"Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: "Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area"

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Well, The CinC was brief. I thought I go on about....stuff.

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:16 pm

Discussion about staffing today at work, and how Operations runs on partial capacity. After showing the numbers and the rate of infection, there was some concern about what do things look like in a 6-8 weeks. I've learned that a lot of people don't really understand exponential increases in things.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:28 pm

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2020
US - 1,312
Kansas - still sitting at 1 I think

personal report:
Bug In: Day 4

stress level today: 1

mental preparedness exercises for coming zombie attack:
- 20 minutes mindfulness breathing exercise to reduce cortisol and other stress chemical production.

inhouse report:
- cleaned one 5 gallon bucket & two 2 1/2 gallon buckets to start secreting final preps gathered that are in bags all over the floor.
- transferred hand sanitizer & wipes to 5 gallon bucket
- transferred grocery bags of beans and rice to buckets
- transferred storage spices, supplements, OTC meds to buckets
- pulled out my Wonder Wash laundry washer for when COVID's here and I can't use the building's laundry facilities because the walking infected are there.
- some sign the lentils-or-peas 'may' be trying to sprout.

COVID-19 mitigation report:
- made UNbraided paracord wristband to hang small hand sanitizer for easy access instead of pocket (possible contamination of a pocket if hands are in need of sanitizing) as well as easier sanitizing of band itself rather than a braided one.
- copied same for keys, to keep them outside of pocket (same reasons) when needed.
- better at social distancing today
- shoe sanitation station needs work. (very small entryway) and practice for smoothness before COVIDzombie arrives.
- entry hand sanitizing order needs work too. 🤔 Maybe use hand sanitizer before entering each time. (mitigates contamination of door handle, spray bottle for shoe sanitizing, wristbands w keys/sanitizer, AND the soap pump top & faucet handle) Remove jacket, pull up sleeves, wash w soap, rinse. Second wash and rinse with white vinegar (spray bottle) to mitigate dry hands from all this washing. (white vinegar is my winter staple for dry skin)

physical preparedness for coming zombie attack:
- full set of stairs in stairwell (top to bottom up/down) for bug in cardio & muscle strengthening.
- Took a walk after most of res settled in for the 🌙
- Fire fighters' stress breathing: in 4 counts, hold 4 counts, out 4 counts, hold 4 counts. It's called Box Breathing.

apartment building report:
- didn't go downstairs until everyone is normally in for the night, but it was unusually quiet on my floor all day

grocery store report:
- 10pm walk through, multiple carts filled high at checkout
- store was shopped dramatically down
- allllll the shelves & stacks of tp wiped out
- large swathes of canned beans gone
- bagged rice and bean almost gone
- spaghetti sauce & pasta had gaping holes
- pasta in general
- canned veggies, fruit, & soups shopped heavily
- shelves of cleaning sprays & wipes emptied
- boxed macaroni & cheese shopped heavily
- laundry & dish soap too
- cold OTC meds took a hit
- Gatorade products hit especially hard
- raman, peanut butter, vegie & olive oils
- cereals
- kitty litter

Something must have happened in the news today.

On my way to the wifi hotspot on my floor to grab today's confirmed count and post this.... then check Wuhan & sitrep threads for today's updates.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:41 pm

Yep, I see a 'lot' has happened in the news today.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:48 pm

Things have gone full retard in my AO. This is only half the TP aisle...completely empty.

I’m gonna stand out on a street corner selling rolls from my stash...make a shit load of $$!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by airmandan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:21 am

Well Kuwait is damn near on lockdown. They’re going to be restricting all flights in and out, only ones who can fly are actual Kuwaiti’s and cargo aircraft. Shopping centers, banks and gov offices will be closed for the next 2 weeks. Going to get interesting I think.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:36 am

Confirmed COVID-19 cases jump to 11 in Indiana, including cases in Howard & Johnson counties, which are in central Indiana, but also cases in far northeast part of the state
https://www.theindychannel.com/coronav ... n-counties

Our official State Dept. of Health site is not only 36 hours behind the actual data but also shows only 43 - that’s right - 43 people have been tested
http://www.state.in.us/isdh/28470.htm
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

M813

Post by M813 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:57 am

CorpsmanUp wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:30 pm
I'm in southern maryland.

We were out and about visiting my sister in Va.

My daughter started vomiting this morning. Sometime late this morning I started coughing. I have a good read on my body and I feel I'm coming down with something. The symptoms feel flu like, though.

There have been cases in Prince Georges County North of me. Cases popping up in DC as well.

Had my preps in order for a while now. Added some more over the week. Still time down here before the panic if any.
You sir, go to bed and self-isolate for 14 days! I'm right up the road from you!

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:41 am

Kansas State University suspends in person classes

https://www.k-state.edu/today/info/anno ... /?id=62941
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:49 am

As of 3pm there are now 596 cases of Covid19 in the UK, with 10 fatalities.
Coronavirus: UK deaths related to virus rise to 10 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51845861
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:58 am

Location: Eastern Washington in Western USA, 300 miles East of the Kirkland epicenter,
Nearby Covid-19 Cases: None reported within 90 miles.

