"Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by CG » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:57 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:57 pm
Local judge issued something similar here in Andrews County.

The police don't even enforce the seatbelt and cellphone laws here and those are state laws which can carry big fines, so I highly doubt the cops in my town will enforce this mask mandate.
The Midland mayor has said that cops will not be dispatched for mask violations. So...basically, it'll be used to add on charges for people who piss off the cops.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:09 pm

CG wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:57 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:57 pm
Local judge issued something similar here in Andrews County.

The police don't even enforce the seatbelt and cellphone laws here and those are state laws which can carry big fines, so I highly doubt the cops in my town will enforce this mask mandate.
The Midland mayor has said that cops will not be dispatched for mask violations. So...basically, it'll be used to add on charges for people who piss off the cops.
They may not even be legally enforceable. We were operating under a Stay at Home order for over a month with arrests and charges as a low level misdemeanor that were found by the court to be not enforceable. Strangely the media did near zero reporting on it, even though it was a civil rights issue. Typically though they were add on charges.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7454
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:24 pm

CG wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:57 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:57 pm
Local judge issued something similar here in Andrews County.

The police don't even enforce the seatbelt and cellphone laws here and those are state laws which can carry big fines, so I highly doubt the cops in my town will enforce this mask mandate.
The Midland mayor has said that cops will not be dispatched for mask violations. So...basically, it'll be used to add on charges for people who piss off the cops.
The notice for Andrews seems to have disappeared from the city Facebook page, so I'm guessing the judge here rescinded his order after backlash from both cops and townsfolk.

User avatar
agrippakc
* *
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:24 pm
Location: Shawnee, Kansas- USA
Contact:

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by agrippakc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:04 am

Johnson County KS-July 6th 2020

We are now under a mask order as the the responsibility for orders fell to the counties themselves. It is unclear as to whom is responsible for enforcement. It has come down to place to place as to whether or not we need to where a mask. It's surreal at this point. Everyone is just doing their own things and mask people go to mask places and no mask people go to no mask places. Everyone without a mask is literally daring the authorities to try something. I saw a person tell a police officer about a no mask person and the police officer said to stay 6 ft away from them and walked away.
Image

"A declining institution often experiences survival of the unfittest."
John McCarthy

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6240
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:25 pm

More news on Muscatine. YT vid:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6240
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:27 pm

agrippakc wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:04 am
Johnson County KS-July 6th 2020

We are now under a mask order as the the responsibility for orders fell to the counties themselves. It is unclear as to whom is responsible for enforcement. It has come down to place to place as to whether or not we need to where a mask. It's surreal at this point. Everyone is just doing their own things and mask people go to mask places and no mask people go to no mask places. Everyone without a mask is literally daring the authorities to try something. I saw a person tell a police officer about a no mask person and the police officer said to stay 6 ft away from them and walked away.
That's how it will be all over the country.

I wonder how many people will be calling 911 over no-mask people?

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7454
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:27 pm
agrippakc wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:04 am
Johnson County KS-July 6th 2020

We are now under a mask order as the the responsibility for orders fell to the counties themselves. It is unclear as to whom is responsible for enforcement. It has come down to place to place as to whether or not we need to where a mask. It's surreal at this point. Everyone is just doing their own things and mask people go to mask places and no mask people go to no mask places. Everyone without a mask is literally daring the authorities to try something. I saw a person tell a police officer about a no mask person and the police officer said to stay 6 ft away from them and walked away.
That's how it will be all over the country.

I wonder how many people will be calling 911 over no-mask people?
Another question is how many calls about this are the police actually going to respond to ?

I foresee little to no police intervention over masks. Seems like they'd have bigger issues to deal with, right ?

User avatar
raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by raptor2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:39 pm

Note I am ignoring the day to day increase in cases in NOLA since that # has been shown to be meaningless due to poor data management.

The number of hospitalized has increased by 20% over the last week. However, the number of people on ventilators has remained fairly level with about a 5% increase over the same time frame. The odd part is that the number pf patients on ventilators has remained fairly stable and flat in 2020. Now part of the reason for this is that people die (as well as recover) and thus this number is kept in check by both good and bad results. BTW even with 1600 hospitalized patients there was never a ventilator shortage and in fact at the worst point previously 86% of that capacity remained unused and available.

