COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by Fletch » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:56 am

Hi, it's your friendly neighbourhood Shanghai resident here.

I haven't posted anything for years but I felt it might be time to just point out a few things.
Although I'm not in Wuhan, I am in Shanghai which is currently in a level of lockdown.
We need passes to leave/enter the compounds we live in, there are increased levels of security both at compounds and in public areas and obviously mass gatherings are discouraged. Lots of shops, restaurants etc are closed.
Mostly we're all just bored of not being able to go out and do things and although sometimes it's not easy to get the groceries we want, we can still eat and get fresh foodstuffs delivered.
I'm a teacher and although schools are closed there are online classes using various formats of material and video conferencing.
We have electricity, gas, water and obviously internet, although it does seem like the internet has been throttled a little and my vpn is utterly fubar.

Trying to keep my kid amused isn't too hard, he's three and all I have to do is let him pretend to be a dinosaur and run away from him. Tickles also work too.

wash your hands, wear a mask and worry less.
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

moab

Post by moab » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:57 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:25 am
moab wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:58 pm
I live next to LAX. The disease portal of the entire US. So I am concerned about these things. I don't know how many thousands of people cycle thru our town to and from the airport in a given day. But it's a lot. And they are from every corner of the earth.

I haven't read this entire thread. But I have to be honest. I'm not prepared for this.

a lot of the preps that have been on the list for far to long are going to get purchased. Water containers will get purchased. Dry goods. Everyone has good warm clothing and good boots. Packs. And everything you could need for a bug out. Enough dried food and MRE's to last us a week or so. I need to plan for more if we end up bugging out with our Jeep.

But all these years I've been concentrated on bugging out rather than bugging in. And this is one of those maybe you'll have to bug in for a while type of things. That I honestly never considered. I never thought much about a pandemic. And not being able to get out. I just always thought we'd leave asap. And get out of this basin of 25 million people. Who knows maybe we would if it got bad enough. For the immediate long term it appears as if we will be sheltering in place. If this thing gets out of control.

So even if nothing happens. Some good will come of it. More people will prep. And do a better job at their efforts. I have.
Hi Moab. Relax. There has been no interruption to power or water in Wuhan. So while it is always good to prepare for needing those in other emergencies, you can move it down the list.

Listening to westerners who are still in Wuhan, the biggest issues are food, income and boredom. Food is being delivered, both prepared and groceries, through a complex drop off routine. So getting flour, salt, sugar and yeast can keep you fed after the bags of sliced bread are off the shelves. I'm planning on 30 days of food for a family of six. Vegan or vegetarian recipes because those are easy and can be made with dried beans, rice, lentils and canned vegetables.

Look at the Earth 2 experiment. They had to figure out how to get maximum nutrition out of the minimal amount of food when their plants started to die off.

If you have the ability to beef up your cash reserve, do it, because your workplace may close. Also, if your employer has to shut down, will you be charged PTO? Discuss this with your employer now!

Have kids, who is going to look after them if school closes? Do they have access to computers for tele-school, streaming lectures and exercise web sites. By the way, can your dial-up modem support all those users at once?

Have Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime? Get them. Make sure you have books, playing cards and board games. You may have to become a kid again having tea parties with your daughter or playing pirates with your son.
I'm relaxed man. It just puts my poor preps into perspective. And if it takes fear to get off my ass and really start working on them. I'll accept that. I'm great with bug outs. Not so much with sheltering in place. I've been after my wife to spend money on these things for years. Can never get her on board until now.

I only have one son who is 19. So as long as he has Playstation we will continue to not see him. Kidding of course. But he is in college. And it will be interesting how they handle that.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

abelru

Post by abelru » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:31 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:57 am
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
moab wrote:
I live next to LAX. The disease portal of the entire US. So I am concerned about these things. I don't know how many thousands of people cycle thru our town to and from the airport in a given day. But it's a lot. And they are from every corner of the earth.

I haven't read this entire thread. But I have to be honest. I'm not prepared for this.

a lot of the preps that have been on the list for far to long are going to get purchased. Water containers will get purchased. Dry goods. Everyone has good warm clothing and good boots. Packs. And everything you could need for a bug out. Enough dried food and MRE's to last us a week or so. I need to plan for more if we end up bugging out with our Jeep.

But all these years I've been concentrated on bugging out rather than bugging in. And this is one of those maybe you'll have to bug in for a while type of things. That I honestly never considered. I never thought much about a pandemic. And not being able to get out. I just always thought we'd leave asap. And get out of this basin of 25 million people. Who knows maybe we would if it got bad enough. For the immediate long term it appears as if we will be sheltering in place. If this thing gets out of control.

