What are you doing to strengthen your immune system?

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Blast
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Girl With the Gifts

What are you doing to strengthen your immune system?

Post by Blast » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:39 am

Hey all, Blast back in from the darkness. There's all sorts of talk/action to prevent getting sick (masks, social distancing, vaccines, etc) but what steps have you taken to improve your immune system? Increasing your vitamin D & C? Exercising? Watching funny videos to make you laugh? Socially interacting with people? It seems like a no-brainer but based on IRL discussions with people it seems like many have completely forgotten they have an immune system. :shock:
Granted, strengthening the immune system won't completely guarantee you won't get Covid but it'll help a lot. Also, people with autoimmune disorders are starting way behind the eight ball in this as strengthening their immune system will increase their body's own self destruction. But for the average, relatively normal, first-world person diet, exercise, and other things will help you. So, what are things you've specifically done to help build your immune system?
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
Ham Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: What are you doing to strengthen your immune system?

Post by the_alias » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:56 am

Worked in bit more cardio, relaxed more.

I have added Zinc to my daily Vitamin stack (which is Vitamin D (2000 iu in summer - 5000iu winter) Vitamin C, Omega 3s)

I also have Elderberry syrup that I'll sometimes take a bit of if feel any cold/flu symptoms.
Man is a beast of prey

Blast

Post by Blast » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:12 am

the_alias wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:56 am
I also have Elderberry syrup that I'll sometimes take a bit of if feel any cold/flu symptoms.
Good actions! Elderberry is FANTASTIC for helping your body with infections, based on many scientific studies.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=e ... +medicinal
It's good as a daily supplement, not just something to take when you feel sick, especially now in our pandemic world. Zinc is also a critical part of the immune system but in which many people are deficient.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:43 am

Increased fresh fruit servings x day since March 15th; with oranges, bananas, apples, blueberries, peaches as they came into season. Outside morning stretching and warm ups for a 15 minute sunlight exposure with the shirt off once it warmed up. Relaxation and naps with the big dogs as time allows. :mrgreen:

Life is good - it's all about the way you perceive it.
Tony D Tiger

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:49 am

Great question! In the spring I added zinc once a week and added tonic to my morning OJ. Maybe they help, maybe not? Summer is easy to eat healthy out of my garden. I had a lapse in cardio for 6 weeks but am back to playing hockey twice a week. It's only pickup games which aren't as rigorous as league games, but it's still good exercise. Adding in time in the sun and some weight work-outs each week and that's pretty much my immune system game.

As well I'm keeping my immune system active by going out amongst the sweaty masses and not wearing a mask in public, so I'm exposed to my normal load of germs and viruses. And when a mask is required, like at the grocers, I do it really half ass and touch my face a lot. :D

I do worry about all the people secreted away in their homes and their susceptibility to common illness once they come out. With all the concerts, parades and conventions canceled, many people working from home and all the mask wearing, the average person is being subjected to way less illness vectors than in the past, so even a common cold may hit harder than normal this fall and people may be likely to show symptoms they didn't in the past.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Blast

Post by Blast » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 am

PistolPete wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:49 am
Great question! In the spring I added zinc once a week and added tonic to my morning OJ.
By "tonic" do you mean tonic water with quinine? Yes, there are studies that suggest zinc + quinine will help as an anti-viral preventative. Keep in mind if you notice a sudden ringing of the ears you've consumed too much quinine and need to stop for about a week. Also, quinine and hydroxychlotoquinine are related but not identical. HCQ is the superpowered version of quinine.

You are also right that a lot of the current lockdowns may be working to reduce the strength of the immune system, especially bans on being outside enjoying sun and nature. Some day when this is all over it'll be really interesting to see the Covid infection rate studies of farmers, ranchers, and others who spend their days working outside. Similar data on store employees and teachers will also be fascinating...from a scientific point of view.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

CG

Post by CG » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm

Working on breaking the candy and junk food addictions in favor of real food.

Getting outside more.

Actually taking my supplements instead of setting them up, then going "Meh."
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:13 pm

Blast wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 am
By "tonic" do you mean tonic water with quinine? Yes, there are studies that suggest zinc + quinine will help as an anti-viral preventative.
Yes, tonic water, and yes, for that exact reason.
Blast wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 am
You are also right that a lot of the current lockdowns may be working to reduce the strength of the immune system, especially bans on being outside enjoying sun and nature. Some day when this is all over it'll be really interesting to see the Covid infection rate studies of farmers, ranchers, and others who spend their days working outside. Similar data on store employees and teachers will also be fascinating...from a scientific point of view.
-Blast
Yeah, it's going to be a curious next couple years. It'll be interesting to see the data in the rear view.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:48 pm

Early on I increased the length of time for my night time walks to 45 minutes and stated taking 1000mg of Vitamin C. I lost about 10 lbs in the process and have kept it off.

I normally do not take other supplements because I already eat a lot of fresh veggies and fruit. I do not consume soft drinks (water and coffee only), no alcohol (except on my hands) and other than as a rare treat no desserts.
I did eliminate sushi from my diet since raw fish and a pandemic just did not seem sensible. Instead I consume tuna and salmon steaks cooked very rare.

I also added a bit of 1% Betadine mouthwash to my Listerine after reading this ZS link.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84225&start=144
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

N01

Post by N01 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:03 pm

I try to live as healthy as possible, so I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. Further I take supplements of vitamin C & D.
Besides this I think it's important to keep moving. Every week I try to kayak at least 20 km, run 10km and swim twice a week

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Not much. When the lockdowns first began I added 5,000 IU of D3 to my daily supplements to help make up for the lack of outdoor time but nothing else.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:18 pm

Since I've been furloughed my outdoor time has been cut in half, so I'm basically trying to spend as much time outside as possible, taking the boys fishing, scouting for deer season etc. Sunlight is always good for you. Sitting around make me fat...

