New hydration bladder: Camelbak vs PLatypus

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

New hydration bladder: Camelbak vs PLatypus

Post by Dogan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm in the market for a new bladder for my favorite biking pack (a High Sierra Whitewater), and I only have three constraints: Price, capacity (2l+), and ease of cleaning. I use my current bladder (which is getting gunk at the connections) about every other day, and plan on cleaning it about once a week. Since I already have the pack, this is strictly a matter of bladder for the money. Obviously Camelbak and Platypus are the two main contenders, but I'm open for any suggestions.

What say you, ZS?

PS: Apparently Camelbak does not sell bladders alone.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Re: New hydration bladder: Camelbak vs PLatypus

Post by AKFTW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Dogan wrote:PS: Apparently Camelbak does not sell bladders alone.
Don't know where you got that idea...

But SOURCE hydration bladders are clearly superior to all other options. And they cost the same. So get one now. /thread.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:52 pm

AKFTW wrote:

But SOURCE hydration bladders are clearly superior to all other options. And they cost the same. So get one now. /thread.
AH! They're under accessories for some reason. And I'm looking into those Source's now. I'm assuming you own one? Can you fit your hand in there to scrub the bladder?

Jeckle

Post by Jeckle » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:00 pm

I will second Source, and yes you can get you hand inside by removing the top bar closure.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Dogan wrote:
AKFTW wrote:

AH! They're under accessories for some reason. And I'm looking into those Source's now. I'm assuming you own one? Can you fit your hand in there to scrub the bladder?
Absolutely, especially the 3L one with the closure bar on the top. A review I did back a few months ago will tell you everything you need to know:
http://thepracticalsurvivalist.blogspot ... ource.html

Mooha182

Post by Mooha182 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:33 pm

I have a few camelbaks (Hoss & mule) and can fit my hand in to clean them. Camelbak sells their own cleaning stuff too. Haven't had any problems with mine yet.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Source it is! After I measure my pack I will be ordering one. This is why I love ZS: Quick, concise answers you probably didn't even know existed.

ppfd
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the living dead! What else!

Post by ppfd » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Source is good stuff.

I have a Platy big zip and the CB Antidote.

I don't have a Source just read rave reviews and plan on buying a few soon.

The Platy is nice in that it has an opening similar to a zip lock bag and is closed with a plastic bar. The hose also comes off for drying and cleaning.

I dry mine with a clean towel and then hang them in the basement for a few hours then put them in the freezer.

Andrew Sterner
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Zombieland, Tokyo Zombie, [REC], Quarantine(1 and 2), Juan of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead.

Post by Andrew Sterner » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Does anyone have a source for source? I think I found it on Amazon, but I'd like to make sure this is what you guys are all on about.

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Outdoors-H ... on+bladder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what I found FWIW

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Andrew Sterner wrote:Does anyone have a source for source? I think I found it on Amazon, but I'd like to make sure this is what you guys are all on about.

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Outdoors-H ... on+bladder" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's what I found FWIW
These guys, I think:http://source-military.com/30-wxp-3l-storm-valve.html

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:25 pm

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 pm

Maybe it’s just me but I had better luck in terms of durability with Platy bags over Camelbaks.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

PsycoBob
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by PsycoBob » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:52 am

Platy makes nice, cheap, good-tasting bags. More puncture resistant that you'd think, too. $30 for a 3L.
MSR Domedary bags & their Dom-lite & hydromedary cousins are damned near unbreakable. Like the Source bags, they have a standard screw-cap for compatible filters. $40 for 3L hydromedary.
Source bladders can be bought direct from the company, it seems. Eberlestock seems to be another name they're sold under, for a few less bucks. $29/shipped on ebay for the WXP 3L. AFMO.com has them for $32, shipped.

Source's .mil bladders come with a fabric-covered hose, a big plus for keeping stuff from growing.

DaleGribble

Post by DaleGribble » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:33 am

I use a Platypus as well, a whole filtration system as a matter of fact. Seems to work great and doesn't taste funny like some Ive tried.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Another vote for Source here, I've got a couple that have seen several years of use and no failures or funky taste/growth yet. And to be honest i'm awful at cleaning them out, I think i've used the cleaning tabs MAYBE once a year.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:29 pm

I haven't used Source or MSR but I like Platypus over Camelback as my Camelbacks (2 since 2001) have all leaked on me after about 2 years of use.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Used both, Source bags seem more rugged, but the only damage I've done to my CamelBak was to break the mouthpiece off.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

colinz

Post by colinz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:57 pm

ninja-elbow wrote: I haven't used Source or MSR but I like Platypus over Camelback as my Camelbacks (2 since 2001) have all leaked on me after about 2 years of use.
Interesting that you've had a couple of failures. I've got three Camelbacks now (only two have bladders though).

The first one I got as a teenager (circa 1998) is a 'Mountain Biking' style one which was basically a neoprene sleeve with a mesh pocket on the outside. I assed off my bike more than a few times onto it, and never split the bladder. It had the old square style 2L bladder in it, sadly the bladder has now been retired due to excessive fungal growth. My fault.