So even if nothing happens. Some good will come of it. More people will prep. And do a better job at their efforts. I have.
Hi Moab. Relax. There has been no interruption to power or water in Wuhan. So while it is always good to prepare for needing those in other emergencies, you can move it down the list.

Listening to westerners who are still in Wuhan, the biggest issues are food, income and boredom. Food is being delivered, both prepared and groceries, through a complex drop off routine. So getting flour, salt, sugar and yeast can keep you fed after the bags of sliced bread are off the shelves. I'm planning on 30 days of food for a family of six. Vegan or vegetarian recipes because those are easy and can be made with dried beans, rice, lentils and canned vegetables.

Look at the Earth 2 experiment. They had to figure out how to get maximum nutrition out of the minimal amount of food when their plants started to die off.

If you have the ability to beef up your cash reserve, do it, because your workplace may close. Also, if your employer has to shut down, will you be charged PTO? Discuss this with your employer now!

Have kids, who is going to look after them if school closes? Do they have access to computers for tele-school, streaming lectures and exercise web sites. By the way, can your dial-up modem support all those users at once?

Have Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime? Get them. Make sure you have books, playing cards and board games. You may have to become a kid again having tea parties with your daughter or playing pirates with your son.
I'm relaxed man. It just puts my poor preps into perspective. And if it takes fear to get off my ass and really start working on them. I'll accept that. I'm great with bug outs. Not so much with sheltering in place. I've been after my wife to spend money on these things for years. Can never get her on board until now.

I only have one son who is 19. So as long as he has Playstation we will continue to not see him. Kidding of course. But he is in college. And it will be interesting how they handle that.
Hey Moab. I’m a few miles to the east of you in Hollywood and practice at a hospital maybe 10 miles east of DTLA. FWIW, as I see it the biggest challenge that this whole situation presents is one of perception.

My major concerns specific to living in the LA basin have more to do with supply chain disruption and the behavior of an unprepared urban populous. Furthermore, our rather sizable homeless population will potentially have a significant disruption of their normal mechanisms for obtaining sustenance. Provided that we more or less sustain the status quo with regard to food supply, we will ride this one out and find ourselves on the other side of it in good shape.

Medically, there doesn’t appear to be cause for panic by the vast majority of folks. Make no mistake, I certainly don’t want to get infected. And there absolutely needs to be a measured and appropriate response by public health officials and those of us in healthcare. But the statistics on this bug are demonstrating a disproportionate burden on the elderly and seriously infirmed and maybe the only real surprise has been it’s relative sparing of the very young.

I’m not one to have boundless optimism (just ask my wife), but I’m not envisioning any sort of scenario locally where we are having to shelter in place for protracted periods. Good idea to beef up the preps for any scenario to include being home for a while. But don’t sweat this one and don’t feel like you’re at a grave disadvantage. The mere fact you’re reading this thread and on this site is evidence that you’re Probably better prepared than most.
Orbes volantes exstare!!!

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:44 pm

- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:23 pm

Fletch wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:56 am

I haven't posted anything for years but I felt it might be time to just point out a few things.
Although I'm not in Wuhan, I am in Shanghai which is currently in a level of lockdown.
We need passes to leave/enter the compounds we live in, there are increased levels of security both at compounds and in public areas and obviously mass gatherings are discouraged. Lots of shops, restaurants etc are closed.
Mostly we're all just bored of not being able to go out and do things and although sometimes it's not easy to get the groceries we want, we can still eat and get fresh foodstuffs delivered.
I'm a teacher and although schools are closed there are online classes using various formats of material and video conferencing.
We have electricity, gas, water and obviously internet, although it does seem like the internet has been throttled a little and my vpn is utterly fubar.

Trying to keep my kid amused isn't too hard, he's three and all I have to do is let him pretend to be a dinosaur and run away from him. Tickles also work too.

Do you think wearing an N95 mask will help prevent getting infected with Covid19? in the UK there is conflicting information, but in general we are officially being told that they won’t help prevent this.
I have some N95v anyway because my asthma and sheep farming is a bad mix, mainly because of straw dust, dander, mould etc etc; I have worn them for years whilst working with straw and hay, although they are now difficult to get here because of panic buying.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:36 pm

At Stores Across The Country, The Panic Coronavirus Hoarding Begins

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/meanw ... ing-begins

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:18 pm

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
For any European ZS members. It takes a while to be updated, but is reliable.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:39 pm

I'm visiting friends in Portland and an acquaintance messaged my friend that the line at the local Costco wraps from the registers to the back of the store and around the other side. Every register is running and some of the shelves are empty. I have no idea which shelves are empty.

