COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:32 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:03 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:01 pm
The market will climb back up there. The only question is "in 3 months or 30 years?" I'm not worried. I'm not happy to see it decline, but I'm really not worried.
Same here mostly. I hear today that this doesn't affect people like me. I didn't respond but, yes it does.
My retirement date has been pushed back six years just over the course of that past four days. Now I may well claw back those six years over the coming weeks and months. But still, it's sobering to watch the effect it has on one's investments.
I don't understand how that happens? Are you public service?

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:33 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:03 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:10 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:01 pm
The market will climb back up there. The only question is "in 3 months or 30 years?" I'm not worried. I'm not happy to see it decline, but I'm really not worried.
Same here mostly. I hear today that this doesn't affect people like me. I didn't respond but, yes it does.
My retirement date has been pushed back six years just over the course of that past four days. Now I may well claw back those six years over the coming weeks and months. But still, it's sobering to watch the effect it has on one's investments.
I sympathize with that and I know it has hurt a lot of people. At the same time, I don't expect to be able to retire in a conventional or traditional sense. I expect to save, make good decisions, and watch the world collapse around me. I think "the system" could have been fixed back 20 years ago. People tried and were shut down. And savings can be wiped out by inflation. My retirement plan #1 is a debt free life on a homestead. Any savings and investments which survive are gravy on top of that. Not to be counted on, but welcome if they happen.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Ever

Post by Ever » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:20 am

When we're talking about seasonal flu statistics comparing to possible COVID-19 statistics, I'm not understanding how to compare them. At least in the areas that offer seasonal flu shots, because COVID-19 doesn't have that to limit the numbers of people who might get infected.

Or are we just comparing % of confirmed cases and recovered/death in both groups? Rather than the reduced numbers seasonal vs in general, whole populations COVID-19 numbers?

I do get the comparison to both with the basic flu hygiene of hands, cough, sneeze, social distancing, fomites, etc. of course.

edit: Rereading JayceSlayn's post. I 'think' my question was addressed there.
Last edited by Ever on Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:57 am

Maybe, Maybe not...

M.D. is an interesting guy. I have his 1st book. It's a good book.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:00 am

Anyone else feeling overwhelmed & under-prepped?

asking for a friend

jorgeramierez
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like the books better, my friend

Post by jorgeramierez » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:39 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:00 am

asking for a friend
Still wondering, too: how did these last four days cause you to lose 6 years towards retirement?

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:18 am

jorgeramierez wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:39 am
MPMalloy wrote:

asking for a friend
Still wondering, too: how did these last four days cause you to lose 6 years towards retirement?
Investments have taken a major hit due to economic uncertainty regarding a global pandemic. It's all in the numbers.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:29 am

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020 ... pread.html
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has confirmed an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19 in California in a person who reportedly did not have relevant travel history or exposure to another known patient with COVID-19.

At this time, the patient’s exposure is unknown. It’s possible this could be an instance of community spread of COVID-19, which would be the first time this has happened in the United States. Community spread means spread of an illness for which the source of infection is unknown. It’s also possible, however, that the patient may have been exposed to a returned traveler who was infected.
The lower risk of this virus has largely been due to active containment. Unkown origins can significantly increase the risk of the virus spreading.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:39 am

jorgeramierez wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:39 am
MPMalloy wrote:

asking for a friend
It's all about the trajectory of your retirement investments. Think of a curve on a graph that is gradually trending upwards over time. Even a small deflection in the rate of increase can have a large impact years down the road.

Well, that and some poor financial decisions early in life and getting a late start on my 401(k). The brokerage that handles the 401(k) accounts for the company I work for has online tools that project when you will reach a certain specified target to allow you to retire comfortably (hell, I'm just shooting for "subsistence" at this point). Playing around with those tools these past several days has not been kind to my blood pressure and anxiety level.

Word to the wise: stay the hell away from such tools during particularly volatile periods in the market.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:37 am

This is an email I got from Selco about CoVid-19:
Just quick update. You know how it felt before war started? Just like this. Governments try to keep system running and media plays along. Now it is time to get everything in order.

I sell books of my articles on amazon (https://amzn.to/3ceVRm9) along with my course on the website but made a selection of articles available again for free for you to check out over here:

https://shtfschool.com/about/

I also wrote a new post about how I believe things are right now, you can read here:

https://shtfschool.com/basic-survival/c ... tters-now/

I hope you and your loved ones get through this unharmed.

