Useless BOB Items

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Useless BOB Items

Post by greenbeetle » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:35 pm

What things commonly found in a BOB should actually be left out?

Lets assume a BOB in this case is a 3-4 day pack intended to get you from point A to point B with enough supplies for you to survive for 3-4 days. As it pertains to this post, a BOB is NOT a 2 week wilderness survival kit.

My contribution:

Sutures
Last edited by greenbeetle on Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AnonEmous

Re: Useless BOB Items

Post by AnonEmous » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Laundry Detergent (don't think I have ever seen anyone recommend this, though, but that was not the question)
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

hkusp1

Useless BOB Items

Post by hkusp1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:48 pm

26 of the 30 knives a lot of people have in their bags. Basic blades should include a machete, a multitool, a folder, and a fixed blade and that's pushing it.

raxar

Post by raxar » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:54 pm

hkusp1 wrote:26 of the 30 knives a lot of people have in their bags. Basic blades should include a machete, a multitool, a folder, and a fixed blade and that's pushing it.
this, a stout folder and a multi-tool would probably be sufficient, and that's just because I've never seen a multi-tool with a really good blade.
...although my tactical get up is a tarzan loin cloth and giant lolly pop
Cobray's website wrote:Remember The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.
Cobray firearms, your #1 source for irony.

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:01 pm

USELESS
Kerlix - 6-Ply, 4.5" x 4.1 Yd
Bulky and takes up TOO much space!

Instead use H&H Compressed Gauze, same thing just vacuum packed for space saving in you BOB/FAK/GHB/etc.

FULL OF WIN!
H&H Compressed Gauze - 6-Ply, 4.5" x 4.1 Yd

hkusp1

Useless BOB Items

Post by hkusp1 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Multiple flashlights that take different types of batteries.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:21 pm

LOL

The twenty full magazines of ammo and such?

If I may ask the OP - what drives your question? BOB contents seem to be a personal choice, after all.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by greenbeetle » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:26 pm

TacAir wrote:LOL

The twenty full magazines of ammo and such?

If I may ask the OP - what drives your question? BOB contents seem to be a personal choice, after all.

People start a BOB with good intentions but the project sometimes gets away from them and takes on a life of its own. The bag goes from a manageable weight of 25lbs to over 40 lbs and either becomes a collection of their favorite flashlights, guns and knives or a 4 week high adventure wilderness survival kit that includes things like snares and fish traps. Everyone has to prepare for their own disaster and far be it from me to criticize that but I wonder if it would do us good to look at what doesn't belong in our BOBs since we spend so much time pondering what does.

Qasim

Post by Qasim » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:41 pm

AnonEmous wrote:Laundry Detergent (don't think I have ever seen anyone recommend this, though, but that was not the question)

In many cases, for many people's plans, laundry detergent would be worthless. I actually do keep detergent in the bag. My bugout may include a rest-over-night before we get to our BOL. I intend that rest to be a in a hotel room, not in the woods, so the planning factors are different (yes, there's a plan for the woods as well). All the people in Japan who had to leave because the Fukushima reactor went belly up, I didn't see many of them in the woods (interested to hear vignettes if anyone has heard about Japanese residents bugging out in the woods.) It seems a lot of them crashed with friends, in hotels, and in shelters, while waiting for word if they could go back home. Now, the shelter is a last resort for me and my family, but I have little ones, so trekking cross country and having everyone tab their own gear is not an option for me. If I get stuck somewhere (like a hotel) for a while, I'm going to want to wash my clothes, if only to keep up morale, and if a child got sick on one of their two outfits during a multi-hour car ride, it could become a health issue. So it is part of the plan and its in the bag

So I'd say this; at the risk of stating a tautology, the useless piece of gear is the piece for which you do not have a realistic use. I'd say the equipment use case (and the bugout use case as a whole) needs to meet the criteria of suitability, feasibility, and acceptability.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:56 pm

liberty45 wrote:USELESS

Instead use H&H Compressed Gauze, same thing just vacuum packed for space saving in you BOB/FAK/GHB/etc.

FULL OF WIN!

Someone should update this in the First Aid what to buy section. I just bought this. And the second I opened the box I had this same thought "this is uselessly huge!". Guess I will have to ditch it and get the h&h stuff. Damn.

If I pop a hole in it and vacuum seal it - it will then be contaminated right?