I'm glad I have a well stocked pantry waiting for me at home. I think the only thing I should have added before I left town was restocking frozen vegetables. It was a rough week leading up to my vacation and I dropped it off the to-do list. I can still fairly comfortably hunker down in place for 3 months with what I have.

The friend I'm staying with was already hosting his neighborhood tonight for a presentation on prepping. The timing of this is pretty awesome from that perspective.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:03 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:36 pm

jk. I used to frequent that site quite a bit a decade ago but their perma-bear/pessimistic articles wore thin. This tweet from the Surgeon General I did find interesting.
Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!

They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!
Apparently masks may provide some protection for health care workers, but are ineffective when used by the general public?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:16 pm

Fletch wrote:

Good perspective. Yes, we can overreact at times, but this latest threat at least gives us something to talk about. I'll also be the first to admit there's a tiny part of me that is curious to put some of my preps to the test.

Your post is also an excellent reminder that for many plausible disaster scenarios, it's probably less about running around fighting for one's life and more about long periods of intense boredom.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:33 pm

abelru wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:31 pm
moab wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:57 am
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
moab wrote:

Hey Moab. I’m a few miles to the east of you in Hollywood and practice at a hospital maybe 10 miles east of DTLA. FWIW, as I see it the biggest challenge that this whole situation presents is one of perception.

My major concerns specific to living in the LA basin have more to do with supply chain disruption and the behavior of an unprepared urban populous. Furthermore, our rather sizable homeless population will potentially have a significant disruption of their normal mechanisms for obtaining sustenance. Provided that we more or less sustain the status quo with regard to food supply, we will ride this one out and find ourselves on the other side of it in good shape.

Medically, there doesn’t appear to be cause for panic by the vast majority of folks. Make no mistake, I certainly don’t want to get infected. And there absolutely needs to be a measured and appropriate response by public health officials and those of us in healthcare. But the statistics on this bug are demonstrating a disproportionate burden on the elderly and seriously infirmed and maybe the only real surprise has been it’s relative sparing of the very young.

I’m not one to have boundless optimism (just ask my wife), but I’m not envisioning any sort of scenario locally where we are having to shelter in place for protracted periods. Good idea to beef up the preps for any scenario to include being home for a while. But don’t sweat this one and don’t feel like you’re at a grave disadvantage. The mere fact you’re reading this thread and on this site is evidence that you’re Probably better prepared than most.
I've seen your avatar around here for years. Very cool. Hard to miss. ;) Thank you for the advice. I was just working "10 miles east of downtown" day before yesterday. One of my wifes close friends is the head of the Pediatric Emergency at Torrance Memorial. And my father in laws best friend is a GP. It's nice to have doctors in the "family". But better to have them around here with a mind for prepping.

I wouldn't say I've been freaked out about this. But I honestly think it's a "possible" threat to food delivery. In any case, it's the first of many possible threats that come to mind. Meaning I rarely contemplate any kind of disaster that would have me staying in LA and bugging in. One thing that has changed is my son is 19 now. He was attending Sarah LAwrence in NY. But was just accepted to LMU - within 5 miles of our house. (He'll find out about the UC schools in the coming weeks. His intention is to stay in LA. But he has applied out of state again also.) Until this point there was nothing holding us in LA. Other than a dying father in law. But that's another story. LEaving my son here to continue his education is not something I could do. In the event of a disaster that limited the city but kept him able to continue his studies. Would have us bugging in here for at least some amount of time. Just a new twist in my planning and preps concerning LA. That I had not considered until this came up. We're so close to moving. That my thinking never went beyond "how to get out of LA".

But more importantly - the point I was trying to make - was whether Coronavirus was a threat or not. It's gotten a lot of people prepping. And a lot of preppers taking a second look at their plans and efforts. Me included. I do a lot of planning and buying for a bug out from LA. And for a bug out in WA where we will move as soon as the father in law passes. (I've planned for a bug in in WA. But have not purchased anything as I knew we would not move with those preps.) So I've been in this temporary holding pattern for a couple years. As my wife's father dies. Not wanting to load up on a lot of preps as we are moving soon. And honestly not even contemplating bugging in here. I suddenly realized that it wouldn't take much to get prepared here. With just food and water. For less than a hundred bucks I could have enough at least rice, beans and water to get us by for a considerable amount of time. With the exception of larger water containers that aren't transportable. Our city has its own water supply. It's own water tank at the top of a hill in town. But I don't know where that water comes from. If it's pumped up by a well. Or delivered. I assume the latter. So another couple 50 gal tanks are in the planning. Even if they get left in LA when we move.

