"Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:15 pm

My girlfriend got the first dose of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. She was marveling at how not only are there no side effects, her arm didn't even hurt.

Her arm hurts a little today.

I am diligently monitoring her forehead for the formation of a second butthole, so far we're clear.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

williaty

Post by williaty » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:32 pm

It's a very frustrating day here. The governor has announced that roughly 60% of nursing home workers have refused the vaccine and that the refusal rate is around half in front-line medical workers. I'd give away my favorite tools right now to get vaccinated and these morons are refusing! It's incredibly frustrating and insulting.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:06 am

williaty wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:32 pm
It's a very frustrating day here. The governor has announced that roughly 60% of nursing home workers have refused the vaccine and that the refusal rate is around half in front-line medical workers. I'd give away my favorite tools right now to get vaccinated and these morons are refusing! It's incredibly frustrating and insulting.
I suspect at least some of that is rooted in tribal identity.

I also saw a ton of media coverage demonizing the acceleration of testing up till November. Do you think some of the resistance is due to that?
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

williaty

Post by williaty » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:26 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:06 am
williaty wrote:

I also saw a ton of media coverage demonizing the acceleration of testing up till November. Do you think some of the resistance is due to that?
Yeah, it wasn't at all clearly explained to the public that the normal tests happened for the (roughly) normal amount of time and the only things that changed were that the development was shockingly fast to get to the testing stage and the tests ran concurrently (somewhat) rather than sequentially with gaps in between. Couple that with the news delighting in pointing out everything that's gone wrong (people fainting, low rate of anaphylaxis just like every other injection) and you have people who want an excuse not to get stuck with a needle finding an excuse not to get stuck with a needle.

I worked seasonal flu vaccinations a few times and I was shocked how many grown assed adults are fucking terrified of getting a shot.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:50 am

williaty wrote:
I get you have feelings, but lets not call health care professionals morons. There are perfectly reasonable reasons to get the vaccine and perfectly reasonable reasons to not. As a prepper we should focus on what decisions we can make to keep ourselves safe, not lash out at other people who don't do what we want.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:50 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:50 am
williaty wrote:
I get you have feelings, but lets not call health care professionals morons. There are perfectly reasonable reasons to get the vaccine and perfectly reasonable reasons to not. As a prepper we should focus on what decisions we can make to keep ourselves safe, not lash out at other people who don't do what we want.
This. Much of this. :D

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:55 pm

williaty wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:26 am
RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:06 am
williaty wrote:

Yeah, it wasn't at all clearly explained to the public that the normal tests happened for the (roughly) normal amount of time and the only things that changed were that the development was shockingly fast to get to the testing stage and the tests ran concurrently (somewhat) rather than sequentially with gaps in between. Couple that with the news delighting in pointing out everything that's gone wrong (people fainting, low rate of anaphylaxis just like every other injection) and you have people who want an excuse not to get stuck with a needle finding an excuse not to get stuck with a needle.

I worked seasonal flu vaccinations a few times and I was shocked how many grown assed adults are fucking terrified of getting a shot.
I've heard a couple of alleged vaccine experts claim one of the concerns with the accelerated testing is that while they know it will keep you from getting sick, there's still some doubt as to whether it will keep you from being a carrier. I heard some interviews in which they acknowledged there's a very slim chance nursing home workers should be some of the last people to get vaccinated. I am curious how much concern that has caused in the medical community. I used to work in a crossover of the medical and manufacturing fields and travel extensively, but I'm now long out of touch with that community.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:58 pm

PistolPete wrote:
williaty wrote:
Concur!
Tony D Tiger

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:39 am

I went to three grocery stores tonight to restock my pantry. All the shelves were very well stocked with all the stuff that was hard to find early in the pandemic. I even found wide mouth canning lids.
--Raptor

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:02 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:58 pm
PistolPete wrote:
williaty wrote:
Concur!
I absolutely concur.

There are many reasons to pass on a vaccine not the least of which is the obvious one ... that is having had the virus and recovering from it within the last 6 months confers a natural immunity and thus that vaccination can be passed on to someone more in need of the vaccine.

