rethinking my EDC

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

cbr900

rethinking my EDC

Post by cbr900 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:33 pm

With the wave of arrests recently at several Batman showings im rethinking my EDC. Some were evening holding a valid CC license but were still arrested. Another was singled out because he was carrying a Maxpedition fat boy. Im in South East Texas and it gets pretty hot and humid so during the summer I usually carry in a small bag.

But now I want to avoid any attention at all....thinking of ditching the bag entirely as I walked around pretty much any guy with a bag would look out of place. Any input on this?

Boris

Re: rethinking my EDC

Post by Boris » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:59 pm

I got this for free from Backwoods, but I never use it.

http://www.zappos.com/osprey-flapjack-courier-jet-black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something more like a messenger bag would look less "threatening". I'm sure if you just wait a few days/weeks people will settle down. People will always judge you by the clothing you wear, and project their own fears onto you. If you wear camo/military clothing and a maxpedition bag, people will make assumptions. Most people wouldn't think twice about a messenger bag, especially if you have a stylish hat, sunglasses and shoes.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Teddy Roosevelt

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:10 pm

I live in College Station and carry a G34. Get a good holster and belt and it's no problem at all. Off Body carry is a good way to make sure the pistol is somewhere other than in reach when you need it.

If a business has a 30.06 sign posted, take your business elsewhere. That's pretty straight forward.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:31 pm

If you need a bag, you don't have to carry one that looks all tacticool. I highly recommend Tom Bihn shoulder bags and Jansport Big Student backpacks for capacious, harmless-looking, citified EDC purposes.

I've been carrying a Tom Bihn Medium Cafe Bag for almost three years now and it shows no visible signs of wear. I also have two Big Students, one for work (taxi driver) and one for school. Both Big Students still look new.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

cbr900

Post by cbr900 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:35 pm

For some reason I just cant stand to wear a holster in this heat ill check out the bags you guys mentioned thanks

kaligaran

Post by kaligaran » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:00 am

I have a maxped sitka sling bag in black simliar to the one posted in the OP. I was looking for something small that wasn't a backpack. I love it, BUT even having 12 pounds in it is heavy and pulls on your shoulder. Regardless, it doesn't get any looks but being black it blends in and the molle webbing isn't really noticable. My clothing also doesn't look military or mall ninja in the slightest.

I think a lot also depends on what you are wearing. If you look like a college student or business person then having a bag that is appropriate for that style is not going to get many second looks.

Out here in CA a lot of guys carry a messenger bag or backpack (lots of tech companies so lots of people carrying a laptop, tablet, etc). I think backpacks often can look out of place but small messenger type bags usually don't get a second glance from me. Although I'm not trained to pick people out of a crowd either. :)

williaty

Post by williaty » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:15 am

My wife and I were just talking about this tonight. It's frustrating that all the bags with useful and innovative features for EDCness also LOOK like EDCs. It'd be nice to see something with the Maxpedition level of thought and versatility that doesn't look like you need arresting.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:47 am

Lets keep on topic and away from political commentary. Thank you.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

cbr900

Post by cbr900 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:40 am

williaty wrote:My wife and I were just talking about this tonight. It's frustrating that all the bags with useful and innovative features for EDCness also LOOK like EDCs. It'd be nice to see something with the Maxpedition level of thought and versatility that doesn't look like you need arresting.
Agree 100% when we take the kids out I end up packing tons of stuff, and it usually goes into a maxpedition style bag because of all the pockets and ability to conceal a handgun. I just cant stand having anything on my belt, I guess its because im a commercial electrician and get tired of lugging around 10lbs of tools on my belt all day at work.

I wear a holster during the winter or what we call winter here. As far as looking less masculine I couldnt care less....im beyond that point in my life now...its simple really if you use and carry more items that fit in your pockets you need some way to carry them
Last edited by cbr900 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

cbr900

Post by cbr900 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:44 am

kaligaran wrote:I have a maxped sitka sling bag in black simliar to the one posted in the OP. I was looking for something small that wasn't a backpack. I love it, BUT even having 12 pounds in it is heavy and pulls on your shoulder. Regardless, it doesn't get any looks but being black it blends in and the molle webbing isn't really noticable. My clothing also doesn't look military or mall ninja in the slightest.

I think a lot also depends on what you are wearing. If you look like a college student or business person then having a bag that is appropriate for that style is not going to get many second looks.

Out here in CA a lot of guys carry a messenger bag or backpack (lots of tech companies so lots of people carrying a laptop, tablet, etc). I think backpacks often can look out of place but small messenger type bags usually don't get a second glance from me. Although I'm not trained to pick people out of a crowd either. :)

I have a sitka as well I love that pack take it hiking all the time it went with coyote brown wish they had blue or something a little more low key.