Schools:
University of Idaho still considering moving classes online during coronavirus outbreak
All Spokane Public Library events cancelled over COVID-19 concerns
City of Spokane officials encourage community to practice social distancing amid coronavirus outbreak
State health department confirms 366 positive cases of COVID-19, 29 deaths
State health exchange offers special enrollment period due to virus
2020 Washington Middle School Basketball Championship postponed over COVID-19 concerns
March Sadness: NCAA says no fans allowed at upcoming basketball tournaments
Elementary and Secondary Schools are still holding classes

Social:
The St. Patrick's Parade on Saturday was cancelled.

Personally:
My employer has directed everyone possible to work from home. Being a good prepper I have been WFH since last Wednesday.
Preps are holding.
Keeping kids isolated is difficult.
Wish I had purchased more 7.62x51 before this started
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 am

The St Patrick's Day parades in NOLA have been cancelled.

A map of cases in LA.
https://www.khou.com/article/news/healt ... fc20450a6f

Unfortunately a cluster of 3 cases have occurred at Lambeth House which is an assisted living/nursing home complex.
That is not likely to end well.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/a ... 280fa.html

My in laws are prime risks and we have assisted by making sure they stay in their house and do not go out.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:44 am

Unfortunately a cluster of 3 cases have occurred at Lambeth House which is an assisted living/nursing home complex.
That is not likely to end well.
NOLA and nursing homes....

Locally, Spring Break traffic has been completely crushed. Normally this time of the year our hotels are all full of people moving North and South to and from the Redneck Riviera. Right now occupancy is lower than normal. Gas is below $2 at every discount station and the higher end stations are around $2. Everything is available at all stores except hand sanitizer and some flu related products.

Had to visit the ED of the local hospital last night on business. It was packed, they had patients in the hallway next to the nurse station waiting for beds. Had nothing to do with the virus, it was just a busy night. My point being that if they can barely handle a busy Wednesday then the virus rolling through here is going to be impossible.

The Alabama Superintendent of Schools stated that anyone testing positive for the Virus would be given two weeks free sick leave to self quarantine.

Blue Cross/ Blue Shield (insures about 90% of the state) stated that they are transitioning to having their employees work from home to process claims. I have Tricare so mmm...

In Tennessee, UT has suspended in person classes. Vandy will likely be next.

The TDH did not want to release any information on locations of the virus where people have tested positive but reversed that yesterday afternoon. Most cases are in central TN.

Allergy season is kicking off in this area. Everything it starting to flower. I have been getting some musousy cough which is normal for this time of the year. I have to wonder how many people are going to show up at the hospital for allergy symptoms? Or on the flip side ignore virus symptoms thinking that it is allergies?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Up to 10,000 people in the UK are likely to have Covid19. The chief scientific adviser says the real number of infected people was much higher than the 590 identified cases.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51862 ... type=share
Also from tomorrow we have moved into the Delay phase both in the UK and in Éire.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:45 pm

The panic has escalated in my area. They mayor called for major events to be canceled, including two parades and a variety of sporting events. The BBQ joint across from my work normally has a line out the door, today 2/3 of the seats were open. As well, they used to have BBQ sauce at the tables and metal silverware. They have reverted to single cups of BBQ sauce and plastic forks.

We are our own worst enemy. My city will lose way more people to murder this year than covid, yet covid is driving people to shut down their lives. It's no wonder the market is taking a dive.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:54 pm

I just came from Hawaii yesterday. Costco & Target are out of toilet paper and vitamins. Had to go to an obscure Longs/CVS. Minimal canned goods available in major retailers.
I'm in Manila now. Seems there will be a community quarantine starting sunday.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Maine has it's first reported case as of today. Best of luck to Alabama, Alaska and West Virginia, the remaining states with no reported cases. Although it's a fool's bet thinking the virus isn't already in those three states. It just hasn't been reported yet.

All sorts of craziness in supermarkets and big box stores up here; the usual stuff - I won't bore you with details. All social and civic events are getting cancelled. Every college in Maine is sending their students home for spring break and advising them they can't come back.

I work for a large disability insurer, we all have flex workstations and laptops. Everyone is now required to bring their laptops home with them every night. I suspect we're only a few days away from the building doors being barred and everyone required to work from home (which I absolutely hate). I count myself as one of the lucky ones though; lots and lots of jobs out there that can't be done remotely.