This on the other hand is typical of the one size fits all approach taken in many places:
Across New York State, medical providers in recent weeks had the same story: They had been forced to throw out precious vaccine doses because of difficulties finding patients who matched precisely with the state’s strict vaccination guidelines — and the steep penalties they would face had they made a mistake.

On Saturday, state health officials responded to the outcry over discarded vaccines by again abruptly loosening guidelines as coronavirus cases continued to rise.

Now, medical providers can administer the vaccine to any of their employees who interact with the public if there are extra doses in a vial and no one from “the priority population can come in before the doses expire,” the new guidelines read. A pharmacy’s “store clerks, cashiers, stock workers and delivery staff” could qualify, the guidelines said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/nyre ... lines.html

BTW the virus headlines here are quite vivid. They however do not seem to match the reality of the on the ground situation.
To date I have had several people I know contract the virus. None needed hospitalization solely due to the virus.

I have had one acquaintance die from it but he was dying from stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
I had another friend die from a heart attack when he was denied a heart stint to save the PPE (this while the abortion clinics remained in operation).
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:19 pm

The reality of the on the ground situation reminds me of an old tale. Wiki: The parable of the blind men and an elephant originated in the ancient Indian subcontinent, from where it has been widely diffused. It is a story of a group of blind men who have never come across an elephant before and who learn and conceptualize what the elephant is like by touching it. Each blind man feels a different part of the elephant's body, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then describe the elephant based on their limited experience and their descriptions of the elephant are different from each other. In some versions, they come to suspect that the other person is dishonest and they come to blows. The moral of the parable is that humans have a tendency to claim absolute truth based on their limited, subjective experience as they ignore other people's limited, subjective experiences which may be equally true.

My SO's childhood friend, in her early 50's, in fine health, died of COVID last week. My SO cried inconsolably.

Linking up the tallies from across America, 400,000 U.S. citizens, people with families and friends, have died of this new disease in the last 11 months. url]https://www.breitbart.com/news/u-s-expe ... n-tuesday/[/url]
That is greater than all the US service deaths in WWII. The rate if death is at its highest, so far, and expected to get higher.

It is so bad in southern California that the air pollution control folks in Los Angeles have removed the limits on the number of bodies a crematorium can cremate due to the tremendous backlog of deceased persons. https://www.breitbart.com/podcast/2021/ ... ths-surge/
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:55 am

FlashDaddy wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:19 pm

My SO's childhood friend, in her early 50's, in fine health, died of COVID last week. My SO cried inconsolably.
Sorry about your SO's friend. I too not exactly happy when I lost my 2 friends as noted above.
I have had one acquaintance die from it but he was dying from stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
I had another friend die from a heart attack when he was denied a heart stint to save the PPE (this while the abortion clinics remained in operation).
That said we will all die at some point. There is no getting away from the fact that life has a 100% mortality rate.

As for ww-2 death analogy; the US population was 132,164,569 based upon the 1940 census. So the death count of 420,000 (over a several year period) represents a .031778 % of the population of the US a that time. BTW the world wide deaths from ww-2 was about 70 to 85 million people, 3% of the world population.

Whereas the 405,000 deaths in 2020 represents .01157% of the 2020 population.

The 1918 pandemic caused 675,000 deaths in the US against a population of 103 million or .06553%. It killed 50 to 100 million people worldwide more than 2x the ww-1 deaths or about equal to WW-2 deaths worldwide. Over 500 million people were infected with that virus.
https://www.npr.org/2020/04/02/82635810 ... -worldwide
Statistically speaking the higher the population for a given mortality % the larger the count of deaths will be to achieve that mortality percentage.

So yes death counts will be higher when population is higher.
FlashDaddy wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:19 pm
The reality of the on the ground situation reminds me of an old tale. Wiki: The parable of the blind men and an elephant originated in the ancient Indian subcontinent, from where it has been widely diffused.
Yep that is a good parable for many reasons.
That said my observation is that the pain and struggles that a person experiences is always (at to least to them) greater than those others experience. It is difficult to relate to the fact that others have endured worse and that the current pain felt today is no worse than the same pain felt by others.