Based upon hospitalizations, COVID cases are increasing in LA. It appears as though the cases are localized in the larger urban/suburban areas of the state. The mortality rate is (again) skewed by poor record keeping but based upon the ventilator utilization I would say (right now at least) the new cases are no more deadly than previous cases. That would put a probable high end of 4.8% using official stats but very likely a lower % (by an undetermined amount) due to the number of still undiagnosed cases.

https://coronavirus.la.gov/
Duco Ergo Sum


raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by boskone » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:30 pm
I foresee little to no police intervention over masks. Seems like they'd have bigger issues to deal with, right ?
I think mask enforcement will probably be contextual.

Not wearing a mask at the gas station? Probably not. You're not going to be that close to anyone, and even aside from COVID people should wash their hands after handling gas pumps.

Not wearing a mask in the grocery store, and being belligerent about it? Probably so.

And I think the latter case is really the point, but without taking a lot of time to try and legislatively carve out the necessary exceptions. It gives the police a law to fall back on if needed, but they don't have to enforce it when it's not really a big deal.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7454
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:57 pm

boskone wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:30 pm
I foresee little to no police intervention over masks. Seems like they'd have bigger issues to deal with, right ?
I think mask enforcement will probably be contextual.

Not wearing a mask at the gas station? Probably not. You're not going to be that close to anyone, and even aside from COVID people should wash their hands after handling gas pumps.

Not wearing a mask in the grocery store, and being belligerent about it? Probably so.

And I think the latter case is really the point, but without taking a lot of time to try and legislatively carve out the necessary exceptions. It gives the police a law to fall back on if needed, but they don't have to enforce it when it's not really a big deal.
I can see that, Boskone.

Folks in my town are looking at it as more of a suggestion rather than a mandatory requirement. I think the local PD is looking at it that was as well.

Black Beard
* *
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:34 am

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by Black Beard » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:18 pm

Here in UK they found that ventilators didn't help much. They have been using huge amounts of oxygen though.

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1399
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by boskone » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:19 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:57 pm
boskone wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:19 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:30 pm
I foresee little to no police intervention over masks. Seems like they'd have bigger issues to deal with, right ?
I think mask enforcement will probably be contextual.

Not wearing a mask at the gas station? Probably not. You're not going to be that close to anyone, and even aside from COVID people should wash their hands after handling gas pumps.

Not wearing a mask in the grocery store, and being belligerent about it? Probably so.

And I think the latter case is really the point, but without taking a lot of time to try and legislatively carve out the necessary exceptions. It gives the police a law to fall back on if needed, but they don't have to enforce it when it's not really a big deal.
I can see that, Boskone.

Folks in my town are looking at it as more of a suggestion rather than a mandatory requirement. I think the local PD is looking at it that was as well.
Makes sense, if I remember the population of your area right. Why bother enforcing when normal social distancing is like 10 feet? :D

Even here in Navasota, most people aren't masking up, and drive-throughs (here and College Station) seem not to be worrying about it. HEB's enforcing it, Harbor Freight didn't bother (probably because there weren't enough people in the store to make it a big deal). I did see the big church had some sign indicating masks were required.

I also saw a van yesterday with "wash your hands, not your cars" written in the dirt on the back. That made me chuckle.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by CG » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:13 pm

HEB was actually back to enforcing limits on the people in the store when I picked up my order earlier. I didn't go in.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

tony d tiger
* *
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:01 pm

Washington state had logged nearly 36,000 cases with 1,359 deaths as of Monday, according to the state Department of Health.

· Thurston County ended the week with 54 new cases of COVID-19, the highest one-week total since the county began tracking the virus here in early March.

▪ Pierce County announced 52 new cases on Sunday, increasing the overall total to 2,803 cases and 90 deaths.

▪ Lewis County reported at total of 82 cases and three deaths on Sunday.

▪ Mason County has 47 cases and one death.

▪ Grays Harbor County now has 29 cases.

