COVID-19 Chat Thread

This isn't going away anytime soon folks and with all the new variants of COVID-19 popping up it just made sense to drop COVID-19 from the sub-section name and consolidate all the pandemic stuff in one location.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:45 pm

CDC now officially warning Americans to prepare for likely CoVid-19 outbreak in U.S.:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/worl ... e=Homepage
“It’s not so much of a question of if this will happen in this country any more but a question of when this will happen,” said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

“We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” Dr. Messonnier said.
The CDC does not make such pronouncements lightly. Not yet quite time for the 'bunker up' scenario Dabster is asking about in another ZS thread, but we've moved a bit closer to that decision point than we were just yesterday.

I am interpreting this latest development as official notice to all Americans to stock up on food, water, medicine and face masks. If your place of employment has business continuity plans and work at home arrangements, now is the time to familiarize yourself with them.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:31 pm

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:54 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:31 pm
From CNBC: US health officials say human trials on coronavirus vaccine to start in 6 weeks

The NYT article is scary.
yep :!: And so it begins.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:02 pm

flybynight wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:54 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:31 pm
From CNBC: US health officials say human trials on coronavirus vaccine to start in 6 weeks The NYT article is scary.
yep :!: And so it begins.
I was able to find a few masks & gloves. Everything else I find is delayed by 6 weeks or "standard" shipping is twice the price of the item. :x

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:27 pm

Italy reported a 45% one-day increase in people infected with the coronavirus as other countries in Europe recorded their first cases Tuesday, producing evidence that travelers are carrying the virus from the European outbreak's current epicenter.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/canary-islan ... 27105.html

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:28 pm

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:03 pm

Some folks have thier shorts in a wad over the CDC panic announcement

except knowing this might help - from elsewhere on the web...

Earlier today Dr. Nancy Messonnier, an official in the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), held a conference call with media and pushed a panic narrative around the Coronvirus that ran counter to the Trump administration. What makes the statements by Dr. Messonnier even more interesting is the fact she is the only sister of former DOJ Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

Dr. Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (link) told reporters on the call:

I'll stop here owing to the no politics rule.

If only the CDC would play by the rules here on ZS.....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:07 pm

I find the audio to be...sickly :P

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:53 pm

TacAir wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:03 pm

Earlier today Dr. Nancy Messonnier, an official in the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), held a conference call with media and pushed a panic narrative around the Coronvirus that ran counter to the Trump administration. What makes the statements by Dr. Messonnier even more interesting is the fact she is the only sister of former DOJ Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

Dr. Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (link) told reporters on the call:

I'm not following you. You appear to be asking us to connect some dots here that will discredit this CDC announcement, citing information from an unnamed source. "From elsewhere on the web" is not helpful. What did Dr. Messonnier say to reporters in that conference call that you cannot repeat here at ZS due to the no politics rule? At least cite your source so we can make our own assessment.

Are you saying that a) the current administration even HAS a "Coronavirus narrative" and the CDC's announcement today runs counter to whatever that is? And that b) the motivation for today's CDC announcement is part of what? Some deep state conspiracy to discredit that Coronavirus narrative?

I had hoped I might find at least a passing reference to what you're cryptically hinting at here, but I'm not seeing anything:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavi ... icial-says

If you're saying anything beyond who the current Director of National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases happens to be related to, please share. Otherwise, if all you're positing is some sort of unsubstantiated guilt-by-familial-association theory, you may have already violated the no politics rule. I certainly hope not because the last thing the ZS community needs RIGHT NOW is to get the Wuhan Coronavirus Thread locked and blocked.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:29 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:53 pm
TacAir wrote:

I'm not following you. You appear to be asking us to connect some dots here that will discredit this CDC announcement, citing information from an unnamed source. "From elsewhere on the web" is not helpful. What did Dr. Messonnier say to reporters in that conference call that you cannot repeat here at ZS due to the no politics rule? At least cite your source so we can make our own assessment.

Are you saying that a) the current administration even HAS a "Coronavirus narrative" and the CDC's announcement today runs counter to whatever that is? And that b) the motivation for today's CDC announcement is part of what? Some deep state conspiracy to discredit that Coronavirus narrative?

I had hoped I might find at least a passing reference to what you're cryptically hinting at here, but I'm not seeing anything:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavi ... icial-says

If you're saying anything beyond who the current Director of National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases happens to be related to, please share. Otherwise, if all you're positing is some sort of unsubstantiated guilt-by-familial-association theory, you may have already violated the no politics rule. I certainly hope not because the last thing the ZS community needs RIGHT NOW is to get the Wuhan Coronavirus Thread locked and blocked.
[/quote
You win.

Goodbye
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:00 pm

Please keep this discussion civil.

Please act like the mature adults I know you both to be.

-------------

It is quite sad to me to see this issue be swept up by the highly political nature of life in America.

Faith in institutions and those who staff them is at an all time low regardless of what you believe to be the truth.

I think the CDC's incompetence (low testing, bad kits) is a failing. No more no less, people comment to me immediately in person "Oh well they were defunded"

Telling that is what people want to believe.
Man is a beast of prey

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:25 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:45 pm
CDC now officially warning Americans to prepare for likely CoVid-19 outbreak in U.S.:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/worl ... e=Homepage
“It’s not so much of a question of if this will happen in this country any more but a question of when this will happen,” said Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

“We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” Dr. Messonnier said.
The CDC does not make such pronouncements lightly. Not yet quite time for the 'bunker up' scenario Dabster is asking about in another ZS thread, but we've moved a bit closer to that decision point than we were just yesterday.