I guess what I'm saying is I've suddenly gotten a lot more honest about my preps. Something like this makes you reevaluate things. For the better I think. Without this scenario I would not have thought buggin in in LA an option. Hopefully my honesty leads other people to clearly evaluate their preps and bug out plans. And improves them for the better as well.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:12 pm

CrossCut wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:03 pm
[Snip]

This tweet from the Surgeon General I did find interesting.

They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!
Apparently masks may provide some protection for health care workers, but are ineffective when used by the general public?
Among my friends I'm the only prepper one (this virus might FINALLY get some of them to start prepping), so a bunch of people have asked me that, too. My message to them is along the lines of:

This statement seems weird because it's so abbreviated that the nuances are lost when they are trying to make the point in a concise manner. They are only addressing the mistaken belief that just donning a mask alone will prevent catching it. Health care workers need masks AND eye pro AND gloves AND proper hygiene AND proper donning and doffing techniques to prevent catching it.

Since the general public 1) likely won't do all the steps necessary, and 2) will likely not be in such close proximity to an infected person to warrant its use, the concise, blunt, no-nuance message is 'masks won't help you'.

Conversely, health care workers 1) likely WILL do all the necessary steps and 2) are almost guaranteed to be in close proximity to an infected person to warrant the use, the concise blunt message is that 'masks will help them'.

Since those of us here (not the "general public," if I may reveal a little elitism) understand that a mask is only one part of a prep, I don't feel that message is necessarily meant for us.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:38 pm

CrossCut wrote:
absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:36 pm

jk. I used to frequent that site quite a bit a decade ago but their perma-bear/pessimistic articles wore thin. This tweet from the Surgeon General I did find interesting.

Ok, so we live in the age of Twitter. The SGUS poorly worded statement probably had to meet a minimum character requirement or something and he simply did what a lot of doctors do and assumed people had a basic working knowledge of how treatment facility protocols work, which isn't even remotely true. A better statement would have been something along the lines of;

"Medical professionals wear masks primarily to protect their patients, not themselves. This is why surgeons wear them in operating rooms even though the patient is not sick and no risk to the staff. Spreading germs from medical provider mouths and airways in to open wounds is a really bad idea.

"Secondly, the whole idea of masks protecting uninfected people is ass backwards. When someone that is suspected to be contagious of something airborne shows up at the hospital they are issued a mask to wear while at the hospital. The point being that it is worlds easier to prevent the patient from spreading illness to other patients and staff by him wearing a mask than to try to protect the entire hospital staff by having everyone else wear masks, which won't work anyway because if the patient isn't wearing a mask he is going to spread germs literally everywhere. The staff wearing masks won't protect hospital staff because if an infected person is breathing on stuff he is going to contaminate everything."

In my mind if I see someone wearing a mask I am going to assume they are carrier and a risk to me. I will demand they keep the mask on to prevent the spread of disease while around me. I will then avoid all contact with them if possible.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:36 pm

CrossCut wrote:

Yes and no on the masks.

First, buying masks at Costco should not affect healthcare greatly as most large and organized facilities will have their own distributor. Unless of course the middle men ship to Costco instead, but I promise the profits selling to hospital are far greater than a retail bulk store... So there's little motivation to do that.

As far as wearing a mask, it can help if you do everything else correctly. Note, I said "help". In healthcare, we sanitize before and after entering a room, even if it is just hands. If someone is on a contact precaution, we also wear other PPE like gowns and gloves.

So wearing a mask can help, but it won't if you touch a door or counter or shopping cart or box or can or bottle or piece of fruit.... And then touch your face or eyes. Or touch your phone. Then touch your eyes.

Basically, you need to be super paranoid about all contact at all times for a mask to be as effective as possible. It's not really realistic for a plane ride or trip to the store.

So for the general population, masks will be borderline useless, because the general population has poor attention to detail.

And I'm speaking in general infection terms for various bacteria and virus and fungal "bugs", as I haven't really caught up on the details of the recent coronavirus.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:30 pm

Stercutus wrote:
The estimates I have seen range from 25M-100M dead by the end of 2021 worldwide. To put it in perspective that is about 100 to 800 years worth of flu deaths at current world rates.

