"Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:31 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:46 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:36 pm
From RUMOR CONTROL: Gov. Kim Reynolds has suspended all rent, utility, & mortgage payments.

*big grain of salt*
This is not true. There is campaign afoot for it. The state however has no such power and no way of granting itself such authority short of Eminent Domain.

HUD did announce that THEY were suspending all foreclosures and evictions through the end of April.
Not surprised at all. It is still being passed around here, though.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:58 pm

There are now 366 confirmed cases of Covid19 in Éire, an increase of 74.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

moab

Post by moab » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:16 pm

The shelves in LA are very bare. I've been to stores a few times over the last few days. Winco's was out of bulk food. Except for a certain type of thai jasmine brown rice. The rest of the shelves and meat sections were maybe a quarter full. And very messed up. Looked like looters had hit the place. Today I went to the local Kroger (Ralphs) the entire paper aisle is gone. Bare shelving units. No potatoes. Big section of produce department bare. I didn't go down the water aisle. Even Walgreens have the shelves looted. Not everything gone but big gaps where product used to be. AT least here in LA I don't believe the reports that we don't have a food shortage. If nothing else we definitely have a food supply chain problem. Shelves are not getting restocked like reports here say. I think they are just trying to keep the populace from freaking out. But I'm a skeptic so who knows.

The weirdest part is the freeways are all running without traffic jams. It's not deserted. But not LA traffic by a long shot.

Of course schools, restaurants and bars closed down. Except they can deliver food and offer take out.

Wishing I had some gas cans. And more water storage.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:56 pm

Same here. completely bare paper shelves. No luncheon meats, Not much of anything in meat department. No Cereal, very little canned goods ( luckily we found tomato sauce for a recipe ). No soup, No rice, beans, bread , Most of frozen foods empty. Pet food ransacked 3/4 empty. Fresh produce looked ok but there were big gaps. The water they had was a couple pallets of one gallon water and a two pallet display of Pepsi water (@ almost $6.00 for 40 16 oz.) . When we got there no eggs but then they stocked some. This as my daughter txting me she just then read on news they had restocked the store (Walmart ).
My son n laws sister, told him she paid $10.00 for a jar of Ragu in Redondo Beach.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:02 pm

Central Indiana:

Earlier today, Aldi was out of Thyme, the seasoning. A friend has extra Thyme, but is low on TP. I have plenty of TP. I just arranged my first trade of the pandemic! :D
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:21 pm

AT least here in LA I don't believe the reports that we don't have a food shortage. If nothing else we definitely have a food supply chain problem. Shelves are not getting restocked like reports here say. I think they are just trying to keep the populace from freaking out. But I'm a skeptic so who knows.
You have a food chain supply problem. All that food that people were getting from restaurants they are not getting there anymore. All the food the kids were getting at schools, same. They are going to the grocery and buying there instead. The grocery store has never seen anything like it, really ever. A lot of small town grocery stores were plowed under by Walmart in the last few decades and now in many places it is either Walmart or nothing.
The weirdest part is the freeways are all running without traffic jams. It's not deserted. But not LA traffic by a long shot.
Out here in the hinterboonies traffic has fallen off the cliff. Between 12A and 5A there is nothing. Then a trickle.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:19 pm

77 cases in Hampshire now but no eaasy way to identify how many deaths.

The slightly worrying numbers from the gov.uk website here is that we're 103 deaths but only 65 recovered; I guess it's because death taakes less time to confirm!

Further to Wee Drop's latest updates, English schools close on Friday. No date yet set for them to reopen, no word on what will happen for the 16- and 18-year-olds and their exams due on May and June. The strong suspicion in my household is that schools will remain closed until September (when the new school year starts).

At work, three folk from my team (of 15 or so) working from home, one sent home on paid leave as he's in a particularly vulnerable group, one self-isolated with his household. Productivity for those of us remaining is down as we're all comping in our own ways; more banter, more jokes, more watching-the-news-sites.

