Portland Violence

Civil disorder is a special type of disaster worthy of its own area of discussion. No Political Discussion!

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Forum rules
No political discussion or you will be barred from posting in this section! You have been warned.
raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Portland Violence

Post by raptor2 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:44 pm

The violence in Portland Oregon continues.
The PPB reported that “two elderly community members attempted to stop the group from vandalizing the building with paint and were subsequently hit with the paint.” Videos show protesters aggressively confronting one woman, who was covered in what appeared to be a white liquid:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-w ... story.html
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

RoneKiln

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:49 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:44 pm
The PPB reported that “two elderly community members attempted to stop the group from vandalizing the building with paint and were subsequently hit with the paint.” Videos show protesters aggressively confronting one woman, who was covered in what appeared to be a white liquid:

Last night I listened to a YouTube commentator review news articles and pictures posted by protestors that indicated they tried to burn down a police precinct again and then moved into a residential area and harassed people in their homes. It looked like they targeted specific people but it wasn't clear why. I've not invested the effort to follow up on the story.

Last week there was an escalation in the power of the improvised explosives used in Seattle and Portland. For a short bit it looked like that had a sobering effect on the peaceful protestors and they were quicker to help put out fires and reign in the violent ones among them. That doesn't appear to have lasted though.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... r-weekend/

The article linked above also references an 8 inch wide hole blown through the exterior wall of the precinct. There's a real good interview floating around of an officer there that had her leg badly injured in another explosion that day.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Re: Portland Violence

Post by raptor2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 am

A long hot summer in Portland continues.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020/08 ... night.html

But it was peaceful up until the B&E, arson and mortar.
... At one point, a large firework exploded between the groups. Police responded by firing crowd control munitions.
Police said a mortar injured two officers and cited “direct attacks on officers” in declaring the demonstration a riot.
The event came a day after protests Saturday night in the same area that were mostly peaceful until a small group of people lit a fire inside the police union building.
Now am sure that the mortar was not a "real" mortar...since those are illegal.

Be careful out there folks. The people involved in this violence do not care about anything except chaos and press.
Duco Ergo Sum

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:25 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 am

... At one point, a large firework exploded between the groups. Police responded by firing crowd control munitions.
Police said a mortar injured two officers and cited “direct attacks on officers” in declaring the demonstration a riot.
The event came a day after protests Saturday night in the same area that were mostly peaceful until a small group of people lit a fire inside the police union building.

Be careful out there folks. The people involved in this violence do not care about anything except chaos and press.
It's a real fireworks mortar.

Not as bad as someone chucking around 40mm (or whatever size they come in) infantry mortars, but people have been trying to blow it off as apparently harmless. Since I knew someone who had their finger blown to sausage filling by a dinky little black cat, I'm disinclined to entirely discount fireworks.

Plus potentially the burn and--if launched into a building--fire hazard.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Make no mistake, 'fireworks' can be very dangerous by themselves.

Throwing a 'canister' type mortar firework can cause a lot of damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RKIGY6WxvU (misused fireworks demo)
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:19 pm

raptor2 wrote:

Pretty sorry attacking the elderly, regardless of their polotics

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:22 pm

lailr wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:19 pm

I would not expect cowards like that to attack someone who would kick their asses. They do not work that way. They attack only those physically weaker than themselves.
Duco Ergo Sum

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:15 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:22 pm
lailr wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:19 pm

I would not expect cowards like that to attack someone who would kick their asses. They do not work that way. They attack only those physically weaker than themselves.
There are often many cowards like that in crowds. There are also many people demonstrating that are willing to accept baton strikes from police officers while holding their ground and tackle officers to help others escape.

You get a few hundred people together and at least a few of them will be willing to brawl even at a disadvantage. Many others will be willing if they think everyone else around them is standing firm.

Some of those pics look like a young man is trying to convince the lady to leave. His hands don't appear to be pointing at her in an accusatory or aggressive manner. His hands appear to be open in a manner of someone trying to convince another person of something.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:30 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:15 pm
Some of those pics look like a young man is trying to convince the lady to leave. His hands don't appear to be pointing at her in an accusatory or aggressive manner. His hands appear to be open in a manner of someone trying to convince another person of something.
There's video (NSFW, language).... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdWG87mXoqM
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

tony d tiger

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:11 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:49 pm
raptor2 wrote:
The PPB reported that “two elderly community members attempted to stop the group from vandalizing the building with paint...
Last night I listened to a YouTube commentator review news articles and pictures posted by protestors that indicated they tried to burn down a police precinct again and then moved into a residential area and harassed people in their homes. It looked like they targeted specific people but it wasn't clear why. I've not invested the effort to follow up on the story.

