Where to buy 100% wool blanket?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

chrisw

Post by chrisw » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:49 am

Simple question to anyone who can help. I have googled and can't really seem to find one on the cheap. I am looking to buy a couple 100% wool blankets for relatively short money and can't seem to find a good reliable place. Any suggestions from those out there that know of a place would be much appreciated. Thanks!

BCGarrick

Post by BCGarrick » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:03 am

I've gotten a few from my local army surplus. Not expensive either under $10 bucks. ;)

Kommander

Re: Where to buy 100% wool blanket?

Post by Kommander » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:13 am

Sportsmans Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt often have milsurp wool blankets for sale.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:21 am

Also, look at the weight of the blanket. A 100% wool US Army blanket should weigh about 5-1/2 pounds. The 70% wool ones come in around 3-1/2 pounds, and are not as warm. This info has kept me from jumping on a couple of "deals" for "wool" blankets that would have been 70/30, not 100%. It's not really a deal if it's not what I wanted, now is it?
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

chrisw

Post by chrisw » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:14 pm

As said above, part of the problem is finding a REAL 100 percent wool blanket and not a 70/30. I know that many of the surplus blankets are not 100 percent wool.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Sportsman's guide does not have any right now - I am checking monthly for deals there. The last time they had 100% wool blankets was some Swiss ones I picked up last summer. This is all they got now: http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/bro ... =136&d=122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There may be a glut right now so keep looking. Seems to be a 100% wool blanket craze going on. Seriously... used to be able to find the Italian and Swedish ones for $15 all over the place and that is getting harder and more expensive now. The "king" of these are the elusive Italian surplus blankets. Good luck.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:31 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Sportsman's guide does not have any right now - I am checking monthly for deals there. The last time they had 100% wool blankets was some Swiss ones I picked up last summer. This is all they got now: http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/bro ... =136&d=122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There may be a glut right now so keep looking. Seems to be a 100% wool blanket craze going on. Seriously... used to be able to find the Italian and Swedish ones for $15 all over the place and that is getting harder and more expensive now. The "king" of these are the elusive Italian surplus blankets. Good luck.
Our local surplus store had these - in bales! Got the good deal at 5 for 100 USD - they cleaned up nicely.

For the OP, forget getting a 'good' blanket for 10 bucs . May I suggest you check thrift stores? Even at that, these stores have become 'trendy' - I find few good deals these days.

Good luck.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:45 pm

I discovered, almost the hard way, that Rothco has knocked off the elusive Italian blanket. I found one at my local surplus store and squeed and then I was jsut curious how it looked so new and was being sold for $29.97?? I got home and looked it up and found Rothco is now selling replicas in a 90/10 mix and I would not trust those numbers as the label on there paracord says "7 strand" and counting the stands on the paracord I only can go up to 4 as that was all that I could find in the paracord :roll: Take that for what you may but I take it as "untrustworthy"

Found a Czech blanket on Amazon for about $30, 100% wool:
http://www.amazon.com/STURM-EUROPEAN-MI ... m_sbs_hg_7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
President ZSC011

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:47 pm

TacAir wrote:
Our local surplus store had these - in bales! Got the good deal at 5 for 100 USD - they cleaned up nicely.

For the OP, forget getting a 'good' blanket for 10 bucs . May I suggest you check thrift stores? Even at that, these stores have become 'trendy' - I find few good deals these days.

Good luck.
TacAir brings up a good point--you might try searching stores in his neck of the woods.

If I remember right, the company that makes USGI wool blankets is in Pennsylvania. The blankets made of 100% wool are shipped--or used to be--to units in Alaska. The 70/30 blankets go to the rest military.

You also could have better luck focusing your search on civilian blankets. Might be pricey but worth it on cold nights.

chrisclark1968

Post by chrisclark1968 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Hello there,
Another source for 100% wool blankets are the merchants who cater to the living history/reenactor market. However, others have already pointed out, 100% is not as inexpensive as it once was, alas. One of the best(I have 2 of them, my "goto" being @20 yrs old now), and the "Whitney/Hudson's Bay" point blankets. The best ones are made in the U.K., but they are not cheap! So, to conclude, the best 100% wool blankets are not cheap, kinda heavy, wear like iron, and are durable, and in a pinch, could double as a shroud. Search using terms like "sutlers", "living history supplies", "reenactor gear/equipment", hope this helps.......
Good Hunting!

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:12 pm

The only REAL 100% wool blanket that I love and trust is the Swedish Officers Blanket

I have two of them. Not cheap but so worth it!

You may find them on eBay once in awhile for $50 - $100.

tookieblueeyes
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL OF THEM

Post by tookieblueeyes » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Check it out http://www.canteenshop.com/index.html
Look under SHELTERS
You will find %100 wool blankets here for a fair price.
Learning is an ongoing process.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:01 pm

tookieblueeyes wrote:Check it out http://www.canteenshop.com/index.html
Look under SHELTERS
No 100% wool there either:
OD Green 90/10% Wool Blend Blanket
An Excellent Buy - This wool Blanket Packs down smaller than the U.S. but it has the density you need to stay warm even in extreme temperatures. 4.5 lbs. 62"x80" This blanket is a lot like the old school Italian and European style wool blankets, but it has the benefit of being new and not surplus.