• King County... well it's Seattle, so... :words:
Tony D Tiger

User avatar
Dabster
* * * *
Posts: 822
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by Dabster » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:07 pm

I had kind of a troubling insight yesterday. Throughout the pandemic, my wife and I have been doing the majority of our shopping at Costco. We would only go every two or three weeks, we wore masks, shopped at quieter hours to help maintain 6 feet from others and we tried not to linger. We also picked up some stuff that we didn't like (clothes and some gadgetry). Last night we decided it would be good to return the stuff we had been wanting to take back.

By the register they had a sign saying that rice, water and medical supplies could not be returned. When asked, the clerk emphatically said that they have had a lot of people try to return these items. First of all, I am kind of shocked that people would try to return stuff that they can probably eventually use (I guess some may have over-extended themselves or have other financial issues but I cannot believe they're all broke). Second of all, I am beyond shocked that people think this is over and they should return this stuff.

Am I the only one shocked that anyone could think this thing is over?
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14251
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:22 pm

North Alabama's largest county (Madison) has implemented a mandatory mask requirement to go in effect at 1700 today. The virus is now spreading exponentially. I would highly encourage those that have not had the virus to avoid the area.
Am I the only one shocked that anyone could think this thing is over?
Clearly only certain people think that. So what you are saying is that you are surprised that the people who didn't prepare beforehand, overspent in trying to catch-up, are now trying to cash in their chips because they think it is over? It is the same guy who buys a gun because there was a particularly violent crime near his house and then sells it six months later at a pawn shop because he realized that he doesn't like guns.

Of course there are also profiteers. Water was a particularly bad investment for a profiteer. Medical supplies are expensive but no longer in short supply. Rice? Never really in short supply. So yeah you are likely seeing some profiteers trying to bring back unsold stock.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by raptor2 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:59 pm

Dabster wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:07 pm
Am I the only one shocked that anyone could think this thing is over?
Over is a relative term to me.

My personal Opinion (not claiming it is fact) follows:
COVID is real and a real life threatening virus to a group of people. It should not be underestimated, especially if you are morbidly obese, diabetic, recovering or past cancer patient or in any way have a compromised immune system...or like me just do not want to get sick.

That said I am honestly more afraid of hepatitis, e-coli and a variety of other water and blood borne pathogens that exist and I encounter in everyday situations than I am of COVID. These are risks that IMO are far more deadly than COVID. What has been lost IMO is that it is not that you get COVID but rather that you incur a serious case of COVID or that you pass along to someone else who has a serious reaction.

I think COVID is far more widespread than we realize and thus has a lot lower mortality rate than stats indicate. I note that the death toll from COVID has reached the level of the 1968 Hong Kong Flu pandemic and depending upon the stats the 1957/58 pandemic. but from a percentage of the overall population count not that far off.

But this is different than the last 2 I lived through because there are basically 2 disasters going on here. 1.) There is a medical one, catching the virus and 2.) there are the problems caused be resulting reaction to the pandemic. (panic, intentional cratering of the economy and a much higher general level of fear)

IMO the medical issue is continuing but the virus has (or will) likely mutated into a less deadly form. You still get sick but the dire shortage of ventilators will not materialize. There will still be deaths from it but IMO the risk for the vast majority people lies not in that risk but rather in the second disaster. This medical issue may not be solvable but with logic and common sense it is manageable. That is why the second issue is IMO the real disaster.

The second disaster that brought stupidity like toilet paper shortages, basic PPE being a political issue, food shortages & price increases, violent & irrational behavior, suicides and the general insanity in 2020.

So IMO the problems caused by this pandemic are not over but using or not using PPE will not help us to end this matter.

BTW I would keep the rice, TP and any other long shelf life staple. IMO while I am not worried about the virus I am very concerned about the the second aspect of the pandemic. The reaction of the people.