Went to a local mid-sized supermarket on the way home from work, around 5pm (not the best time to choose, I'll admit). Several empty or near-empty aisles. Little fresh meat, fruit and veg but plenty of dairy. Not much breakfast cereal or tea! No flour, and the only bread was the in-store bakery loaves. Frozen food was patchy but if you wanted something you'd probably find a close substitute. Didn't look for pasta, rice, TP, soap.

Took advantage of Amazon Prime to send my mother some chocolates for Mother's Day (this coming Sunday, may vary by location).
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:41 pm

The Iowa DNR is starting to close the ranges. The two manned ranges closest to me have already closed. :( :cry: :gonk:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:46 pm

Four more cases confirmed in Kansas since yesterday

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/Healt ... 02611.html
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

doitnstyle1
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road, The Book of Eli, After the Dark

Post by doitnstyle1 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:18 pm

I went to go buy onions today to make a dish, and I was surprised at how bare a lot of the shelves were here in western Colorado. I sort of likened it to Communist Cuba.
Non-perishable dry stock items potatoes, onions, squash we're all gone. I grabbed the last bottle of distilled water off the shelf and there was 1- 2 gallon bottle of mineral water.
I spoke to my sister in Miami, and she told me that the shelves there were pretty much stocked except for the toilet paper.
I imagine it had to do with it being a much larger City and them rerouting trucks to stock the shelves there because those are the cities that are most reported on by the media.
"All religious stuff aside, the fact is people who can't kill will always be subject to those who can." - Brad "Iceman" Colbert, Generation Kill

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:17 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:46 pm
Four more cases confirmed in Kansas since yesterday

https://www.wibw.com/content/news/Healt ... 02611.html
oh, frak. where in douglas
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

thebigstick

Post by thebigstick » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:48 am

Hey again zombie family I've been away for a while and then lurking before that but all the preps that y'all taught me are definitely Shining for the family now.

I'm in LA as well and yeah the shelves are pretty bare no paper products For Love or Money.

Stay safe out there.
Visit the new Southern California Zombie Squad chapter ZS:44
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=134

Ever

Post by Ever » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:52 am

Wednesday March 18, 2020
US - 8,752 active, 150 deceased
Kansas - 17 active, 1 deceased

personal report:
Bug In: Day 11

stress level today:
- better sleep last night (day for the rest of ya)

mental preparedness exercises for coming zombie attack:
- practiced mindfulness meditation

inhouse report:
- made an alternative dish with couscous, egg, tomatoes
w jalapenos, added more jalapenos, cumin, and a hefty amt of black pepper... yum
- made an alternative dish w couscous, oatmeal, a quarter tsp canola oil, raisins, and a smidgen of butter..... yummy

COVID-19 mitigation report:
- upon hearing COVID-19 is probably airborne I cut several 5'X8" strips from a clear-ish 65 gallon bag to line the edges of the outside of the front door because it's closure allows in top/bottom/both sides enough hallway air to cause a breeze within the apartment.

I worked it until I had no inflow of air from the hallway.

The bottom was tricky. I settled on stretching a strip across the bottom connected to left and right jams, reaching 5 inches up and secured with packing tape to the floor, and loose enough to be sucked into the gap between floor and door.

Several places on top & sides were loosely taped to prevent sucking inside when the door opened, but still loose enough to create air stop in the gap when closed. And opens nicely to allow air to flow out when balcony door is opened.

If worse comes to worst and this building is massively infected I am going to use the packing tape on the inside door perimeter to seal it to the jam and floor. But with just a single strip along the gaps it will be easy open from outside or inside if needed or desired.

physical preparedness for coming zombie attack:
- did some reasonably good stretches.
- did an extra long walk at dusk (morning for me, evening for everyone else) Quite a few people out just walking. Pleasant.
- took stairs exiting an entering my floor.

apartment building report:
- only saw one resident today

local report:
- our town has closed down most everything in attempt to slow the zombie down to flatten the peak curve.
- noticeably fewer cars on the road. I crossed 4 lane roads anywhere I wanted during my walk because of long intervals between cars in any lane.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

M813

Post by M813 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:22 am

I called out from work for 2 weeks, starting Tuesday March, 17th.
I had a total of 4 co-workers report having an odd fever for 24 hours, so I decided that was close enough, and pulled the ejection handle.

