on Tuesday declared the incumbent, Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D., N.Y.), the winner over a hotel executive, Suraj Patel.

“This was an unprecedented situation, and we handled it in the best way we could following the law,” said Frederic M. Umane, the secretary of the New York City Board of Elections. Mr. Umane said that two issues concerned postmarks and signatures that didn’t meet requirements for mail ballots.
Edited to add:
If you live in or need to go to PA during this period you may want to review your preps for possible violent activity in PA.

BTW for the record...I will be extremely happy if after this over there is no violence. I hope there is no violence. I will gladly wear a tine foil hat for day.

That said hope is not a plan...prep accordingly. YMMV
Duco Ergo Sum

M813

Post by M813 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:16 am

Well, I got the voting part checked off this morning. It was all calm and safe, no protesters (thank God).

12ga ammo is nearly impossible to find in my area right now and stores are limiting purchases to 5 boxes when they do have it. Sheesh.
We topped off on food and other supplies this weekend.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:01 pm

M813 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:16 am
Well, I got the voting part checked off this morning. It was all calm and safe, no protesters (thank God).

12ga ammo is nearly impossible to find in my area right now and stores are limiting purchases to 5 boxes when they do have it. Sheesh.
12 gauge ammo is one of the few ammos the stores in my AO are full of.

I did a quick check at Academy last week and they were stocked pretty well on 12 gauge ammo. Not sure if it was just birdshot or buckshot, though. May have just been birdshot.

They also had some 16 and 28 gauge shells too.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:51 pm

M813 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:16 am

Same here. I voted, & there were no problems at all. This included parking.

From NPR: How Police, National Guard And Military Are Preparing For Election Day Tensions - 7 minutes of audio at webpage.

From NPR: 11 Arrested In Clashes After Pro-Trump Convoy Passes Through NYC's Times Square

M813

Post by M813 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:51 pm

Hey, since we're posting links to articles: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 997666002/

My head hurts. When you read which demographic is hoarding weapons and ammo, and the hypocrisy, your head will hurt too.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:32 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:01 pm

I did a quick check at Academy last week and they were stocked pretty well on 12 gauge ammo. Not sure if it was just birdshot or buckshot, though. May have just been birdshot.

My guess is birdshot- I haven't seen buckshot in a store in months, including Academy. But 12 ga birdshot is plentiful everywhere but nothing bigger than 6 shot from what I've seen.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:23 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:32 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:01 pm

My guess is birdshot- I haven't seen buckshot in a store in months, including Academy. But 12 ga birdshot is plentiful everywhere but nothing bigger than 6 shot from what I've seen.
I didn't really get a good look at what it was, but I'm going to say you're probably right that it was all birdshot, Pete.

I went in looking for a Ruger PC9, saw they didn't have one and left. I also noticed the Academy in Odessa now sells some Streamlight weaponlights as well as EOTech sights.

They used to just sell Bushnell and Tasco stuff, so I guess they started selling the higher end stuff after their last remodel.

M813

Post by M813 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:19 am

Well, if the objective is merely to get the perpetrator to cease the undesirable behavior that they are engaged in, even bird shot should be effective.
I know that some rioters have discovered body armor but I'm not sure it's a widely available item. In any case, I doubt it covers the face.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:00 pm

M813 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:19 am
Well, if the objective is merely to get the perpetrator to cease the undesirable behavior that they are engaged in, even bird shot should be effective.
I know that some rioters have discovered body armor but I'm not sure it's a widely available item. In any case, I doubt it covers the face.
I wonder if it's legit body armor and not something they ordered from Wish.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:32 pm

M813 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:19 am

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

M813

Post by M813 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am

Anti-fa seems to have crafted riot shields from the halves of plastic, 50 gallon drums. I think these could be effective against bird shot but not much else.

DIY body armor crafted from cut up sections of old tires might also stop bird shot. The tread section *might* stop or slow smaller caliber stuff to less than lethal velocities but it's difficult to shape in a manner that gives whole-body coverage.

I'd use bird shot against unprotected assailants and conserve buckshot and slug for Gucci rioters with shields, armor and people using vehicles as weapons.

Please don't mistake my tone for glib. My stomach turns just typing it. My preference is to be nowhere near any of this.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:21 am

Locked for moderator review

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:10 am

Interesting discussion, but let's remember to keep this discussion to lawful defensive use of firearms. Some of the chat is seemingly trending towards offensive use. If there are riots of folks wearing homemade or store bought armor, the only sane strategy is to disengage. It's not worth saving a store and we haven't seen these mobs attack people in their homes.

On topic, my company, a brokerage firm, had their yearly state of the company meeting last night. Our market experts suggested that if the election goes off the rails in some way, such as cities burning or being contested for days, expect the market to drop 10-20%, with a recovery by the end of the year once the election results are accepted. So for folks who have been sitting on cash, it may be a reasonable time to get back into the market after that dip.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

M813

Post by M813 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:35 pm

If I caused the temporary lockout, I apologize for that. I was speaking in a strictly defensive sense when I made my comments. I brought it up because we were discussing the dearth of buckshot on store shelves.

No, we haven't seen advanced equipped mobs in residential areas yet but there have been chants of "every city and every town" in NYC and Philadelphia riots, so that's kind of what I was envisioning. I wasn't even thinking of defending stores.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:57 am

M813 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:35 pm
If I caused the temporary lockout, I apologize for that. I was speaking in a strictly defensive sense when I made my comments. I brought it up because we were discussing the dearth of buckshot on store shelves.

No, we haven't seen advanced equipped mobs in residential areas yet but there have been chants of "every city and every town" in NYC and Philadelphia riots, so that's kind of what I was envisioning. I wasn't even thinking of defending stores.
We have in the PNW, and I've heard news reports of them in Minneapolis. Residences have been burned as well. An acquaintance of mine lost her home when protestors torched her apartment building.* I'm not sure how much of her stuff was salvagable.

The tactical rifle class I took weekend before last had a large group of techies that had their residential neighborhoods trashed, which inspired an abrupt shift in their opinions on firearm ownership. We burned up a lot of class time helping them sight in their optics on their new rifles. They were good students though and took the class very seriously.

*I strongly suspect this wasn't political in nature, but a psycho having fun in the smoke screen of the political turmoil.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:49 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:57 am
M813 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:35 pm

We have in the PNW, and I've heard news reports of them in Minneapolis.
Wisconsin too, with "mobing," burning of houses, and breaking of windows.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “Civil Disorder”