GREY 70% VIRGIN WOOL BLANKET
An Excellent Buy - This wool Blanket Packs down small compared to our others, but has the density you need to stay warm. 62"x82"
U.S. Military Wool Blanket
70% Wool GSA approved U.S. Military Wool Blanket. 62"x 82", naturally Fire Retardant. Lighter to Carry, exceptional Warmth, many uses. A must for any Kit!
President ZSC011

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Czech "100% wool blanket"
http://go-armynavy.com/index.php/wool-b ... anket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

different vemdor, same claim, different color.
http://store.colemans.com/cart/czech-mi ... rrency=USD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

USGI "100% wool"
http://go-armynavy.com/index.php/wool-b ... anket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At 50 bucs may really be mostly wool.

This is worth reading
http://www.nativesurvival.com/shop/arti ... aid%3D6%26" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
just for the product description. Ya, rare 100% wool.

"Use as a Tarp, "A" Frame Tent, Lean-To Shelter, Hammock, Rucksack Roll, Quiver, Cloak, Ground Cloth, Bed Roll, Water Collector, Shelter Door, Hunting/Stalking Camo Wrap.." I guess it would be the rare blanket that survived all of that!

German 100% wool 29 bucs
http://www.pinecreekoutdoors.com/german ... an100.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As noted elsewhere, the 100% wool blankets have become popular.
Just links I've found, you are on your own.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 am

Good search-fu on that one Tac-Air.
President ZSC011

tookieblueeyes

Post by tookieblueeyes » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:24 am

ninja-elbow wrote:
tookieblueeyes wrote:Check it out http://www.canteenshop.com/index.html
Look under SHELTERS
No 100% wool there either:
OD Green 90/10% Wool Blend Blanket
An Excellent Buy - This wool Blanket Packs down smaller than the U.S. but it has the density you need to stay warm even in extreme temperatures. 4.5 lbs. 62"x80" This blanket is a lot like the old school Italian and European style wool blankets, but it has the benefit of being new and not surplus.

GREY 70% VIRGIN WOOL BLANKET
An Excellent Buy - This wool Blanket Packs down small compared to our others, but has the density you need to stay warm. 62"x82"
U.S. Military Wool Blanket
70% Wool GSA approved U.S. Military Wool Blanket. 62"x 82", naturally Fire Retardant. Lighter to Carry, exceptional Warmth, many uses. A must for any Kit!
WOW! They used to carry a %100 wool military blanket supposedly out of german army stock grade that I purchased one some 2 years ago. How disappointing that is :gonk:

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:28 am

I remember those. Aas recent as a year ago. Not anymore. 100% surplus is hard to find now - getting like them Swedish stoves. The thing with surplus is that it is surplus and something that is finite. The more popular the item, the faster it goes. I kept putting off getting an Italian wool blanket (under $20) and now it is too late.

I might go for that German one Tac-Air posted, though I am happy with my 2 Swiss blankets.
President ZSC011

tookieblueeyes

Post by tookieblueeyes » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:36 am

ninja-elbow wrote:I remember those. Aas recent as a year ago. Not anymore. 100% surplus is hard to find now - getting like them Swedish stoves. The thing with surplus is that it is surplus and something that is finite. The more popular the item, the faster it goes. I kept putting off getting an Italian wool blanket (under $20) and now it is too late.

I might go for that German one Tac-Air posted, though I am happy with my 2 Swiss blankets.
You are right, it is hard to find 100% surplus anymore even in an army surplus store. The one I visit frequently is tending to stock more and more newer items that aren't even army surplus. Some of the packs and sleeping bags are still army surplus but the majority of their stock seems to be leaning towards mass produced garments and garb you can get off of even the SPortsmans Catalog LOL.
Tac-Air did come up with some good one's though. He put a lot of effort into his searches! For Sure!
Well, Don't let it be like the Italian woll blanket you put off buying until it was too late, if you want a German one, best buy it now :wink:

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Looks like we need another cold war to refill our stocks of surplus military gear.
Why must all the hoops be on fire?

tookieblueeyes

Post by tookieblueeyes » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:55 pm

I don't know about another "cold war", but if North Korea keeps dickin' around and throwing out threats at South Korea we may find ourselves in another Korean War that may restock the surplus bins at surplus stores :?

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:01 pm

tookieblueeyes wrote:I don't know about another "cold war", but if North Korea keeps dickin' around and throwing out threats at South Korea we may find ourselves in another Korean War that may restock the surplus bins at surplus stores :?
Let's hope not.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:22 pm

Another suggestion, and something I used to see in the SCA all the time for wool blankets and cloaks - look for thick felt remnants ans such and sew them together. Not a great answer as you need:

1) A place that sells wool felt remnants.
2) Skill to sew them together to make them a blanky.

I have my old Varangian cloak that I take with me as a wool blanket at winter camping events.
President ZSC011

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:28 pm

I once bought an amazing woolen cloak at a medieval market back when I lived in England. It's so warm that I slept several nights in it (in a poorly heated house during October) when I had no sheets or quilts.

It's sitting next to me, in my designated BOV gear spot. It's too heavy and big to take for regular use in my pack, but as a blanket for the car it's great. I'd even consider wearing it in the winter, if only I wasn't afraid that I would scare away all the villagers :P

Great stuff for a PAW though!
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

wanderingwaldo

Post by wanderingwaldo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:40 am

I'm kinda dragging up an old post but here is another source for wool:

http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/blankets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heavy 100% wool horse blankets $25 for 5lb. Too thick for so cal and scratchier than the other blankets, but extremely warm. You really have to wash out all the horse though.
Mere placation of the ordinary prevents one from becoming extra-ordinary.

The world is an onion made of spiderwebs.

"I'll miss the sea, but a person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken."
-Duke Leto Atredies

Return to “Bug Out Gear”