My $.02.
Edited to add:
For the record I wear a mask and decontaminate everytime I go to a store. I also avoid stores/crowds to the greatest extent possible.
Duco Ergo Sum


raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3704
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:10 pm

Dabster wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:07 pm
I had kind of a troubling insight yesterday. Throughout the pandemic, my wife and I have been doing the majority of our shopping at Costco. We would only go every two or three weeks, we wore masks, shopped at quieter hours to help maintain 6 feet from others and we tried not to linger. We also picked up some stuff that we didn't like (clothes and some gadgetry). Last night we decided it would be good to return the stuff we had been wanting to take back.

By the register they had a sign saying that rice, water and medical supplies could not be returned. When asked, the clerk emphatically said that they have had a lot of people try to return these items. First of all, I am kind of shocked that people would try to return stuff that they can probably eventually use (I guess some may have over-extended themselves or have other financial issues but I cannot believe they're all broke). Second of all, I am beyond shocked that people think this is over and they should return this stuff.

Am I the only one shocked that anyone could think this thing is over?
I worked returns and front end management for a big retail place for a few years. "Financial overextention" seems to be a hobby or national sport in the US.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1280
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by SCBrian » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:14 pm

Am I the only one shocked that anyone could think this thing is over?
No, but we see it all the time in Hurricane situations. Almost all our local stores are refusing refunds for select stuff at this point (Toilet paper, food, medical). Most have been doing it for months. I honestly hope they continue this policy as it might help people learn grudgingly how not to be Jack@$$es.

For my local area, The Charleston Metro area and surrounding counties are all pushing mandatory masks.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3704
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:34 pm

Nebraska, is not pushing masks. I think we are 1 out of 2 states which are not experiencing rising cases. Last I saw (4 days ago?).
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
Dabster
* * * *
Posts: 822
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by Dabster » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:33 pm

Thanks for all of your thoughtful responses. I have been living in my safely paranoid bubble and was startled to hear of so many failing to take this with much seriousness.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

User avatar
CG
* * * *
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by CG » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 pm

Dabster wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:07 pm
*snip*
By the register they had a sign saying that rice, water and medical supplies could not be returned. When asked, the clerk emphatically said that they have had a lot of people try to return these items. First of all, I am kind of shocked that people would try to return stuff that they can probably eventually use (I guess some may have over-extended themselves or have other financial issues but I cannot believe they're all broke). Second of all, I am beyond shocked that people think this is over and they should return this stuff.

Am I the only one shocked that anyone could think this thing is over?
If it makes you feel any better, some of our local stores had those signs up as soon as the shortages started.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Johnnie_T
*
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:37 am
Location: FT Knox, KY

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by Johnnie_T » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I haven’t posted in this thread for a while simply because, in my neck of the woods, there’s been very little to talk about. It’s mostly business as usual here in the northwestern corner of Tennessee. The worst we really have endured is the toilet paper shortage, and even that wasn’t too bad. Some businesses have changed hours and a few of the factories here had temporary lay-offs, but the permanent effects have been minimal.

Mask usage is about 50/50 at most places, slightly higher at grocery stores and Wal-Mart. Restaurants have started to open their dining areas, but at limited capacity. Lots of folks are taking advantage of curbside pick-up.

I do have one thing of note to share. Many of the retirement homes here are accepting COVID patients from other cities and counties, even some from neighboring states. The state is paying these facilities through the nose. Pushing COVID patients into long term care facilities is allowing them to free up hospital beds, but it also skews reporting as it makes the number of hospitalizations appear lower than it actually should.

The local health department, being severely understaffed, is offering free COVID testing with help from Air National Guard medical personnel. Given the intense heat and humidity here, they were conducting testing in PFU’s instead of scrubs, which was pretty amusing to see. Gym clothes aside, their drive-up test site was a model of efficiency and the entire process of testing and paperwork took about ten minutes. They are using the nasal swab test. Results are being given online to minimize contact.

Life goes on mostly as normal, and the changes are visible, but hardly life-altering.

User avatar
raptor2
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by raptor2 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:40 pm

I am sorry to hear that they are sending COVID patients to nursing/retirement homes in your area. That is the key reason that the mortality rate is as high as it is in many states.

The residents of those facilities are generally in a higher risk category and IMO this activity is clearly an intentional act of negligence.
Duco Ergo Sum


raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

Post Reply

Return to “All Things COVID-19”