So yeah, kind of a BFD.

This is assuming no effective vaccine is developed, produced and distributed in a timely manner.
Can you share the data/sources here?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:49 pm

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:50 pm

- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:25 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:23 pm
Fletch wrote:

Do you think wearing an N95 mask will help prevent getting infected with Covid19? in the UK there is conflicting information, but in general we are officially being told that they won’t help prevent this.
I have some N95v anyway because my asthma and sheep farming is a bad mix, mainly because of straw dust, dander, mould etc etc; I have worn them for years whilst working with straw and hay, although they are now difficult to get here because of panic buying.
I think Jeeper's response sums up the whole thing pretty well, but I will tell you what the official guidelines are here;

Wear a mask at all times outside of the house and if able it's strongly recommended to also wear some sort of glasses or eye protection - even if it's just sunglasses
don't touch things you don't need to, sterilise with hand sanitiser and also clean your door handles/phones
Number one prevention tip though is just stay at home.
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:14 am

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:18 am

New case in Florida. Second death:

https://www.cnn.com/
- Flash

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:35 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:38 pm
Ok, so we live in the age of Twitter. The SGUS poorly worded statement probably had to meet a minimum character requirement or something and he simply did what a lot of doctors do and assumed people had a basic working knowledge of how treatment facility protocols work, which isn't even remotely true. A better statement would have been something along the lines of;

"Medical professionals wear masks primarily to protect their patients, not themselves. This is why surgeons wear them in operating rooms even though the patient is not sick and no risk to the staff. Spreading germs from medical provider mouths and airways in to open wounds is a really bad idea.

"Secondly, the whole idea of masks protecting uninfected people is ass backwards. When someone that is suspected to be contagious of something airborne shows up at the hospital they are issued a mask to wear while at the hospital. The point being that it is worlds easier to prevent the patient from spreading illness to other patients and staff by him wearing a mask than to try to protect the entire hospital staff by having everyone else wear masks, which won't work anyway because if the patient isn't wearing a mask he is going to spread germs literally everywhere. The staff wearing masks won't protect hospital staff because if an infected person is breathing on stuff he is going to contaminate everything."

In my mind if I see someone wearing a mask I am going to assume they are carrier and a risk to me. I will demand they keep the mask on to prevent the spread of disease while around me. I will then avoid all contact with them if possible.
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:36 pm

Yes and no on the masks.

First, buying masks at Costco should not affect healthcare greatly as most large and organized facilities will have their own distributor. Unless of course the middle men ship to Costco instead, but I promise the profits selling to hospital are far greater than a retail bulk store... So there's little motivation to do that.

As far as wearing a mask, it can help if you do everything else correctly. Note, I said "help". In healthcare, we sanitize before and after entering a room, even if it is just hands. If someone is on a contact precaution, we also wear other PPE like gowns and gloves.

So wearing a mask can help, but it won't if you touch a door or counter or shopping cart or box or can or bottle or piece of fruit.... And then touch your face or eyes. Or touch your phone. Then touch your eyes.
It was more of a rhetorical question, but I'm a pretty cynical guy normally and especially when it comes to govt PSAs.

But given the Surgeon General's advice, I'll be watching for the issuance of masks for routine use by law enforcement, TSA, customs and border patrol, postal workers, etc, before this is over. Oh the irony if any are issued vented masks, then we'll know for sure which direction they think the protection works and which direction is more important.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:44 am

I won't post a link due to the political content but John Oliver covered the Coronavirus with a mostly truthful, sometimes insightful and comedic. It is over on YouTube if you want to check it out.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:05 am

After reading about masks and infections, I'm guessing that we're really looking at a variety of threat models. If you were visiting a patient with an active case of coronavirus, you'd wear mask, gloves and possible gown. This is different than just being in public. Though, Joseph Kwan of Hong Kong University of Science and Tech was supportive of masks and not just N95s. I'm guessing that the infection model for dense cities is different than most of the US, which is much more suburban and rural than Hong Kong. My conclusion is that masks have their purpose, but for much of the US they will be throwing money away.

Sanitizing surfaces, especially phones, and washing hands is the biggest thing and being conscious of touching the face and eyes.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:21 am

What I am picking up is people should save the N95 & N99 masks when they are in close contact (Patient care, etc.) of people who are known to be infected, with any communicable disease.

Also, make sure your wearing it properly, along with all other necessary PPE.

Return to “All Things COVID-19”