I am interpreting this latest development as official notice to all Americans to stock up on food, water, medicine and face masks. If your place of employment has business continuity plans and work at home arrangements, now is the time to familiarize yourself with them.
Yes, I think this was the opening bell for the U.S. to stock up and prepare to keep your kids at home, figure out if you can tele-work, have a cash reserve or line of credit in case your workplace has to shut down. I've got almost 5000 coworkers in my building.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:44 am

TacAir wrote:

You're already pretty deep into the No Politics rule so, yes, stopping now would definitely be the smart move.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:02 am

Four more confirmed tonight.

Italy went from , everything under control to oh shit !!! In one weekend. That's about what I think the timeframe will be here. 2-3 days from outbreak to panic switch.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:18 am

NPR: Up First reports that the a US Service Member has contracted CoVid-19.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:36 am

Differences in face masks:

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:58 pm

Cross posting for visibility.

This is a companies plan I lifted:
Triggers and Actions
Phase 1 Triggers
More than 100 instances of in-the-wild person-to-person virus transmission between people who are not close relatives/living in the same house and outside of a hospital setting, occurring within the commuting radius of a given Coinbase office. Measured mortality rate remains 1% or above (10x the seasonal flu). Observed transmission rate remains above 1.5.

Phase 1 Actions
We may ask certain populations of employees to WFH in the impacted area (e.g. if there is a hotspot of transmission)
We will offer optional WFH for all employees in the impacted area (especially important for those with potentially vulnerable populations at home, the very young, very old or those with otherwise compromised immune systems).
We will enhance office cleaning schedules to be more frequent/in-depth, especially around areas of high traffic (elevators, meeting rooms, bathrooms, food areas) along with specific mask disposal bins.
We will limit office visitors to essential personnel only (and work with recruiting to e.g. move interviews to video calls where possible)
We will ask all leaders to start making plans for continuity of operations/identification and movement of critical workloads/personnel to other offices or to WFH.

Phase 2 Triggers (aka local containment is failing)
More than 1000 events as above or any government quarantine actions in the commute range of a Coinbase office. Measured mortality rate remains 1% or above (10x the seasonal flu). Observed transmission rate remains above 1.5.

Phase 2 Actions
We'll work with individual business owners to execute their critical workload movement plans to whatever office seems least impacted.
stop meal service in impacted office(s). Potentially moot, as we expect most employees will be voluntarily wfh at this point.
stop all visitors to the office(s) OR institute a visitor health screening program (e.g. airport style infrared camera in the office lobby + basic screening questions). Again, may be moot.
Phase 3 Triggers (aka containment has failed, it’s going to be a wild ride)
More than 5000 infections with an increasingly upward trend (Doubling interval is 10 days or less). Measured mortality rate remains 1% or above (10x the seasonal flu). Observed transmission rate remains above 1.5.

Phase 3 Actions
mandatory WFH in the impacted area(s)
All workload movement plans executed, including potential relocation of essential personnel outside the danger area.
at this level, I'd expect our ability to use 3rd party services like cleaning, snacks, etc to start to break down because of fear driven absenteeism.
I’d also expect to see regional isolation in the impacted area
Man is a beast of prey

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:04 pm

That is a good plan summary.

I will be candid about CONVID 2019. Strictly opinion here not fact.

IMO this is not I repeat not TEOTAWKI again opinion It will be at worst equal to a bad flu season in terms of deaths. So we will in effect have 2 bad flu seasons this year. It will suck if you get COVID 19 but it will not likely kill you. You may feel so bad you may wish it kills you, but it likely will not be anything except an annoyance.

What scares the shit out of me is the hype and resulting panic that people may inflict. I go through this every hurricane season with people running buying things cleaning out stores scaring other people into doing the same thing. The PTB of course will impose restrictions "for the good of everyone" and in typical bureaucrat style it will of course result in more restrictions than productive prevention. This in turn can lead to unintended consequences and people reacting foolishly.

In a bit of intended irony I am going to quote a bureaucrat in an attempt to convey my opinion...The only thing we (ZS'ers) have to fear is fear itself.

My advice...
Check your preps. Make sure you can stay home for at least 15 days without needing food or water. Avoid crowds (like Mardi Gras :roll:, airports and stores) as much as possible. When you do have to interact with crowds wear long pants, long sleeve shirt and change your clothes when you get home and wash the clothing you just wore. Keep you hands away from your face, eyes and nose. Wash your hands with simple soap and water for ~ 15 seconds and wipe your hands dry with a towel. If soap and water is not available like exiting a store use hand sanitizer. If you feel sick, stay home rest, drink plenty of fluids. You will be fine, or at least 97% of you who do get either the flu or COVID -19 will be fine.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:53 pm

So it's CONVID-19 not CoVid-19 now?

Also: From CNBC via Reuters:
3:15 pm: Norway detects its first case of coronavirus: Norway’s Public Health Agency said that one person had tested positive for coronavirus and was being kept isolated at home, in what was the country’s first confirmed case.The person had returned from China late last week, but did not appear ill and was unlikely to infect others, the agency said. —Reuters

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:38 pm

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:20 pm

MPMalloy
ZS Member