rethinking my EDC

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kevin108

Re: rethinking my EDC

Post by Kevin108 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:21 am

When I first started carrying, I was told, "Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting. It's not necessarily comfortable."

That said, I've tried a variety of holsters and found that the CompTAC CTAC with a G26 works great for me. I've carried it for some time with a ClipDraw as well.

cbr900

Post by cbr900 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:27 am

in the summer its more about the heat and sweat messing up the finish which causes me to dislike holster carry.

Action.Jackson

Post by Action.Jackson » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:48 am

cbr900 wrote:in the summer its more about the heat and sweat messing up the finish which causes me to dislike holster carry.
I kinda think it looks good. I have a sweat shield on my holster but when I took it hiking and it still got a little sweaty. Adds character. :crazy:

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:19 pm

cbr900 wrote:With the wave of arrests recently at several Batman showings im rethinking my EDC. Some were evening holding a valid CC license but were still arrested. Another was singled out because he was carrying a Maxpedition fat boy. Im in South East Texas and it gets pretty hot and humid so during the summer I usually carry in a small bag.

But now I want to avoid any attention at all....thinking of ditching the bag entirely as I walked around pretty much any guy with a bag would look out of place. Any input on this?
The only arrest I read about was a guy who didn't have an CCW anyway...I can't imagine getting arrested if you have a valid CCW, unless you live in a state where CCW is illegal in theaters (it is in mine :( ) or the theater staff asks you to leave and you don't (in which case it's a trespassing charge.) Can you post links to "Batman" arrests of people who were legally conceal carrying?

Other issue with bags in theaters: I've never been let into a movie with a back pack, shoulder bag, messenger bag, or man-purse of any kind. I see women go in with purses unquestioned, but every time I've tried to carry an EDC bag (without weapons of any sort) into a movie theater the staff have asked me to leave it in my car, or wanted proff that I didn't have video recording equipment in it, or otherwise given me crap. And that's not just one theater or one theater chain. It's every single time I've ever tried to take a bag into a movie.
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:24 pm

One of the advantages of living in a "bike-y" town is that 50% of the people going to theatres here have messenger bags. Never been questioned about carrying a bag into a theatre here. Then again, I don't go into them as much as I used to.

That said I don't carry a bag into theatres anymore like I used to and I carry IWB.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

zenprepper

Post by zenprepper » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:48 am

Hmm. We're allowed to bring bags into theatres here. Or, at least, I have and haven't been hassled. I always have some kind of "man bag" on me. In fact, I don't go to the movies often (would rather enjoy them in our theatre at home) but when I went out last time with the family, the theatre lost power. The emergency lights only lit up the door areas, not the hallways nor the STAIRS or even the bathroom (and I just drank one of those HUGE pops and had to pee lol). So, I broke out my handy dandy petzl headlamp, put it around my neck (didn't want to look too dorky with it on my head or blind people), went to the bathroom and when I came back, they forced everyone to leave for safety reasons so I lit up the stairs so that everybody could leave safely (the employees had dinky little dollar store lights and they were too busy screwing around to actually help any patrons). So my little EDC kit saved the day!

Of course, I didn't have a big bag or anything tactical on me, I just moved my main EDC stuff (first aid, flash light & headlight, work gloves and mask (in case of fire or something), folding knife, etc.) and it served its purpose. Made me feel a little vindicated, especially to my family when three times that night they needed something that I pulled out of my little bag and nobody else had on them :D

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:56 am

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:
crypto wrote:Who the fuck lets you take a backpack in a movie theater? They've been verboten at all our local theater chains for at least a decade.

Not because they think you've got a gun in it, but because they assume its full of candy and concessions you brought in from outside, or that theres a camcorder in it.

Seriously, I havent seen a backpack allowed in a theater in /years/
"This is because I'm a MAN, isn't it? I demand to see your manager! This is sexual discrimination! My backpack is smaller than that woman's PURSE, and you didn't hassle her."