Second is a Camelbak H.A.W.G. (circa 2003) with the 3L Omega bladder. I use it as my day hunt bag, and have also assed over onto it a few times on slippery terrain. No issues with the bladder splitting or leaking, although I have had to replace the Hydrolink valve as it got slammed in a car door and destroyed. The neoprene sleeve for the tube is a damn good idea too IMO, stops the tube getting as warm when exposed to sunlight, or run under the armpit for easier use.

Third is a Camelbak Rim Runner (circa 2006), also with a 3L bladder. No issues with this one either so far, however, the bladder doesn't get used much as I've usually got a waterbottle stuffed into one of the side sleeves of the bag instead.

wpick

Post by wpick » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Hey

Camelbak and Platypus are the only ones that really work well. I use both.

wpick

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:33 am

wpick wrote:Hey

Camelbak and Platypus are the only ones that really work well. I use both.

wpick
Source is just plain better. Better materials, better tech, and designed from the ground up for military use and field conditions.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:06 pm

colinz wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote: I haven't used Source or MSR but I like Platypus over Camelback as my Camelbacks (2 since 2001) have all leaked on me after about 2 years of use.
Interesting that you've had a couple of failures. I've got three Camelbacks now (only two have bladders though).

The first one I got as a teenager (circa 1998) is a 'Mountain Biking' style one which was basically a neoprene sleeve with a mesh pocket on the outside. I assed off my bike more than a few times onto it, and never split the bladder. It had the old square style 2L bladder in it, sadly the bladder has now been retired due to excessive fungal growth. My fault.

Second is a Camelbak H.A.W.G. (circa 2003) with the 3L Omega bladder. I use it as my day hunt bag, and have also assed over onto it a few times on slippery terrain. No issues with the bladder splitting or leaking, although I have had to replace the Hydrolink valve as it got slammed in a car door and destroyed. The neoprene sleeve for the tube is a damn good idea too IMO, stops the tube getting as warm when exposed to sunlight, or run under the armpit for easier use.

Third is a Camelbak Rim Runner (circa 2006), also with a 3L bladder. No issues with this one either so far, however, the bladder doesn't get used much as I've usually got a waterbottle stuffed into one of the side sleeves of the bag instead.
I've just had bad luck. I've heard of a few other failures but 3x more success. My first one I used to also mountin bike with and I also endo'ed with it on a few times as well as filled it with booze and juice a couple times. I attributed the failures to not caring for the thing, bought a second and took care of that one and then it started to leak too. Both were around the opening. Been running Platy bladders now for the past 4 years and doing fine. Going to upgrade to an MSR Dromedary but now I am hearing about these Source bladders and I think I can get them locally. :idea:
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

wpick

Post by wpick » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Hello

O understand the layality to Source. I'm not familiar with them at all. What does the Army and Marine Coprs use downrange?

wpick

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:43 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
colinz wrote:

I've just had bad luck. I've heard of a few other failures but 3x more success. My first one I used to also mountin bike with and I also endo'ed with it on a few times as well as filled it with booze and juice a couple times. I attributed the failures to not caring for the thing, bought a second and took care of that one and then it started to leak too. Both were around the opening. Been running Platy bladders now for the past 4 years and doing fine. Going to upgrade to an MSR Dromedary but now I am hearing about these Source bladders and I think I can get them locally. :idea:
I had problems with Camelbaks leaking so you're not the only one.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Crimson Phoenix
Favorite Zombie Movies: Virtually any Romero film, 28 Days Later, Zombieland, but I didn't care much for the Resident Evil trilogy.

Post by Crimson Phoenix » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:38 am

I've had the same surplus Camelbak Ambush carrier since 2005. At the time, I bought a 3L blue Camelbak bladder, and it worked well, but molded once due to improper storage. And by improper storage, I mean hanging the empty bladder still in the carrier off my doorknob for almost two weeks before realizing I never vented it to dry. Cleaning's easy enough, and you can store empty ones in the freezer to prevent future molding between uses. It served me well for five years until I managed the cross-thread the thing to the point I couldn't open the fill port, even with tools. I decided to retire it and get a military 3L Omega reservoir in 2010, before doing my field camp, and it's served me well so far. I actually like the military one better because of the shut-off valve, bite valve cover, insulated tube, and the tube can easily unhook from the bladder and bite valve for much easier cleaning and brushing. I've had no problems with it, except one time when I didn't fully clip the tube to the bladder and it came undone in my pack just before a trip. Fortunately, it ended up as a good waterproofing test of my pack and nothing inside but the bladder pouch on the Spec-Ops Recon Ruck filled with water. Nothing else got wet. Flipping amazing quality there. Both Camelbak bladders have been all over Texas with me from travel to airsoft to geology field study, so I'd say they're solid enough. I still regularly use the Ambush carrier with bladder when I go walking with a friend 3-5 miles in the Texas heat.
Last edited by Crimson Phoenix on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”