I have a half acre, so the wife and I have plenty of space to move about and get sunshine. We've been doing housework and yardwork and generally being very productive, which is good for morale. Still plenty of food and supplies. Veg garden is coming along nicely. Really, I think we could get along for 2 months or more. If we start fishing and crabbing, even longer.

My boat, which is my bugout vehicle rotted the exhaust out due to salt cooling water. Bad timing. I managed to get a custom replacement welded up out of stainless steel and get it all back together. I will start prepping the boat for an extended departure as a backup.

My major concern, is that governors are now talking of drastically reducing arrests and releasing "non-violent offenders" from prisons. There are ZERO cases of COVID reported in any Maryland prison, so I think this is a BAD idea. Even a normally non-violent pothead is going to get violent when released into society with NO resources to care for themselves.

I slept poorly last night, jumping at every little sound.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:07 am

Central Indiana:

From IDoH website http://www.state.in.us/isdh/28470.htm
Covid cases = 56 (17 more than yesterday)
Covid deaths= 2 (no change)
Total tests = 380 (187 more than yesterday

So the good news is they are doing a lot more testing but still not enough to get a good picture of community spread in a state with 6.6 million folks.

Two towns, Carmel and Fishers, have restricted road travel to only essential reasons, which includes work, doctoring, food shopping, caring for others and food delivery. Carmel closed all its playgrounds. Yes you could get arrested for using the swing set

All bank lobbies are closed but drive-ups and ATMs open. The slow motion disaster continues. We will get through this together!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:22 am

Eastern Washington, Western USA.
-5 cases confirmed in this area.
-Preps are holding well. With additional time my wife is really spoiling us gastronomically.
-Hospitals have triage tents in their parking lots.
-Schools are closed.
-I have been working from home for about two weeks. My wife always works from home.
-Kids have been out of school since last Friday.
-Keeping kids busy has been a challenge. If given a choice they would play video games all day but this makes them aggressive and unsociable. School has not sent any assignments home yet. We are generating homework and making them read books and giving them additional household chores, unfortunately this also makes them aggressive and unsociable.
-Biggest issue is uncooperative neighbors and their children. Provided they stay 6+ feet away from each other we let our kids play with the girl down the street. We later saw her and her brother playing basketball with another bunch of kids. Their father is in the medical industry and knows better. We are discouraging contact with them. Then some loon is driving an ice cream truck around AND SELLING ICE CREAM! Our kids aren't getting money from that but the reckless behavior is galling.
-Rumors that the State Governor is going to order a shelter in place policy soon. It will be interesting seeing how that goes.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

JeffLrrp
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later

Post by JeffLrrp » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:43 am

We have 3 positive case in my immediate area.

The VA Supreme Court has recently curtailed most local court functions statewide for the time being.

The 28 deputies in my sheriff's office start a new shift schedule for the next several weeks. Most usually work M-F 8-4pm. New shifts are in two teams of deputies in 12hr shifts, so if one team gets quarantined the other shift can take over courthouse/civil process operations until their return. Our city's police department is limiting interactions with the public, only responding to more serious calls. My office is the direct reserve for the city PD and the regional jail to use to supplement their forces, so this was a good move to preserve manpower should the infection start hitting hard.

If you or like minded friends/family/neighbors don't have a firearm and a good tactical flashlight, I would buy now while you still can, because from what I hear, law enforcement all over the country are limiting service calls to limit their exposure to infection. Not to mention a lot of correctional facilities are getting the go-ahead to start releasing nonviolent offenders. A lot of criminals are about to be on the street with no job and plenty of time to think up stupid stuff.

At my house I get gas in my POV once it gets down to 3/4 a tank. I've withdrawn some money out of the bank to counter the possibility of a run on financial institutions. We have installed security cameras on the front and back doors of the house, and run our outside security lights all the time now. Wife has her CCW permit but hasn't shot her Walther PPS M2 in about a year. We are rectifying that on Saturday.

