COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: COVID-19 Thread

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:06 pm

As world struggles to stop deaths, far right celebrates COVID-19

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featu ... 45387.html

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Just an official reminder: Our no politics rule is in full effect and does not contain any "but" clause or exception. It will be strictly enforced.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JT42

Post by JT42 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm

Sadly, we hit a milestone today: USA now has the highest total number of documented Covid-19 cases.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 pm

JT42 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm
Sadly, we hit a milestone today: USA now has the highest total number of documented Covid-19 cases.
I'm betting that has a lot to do with better documentation. But I could be wrong.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:42 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:18 pm
JT42 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm
I'm betting that has a lot to do with better documentation. But I could be wrong.
We've been flying blind for a while now, and I am still hearing numerous local instances of people showing classical COVID-19 symptoms, but who are "mild" cases, being told to just self quarantine without testing. Most of them will recover OK, and some may come back later with worsened symptoms, at which point they may be allocated into some of the limited testing capacity that we have (although at that point it matters even less whether they eventually test positive or not).

The near-sighted argument is that it will not change their clinical disposition or treatment (in the "mild" cases), but the loss is the visibility of whether the actions we are taking right now are helping at all. If we are just discovering more cases by the day, because we are finally starting to test more people, but the true rate of daily infection is actually falling, we won't know that until much later than we could have. Additionally, we lose some of the statistics of how severe the virus actually is. I don't think anyone is reporting "clinically suspected" cases of COVID-19 as confirmed cases in the US (like how China later changed their counting policy) - it comes with its own complications of possible inclusion of non-COVID-19 cases, but I think we should at least be keeping a tally of clinically suspected cases as well.

Ultimately, it was a prep fail on behalf of the US, for not being able to adequately test people from the start. Some of the epidemiologists bemoaning our current situation have said that none of them ever expected that testing would have been the part that we broke down on. Ventilators, etc., sure, we thought that might cause issues in a pandemic, but we never expected to fail at the step of just testing. :P
Last edited by JayceSlayn on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 pm

Anyone else live alone and find themselves working from home for the first time? It's an odd experience; hours stretching into days without human contact. It reminds me a bit like 9/11. I was married then, had a wife and young daughter to look after and, frankly, to share the experience with. But still, I remember feeling oddly vulnerable in a way I hadn't expected. I've always been a take-charge kind of guy. I usually have a plan and in those rare instances where I didn't, I improvise; and fairly well, if I do say so myself. 9/11 threw me for a loop because I suddenly wondered whether I might not be able to think my way out of what might happen next. Honestly, it's what got me started prepping in the first place.

Now I'm alone. I've got friends but of course I'm not supposed to interact with them face to face. Email and social media help, but it's not the same. I did a social distance hike with one of my friends today. It ended with my pitching toilet paper rolls to her from a safe distance in the parking lot. Then we said our good byes and left. That's what passes for normal behavior these days.

I'm less than two weeks into this, but I find I'm already getting a little goofy. And oddly emotional. For instance, I actually teared up a bit watching this video vignette. I'm taking notes about myself because while this isn't TEOTWAWKI, it's sort of a dry run. And if the real deal ever happens, I'm starting to realize mental health is going to play a big part in who survives and who doesn't.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/players/o ... 0007054051
Last edited by majorhavoc on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:18 pm

Rapid testing is coming to America. The Germans have had success with it.

https://bgr.com/2020/03/26/coronavirus- ... lity-rate/

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory ... s-69488375
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

JT42

Post by JT42 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:43 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:01 pm
Anyone else live alone and find themselves working from home for the first time? It's an odd experience; hours stretching into days without human contact...
My employer normally has a very strict "no-work-from-home" policy but when they relaxed it about two weeks ago I started working from home. Good thing, too, because earlier this week an area-wide "stay-at-home" order went out from local officials.

Since it is the first time they've permitted work from home, it's also the first time I've had so little contact with people. But for me, it's a blessing. Interacting with people is very draining on me. I have no fears of going goofy. In fact, I'm looking forward to retirement when I can live this life all the time! No facebook, instagram, or whatsap, either.

I also now have the best office mate I've ever had. She's feline, is usually pretty quiet, but she does occasionally interrupt me for an emergency belly rub.