Brazilian government official with direct face to face contact with Trump 5 days ago has now tested positive. They're probably already doing this, but Trump and Pence absolutely need to be physically separate from each other at all times until this pandemic is under control.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:32 pm

A total of 70 cases of Covid19 now in Éire, with an increase of 27 today.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:46 pm

Maine has it's first reported case as of today. Best of luck to Alabama, Alaska and West Virginia, the remaining states with no reported cases. Although it's a fool's bet thinking the virus isn't already in those three states. It just hasn't been reported yet.
God's country. We are clearly a moon.
They're probably already doing this, but Trump and Pence absolutely need to be physically separate from each other at all times until this pandemic is under control.
OR, keep them together. Just saying. :wink:
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:39 pm

My kid’s high school just announced no school tomorrow, quarterly exams cancelled and on Monday they are closing the campus entirely and switching to remote e-learning until (at least) April 6th.

Edit: Indiana’s governor just gave all schools a 20 day waiver off the requirement for a 180 day school year. He has also ended prison visitations :shock: and a host of other stuff:
https://www.wishtv.com/news/indiana-ne ... y-waivers/
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:49 pm

Hmm ... full moon and Friday the 13th... jeeez I can hardly wait for tomorrow.

OrangeJoe
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by OrangeJoe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:04 pm

My county just got confirmed as “epicenter of the epidemic.”

All schools closed until March 30th.

There goes the neighborhood.
crypto wrote:The world has gone to shit, the undead are shambling at your doorstep, you've got a thousand pounds of beans in the basement, and you want your wife to shove a rubber thimble up her vag because you didnt stockpile tampons and pads?
Zoltan wrote:Drinking from bottles full of BPA makes me feel like a real man!

Ioannes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Ioannes » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:58 pm

California: 179 cases so far

Locally, Costco was packed. They had NO canned goods. Many items were severely bought down and the overheads on many aisles were empty. The pallets of batteries looked untouched, and fresh fruits/veggies were full. I looked at what folks were buying and it seemed to revolve around fairly day-to-day stuff. There were several people buying carts full of water and stuff like that, but most folks had just a few items. The lines went quick, but PPE was in effect by the cashiers and each cashier had a dedicated person wiping down the registers.

Winco Foods was similarly busy. Here, water was low, but pasta and sauce, chips, crackers, and baking goods were really low. Lots of folks in the dry bulk area. Lines were really long and all the registers were open. Lines went quick. I saw a few people with energy drinks and stuff like that piled up in carts. Winco shoppers were buying far more than Costco shoppers, and by the look of it, it was a much wider variety of goods.

So, I guess the bottom line is - at this point there are still plenty of supplies to be had. I expect the supply to drop as we go forward, just need to get through the tight spot before it starts up again as we normalize.

So... statewide, the Governor has limited gatherings to 250 people or less. Disneyland has closed. Professional sports is a wreck. Many businesses are moving to WFH situations. I have a friend who works at Intel; they do everything remotely now, instead of just most of everything (that wasn't too hard a transition for them). My best friend and his wife work for General Dynamics - they've gone to remote working. Again, not too big a deal on the office end - not sure how this translates down to the contractor level where the actual production is happening.

I just keep waiting for the next shoe to drop. I fully expect my district to close schools - we're waiting on an advisement that's due out today. That all comes down to money - the district would love to continue being proactive, but cannot afford to shoulder the entire financial burden themselves. I assume district is having some close talks with the state about the next steps. We're probably going to work these days off at the end of the school year (which is going to be chaotic, but it is totally doable).

My wife still feels I am overreacting to this. I tried to explain that it isn't the bug itself I'm worried about (hell, I may have had it already) - it's the ripple effect. I'm looking down the event chain and planning for a worst-case kinda scenario. If we decide to stay at home for 2 months, we can do that without any harm - or need to leave the house.

Since the two kids have been home all week, in addition to her day care kids,the wife is starting to get a bit frazzled. Now that the last of the preps are done, I can step in and help take the load off of her by working with kids. The psychological effects are the hardest thing to deal with so far - and it's only been a few days. I am going to have to get creative in keeping the kids occupied. They might get voluntold to help me prep the garden for planting! LOL!
Quo mihi Fortunam si non conceditur uti?

Lambykins
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Meat (Birthday party with zombies! Coolest birthday EVER!!!)
28 Days and 28 Weeks Later...nicely gory.
Shaun of the Dead
Anything with Keanu Reeves...oh...he's NOT a zombie? Wow. Coulda fooled me...

Post by Lambykins » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Lambytown update:
People starting to feel the panic.
Thursday is normally a slow day.
Not today!
Most customers on Thursdays are just buying a few things...
Again, not today!
Average order on a Thursday is around 26 bucks according to our figured. Average grocery order today was $148.00 :shock:
I had several come through my register that were over $300.00 !
I had one lady buy $100 in just toilet paper!
Nearest Walmart (50 miles away) had fistfights over toilet paper!
Word got around that we had plenty of tp and several people drove in from towns up to 70 miles away to buy toilet paper, alcohol,etc.

It's getting crazy y'all.
Every normal man must, at times, be tempted to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats -- HL Mencken

My zazzle: http://www.zazzle.com/fripperyfarm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; New line of Frippery Farm merchandise!
My blog: http://droptheshoe.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; My misadventures in farming and livestock raising!

Return to “All Things COVID-19”