2012 Autum MBO Chatter/Planning Thread

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

JayceSlayn

Re: 2012 Autum MBO Chatter/Planning Thread

Post by JayceSlayn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Some friends of mine and I were trying to get a MBO organized earlier this summer but it fell through. I've already shown them this thread to help inspire us to try again this fall! I'm looking forward to it, and I'll definitely try to document it well for this contest.

Thanks for the inspiration, and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's entries as well!
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

The Machinist
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by The Machinist » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Medic73 wrote:Machinist,

We enjoyed it too and will be going on a few of the Fall MBOs too. Would you and your family want to go too? Same place maybe? Let me know. I have some other good places with nice hiking trails where can walk as far as we want. The trail system is over 300 miles long that I'm talking about and is just about 2-1/2 hours drive from here to get to it. Let me know.

And to all, I have seen his folding ZS stove and it is SWEET! You really want to win one.

Medic73
Not sure if it would be just me or me and the kiddo but I am choming at the bit to get out again! I am anxious to see if you get the fire bow working, that is, if they let us have an open fire around here anytime soon! Any place is good but I stumbled upon some nice topo maps of that area and printed out a few on my plotter. Was planning on giving you one the next time I see you my friend, I think it would be a good addition to your kit since you like that area so much. I am up for whatever sir, lead and I shall follow.
Blackdog wrote:I can hear you out there now...."But mister Blackdog these wispy wind shirts are not uber tough and able to fend off meteors and wolfs". I say baaaaaaaaaaaaaah, they are really useful, pack real small and harder to F up than you might think and there is always duct tape. High on my things I like list.

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:50 pm

The first person filming a hot tub BI with 12 babes in HD video wins! :awesome:
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:29 am

Flying Lead wrote:The first person filming a hot tub BI with 12 babes in HD video wins! :awesome:

hmmm.... Is there a prize? I leave for my annual girls only fishing trip the weekend after next. There's only 7 of us though...
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:36 am

I'm hoping to get in on this, since I missed the Summer BO contest. Will there be a patch given out or available for sale, like the Summer 2011 one? I love those patches.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:54 am

Boondock wrote:
omega_man wrote:My gear is always in a constant state of flux :lol:
Yup. Mine's a big hybrid mess of USGI, homemade and bushcraft stuff. Pretty comical.
Shit, I thought that combination was supposed to be what gear was :lol:

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:23 am

maldon007 wrote:
Boondock wrote:
omega_man wrote:My gear is always in a constant state of flux :lol:
Yup. Mine's a big hybrid mess of USGI, homemade and bushcraft stuff. Pretty comical.
Shit, I thought that combination was supposed to be what gear was :lol:
I can make a kit that cost $45 or $1400 and any increment of $5 in between. When I pack it's hard to decide what to carry.
We had a stove show and tell at the hiking club the other night and I brought around 15 stoves. That's not all of them.
I'm such a gear whore. :mrgreen:
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

tookieblueeyes
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM

Post by tookieblueeyes » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:32 am

I was disappointed that I did not get an entry in for the Spring/Summer MBO this year. Every time I thought I would get a chance to get out there and do one, it fell through for one reason or another, so I am looking forward to the Autumn MBO.
Learning is an ongoing process.

GSHX2

Post by GSHX2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 pm

So for clarification purposes to thetechnologically challenged, I need it broken down Barney style (as in the big purple dinosaur)

There will be a separate thread for entries, that much I know from looking at past MBOs.
To keep the picture content low on that thread we will post our entry with a link to our actual entry?

So we as entrants will start our own thread in here to post all of our zombie entrée avoidance skills and then what we will post on the entry thread will be kinda like:

"Hi my name is Dave and I am a Zombiephobe. Here is the link to my entry for the Fall MBO 2012 (insert link here)"
Gauging interest in a Colorado Springs Chapter:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=103461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% Skill, 50% Luck

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:23 pm

That's what I'm gathering ... is he correct?
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:40 pm

I was thinking Name, Link, 1 picture (maybe 640x480 or something), and 2-3 sentences about it? (duration, weather conditions, distance, :words: )

GSHX2

Post by GSHX2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:54 pm

Ok, so one picture as the hook, a little blurb, then a link to where the real eye candy and verbal diarrhea begin.

Sweet!

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=103461" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% Skill, 50% Luck

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:13 pm

GSHX2 wrote:Ok, so one picture as the hook, a little blurb, then a link to where the real eye candy and verbal diarrhea begin.

Sweet!
That's what I was thinking. Do we want a chat thread, too? That way we can collectively fawn over each other's awesomeness.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

GSHX2

Post by GSHX2 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:53 pm

omega_man wrote:
GSHX2 wrote:Ok, so one picture as the hook, a little blurb, then a link to where the real eye candy and verbal diarrhea begin.

Sweet!
That's what I was thinking. Do we want a chat thread, too? That way we can collectively fawn over each other's awesomeness.
Maybe a link to it in the first post of the entry thread and everyone can link it in their individual entry threads? Keeps everything tidy for what I will believe to be a mass MBO! Sounds like there is going to be lots of participation which is awesome!