Last week there was an escalation in the power of the improvised explosives used in Seattle and Portland....
The other day, in the other thread, there was a link to a story which also detailed a website which "they" doxx police, government officials and even regular folks who dare to call the police. This may explain the movement to residential areas; or it might be a change in tactics, since (I think I saw) this also happened in Alexandria, VA (on the news) and in Olympia, WA.

A good read White Guilt by Shelby Steele, explains some of the supposed justification for the behavior depicted. Moral outrage based on the sins of society versus individual responsibility. Mob rule. Mob punishment. Almost as bad as zombies.
Tony D Tiger

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:02 am

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:30 pm
RoneKiln wrote:
Thanks. That guy certainly appeared far more aggressive when in motion.

Those little old ladies are awesome.
--Raptor

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:28 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:02 am
RickOShea wrote:
RoneKiln wrote:

(For the record I did view the video before I posted the picture, hence my comment about cowards.)

My observation is that the people willing to "accept baton strikes from police officers while holding their ground and tackle officers to help others escape" frequently don't believe in helping little elderly ladies getting assaulted (exhibit A is the painted lady). ...But then I could be wrong ... In this case IMO the people were not assisting the elderly lady covered in paint in any way and I stand by my comment.

A simple observation. A person at a protest wearing a helmet, google and a 3M half face mask with P-100 filters(pink round filters) is not likely there for peaceful purposes. Whether you agree with the reason for protest or not if you find yourself near such people, a rapid exit and exfiltration from them is a logical course of action for your own safety. These people are wearing PPE because they are prepared for the harm that then intend to commit.

The violent street activity in Portland continued on Monday night.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/pr ... r-BB17PIwS
Duco Ergo Sum

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:51 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:28 am
RoneKiln wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:02 am
RickOShea wrote:
RoneKiln wrote:

(For the record I did view the video before I posted the picture, hence my comment about cowards.)

My observation is that the people willing to "accept baton strikes from police officers while holding their ground and tackle officers to help others escape" frequently don't believe in helping little elderly ladies getting assaulted (exhibit A is the painted lady). ...But then I could be wrong ... In this case IMO the people were not assisting the elderly lady covered in paint in any way and I stand by my comment.

A simple observation. A person at a protest wearing a helmet, google and a 3M half face mask with P-100 filters(pink round filters) is not likely there for peaceful purposes. Whether you agree with the reason for protest or not if you find yourself near such people, a rapid exit and exfiltration from them is a logical course of action for your own safety. These people are wearing PPE because they are prepared for the harm that then intend to commit.

The violent street activity in Portland continued on Monday night.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/pr ... r-BB17PIwS
I probably should have looked for video before commenting. I agree many willing to fight in those situations won't be prone to helping those that disagree with them, even when elderly. I was thinking in a broader sense that many of those people in a crowd can still be very dangerous one on one no matter how intimidating you may typically look.
--Raptor

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:01 pm

The Portland DA decided not to prosecute a very large % of people arrested for "non-violent" crimes, which includes:

Interfering with a peace officer or parole and probation officer
Disorderly conduct in the second degree
Criminal trespass in the first and second degree (if you own property the mob can do what they want on it)
Escape in the third degree
Harassment (throwing paint and splashing it on little elderly ladies is now ok)
Riot (unless accompanied by a charge outside of this list)

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/ ... 878109e8cb

So basically "y'all go out and have fun now".

It makes it that much easier to claim the violence is not violence if fewer people are arrested.
Duco Ergo Sum

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:33 am

boskone wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:25 pm
raptor2 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:22 am

It's a real fireworks mortar.

Not as bad as someone chucking around 40mm (or whatever size they come in) infantry mortars, but people have been trying to blow it off as apparently harmless. Since I knew someone who had their finger blown to sausage filling by a dinky little black cat, I'm disinclined to entirely discount fireworks.

Plus potentially the burn and--if launched into a building--fire hazard.
40mm are grenades launched from a smooth tube. The line companies had 66mm mortars and HHC had 81mm mortars. All smooth tubes. They can get larger in size.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:51 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:33 am
They can get larger in size.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:22 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:01 pm
The Portland DA decided not to prosecute a very % of people arrested for "non-violent" crimes, which includes:

Criminal trespass in the first and second degree (if you own property the mob can do what they want on it)

It makes it that much easier to claim the violence is not violence if fewer people are arrested.
The PTB in that jurisdiction and failing the very notion of Law & Order, Public Safety, and Duty. Straight out & out FAIL!