BTW here is a data point from the WHO:
https://www.who.int/news/item/20-01-202 ... rs-2020-05
WHO guidance Diagnostic testing for SARS-CoV-2 states that careful interpretation of weak positive results is needed (1). The cycle threshold (Ct) needed to detect virus is inversely proportional to the patient’s viral load. Where test results do not correspond with the clinical presentation, a new specimen should be taken and retested using the same or different NAT technology.

WHO reminds IVD users that disease prevalence alters the predictive value of test results; as disease prevalence decreases, the risk of false positive increases (2). This means that the probability that a person who has a positive result (SARS-CoV-2 detected) is truly infected with SARS-CoV-2 decreases as prevalence decreases, irrespective of the claimed specificity.
Translated into english a positive for COVID with a Ct of higher than 30 is likely a false positive.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/heal ... sting.html
That also means that a death attributed to COVID may or may not have had a valid positive test, since the recordation protocol may not be accurate.

IMO we will never know the truth about COVID, the true nature of that elephant will remain invisible to the blind...other than the devastated economy, the trashed US .gov balance sheet and the misery caused by the blind in 2020. This extent of the economic damage is evident to even the blind and will be paid for by many generations to come.
Duco Ergo Sum

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:49 pm

I'll also add that with the political and regulatory football Covid has become, clear and honest statistics/info is not always easy to obtain, and that any/all info obtained should be carefully viewed for evidence of bias, especially affirmative bias.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:10 am

February 1, 2021

My county is currently holding in low % confirmed and hospitalizations which keeps amazing me when I look at other county statistics.

My year's supply had dwindled to two months left so made several trips to fully stock for another year while our numbers were low.

While shopping those days I noticed lots of places on the shelves being loosely filled in with non-food items. But I didn't get the impression foods and necessary items were low or missing. Perhaps just shipping or production issues with a few normally carried items. I did notice quite a few alternate labels on paper products though, wondering if the missing brand names were having shipping/production changes or probs.

Have emptied and refilled my water storage; one month drinking and cooking in one liter glass bottles, plus nine EDIT: weeks bottles clean water in two liter plastic bottles that came with water and have only ever held water I can use for cleaning, or in a pinch, cooking and drinking.

In late December then mid-January I experienced days of debilitating pandemic fatigue. This is exhausting.

Now the covid data I trust says the UK variant is probably going to hit us hard in the spring and summer.

After that flu season will be right around the corner again.

It's mind numbing. Like millions of people in my particular age demo and particular situation demo around the world I'm just winging it. I've had different phases I go through as I assume we all have. Sometimes I've feel like I'm losing my mind because it just doesn't end. But most of the time I'm doing okay. Really.

I heard one woman in Paris talking doing all this in her small Parisian apartment with no oven or microwave.

Another in Kenya with no clean water.

A nurse in Sweden saying "I just need time to process. I just need time to process. But there's no time because the sick and dying just keep coming."

So, really, with a small but steady income, a year of stored food, fresh running water, an oven, microwave, and backup crisis water stored, internet, tv, phone with purchased cards for 12 months, and facetime at my disposal my pandemic experience is less a crisis than it could be and is for many others here and around the world.

That it just doesn't stop is wearing me down though.
Last edited by Ever on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

lurkshere

Post by lurkshere » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:56 am

Ever
Have you not had a jab yet?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:32 pm

The UK varient B117 is now in Iowa. :?

btlook1
Favorite Zombie Movies: some of them....

Post by btlook1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:37 pm

Here is small town Kansas we have less than 100 in our county with covid at this time.....certain places are taking names depending on where you work to get you lined up for the vaccine. What I'm kind of surprised about is that many are saying they don't want it when asked. It has been offered to several groups around the county so far but not here yet other than the medical people which should get it first. How many plan to get it when offered? I have no issues and wife and I will get it when it comes around. IF not why?

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:01 pm

btlook1 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:37 pm
How many plan to get it when offered? I have no issues and wife and I will get it when it comes around. IF not why?
I have been offered the vaccine twice and declined each time by substituting others more in genuine need of it(due to impaired immune systems) than me.
I do not want to cut the line even though I can.