I haven't tried that at a theater, but I've done it at other businesses. It works pretty well, especially when you've got diaper aged kids in tow and calmly explain that it's a diaper bag, but you'd be more than happy to put it back in your vehicle and let the kid crap on their floor ;)
I do this sometimes with my manpurse. I hate to say it, but I did once resort to "IT'S BECAUSE I"M GAY ISN'T IT" before the employee decided that men can carry purses too. Most of the time it's more a "Oh. You called it a purse. The rules say you can have a purse. Carry on."
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

zenprepper

Post by zenprepper » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:40 am

Doc Torr wrote: I do this sometimes with my manpurse. I hate to say it, but I did once resort to "IT'S BECAUSE I"M GAY ISN'T IT" before the employee decided that men can carry purses too. Most of the time it's more a "Oh. You called it a purse. The rules say you can have a purse. Carry on."
So you used the gay card? :clap: Well played, sir lol Maybe that's why nobody hassles me about my manpurse, they're afraid of being accused of discrimination :rofl:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:45 am

The individual in question used a particular pejorative.

Sent via Neural Net Uplink
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

zenprepper

Post by zenprepper » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:00 am

Doc Torr wrote:The individual in question used a particular pejorative.

Sent via Neural Net Uplink
Oh. That is shitty :(

Kevin108

Post by Kevin108 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 pm

cbr900 wrote:in the summer its more about the heat and sweat messing up the finish which causes me to dislike holster carry.
I have a Kydex holster and a polymer-framed tennifer-coated defense tool. Do you worry about smudges on your wrenches?

Neddog
Favorite Zombie Movies: High School of the Dead
Juan de los Muertos
Land of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by Neddog » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:31 am

lol... when I was a kid bags weren't allowed into movie theaters because they were afraid of you sneaking in snacks and drinks to avoid the concession. My how times have changed... :roll:
Ned Yeung, A.C.E.
cyclopsphoto.ca

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:37 am

Maybe it's because the theatre I usually go to is 5 minutes from my college campus or maybe it's because I'm usually with a bunch of friends that are also still carrying our back packs, but I've never even had anyone ask to look in my bad, much less been told to leave it outside. Your guys' theatres must be really strict.

Deenie7
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

Post by Deenie7 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:49 am

ArmchairRacer wrote:Maybe it's because the theatre I usually go to is 5 minutes from my college campus or maybe it's because I'm usually with a bunch of friends that are also still carrying our back packs, but I've never even had anyone ask to look in my bad, much less been told to leave it outside. Your guys' theatres must be really strict.
It's about what's expected. No one would think twice about a college student wearing a backpack unless he looked like he was going camping, but a college-student-aged person carrying a leather briefcase would probably look odd. In situations where no guy is really carrying a bag commonly (like a suburban-ish movie theater where everyone drove there), it'll stand out.

rockydog

Post by rockydog » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:14 am

Sorry if this is OT, but speaking of bags and theaters... The days after the batman tragedy, our theater (in Louisiana) had a cop outside the batman theater. I don't know why he was there. But let's say I was going to bring a backpack in the theater, would the cop try, or have the right to try, to search my bag? Isn't that illegal?

Deenie7
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

Post by Deenie7 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:49 am

rockydog wrote:Sorry if this is OT, but speaking of bags and theaters... The days after the batman tragedy, our theater (in Louisiana) had a cop outside the batman theater. I don't know why he was there. But let's say I was going to bring a backpack in the theater, would the cop try, or have the right to try, to search my bag? Isn't that illegal?
I'm pretty sure that private businesses have the right to require your belongings to be searched, else you can opt to take your business elsewhere if you don't want this to happen.

If a cop stopped you randomly out on the street for no good reason and had zero probable cause to search you, that's the illegal bit.

JF5000
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead Series, Resident Evil (movies), Zombieland (That movie was a Riot)

rethinking my EDC

Post by JF5000 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:27 am

In reference to 30.06,Thank you! That clears that up.
"Why, Johnny Ringo! You look like somebody just walked over your grave."

kaligaran

Post by kaligaran » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Deenie7 wrote:
rockydog wrote:Sorry if this is OT, but speaking of bags and theaters... The days after the batman tragedy, our theater (in Louisiana) had a cop outside the batman theater. I don't know why he was there. But let's say I was going to bring a backpack in the theater, would the cop try, or have the right to try, to search my bag? Isn't that illegal?
I'm pretty sure that private businesses have the right to require your belongings to be searched, else you can opt to take your business elsewhere if you don't want this to happen.

If a cop stopped you randomly out on the street for no good reason and had zero probable cause to search you, that's the illegal bit.
That's my understanding too. Just like when you go to a concert or theme park. Normally they search ALL bags and even have a seperate line for people bringing bags in.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”