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:31 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:22 pm
raptor2 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:01 pm
The Portland DA decided not to prosecute a very % of people arrested for "non-violent" crimes, which includes:

The PTB in that jurisdiction and failing the very notion of Law & Order, Public Safety, and Duty. Straight out & out FAIL!
The PTB are catering to the mob in the false hope that they will "control them". That is the same thought process that saw the creation of the Committee for Public Safety. We all know how that ended.

The funny part is that several areas want to use similar names for the local LEO force (or what is left of it). i.e. department of community safety and violence prevention.
Duco Ergo Sum

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:28 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:31 pm
The funny part is that several areas want to use similar names for the local LEO force (or what is left of it). i.e. department of community safety and violence prevention.
There, fixed. I'll send them a bill.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:39 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:28 pm
raptor2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:31 pm
There, fixed. I'll send them a bill.

Actually I think the Committee of Public Safety is more correct.
Duco Ergo Sum

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:11 pm

While I don't think it sweeps away all responsibility, keep in mind prosecuting attorneys have budget and resource limitations as well. If they burn all their resources prosecuting a sudden massive wave of smaller crimes, they become limited in their ability to prosecute serious violent crime which is also on the rise.

Add in a fundraising system from protestors to help the low level offenders fight the charges, and even very aggressive prosecution teams find their capacity wiped. Well funded lawyers can destroy a municipality's legal budget.

Budget restrictions for both prosecution teams and public defenders contributes to all sorts of craziness in the larger justice system. This also contributes to why so many public defenders often throw their clients under the bus.

Again, I'm not arguing anyone working in the justice system should get free passes on how things have gone the last several months, but I think it's worth keeping their resource limitations in mind when making judgments of the system.
--Raptor

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:23 pm

There are certainly limits to resources. That is why plea bargains are so common.

That said a plea bargain and a blanket statement of nolle prosequi for a whole list of valid offenses past, present and future is no bargain or benefit for anyone who seeks lawful peace and happiness.

The city certainly saves money by saying these acts even though unlawful will be ignored. The people who have suffered damages by these actions on the other hand get a choice of dick or bubble gum...and they are all out of bubble gum.

The people damaged can take civil action against the Ne'er-do-wells who injured, stole and and destroyed their property but what is to keep them from exacting retribution on the victims for doing this...certainly not fear of prosecution.

The DA is doing a favor for the violent mobs.
Then the question of why come up?
The only logical answer is that the DA supports the violence and impact that it has on the community.

Anyone affected by the ongoing violence in the area needs to assess their risks and plan accordingly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... river.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/portl ... r-BB1847ZQ

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/07/27/myt ... and-oregon

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... embly.html
Duco Ergo Sum

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:18 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:23 pm
There are certainly limits to resources. That is why plea bargains are so common.

That said a plea bargain and a blanket statement of nolle prosequi for a whole list of valid offenses past, present and future is no bargain or benefit for anyone who seeks lawful peace and happiness.

The city certainly saves money by saying these acts even though unlawful will be ignored. The people who have suffered damages by these actions on the other hand get a choice of dick or bubble gum...and they are all out of bubble gum.

The people damaged can take civil action against the Ne'er-do-wells who injured, stole and and destroyed their property but what is to keep them from exacting retribution on the victims for doing this...certainly not fear of prosecution.

The only logical answer is that the DA supports the violence and impact that it has on the community.

Anyone affected by the ongoing violence in the area needs to assess their risks and plan accordingly.

The attacker clearly had no concern for the injury he inflicted on the driver of the truck. Running up behind to kick the victim in the side of the head who was seated on the ground.

What. A. Piece. Of. Shit.

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:17 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:18 pm
raptor2 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:23 pm

The attacker clearly had no concern for the injury he inflicted on the driver of the truck. Running up behind to kick the victim in the side of the head who was seated on the ground.

What. A. Piece. Of. Shit.
Agreed.
It would not surprise me charges against this POS are plea bargained down or even dismissed by the local DA after a few months.
Remember this was labeled a peaceful event by many.
https://www.theolympian.com/news/state/ ... 12055.html
Protesters punched and kicked a man to the ground in Portland, Oregon, after the man crashed his truck onto the sidewalk Sunday night near otherwise peaceful demonstrations.
So other than violent assaults by "protesters" it was peaceful.

....and violent "peaceful protesters" continue their peaceful violence...
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ce-office/

Although now they are now calling the violence "confrontational"... the doublespeak is in full swing.
Portland protests continue for 85th night: One peaceful, another confrontational.

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/202 ... -know.html
Duco Ergo Sum

Return to “Civil Disorder”