I am in no hurry and view the risks I face (or could transmit to others) as minor.

That said the fact that I was not offered Pfizer and Moderna vaccines also played a part of my decision process. Since I am not at excessive risk the moral constraints that I follow took precedent.
Duco Ergo Sum

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:42 pm

lurkshere wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:56 am
Ever
Have you not had a jab yet?
Not yet. It's in the works though.

My county just got going on phase two recently, so the scheduling of appointments is in its first round. Plus being elderly with health issues complicates logistics of safely accepting an appointment; getting there on public transportation (2 buses each way) or taxi (money + are the drivers symptomatic), and arriving/returning with the least wait time at every point (outside in the cold, inside among people) has been daunting. I do have a couple of avenues in the puzzle looking like they're coming together though, when my turn comes up.

(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:53 pm

My state has ~500,000 cases and we're in stage 1b for vaccinations. At 64 years of age that puts me just 6 months shy of being 65 and eligible. I may be eligible at 64 because of underlying health issues but I have no plans to seek inoculation on that basis, or indeed any basis. Oddly, I have an extremely robust immune system when it comes to respiratory issues, and against things like colds & flu in general. I have allergies (allergic to so many things, including cats yet I have three and want more) and I have a broken nose that was set wrong which makes breathing through it difficult at best, but I can't remember the last time I had the flu, maybe 30-40 years ago, and I'm confident that my current regime of sticking to home, mostly in my office, almost never going out and then always masked, and reasonable intake of supplements like vitamin D3 (5k IU /day) and E (400 IU/day) will keep me reasonably safe. And if I get it, I get it. No one lives forever and I need to honor the family tradition of no male living past 72. :wink:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 pm

Like others, I will pass on the Coof shot, ever though I fit into certain catagories. I had the regular Floof shot & I'm good with it.

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:53 pm

btlook1 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:37 pm
Here is small town Kansas we have less than 100 in our county with covid at this time.....certain places are taking names depending on where you work to get you lined up for the vaccine. What I'm kind of surprised about is that many are saying they don't want it when asked. It has been offered to several groups around the county so far but not here yet other than the medical people which should get it first. How many plan to get it when offered? I have no issues and wife and I will get it when it comes around. IF not why?
I've no objection to it, but basically self-assign myself to a low-priority group. I'm single, work from home, no kids, no major drive to socialize, long history of never getting sick, low general risk cohort...basically, I'm about as low-risk in any terms as it's possible to be. I mean, the most in-person socialization I've had in months was the other day at the grocery store, I ran across someone I (apparently? I'm bad even without masks involved.) know and chatted as we walked the same direction...from about 5 feet distance.

Everyone would be better off with higher-risk and higher-exposure individuals being vaccinated before me.

But if we get to the point where work's like "swing by the quack shack and get stuck", I'd wander by and get one.

If I still worked in disaster recovery I'd be pushing to get vaccinated ASAP due to the importance of the work and potential need to travel. I'd probably push--hard--to avoid flights...but these days I'd do that regardless, because flying just sucks so much.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:10 am

boskone wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:53 pm
I'd probably push--hard--to avoid flights...but these days I'd do that regardless, because flying just sucks so much.
The suck that is flying today cannot be adequately impressed upon anyone who has never had the pleasure of enjoying a wonderful Fabada Asturiana and a glass of flavorful red wine, in coach, on a flight from Mallorca to London, or a steak cooked perfectly to order on a flight from NY to LA in a seat with plenty of legroom and a good smoke afterward with your brandy.

Current Weather in My AO

Ever

Post by Ever » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:49 am

I have fond memories of flying in the 70s & 80s; dress nice, interesting people, roomy seats, good food, two free drinks.

Kansas
My county:

Our % numbers and hospitalizations have been nicely trending down. (1.9%)

Two days ago hospitalizations were still going down, but % confirmed started moving back up.

So when I saw that again today I checked if testing was increasing to account for the shift. Not really, pretty much the same numbers there.

Decided to check for reports the UK variant might reached us.

It's just been detected.
Last edited by Ever on Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “All Things Pandemic”