1 person tent choices

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

blegg69

1 person tent choices

Post by blegg69 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:06 pm

I'm thinking of getting a tent for my INCH Bag a genuine issue CFP-90 rucksack, which will also be used for hiking and packpacking. I'm considering between these 2: Eureka Backcountry 1 or Snugpak Ionosphere 1 Yeah or Nay or another choice

ElevenBravo

Re: 1 person tent choices

Post by ElevenBravo » Wed May 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Eureka, SnugPak, Kelty... and a few others... its really, really hard to go wrong with any of them... Maybe a bit bigger than your needs, but Ive got the Kelty Grand Mesa 2, and it just is big enough for myself and a close fellow sleeper, *OR* all my shit gear... Includes a vest so you can keep your boots out, but still covered.

GL,
Andrew
"Smart people have something to say, idiots have to say something"
My Youtube Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/dieselwarriordotcom

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:15 pm

I just got a Mountain Hardware Sprite and put it through its paces last weekend on a kayaking trip and it was awesome! It rained like hell the first night and everything stayed dry, the small vestibule is a huge plus for storing some gear, most one person tents have barely enough room for a person let alone any gear. You should check it out.

***edit***
Side entry is really nice after a few beers, you can just sort of roll into your tent!
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Andy in NH

Post by Andy in NH » Wed May 16, 2012 9:40 pm

If you don't mind going floorless, check out the Kifaru Para Tarp or Super Tarp. http://www.kifaru.net/tarps_hootches.html

Para Tarp (16 oz. with annex)

Super Tarp (22 oz. with annex)

The Super Tarp packs up real small.

Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field.

I live vicariously through my own memories.

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

joekaveh

Post by joekaveh » Wed May 16, 2012 10:13 pm

I also prefer tarps. I've heard and read only positive things about the Backcountry 1 and wouldnt hesitate to buy one myself. They only thing with using a tent is: you're going to carry more weight and I would HIGHLY suggest using a ground sheet to protect the floor of the tent from sticks and stones etc. I would also check into http://www.tarptent.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.nemoequipment.com/tents2011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
here's a tip: learn to swim

Donate Blood: http://www.redcross.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my bob: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=49972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed May 16, 2012 11:26 pm

If you really are willing to forgo a floor

From our own Wyoming lost and found.

Weight just a tad over 1 pound

5 ft x 11 foot big.

even has a door to keep out the weather.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Nickthezombiehunter

Post by Nickthezombiehunter » Wed May 16, 2012 11:54 pm

This is the small tent I have. It's good for one plus gear or two if your friendly and do not have to much gear for the vestibule. One time I used it, I ran a twin size blowup mattress with about 7" worth of space left in width. It fit my gun case and some quick acces gear next to the mattress. I would recommend this tent. The eureka solitaire is also popular, but it's pretty small. I live in Texas so having a shelter without a floor is a little scary, with a the creepy crawly things that come out in the warm night.

http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/ERKTZ2C ... TAodVx0GDA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

N

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu May 17, 2012 8:51 am

Backpacking only I'd go 1-man like you plan to but with a gear area in case of rain due to weight (ounces grow up to be pounds very fast).

I don't know that it's germaine to your situation but also consider a 2-man tent so you have plenty of room for gear inside. For canoe or car camping (what I do) I urge people to double the group size and get tents to match (1 person needs a 2-man tent, 2 people need a 4-man tent, and so on).

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Thu May 17, 2012 10:11 am

^Nemo Gogo SE.

Front and side entry and vestibule. Fast set up.

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu May 17, 2012 10:51 am

Here's a link to a 1 man tent I own:

Eureka Solitaire Tent (Picture Intensive)
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=46974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Thu May 17, 2012 3:22 pm

I see a lot of people going floorless. Is there some benefit to this i'm no seeing? I must admit I'm tempted to get one of the Kifaru para tarps but I've never gone floorless.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

TXshooter

Post by TXshooter » Thu May 17, 2012 5:51 pm

That Nemo Gogo looks really sweet, but I wonder how it'd hold up to the wind/elements with that inflatable portion. I've been looking for a solid, lightweight, shelter for a Line 2 BOB that will keep me dry and away from the Texas mosquitoes. I was looking at the Catoma Enhanced Bednet System, actually. Tarps would be lighter and pack better, but I'm not sure about going floorless.

