COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and it just made sense to consolidate all the COVID-19 stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:42 pm

OK. This thing is going from bad, to alarming to seriously weird.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/a-dog-i ... firms.html

TN-Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TN-Shooter » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:45 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:13 pm
jorgeramierez wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:42 pm
haha why would you have believed that every walk-in clinic in the country was closed

That's awesome
None of us believed it. That is why several ZS'ers fact checked it. That is one of the things we do here.

I never said all walk-in clinics in the US. Just the UCs. I was going off something that was sent to me. I will do better fact checking next time.
What if everyone was once a zombie but there was a human apocalypse?

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:13 am

So there are 4 cases of community spread now:

2 in California -- Solano County, Santa Clara County (https://www.kron4.com/news/santa-clara- ... firmation/)
1 in Oregon -- Elementary school teacher in Washington County -- (https://katu.com/news/local/watch-live- ... oronavirus)
1 in Washington -- High school student in Snohomish County (https://katu.com/news/local/two-new-cas ... ish-county)

I guess the incubation period is starting to wear off and people are feeling bad enough to start getting tested. I'm going to guess the confirmed count will increase a lot soon. I have family and friends in all three of those geographic regions. I might have to stop reading the news (other than local in case I need to pull my kids out of school) to keep my sanity in the upcoming days/weeks.

Ever

Post by Ever » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:30 am

norcalprep wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:13 am

2 in California -- Solano County, Santa Clara County (https://www.kron4.com/news/santa-clara- ... firmation/)
1 in Oregon -- Elementary school teacher in Washington County -- (https://katu.com/news/local/watch-live- ... oronavirus)
1 in Washington -- High school student in Snohomish County (https://katu.com/news/local/two-new-cas ... ish-county)

I guess the incubation period is starting to wear off and people are feeling bad enough to start getting tested. I'm going to guess the confirmed count will increase a lot soon. I have family and friends in all three of those geographic regions. I might have to stop reading the news (other than local in case I need to pull my kids out of school) to keep my sanity in the upcoming days/weeks.
I know what you mean. 😷 Sometimes it can get crazy-making. 😵
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

as COVID-19 moves closer to my large apartment building I am observing the reasons why the likelihood of my surviving this Event is growing increasingly remote: The building would more aptly be named Ship Of Fools Apartments. Offering a head size bucket of sand with every new lease.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:00 am

norcalprep wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:13 am

1 in Oregon -- Elementary school teacher in Washington County -- (https://katu.com/news/local/watch-live-6-pm-oregon-officials-announce-first-presumptive-case-of-novel-coronavirus)

I guess the incubation period is starting to ...
More news coverage of new U.S. cases:
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsands ... obal-level
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:07 am

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:10 am

CG

Post by CG » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:15 am

JayceSlayn wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:00 am
I'd argue that it is probably time that this thread should drop the "Wuhan" portion of the title. :cry: Not just that it has reached a global scale, but while "what was the catalyst for this outbreak" will undoubtedly be a question for the history books to analyze, we should still avoid stigmatizing an entire region which likely had little to do with its origin and has yet suffered the most from it.
I am not so sure about that. Even if the government research facilities there had nothing to do with it, it was still the conditions in their markets that allowed it to leap over to humans. Perhaps research should be done in how to prevent that in the future?
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:37 am

CG wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:15 am
JayceSlayn wrote:
I'd argue that it is probably time that this thread should drop the "Wuhan" portion of the title. :cry: Not just that it has reached a global scale, but while "what was the catalyst for this outbreak" will undoubtedly be a question for the history books to analyze, we should still avoid stigmatizing an entire region which likely had little to do with its origin and has yet suffered the most from it.
I am not so sure about that. Even if the government research facilities there had nothing to do with it, it was still the conditions in their markets that allowed it to leap over to humans. Perhaps research should be done in how to prevent that in the future?
Just my opinion, but I don't think "research" is needed. I think "cultural changes" are needed. I think it's pretty clear what needs to change and I think there is no interest in changing. It is tough to change something which has been happening for thousands of years and change cultures and values which are thousands of years old. Not "impossible," but pretty difficult. Although if any places *could* accomplish that, it would be China or North Korea.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:54 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:37 am
CG wrote:
JayceSlayn wrote:
Just my opinion, but I don't think "research" is needed. I think "cultural changes" are needed. I think it's pretty clear what needs to change and I think there is no interest in changing. It is tough to change something which has been happening for thousands of years and change cultures and values which are thousands of years old. Not "impossible," but pretty difficult. Although if any places *could* accomplish that, it would be China or North Korea.
The DPRK & CoVid-19 are starting to appear in my channels.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:44 am

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:07 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:37 am
CG wrote:
JayceSlayn wrote:
IMO it's not cultural or regional values. People have to eat. And things another area or culture find unacceptable is moot. There's too many humans. When there's too many of a species nature finds brutal ways of lowering the population. The only way to stop something like this would be to ban all travel and commerce permanently . And that can't happen. Nature is going to find the vulnerabilities . Disease, famine or a chemical imbalance in the brain from overcrowding that causes crazy behaivior

There's too many rats in the cage
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:20 pm

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:52 pm

Coronavirus outbreak: All the latest updates

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/ ... 14773.html

Panic buying strips store shelves as people stockpile amid coronavirus outbreak with one woman turning her basement into a 'supermarket' and a man buying a YEAR'S supply of food which includes 192 tins of SPAM

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... panic.html

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:59 pm

Poor Tokyo. They worked so hard to get the 2020 Olympics. If the games are not straight up cancelled then doubtful anyone will be there.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:58 pm

I live next to LAX. The disease portal of the entire US. So I am concerned about these things. I don't know how many thousands of people cycle thru our town to and from the airport in a given day. But it's a lot. And they are from every corner of the earth.

