Whew... ruck marches, man...

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
jehicks87
* * *
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:40 pm
Location: Ft Campbell, KY
Contact:

Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by jehicks87 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 pm

So, went on a march with body armor, plates, helmet, and a 35-ish lb ruck this morning for PT. 5.7 miles.

Totally doable but I haven't rucked in a long time. Reminded me of the importance of getting out there and actually DOING it. And the only thing I actually had in my ruck was a boatload of MRE's (about four times the amount I would ever plan to bugout with), a spare set of boots, and an E-tool (for extra weight). I know the body armor and kevlar, plus the disparity of weight between the MOLLE ruck and the ALICE, easily equal the rest of my kit so weight isn't a big issue. But man, I would hate to have to bugout all the way back home tomorrow, next week, or even a month from now.

The number one bugout gear we have is the body we take for granted, as well as our knowledge. Just wanted to say, hey guys... get out there once in a while. Take a few hours and just walk with a load. 6, 10, 12 miles. It doesn't matter, just do it!

I still came in 5th... but I got beat by two door gunners, a pilot, and an LT. Wtf. :roll: :lol:
Last edited by jehicks87 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

User avatar
drifts14x
* *
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: N/A- I read Zombie Books
Location: Florida

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by drifts14x » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:38 pm

According to the Army guide on load carriage, the only way to train for moving under load is to do it.

That said, I sympathize. I've done the 50lb (no armor), 5-mile humps and it's not like it ever gets more fun.
"Look Alive, Sunshine"

Guns may be useful in a Zombie Apocalypse, but nothing is a match for:

Attack Chihuahuas- God help you if I loose the attack chihuahuas...

User avatar
ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 14171
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Yer gettin' old Jehicks. :P
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

User avatar
Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC
Location: Ohio

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:52 pm

jehicks87 wrote:So, went on a march...I got beat by two door gunners, a pilot, and an LT. Wtf. :roll: :lol:
Hahaha...how in the world did you let the officers beat you :gonk:

...last time I did a 10 mile hump we had plenty of rest breaks due to the FM's falling out.

I am finishing up on my hellcat, can't wait to fill it up and drag it up and down the road here soon.
Image

User avatar
jehicks87
* * *
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:40 pm
Location: Ft Campbell, KY
Contact:

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by jehicks87 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:53 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Yer gettin' old Jehicks.
I'd say more spoiled than old ;)
Tobias05 wrote:
jehicks87 wrote:So, went on a march...I got beat by two door gunners, a pilot, and an LT. Wtf. :roll: :lol:
Hahaha...how in the world did you let the officers beat you :gonk:
I teased him at the end of it... "Well, good job, sir. But really, it's no surprise... you did go to school for four years for this." :mrgreen:
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

bufordtjustice
* *
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by bufordtjustice » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:22 am

I think you hit on something pretty important here. I left the 82nd back in 1996 but my mind still seems to think I can road march at the same pace and same distances with all the same weight I could carry back them. My frame of reference is stuck at a time when I was in peak physical condition and could walk all day and fight all night. I just turned 40 and wonder what would happen if I attempted to do a 12-15 road march with the Bug out Bag I have convinced myself I need. I still PT and am in okay shape, just sayin' I am not as young anymore. My "road marches" have all been reduced to light hiking trips where you stroll at a leisurely pace and only go a few miles. I think I need to do a long march to reset the balance of what I think I can do vs. what I can actually do. I am betting my BOB will drop a few items after that.

Just like you get your car inspected every year, maybe I need to do a long road march annually so I know what my baseline is. lol.

User avatar
jehicks87
* * *
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:40 pm
Location: Ft Campbell, KY
Contact:

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by jehicks87 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:29 pm

bufordtjustice wrote:I think you hit on something pretty important here. I left the 82nd back in 1996 but my mind still seems to think I can road march at the same pace and same distances with all the same weight I could carry back them. My frame of reference is stuck at a time when I was in peak physical condition and could walk all day and fight all night. I just turned 40 and wonder what would happen if I attempted to do a 12-15 road march with the Bug out Bag I have convinced myself I need. I still PT and am in okay shape, just sayin' I am not as young anymore. My "road marches" have all been reduced to light hiking trips where you stroll at a leisurely pace and only go a few miles. I think I need to do a long march to reset the balance of what I think I can do vs. what I can actually do. I am betting my BOB will drop a few items after that.