100% Skill, 50% Luck

Tribunal Power
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead... Really, I prefer zombie video games.

Post by Tribunal Power » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Still wondering of there will be a patch available! I saw the ssmbo patch and it looks sick. I'm totally jelly of all the people that got one and would live to have one for the fall MBO. I'll give many monies for it!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:44 pm

omega_man wrote:

Sweet!
We often have two threads one for entries and the other for chat. This time I will move any chatting within the entry thread to the chat thread unless it is done by a judge, mod or the post is administrative in nature aka the intro post, entry list or special announcements. I would also recommend the entry post be a global sticky or if not I will make it a sticky within the BOG forum. It is the custom to allow multiple entries from a single contestant.

1. All entries must post proof of trip with photos or videos.

2. If the contestant dies their entry is disqualified.

3. Contestants can post multiple entries.

4. The quality of the entry post will be taken into account. Good write-up, photos and videos.

5. The contestant must be able to travel by foot with their gear. This is the bug-out gear forum. Even if someone posts a bug-in or car MBO they should have something that could be picked up and moved to another location under their own power. They wouldn’t be restricted to using just that kit but the option must be available.

Just a few ideas for some rules to be considered.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Keith B
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 pm

WW,
It was my understanding that we were changing that to be individual threads to allow for commentary on each entry.
I personally like the idea, it gives the chance for feedback that might otherwise be lost in the noise.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:16 am

sigboy40 wrote:WW,
It was my understanding that we were changing that to be individual threads to allow for commentary on each entry.
I personally like the idea, it gives the chance for feedback that might otherwise be lost in the noise.
There are pros and cons to this.

The primary con is all other threads could get pushed down to page 2 or lower if there are many entries. We have our daily questions and "Review my BOB." posts to consider not just the contest. Also there would be a greater chance of an entry being overlooked during the judging. Heck it can be hard to keep track of them in one thread. The same goes for anyone looking up the contest at a later date.

On the pro side it would be easier for people to view each entry as all those photos/vids from the other entries wouldn't have to load. Also all the reasons you posted.

If the community wants to do individual entries that's fine but if it becomes a major problem I would have to merge them all together and create a new thread in the middle of the contest. That could be a mess or maybe not.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:32 am

I say we give it a try WW. We'll have "The Index Thread" with posts that contain links to the "entry threads".

Of course, with anything new, we will see if it screws it all up halfway through.
President ZSC011

Keith B
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:43 am

Ninja elbow is correct. When we sticky the main thread it will stay on top. In that, members can post a link to their entry with a short blurb summarizing it and one pic. The pages will load faster, and people will be able to navigate it better. I know I have a hard time finding individual entries when there is hundreds of pics on one page.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:18 am

sigboy40 wrote:Ninja elbow is correct. When we sticky the main thread it will stay on top. In that, members can post a link to their entry with a short blurb summarizing it and one pic. The pages will load faster, and people will be able to navigate it better. I know I have a hard time finding individual entries when there is hundreds of pics on one page.
Ok then we will need the main thread with write-up explaining the rules, giving all do honors to past winners etc etc and either myself or Gabe will make that a sticky within the BOG forum should it not be made a global sticky. It appears ZS is fully supporting this contest so I will contact the Administrator and request a pubLic global announcement sticky (could be the main thread or something else) and news on ZS's main page when ready unless anyone else has a better idea on how to advertise the contest.

If there are problems later on with the individual entry threads I will deal with it then. With luck it will run smooth.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:19 am

sigboy40 wrote:Ninja elbow is correct. When we sticky the main thread it will stay on top. In that, members can post a link to their entry with a short blurb summarizing it and one pic. The pages will load faster, and people will be able to navigate it better. I know I have a hard time finding individual entries when there is hundreds of pics on one page.

^^^This.

My connection at work is pretty slow so it took quite a while to load when the page got full. I would hate to see LESS pics and videos so I like the idea of individual entries. I don't think they'll clutter up the main feed TOO much but if this format works what about adding a subcategory to "Survival Skills" specifically for the Mock Bugout threads? It seems that we do at least 3 a year with the support of the powers that be. Toss a MBO container in with Bushcraft and Urban then perhaps another container for each bugout contest? Or have people format their subjects accordingly at least.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:34 am

slannesh wrote:

^^^This.

My connection at work is pretty slow so it took quite a while to load when the page got full. I would hate to see LESS pics and videos so I like the idea of individual entries. I don't think they'll clutter up the main feed TOO much but if this format works what about adding a subcategory to "Survival Skills" specifically for the Mock Bugout threads? It seems that we do at least 3 a year with the support of the powers that be. Toss a MBO container in with Bushcraft and Urban then perhaps another container for each bugout contest? Or have people format their subjects accordingly at least.
I think we will wait and see what happens first. This just before a contest starts might not be the best time. I could always move any threads into a new sub forum later if one is needed etc etc etc. Same goes for the past contests. The individual entry idea is a go so we have to work on the main thread and rules.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Heh... Woods said "pubic". Heh.

ETA: I will work on the stickied index thread today. Maybe on my lunch break in about an hour.
President ZSC011

Return to “Bug Out Gear”