Selco

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:06 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:39 am

Word to the wise: stay the hell away from such tools during particularly volatile periods in the market.
The corollary to the rule is never rejoice over market value gains until the final share is sold and the proceeds are in the bank.

Remember the market in 2019 especially the last part of 2019 and early 2020 had a huge run up that was at the time IMO not real. This is a correction and as long as liquidity is not an issue it will again go up because the alternative returns are terrible and sub inflation rate.

MPMalloy wrote:

asking for a friend
Tell your friend he or she is fine. This too shall pass. It is not the EOTWAWKI.
If this was God forbid) Ebola, Small Pox, rabies, cholera, dysentery or Yellow Fever I would say it is time to worry. That is not the case here.
This current issue is mainly psychological.
I see this in NOLA everytime there is a hurricane. People panic and freak out when a storm enters the GOM...just like many are doing now.

You will see vile people using this for political purposes claiming one group or another is not doing enough or doing things wrong.
That will be echoed by all of the talking heads. That will add to the psychological stress.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:21 am

raptor wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:06 am
majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:39 am
The corollary to the rule is never rejoice over market value gains until the final share is sold and the proceeds are in the bank. Remember the market in 2019 especially the last part of 2019 and early 2020 had a huge run up that was at the time IMO not real. This is a correction and as long as liquidity is not an issue it will again go up because the alternative returns are terrible and sub inflation rate.
MPMalloy wrote:

asking for a friend
Tell your friend he or she is fine. This too shall pass. It is not the EOTWAWKI. If this was God forbid) Ebola, Small Pox, rabies, cholera, dysentery or Yellow Fever I would say it is time to worry. That is not the case here. This current issue is mainly psychological. I see this in NOLA everytime there is a hurricane. People panic and freak out when a storm enters the GOM...just like many are doing now.

You will see vile people using this for political purposes claiming one group or another is not doing enough or doing things wrong. That will be echoed by all of the talking heads. That will add to the psychological stress.

From NPR: Coronavirus 101: What You Need To Know To Prepare And Prevent 15 min Audio clip at webpage. Also: A Guide: How To Prepare Your Home For Coronavirus

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:44 am

From the good news front: Clorox stock is doing quite well. :clownshoes: https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1028947060

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:00 pm

We put out wipes and hand sanitizer at our front desk today. No one (out of... maybe 5 people) has used it yet.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:21 pm

Here's an interesting twitter thread about PANIC

https://twitter.com/Scholars_Stage/stat ... 7397552128
Man is a beast of prey

TN-Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TN-Shooter » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:45 pm

Currently.

In China, 80% of all cases are considered mild. With the other 17.8 diagnosed as severe.
What if everyone was once a zombie but there was a human apocalypse?

TN-Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TN-Shooter » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:19 pm

Every single Urgent Care Walk-in Clinic has closed in the US.

https://urgentcarelocations.org/

Check it for yourself.
What if everyone was once a zombie but there was a human apocalypse?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:02 pm

TN-Shooter wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:19 pm
Every single Urgent Care Walk-in Clinic has closed in the US. https://urgentcarelocations.org/ Check it for yourself.
-Wide was misspelled as -Wise. Just something I noticed.

ETA: A call to my local (non-VA) UCC & they are open till 7. As ususal.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:11 pm

TN-Shooter wrote:

Check it for yourself.
The web site says they are closed but I called the one closest to me and they said they were open and they had no idea why the site showed closed. Call a local one and ask them.

The web site for the provider also says they are open.

https://www.ochsner.org/locations/urgent-care-metairie

But still talk about a mind fuck?!

A quick google search showed similar sites which do not show the places closed.

http://www.urgentcare.com/

The site is clearly bull shit! Either intentionally or otherwise it is wrong.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm

TN-Shooter wrote:

Check it for yourself.
Both of the ones in my AO are open
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

jorgeramierez
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like the books better, my friend

Post by jorgeramierez » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:42 pm

haha why would you have believed that every walk-in clinic in the country was closed

That's awesome

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:01 pm

TN-Shooter wrote:

Check it for yourself.
I'm guessing software glitch.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:13 pm

jorgeramierez wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:42 pm
haha why would you have believed that every walk-in clinic in the country was closed

That's awesome
None of us believed it. That is why several ZS'ers fact checked it. That is one of the things we do here.

Return to “All Things Pandemic”