Just like you get your car inspected every year, maybe I need to do a long road march annually so I know what my baseline is. lol.
That was what struck me most about the march, and why I felt I should post it here. Again, I think it's very important to get out there and DO IT.

And a small update... I could hardly get out of bed this morning lol. If you have plates and you are thinking about bugging out with a plate on your back, followed by a rucksack... don't. If you have to run at all that ruck is going to beat the curved edged of your plate into your kidneys and waking up the next day is going to make you want to call the hospital.
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

User avatar
Alpha-17
* * *
Posts: 487
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:06 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Afterlife
28 Weeks Later
Location: Fort Riley, KS

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by Alpha-17 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:45 pm

bufordtjustice wrote: Just like you get your car inspected every year, maybe I need to do a long road march annually so I know what my baseline is. lol.
That's a really good idea, even if it's not been that long. When my unit did EIB in late '10, I made the 12 mile/3hr mark without dying. An Iraq deployment later, and my rucking ability was down the drain.

BTW, who were you with in the Eighty-Duece? I'm with 2BDE myself.
jehicks87 wrote: And a small update... I could hardly get out of bed this morning lol. If you have plates and you are thinking about bugging out with a plate on your back, followed by a rucksack... don't. If you have to run at all that ruck is going to beat the curved edged of your plate into your kidneys and waking up the next day is going to make you want to call the hospital.
I feel your pain. Always hated rucking with armor. There are situations where its necessary, but it's certainly one of those items that I'll have to think about leaving/trading if I'm Bugging out over long distances.
THE LATEST AND GREATEST IN TACTICAL GEAR WON'T SAVE YOUR LIFE...... BUT, HEY, WHAT'S WRONG WITH SURVIVING IN STYLE?

7.62 NATO/.308 Fanboy

Image

User avatar
Frosty709
* *
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:58 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: most of them
Location: Canada

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by Frosty709 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Starting next week I'll be getting into the ruck marching again. I never served, but I did work myself up to join, lots of PT an stuff. Wasn't fit due to an unforeseen medical problem, so I kind of just stopped the whole near military grade training.

Long story short, physically I turned into a blob, and now I'm going to start to fix it and get back to what I was. And doing some PT with a pack/ruck is going to be a part of that.
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: Sorry.

Look at it this way. At least you aren't a zombie.

Or Pimpslick. :lol:
Follow me on twitter?

younggun85
*
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:47 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by younggun85 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:34 am

I was rather surprised given my distinct lack of fitness that I was able to do 5 km in a little over an hour on reasonably level terrain with my ruck loaded to around 50 lbs. The end result was some muscle soreness but I was still able to go up 9 stories worth of stairs before I set the pack down. I guess youth and my recent weight loss does have it's benefits.

beast1210
* *
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by beast1210 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Havent done any ruck march since the winter mock bug out, but just finished the "walk test" for wild land fire. You have 45 minutes to walk 3 miles with 45 pounds. Did it in 38 minutes, first across the line. Walking definitely uses different muscles than hiking. Any running /skipping is DQ. Something you guys can try pretty easily.
The Adventure starts here.......
http://www.youtube.com/user/beast12101

User avatar
Kutter_0311
* * * * *
Posts: 6135
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:44 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...
Location: Frozen Tundra, WI

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Humping sucks, but humping poorly rigged gear is even worse. Any time you can set your gear up to maker it easier on your body, you should, and that goes for armor/ruck interface, as well. That said, humping still sucks, and the only way to get better is to do it. Just try to do it in a way that doesn't fuck up your body. It can be murder on your spine and knees...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

ElevenBravo
* *
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by ElevenBravo » Sun May 06, 2012 1:10 pm

Ive been out for quite a while now, and I still hump the ruck... its a good workout.