For my INCH bag I have the Eureka TCOP's predecessor (Improved Combat Shelter, which has half a vestibule). It's a very well-built tent, but does pack big and is around 6.5 pounds I think. I'm still debating switching it with a USMC Combat Tent which is heavier and taller, but is two-person. The extra pounds and size may/may not be worth it to shelter another individual.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu May 17, 2012 6:40 pm

74_or_more wrote:I see a lot of people going floorless. Is there some benefit to this i'm no seeing? I must admit I'm tempted to get one of the Kifaru para tarps but I've never gone floorless.
The bennies are more compact storage and reduced weight. Drawbacks are more bugs inside the tent and if not situated properly rain can and will invade. Some areas, like the dessert, just about demand a tent with a floor.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Thu May 17, 2012 6:59 pm

TXshooter wrote:That Nemo Gogo looks really sweet, but I wonder how it'd hold up to the wind/elements with that inflatable portion.
Rig a tarp over it. :D

(The inflatable hoop is 'sposed to be pretty strong though) 8-)

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

TXshooter

Post by TXshooter » Thu May 17, 2012 8:46 pm

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:
TXshooter wrote:That Nemo Gogo looks really sweet, but I wonder how it'd hold up to the wind/elements with that inflatable portion.

(The inflatable hoop is 'sposed to be pretty strong though) 8-)

-
Not a bad idea :D I read that they are supposed to be rated for 4 seasons, so I think you're right. They don't look to be readily available for sale, though, and a bit pricey as such. Only 2 pounds, though :shock:

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Fri May 18, 2012 12:29 am

TXshooter wrote:
Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:

(The inflatable hoop is 'sposed to be pretty strong though)

-
Not a bad idea :D I read that they are supposed to be rated for 4 seasons, so I think you're right
I'm a big fan of the bivvy and tarp school and a tarp or basha over a single skin bivvy is always a good idea in most inclement conditions.
One of the coolest ideas I ever saw was on, of all things, a children's television show called Be The Creature. These guys called The Kratt Brothers were in Madagascar and for their camp they had this big ass SilNylon tarp set up with two lightweight 1 man tents set up underneath it so their whole working/cooking/hanging out area and the single skins were under cover under the same tarp. Pretty sweet. It also solves the "no floor and bugs" issue as well. Inside the bivvy/1xman tent you are protected from the flying and crawling critters while you sleep. 8-)
They don't look to be readily available for sale, though, and a bit pricey as such. Only 2 pounds, though :shock:
They make other models as well but I think the SE is the only one in camo as it is/was being assessed by the .mil.
For my INCH bag I have the Eureka TCOP's predecessor (Improved Combat Shelter, which has half a vestibule). It's a very well-built tent, but does pack big and is around 6.5 pounds I think. I'm still debating switching it with a USMC Combat Tent which is heavier and taller, but is two-person. The extra pounds and size may/may not be worth it to shelter another individual.
For an INCH I'd go with something like the USMC 2Man CT. If you are never coming home it'd be nice to have a bedroom in your backpack rather than just a bed. Like Tater said, that extra roomyness can be a very good thing, especially if you're setting up at a BOL that you're going to be at for a while. :D

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

blegg69

Post by blegg69 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:45 am

I'm starting to lean towards the Eureka USMC 2 man tent

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri May 18, 2012 10:48 am

HAMMOCK!!!

just sayin'

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

ElevenBravo

Post by ElevenBravo » Fri May 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Jamie wrote:HAMMOCK!!!

just sayin'

Jamie

My GT Skeeter Beater just came today, look for a review video on my YT channel soon! Going camping this weekend, so maybe Tue or Wed next week. I get my rotator cuff re-attached Friday next week, so I dont be posting any review or how-to-fuckup videos for a while...

Im going to take the hammock camping with me, wont use it but I want to set it up and play with it at least.

Andrew
"Smart people have something to say, idiots have to say something"
My Youtube Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/dieselwarriordotcom

TXshooter

Post by TXshooter » Fri May 18, 2012 7:29 pm

For an INCH I'd go with something like the USMC 2Man CT. If you are never coming home it'd be nice to have a bedroom in your backpack rather than just a bed. Like Tater said, that extra roomyness can be a very good thing, especially if you're setting up at a BOL that you're going to be at for a while. :D
-
Whoa, those kids are probably more ready for the ZPAW than I am lol. That's a good idea, too, and I was thinking of doing something similar (lightweight Sil tarp and Catoma Bednet). However, I could do the same thing with the Nemo Gogo and have added protection. It's just more expensive. You make a great point about the Combat Tent. I'm bumping it up on my to buy list, and see how I like it. I did like the ICS's 2'9" height for the low-profile concealment, but again, bed vs. bedroom.