Blast

Post by Blast » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:19 am

CG wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:12 pm

Actually taking my supplements instead of setting them up, then going "Meh."
Can I ask which supplements? I have a professional interest since I'm the medicine man for a start-up company producing assorted herbal dietary supplements. :D
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

Blast

Post by Blast » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:21 am

N01 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:03 pm
I try to live as healthy as possible, so I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. Further I take supplements of vitamin C & D.
Besides this I think it's important to keep moving. Every week I try to kayak at least 20 km, run 10km and swim twice a week
Damn, that's awesome! That outdoors activity doesn't just help your body, it also helps your brain.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

Blast

Post by Blast » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:23 am

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:48 pm
Early on I increased the length of time for my night time walks to 45 minutes and stated taking 1000mg of Vitamin C. I lost about 10 lbs in the process and have kept it off.

I normally do not take other supplements because I already eat a lot of fresh veggies and fruit.
Good job! Have you met any neighbors during your walks? That has all sorts of other benefits.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

Blast

Post by Blast » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:25 am

Brekar wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:18 pm
Since I've been furloughed my outdoor time has been cut in half, so I'm basically trying to spend as much time outside as possible, taking the boys fishing, scouting for deer season etc. Sunlight is always good for you. Sitting around make me fat...
Good for you and your boys. It's important that they get a break from the current "doom & gloom" the world seems to have fallen into. I wonder what the long-term psychological effects the lockdowns, masks, and social distancing will have on children. :(
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:49 pm

My kids will be fine. In my family wearing a mask is normal. My wife has been wearing a Vogmask for over 5 years, basically every time we go to stores like Target/Walmart etc, ever since she got diagnosed with Lyme disease. As for social distancing we have a large extended family locally, with 14 cousins under the age of 13, so social distancing is pretty much out the door, and to my kids a lockdown mean spending more time fishing or hunting or reading, which they'd rather do anyways.

Andimia
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Andimia » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm

I take vitamin D regularly. I have increased my exercise but mostly to keep joint mobility (hello to being mid-30's with joint pain) and I volunteer delivering supplies and picking up trash to keep my community healthy. I have elderberry syrup as a suppliment, I prefer to make my own since commercial products have made me nauseous in the past leading me to think they're not removing enough stems, or not being processed properly to remove all toxins. I have a healthier diet, spending more time making food with my girlfriend and growing what we can in our gardens. I eat a lot of variety of foods too to make sure I'm getting all of the microneutrients I need. I have also added proper hydration to my daily habits list.

I also have been getting my flu shot every year since my father got leukemia to keep those around me healthier and get a free immune system upgrade. I became a lot more aware about disease transmission when he got his bone marrow transplant so I have good handwashing and cleaning habits. I wear a mask with a filter when I'm out since I live in a large city and cannot socially distance at the grocery store or when picking up a to-go order. I have been donating some extra money to the neighborhood food pantry so that those around me can stay healthy too.

Blast

Post by Blast » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:03 pm

Andimia wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 pm
I take vitamin D regularly. I have increased my exercise but mostly to keep joint mobility (hello to being mid-30's with joint pain) and I volunteer delivering supplies and picking up trash to keep my community healthy. I have elderberry syrup as a suppliment, I prefer to make my own since commercial products have made me nauseous in the past leading me to think they're not removing enough stems, or not being processed properly to remove all toxins. I have a healthier diet, spending more time making food with my girlfriend and growing what we can in our gardens. I eat a lot of variety of foods too to make sure I'm getting all of the microneutrients I need. I have also added proper hydration to my daily habits list.
Simple things like this go a long way. Do you harvest the elderberries yourself?
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:04 pm

I got tested for nutrient imbalances. I was real low on B12 and toxically high in D. :shock:

So I started taking B12 and don't take any D anymore. I have felt way better lately. Dropped an inch off my waist real quick as I've had the energy to be more active.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Lambykins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Meat (Birthday party with zombies! Coolest birthday EVER!!!)
28 Days and 28 Weeks Later...nicely gory.
Shaun of the Dead
Anything with Keanu Reeves...oh...he's NOT a zombie? Wow. Coulda fooled me...

Post by Lambykins » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:06 pm

Have elderberry syrup, gummies and tincture.
Take D3 a couple times a week.
I work extensively with the public, but so far, so good.
Every normal man must, at times, be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats -- HL Mencken

My zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/fripperyfarm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; New line of Frippery Farm merchandise!
My blog: http://droptheshoe.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My misadventures in farming and livestock raising!

Blast

Post by Blast » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:04 pm
I got tested for nutrient imbalances. I was real low on B12 and toxically high in D. :shock:
Holy moly! I'm surprised anyone in the US has an excess of vitamin D. :shock:
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

Blast

Post by Blast » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:40 am

Lambykins wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:06 pm
Have elderberry syrup, gummies and tincture.
Take D3 a couple times a week.
I work extensively with the public, but so far, so good.
Good choices! Stay safe.
-Blast
Foraging Texas
Medicine Man Plant Co.
DrMerriwether on YouTube

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Standard multivitamin, outside as much as reasonable, Plus I interact with a few hundred children and their little snotty noses daily...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Return to “All Things COVID-19”