Only, when I go on a hump, I can sit down when I want, and as long as I want. Na Na Na Boo Boo. :lol:
"Smart people have something to say, idiots have to say something"
My Youtube Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/dieselwarriordotcom

User avatar
chills1994
* * * * *
Posts: 1657
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:25 am
Location: metro east of St. Louis

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by chills1994 » Sun May 06, 2012 1:35 pm

I did air assault back in 93.

Iirc, it was 12 or 13 miles ruck march and the time limit was 3 hours.

we had a guard lt. with us who must have been like 6'5" or more and about 175 lbs.

He finished first at something like right at 2 hours.

According to my watch, i finished up at 2 hours and 48 minutes.

Mentally, i got bored more than anything. If we had iPods back then, that would have been sweet.

I had bought two gatorades the night before and they fit perfectly in my mag pouches in the front. WOW! Drinking those about halfway through made all the difference, at least mentally they peped me up.
_______________________________________

Guns are icky!

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by ODA 226 » Sun May 06, 2012 3:33 pm

jehicks87 wrote:So, went on a march with body armor, plates, helmet, and a 35-ish lb ruck this morning for PT. 5.7 miles.

Totally doable but I haven't rucked in a long time. Reminded me of the importance of getting out there and actually DOING it. And the only thing I actually had in my ruck was a boatload of MRE's (about four times the amount I would ever plan to bugout with), a spare set of boots, and an E-tool (for extra weight). I know the body armor and kevlar, plus the disparity of weight between the MOLLE ruck and the ALICE, easily equal the rest of my kit so weight isn't a big issue. But man, I would hate to have to bugout all the way back home tomorrow, next week, or even a month from now.

The number one bugout gear we have is the body we take for granted, as well as our knowledge. Just wanted to say, hey guys... get out there once in a while. Take a few hours and just walk with a load. 6, 10, 12 miles. It doesn't matter, just do it!

I still came in 5th... but I got beat by two door gunners, a pilot, and an LT. Wtf. :roll: :lol:
Don't sweat this brother. When I was in the 10th Group, we rucked 5 miles, five days a week with 60 pounds...after regular PT and combatives.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

User avatar
jehicks87
* * *
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:40 pm
Location: Ft Campbell, KY
Contact:

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by jehicks87 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:43 pm

ODA 226 wrote:Don't sweat this brother. When I was in the 10th Group, we rucked 5 miles, five days a week with 60 pounds...after regular PT and combatives.
:lol: Did I forget to mention I love Aviation? Hmmm...

Although a few weeks ago we did an AMR for some 5th group guys. They were really cool! And haven't you and I talked about the SF before? My dad was with 1st group way back when, and 12th Reserve Group in the late 80's/early 90's. Much appreciation for what you've done!
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

theotherryan
* *
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Old school Romero.
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by theotherryan » Fri May 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Yeah, having a bag isn't very helpful if you cannot carry the darn thing.
Take care of eachother

http://tslrf.blogspot.de/

User avatar
ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 14171
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri May 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Eye-Opener this last weekend... went on a short hike into a new area. Mostly flat and wet. Trail had 3 spots like this:

Image

that needed negotiating. Boy, doign those with a 40 pound ruck on your back can really work the muscles. Walking upright is one thing but crawling and duck-walking and squating through fallen trees with a load on your back? PITA! :gonk:
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

User avatar
Kutter_0311
* * * * *
Posts: 6135
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:44 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...
Location: Frozen Tundra, WI

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Sounds like the makings of a great paleo workout!
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

User avatar
oldsoldier
* * * * *
Posts: 1033
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:36 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Whew... ruck marches, man...

Post by oldsoldier » Fri May 11, 2012 8:37 pm

My days of humping under an Alice pack are long last me. My last road march was a 10 miler forced march in 04. Now, I simply walk, with comfortable gear. My knees took a beating being a grunt for 15 years. Now, I baby them, by going light. I have recently started going back to the gym, like in the past 2 months, and I have considered rucking up, and hitting the treadmill. My large pack is a brit Bergen, which can hold more than I am willing to carry....
One thing we used to use as weight was gallon jugs filled with water. This way, if something happened, you could dump the water out. That, and you didn't have to dig through your wall locker to fill it up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”