I haven't read this entire thread. But I have to be honest. I'm not prepared for this.

One thing this has done for me. Is kick my ass in gear about prepping. I am not prepared for a long stay at home. Trying to convince the wife is another matter. But I spent several hours in the garage with our bug out gear. That had been organized into boxes. But not yet put into the packs. I got two out of three packs loaded. And the garage somewhat straightened out. Which was a big job. As I've been concentrating on working on my bug out vehicle. And things were all over the place. Not to mention Christmas stuff was dug out from under a ton of boxes.

a lot of the preps that have been on the list for far to long are going to get purchased. Water containers will get purchased. Dry goods. Everyone has good warm clothing and good boots. Packs. And everything you could need for a bug out. Enough dried food and MRE's to last us a week or so. I need to plan for more if we end up bugging out with our Jeep.

But all these years I've been concentrated on bugging out rather than bugging in. And this is one of those maybe you'll have to bug in for a while type of things. That I honestly never considered. I never thought much about a pandemic. And not being able to get out. I just always thought we'd leave asap. And get out of this basin of 25 million people. Who knows maybe we would if it got bad enough. For the immediate long term it appears as if we will be sheltering in place. If this thing gets out of control.

So even if nothing happens. Some good will come of it. More people will prep. And do a better job at their efforts. I have.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:13 am

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:51 am

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:23 am

The jury is still out on the Mad Cow thing. The American Red Cross still won't take my blood.

It won't be the virus that (likely) kills you. It is everything else that will make the world suck for a while. If you die from an unrelated infection in a hospital because your hospital can't get supplies from China you are still dead.
You go over and under
I go through

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:14 am

This is what worries me:

Status of the cases in Italy:

From top to bottom:

Deceased (2.6%)
Intensive Care (9.3%)
Symptomatic in Hospital (35.5%)
Home Quarantine (48.1%)
Recovered (4.4%)

Even if most of those symptomatic folks could just be symptomatic at home in a wider outbreak, assuming some of them need to be hospitalized + 9.3% in ICU? That's enough to just totally overwhelm any medical system in a wider outbreak. Things could get nasty. This isn't the end of the world or anything, but it's starting to feel more and more like this could be a big deal. Make sure you've got supplies for a home quarantine, and potentially to be without medical care for a while...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:25 am

The estimates I have seen range from 25M-100M dead by the end of 2021 worldwide. To put it in perspective that is about 100 to 800 years worth of flu deaths at current world rates.

So yeah, kind of a BFD.

This is assuming no effective vaccine is developed, produced and distributed in a timely manner.
Last edited by Stercutus on Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
You go over and under
I go through

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:25 am

moab wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:58 pm
I live next to LAX. The disease portal of the entire US. So I am concerned about these things. I don't know how many thousands of people cycle thru our town to and from the airport in a given day. But it's a lot. And they are from every corner of the earth.

I haven't read this entire thread. But I have to be honest. I'm not prepared for this.

a lot of the preps that have been on the list for far to long are going to get purchased. Water containers will get purchased. Dry goods. Everyone has good warm clothing and good boots. Packs. And everything you could need for a bug out. Enough dried food and MRE's to last us a week or so. I need to plan for more if we end up bugging out with our Jeep.

But all these years I've been concentrated on bugging out rather than bugging in. And this is one of those maybe you'll have to bug in for a while type of things. That I honestly never considered. I never thought much about a pandemic. And not being able to get out. I just always thought we'd leave asap. And get out of this basin of 25 million people. Who knows maybe we would if it got bad enough. For the immediate long term it appears as if we will be sheltering in place. If this thing gets out of control.

So even if nothing happens. Some good will come of it. More people will prep. And do a better job at their efforts. I have.
Hi Moab. Relax. There has been no interruption to power or water in Wuhan. So while it is always good to prepare for needing those in other emergencies, you can move it down the list.

Listening to westerners who are still in Wuhan, the biggest issues are food, income and boredom. Food is being delivered, both prepared and groceries, through a complex drop off routine. So getting flour, salt, sugar and yeast can keep you fed after the bags of sliced bread are off the shelves. I'm planning on 30 days of food for a family of six. Vegan or vegetarian recipes because those are easy and can be made with dried beans, rice, lentils and canned vegetables.

Look at the Earth 2 experiment. They had to figure out how to get maximum nutrition out of the minimal amount of food when their plants started to die off.

If you have the ability to beef up your cash reserve, do it, because your workplace may close. Also, if your employer has to shut down, will you be charged PTO? Discuss this with your employer now!

Have kids, who is going to look after them if school closes? Do they have access to computers for tele-school, streaming lectures and exercise web sites. By the way, can your dial-up modem support all those users at once?

Have Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime? Get them. Make sure you have books, playing cards and board games. You may have to become a kid again having tea parties with your daughter or playing pirates with your son.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Return to “All Things COVID-19”