Jamie - I was going to throw the hammock into the mix, but I've never actually tried one so I left it to the experts :D

moab

Post by moab » Fri May 18, 2012 9:11 pm

The USMC two man is a bulletproof tent. But at over 10lbs. It's hard to sacrifice that much room and weight in an INCH IMHO. It's really more of a car camping tent than a backpacking tent in that weight range. I'd rather go 5lb Marmot 2p or any other 2p tent in that weight range. Still full rain fly with a floor. You could carry an extra small tarp for ground cover or top cover over your cooking area. In an INCH you really need (again IMHO) a tent with a floor that you can get out of the elements in. That long term it could really make the difference. If you expect rain. Expect rain under you as well as over you. Rain happens. Everywhere. I personally just don't trust a tarp to keep the rain out from under me. And being wet at night is a miserable experience. A tarp is probably fine in a dry or snowy environment. But for my money I'd go with a tent with a floor that isn't to heavy. Or even a hammock with a rain cover. If you have the trees to tie it to.

Spent to many wet nights under shelter halves. LOL! Even with trenches dug. It's a maybe proposition. Again MHO. There are exceptions to the rule. It just depends on where your going to be.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sat May 19, 2012 1:45 am

moab wrote:The USMC two man is a bulletproof tent. But at over 10lbs. It's hard to sacrifice that much room and weight in an INCH IMHO. It's really more of a car camping tent than a backpacking tent in that weight range. I'd rather go 5lb Marmot 2p or any other 2p tent in that weight range. Still full rain fly with a floor. You could carry an extra small tarp for ground cover or top cover over your cooking area. In an INCH you really need (again IMHO) a tent with a floor that you can get out of the elements in. That long term it could really make the difference. If you expect rain. Expect rain under you as well as over you. Rain happens. Everywhere. I personally just don't trust a tarp to keep the rain out from under me. And being wet at night is a miserable experience. A tarp is probably fine in a dry or snowy environment. But for my money I'd go with a tent with a floor that isn't to heavy. Or even a hammock with a rain cover. If you have the trees to tie it to.

Spent to many wet nights under shelter halves. LOL! Even with trenches dug. It's a maybe proposition. Again MHO. There are exceptions to the rule. It just depends on where your going to be.
MOAB,
Purely in a backpack I definitely agree 100%, which is why I suggested "something like" The USMC 2M CT. :D

Adding to what Tater said previously in a way, I'm tending to kinda see INCHing like Carcamping (or BOVing) in a lot of ways these days - but yeah, like you said, the USMC 2M CT is heavy, bombproof but heavy and there are a lot of lighter bombproof 4 season 2 man alternatives to it out there.

TXshooter,
Some thoughts on tents/tarps/bugs from a recent thread...

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 6#p2039946

If you really want a lightweight BOL basecamp bedroom why not go all the way and go for a lightweight bedroom complete with "kitchenette and walk in robe" (lol)...

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 5#p2094365 :D :lol:

I still sooooooo want a Gogo SE.

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

blegg69

Post by blegg69 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:00 am

Ok if we are talking inexpensive or cheap any thoughts on the Texsport camoflauge trail tent?????

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sat May 19, 2012 12:05 pm

blegg69 wrote:Ok if we are talking inexpensive or cheap any thoughts on the Texsport camoflauge trail tent?????
I hear good things about the cheap Texsport products, and have had their tarps reccomended to me many times as a cheap but viable option.

Their boy scout style "pup" tents aren't Hillebergs or SlingFins but for $US 20 - $US 25 apiece they aren't supposed to be.

Most of the reviews I've seen that came up when I was researching Texasport tarps to on sell said that if you do all the right things a gearhead would want to do to it, ie: waterproof them, replace the ground pegs and guy lines, etc they'll do alright. It seems these are the details where Texsport saved money to keep the price down.

I found the pic below after a quick search... I thought it was interesting because of what we've been talking about tarps and basha's over one man tents and bivvys and the like in this thread...

...it also tells me the TS CFT is more an entrant in the two man spacious bivvy with poles category rather than a I R Serious Tent which is not a bad thing for the price. :D

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Return to “Bug Out Gear”