I do still leave the house once a week on the weekend to do some volunteer work at an animal shelter. The shelter is closed to the public right now but we still have cleaning crews go in there daily to take care of the cats. I normally work with two other volunteers, but right now there is just one because the other one works at a hospital and due to obvious reasons is very busy with her day job right now. So I guess I still do interact with one other human a week, but she's a lot like me, plus there isn't much socializing since we're busy taking care of the cats.

s.leinicke

Post by s.leinicke » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:25 am

majorhavoc wrote:
I'm starting to realize mental health is going to play a big part in who survives and who doesn't.
^ This. Everyone make sure there's stuff in your preps that will give you hope for a future and give you something to do for fun. If you don't have a reason to survive, you won't. If you don't have something to relax you'll go crazy.

LiliLost

Post by LiliLost » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:28 am

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 am

You go over and under
I go through

casro

Post by casro » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:05 am

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:27 pm
Before you put that mask on your face, lets get a look at one manufacturer.

Switzerland has severely restricted their border to non-Swiss.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN2141VQ

Christ the Redeemer Statue is now closed to the Public in Brazil.
Confucius wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:56 am
Bolsonaro is positive a few days after meeting with Trump at Mar-a-Lago

https://www.foxnews.com/world/brazil-bo ... oronavirus

Man, you think the markets have been hit hard now, just imagine Trump testing positive...
In case you are curious, update from southern hemisphere, Brazil.

The crisis management here is a shit show. Our president is more or less denying the seriousness of the situation as we 'only have 3000 cases and over 75 deaths. However we are much earlier than you guys as our patient 0 was detected almost 3 weeks after the 1st US patient.

This Bolsonaro having covid thing was pretty hot during a couple of news cycle. 22 people from his entourage contracted covid after taking pictures with an american authority diagnosed as positive. Apparently and miraculously our president is immune.

He later showed up wearing masks and keeping distance from people. He took 2 tests after the first one came negative. Why take two, people ask? He must has had symptoms but the second one came as negative as well according to him and only him. The Health Minister had access to the exams and did not release results to press claiming it is privileged information. The presidency office requested the hospital in charge of the exams to not release any results. Some congressmen are suing the hospital demanding access to the data.

The president then came out of the 2 days-long only isolation now claiming this virus is a tiny flu. It probably indicates he did contract it and the synthoms did not manifest harshly for him and therefore he assumes this is not to be taken seriously as people are pushing it because of the possible economy toll. He demanded people to get out and live life as usual :D

Governors went in the opposite direction and are ordering people to shelter in place. Streets are mostly deserted but there are those willing to concede to the presidency. There are legal, jurisdictional, political and financial implications involved in the Federal-State struggle.

Meanwhile, I'm fully stocked so I can only appreciate the clusterfuck from the distance :)

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:17 am

Do you think we'll get to the point where they ban travel state to state?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:22 am

moab wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:17 am
If they're seriously considering opening some areas up in the very near future, I feel like it's unavoidable...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:40 am

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 am
Boris Johnson has come up hot. https://abcnews.go.com/International/vi ... 9-69832132
Did he contract it thru unkempt hair?

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:23 pm

s.leinicke wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:25 am
majorhavoc wrote:
I'm starting to realize mental health is going to play a big part in who survives and who doesn't.
^ This. Everyone make sure there's stuff in your preps that will give you hope for a future and give you something to do for fun. If you don't have a reason to survive, you won't. If you don't have something to relax you'll go crazy.
I wonder how much fleshlight sales are up by?
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:12 pm

moab wrote:
Under SIP most travel is already banned.
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:19 pm

My son was issued a ID card today denoting him as an essential employee , In case he is pulled over during a lock down or curfew . He works for UPS
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:24 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:19 pm
My son was issued a card today denoting him as an essential employee , In case he is pulled over during a lock down or curfew . He works for UPS
Package delivery has never been in such high demand.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:49 pm

moab wrote:
That gets into an area that would see a lot of legal challenges as being unconstitutional I think.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Protests in Mainland China from effected provinces.

https://www.breitbart.com/national-secu ... ronavirus/
A number of Hubei police officers appear to have joined the civilian demonstrators in their march toward Jiangxi, and evidently raised few objections when the civilians decided to trash a few Jiangxi police cars and club riot police with their own shields.
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:43 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:40 pm

A number of Hubei police officers appear to have joined the civilian demonstrators in their march toward Jiangxi, and evidently raised few objections when the civilians decided to trash a few Jiangxi police cars and club riot police with their own shields.
I've gotten my hopes up too often :(

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:43 pm
Stercutus wrote:

Yeah, the last Chinese revolution didn't turn out so well.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:34 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:43 pm
Stercutus wrote:

Yeah, the last Chinese revolution didn't turn out so well.
This one won't either. Those people are as good as dead, they just don't know it yet.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “All Things COVID-19”