I go to the grocery store every 2 or 3 days now and pick up doubles of items that I usually get. Most of the stores I have hit in the last week are devoid of TP and paper products, cleaning products, bottled water, fresh meats etc. My little family of three could last about 2 months on the grocery supplies I have, so thats pretty good.
Cymro wrote:
czechnology wrote: I totally heart you, in a manly, heterosexual, secure way, of course.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:16 pm

A late update today, likely due to the big increase:
UPDATE on coronavirus (#COVID19) testing in the UK:

As of 1pm on 19 March, a total of 64,621 have been tested:

61,352 negative.
3,269 positive.
That’s 643 new confirmed cases of Covid19 in the UK.
There are now 77 confirmed cases of Covid19 here.
144 patients who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have sadly died.
That’s 40 new fatalities, one of which was here in Northern Ireland :(

Éire has had a bad day:
there are now 191 more cases of COVID-19 bringing the total to 557. A large rise but increased testing will have contributed to that. A further death brings the number of fatalities to 3 :(
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 pm

One thing I have noticed...the local news sources sucked for Katrina and they are even worse now.

Getting any useful news/information from the local TV & newspaper sites is damn near impossible. The coverage locally is vaporous and devoid of useful never mind time content. I seem to get a better macro local data from foreign sources than from the local.

Nextdoor is an absolute CF in terms of anything except misinformation.
Other social media seems to be equally useless.

No point just an observation.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:07 pm

raptor wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 pm
One thing I have noticed...the local news sources sucked for Katrina and they are even worse now.

Getting any useful news/information from the local TV & newspaper sites is damn near impossible. The coverage locally is vaporous and devoid of useful never mind time content. I seem to get a better macro local data from foreign sources than from the local.

Nextdoor is an absolute CF in terms of anything except misinformation.
Other social media seems to be equally useless.

No point just an observation.
Of course. That is why ZS exists.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:24 pm

New orders from the governor.

All restaurants are now take out/ delivery only.

All gatherings of 25 persons or more, or gatherings of any size that cannot maintain a consistent six-foot distance between persons, are prohibited. This Order shall apply to all gatherings, events or activities that bring 25 or more persons in a single room or single space at the same time.

All beaches will be closed effective today at 5 p.m.

Preschools and childcare centers will be closed effective at close of school or business today.

Effective immediately, all Hospitals and Nursing Home/Long Term Care Facilities (including Assisted Living and Specialty Care Assisted Living Facilities) shall prohibit visitation

All elective dental and medical procedures shall be delayed, effective immediately. This has been a huge point of contention in the medical field. Plastic surgery is practically off the market now as well as things that are not problems today but; due to delay could become a problem.

All bars in the State are now officially closed. Strippers everywhere are in a panic. How will they be able to pay their college tuition and make payments to their tattoo artists? Maybe they can do curbside service/ delivery? There is a 100% chance that underground speakeasy will make a return.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:24 pm

All gatherings of 25 persons or more, or gatherings of any size that cannot maintain a consistent six-foot distance between persons, are prohibited. This Order shall apply to all gatherings, events or activities that bring 25 or more persons in a single room or single space at the same time.
Does this close high rise office buildings?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:32 pm

A little late, but it should be live soon. @1532 CDT.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:41 pm

raptor wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:28 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:24 pm

Does this close high rise office buildings?
Ok first off it is Alabama. So not too many high rise buildings. The tallest building in the state belongs to the state retirement fund. The largest office buildings mostly belong to the USG and are on Redstone Arsenal and Marshall Space Flight Center. As Federal Property they are exempt.

But no, so long as they can maintain social distancing they can stay open. This means controlling the lobby, shutting down the cafeteria that kind of thing. Not sure how it works for a cubicle farm. When I worked in one there were about 200 people in "single room". The room was huge of course and stayinf six feet away was no problem.

Most of the factories are already shuttered.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “All Things COVID-19”