SoCalShook

Post by SoCalShook » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:55 am

Boris wrote:I got this for free from Backwoods, but I never use it.

http://www.zappos.com/osprey-flapjack-courier-jet-black" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something more like a messenger bag would look less "threatening". I'm sure if you just wait a few days/weeks people will settle down. People will always judge you by the clothing you wear, and project their own fears onto you. If you wear camo/military clothing and a maxpedition bag, people will make assumptions. Most people wouldn't think twice about a messenger bag, especially if you have a stylish hat, sunglasses and shoes.
I like that bag. If you never use it would you wan to sell it? :D

Jamuz

rethinking my EDC

Post by Jamuz » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Whoa chicken littles, give me a break. Got any links to these so called "wrongful arrests".

On another note, who gives a shit what others think, if your gear works for you then use it. This "blending in" topic cracks me up every time I come across a post with people wanting to be "low key". Live your life.

williaty

Post by williaty » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Jamuz wrote:Whoa chicken littles, give me a break. Got any links to these so called "wrongful arrests".

On another note, who gives a shit what others think, if your gear works for you then use it. This "blending in" topic cracks me up every time I come across a post with people wanting to be "low key". Live your life.
Happened right here in Ohio this week. Guy was made by his tacticool maxpedition bag.

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:22 am

williaty wrote:
Jamuz wrote:Whoa chicken littles, give me a break. Got any links to these so called "wrongful arrests".

Happened right here in Ohio this week. Guy was made by his tacticool maxpedition bag.
OP is in Texas. If he has his permit on him and isn't in a prohibited location, he will not be arrested. End of story.
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Deenie7
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

Post by Deenie7 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:58 am

phil_in_cs wrote:
williaty wrote:

OP is in Texas. If he has his permit on him and isn't in a prohibited location, he will not be arrested. End of story.
And the guy in Ohio, if you're talking about the one who brought in some weapons to a theater, didn't have a concealed carry permit at all.

Nuclear Genie
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by Nuclear Genie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:35 am

There ya go. Nothing is more low key or innocuous than a diaper bag. Sure you'll lose a few cool points, but you will Be Prepared™ when the SHTF, because you'll have diapers. In all honesty though, it would work. But I use an Overland bag, it's pretty innocuous, super durable, and has a lot of room for compartmentalization and useful things like pens and a tablet pc.

"Lost? No, I've never been lost. I will admit to being pretty confused for several weeks..."

~Daniel Boone

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:46 am

RatDrall wrote:
But now I want to avoid any attention at all....thinking of ditching the bag entirely as I walked around pretty much any guy with a bag would look out of place. Any input on this?
Any guy with a purse stands out as being less than masculine, or having a gun in it. Same goes for anyone carrying a backpack into a movie theatre.

Who the fuck lets you take a backpack in a movie theater? They've been verboten at all our local theater chains for at least a decade.

Not because they think you've got a gun in it, but because they assume its full of candy and concessions you brought in from outside, or that theres a camcorder in it.

Seriously, I havent seen a backpack allowed in a theater in /years/
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

JF5000
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead Series, Resident Evil (movies), Zombieland (That movie was a Riot)

rethinking my EDC

Post by JF5000 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 pm

What is a 30.06 sign? I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread.
"Why, Johnny Ringo! You look like somebody just walked over your grave."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:08 pm

In Texas, the statue for concealed carry that specifies the dimensions and verbiage of "you cant carry here" signs is section 30.06 of the Texas statutes.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:09 pm

JF5000 wrote:What is a 30.06 sign? I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread.
http://www.burger.com/gunfaq08.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

only applies in Texas

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:11 pm

crypto wrote:Who the fuck lets you take a backpack in a movie theater? They've been verboten at all our local theater chains for at least a decade.

Not because they think you've got a gun in it, but because they assume its full of candy and concessions you brought in from outside, or that theres a camcorder in it.

"This is because I'm a MAN, isn't it? I demand to see your manager! This is sexual discrimination! My backpack is smaller than that woman's PURSE, and you didn't hassle her."

I haven't tried that at a theater, but I've done it at other businesses. It works pretty well, especially when you've got diaper aged kids in tow and calmly explain that it's a diaper bag, but you'd be more than happy to put it back in your vehicle and let the kid crap on their floor ;)
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

cbr900

Post by cbr900 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:21 pm

I brought this up also because of the lawyer who held a valid permit but was still arrested...yes I do hold a valid CHL

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:29 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:
crypto wrote:Who the fuck lets you take a backpack in a movie theater? They've been verboten at all our local theater chains for at least a decade.

"This is because I'm a MAN, isn't it? I demand to see your manager! This is sexual discrimination! My backpack is smaller than that woman's PURSE, and you didn't hassle her."

I haven't tried that at a theater, but I've done it at other businesses. It works pretty well, especially when you've got diaper aged kids in tow and calmly explain that it's a diaper bag, but you'd be more than happy to put it back in your vehicle and let the kid crap on their floor ;)
Hahah yes. I do that @ Fry's, movie theatres, and anywhere else I have to. I actually specifically refer to my camo-digital pack as a purse so it fits into their stupid rules and they can't do anything about it. Using the word "purse" usually disarms them legally (and store policy-wise) as well as mentally.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:46 pm

I cleaned the thread up. I dislike doing that and once again request we remain on topic.

Thank you.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”