Also, two 6" ACE bandages? Really? They take up have my FAK! Another fail IMHO.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Qasim wrote:
AnonEmous wrote:Laundry Detergent (don't think I have ever seen anyone recommend this, though, but that was not the question)
In many cases, for many people's plans, laundry detergent would be worthless. I actually do keep detergent in the bag.
Instead of laundry detergent, have you considered a multi-use soap, such as Dr. Bronner's? It did not stretch as far as I expected when I used it as a detergent, but I probably was using it incorrectly. Anyway, a small 3 oz. bottle goes a long way and can be used for just about anything you need to clean.

Mutli-use items help cut down on "useless" items.

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:25 pm

The best plans generally don't survive enemy contact. I have stuff in my bug out bag. You may consider useless, but I am just hedging my bets. If I make it to the BOL in my truck and never had to even strap on my pack, so much the better.

I don't. Have anything in my pack that I consider worthless.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Action.Jackson

Post by Action.Jackson » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:58 pm

moab wrote:

FULL OF WIN!

Someone should update this in the First Aid what to buy section. I just bought this. And the second I opened the box I had this same thought "this is uselessly huge!". Guess I will have to ditch it and get the h&h stuff. Damn.

You could probably just vacuum seal it without poking the hole. Should pop on its own right? and the inside is sterile? I honestly don't know, just a thought though.

RatDrall

Post by RatDrall » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:09 pm

TacAir wrote: The twenty full magazines of ammo and such?
This ^ I don't know what people are planning on starting when SHTF, but most disasters come and go with very few shots fired.

What a great thread. My BoB dropped about 15 lbs after I did a 2 day mock bugout and learned what I need and what I don't.

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 pm

moab wrote:

FULL OF WIN!

At least I am not the only one. I keep my 50 Kerlix ones at home for HOME ONLY first aid or in the car or truck where the trunk space is large. But for a BOB/FAK/IFAK/GHB/etc forget it. I go with the H&H.

Not sure about popping a hole in it. Should be okay but do not count my word on it.

Yeah those 6" ACE's are HUGE! :lol:

moab

Post by moab » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:34 pm

Kerlix is anti microbial though isn't it? While the H&H is just guaze. Either way I won't be carrying two of each.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:38 am

RatDrall wrote:
TacAir wrote: The twenty full magazines of ammo and such?
This ^ I don't know what people are planning on starting when SHTF, but most disasters come and go with very few shots fired.

What a great thread. My BoB dropped about 15 lbs after I did a 2 day mock bugout and learned what I need and what I don't.[/quote]

^^^ serious QFT^^^

Thought I had a lightwieght bag, single strap for city walking. City walking proved otherwise. It now carries my netwook - all by itself.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Dabster

Useless BOB Items

Post by Dabster » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:22 am

AnonEmous wrote:
Qasim wrote:
In many cases, for many people's plans, laundry detergent would be worthless. I actually do keep detergent in the bag.
Instead of laundry detergent, have you considered a multi-use soap, such as Dr. Bronner's? It did not stretch as far as I expected when I used it as a detergent, but I probably was using it incorrectly. Anyway, a small 3 oz. bottle goes a long way and can be used for just about anything you need to clean.
I don't mean to be argumentative but have you ever used this stuff this way? I tried to on a backpacking trip. Everything in the first load came out kind of oily but the second load was nice and clean... because two ladies in the laundromat were laughing at me and in sympathy insisted I use their soap.

Just sayin'.

Responding to the great thread... What I perceive as a commonly over-packed thing is food. For seventy-two hours the amount if food taken by some people amazes me. Six Power Bars snd I'm not happy but I won't die.

Dab
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:53 am

Canned goods. And the eight million rounds of ammo so many seem to want.

I'm guilty of the "snares" thinking, myself, but I also use my BOB for camping, and I'd like to learn how to use them effectively. But, like others have said, anything you go out with, and don't really use. A poncho is a good example of an exception to this, as is the FAK. The best test of your gear is to go out and use it- see what works, what doesn't, and what items never even get called in to work. Then just keep what works.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:37 am

Dabster wrote: I don't mean to be argumentative but have you ever used this stuff this way? I tried to on a backpacking trip. Everything in the first load came out kind of oily but the second load was nice and clean... because two ladies in the laundromat were laughing at me and in sympathy insisted I use their soap.
I meant it more for hand washing over a sink, so have never tried it in a washing machine. Good to know.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:55 am

Re Dr Bronner's:
Works fine in the washing machine in it's pure form. Just use less. You will not get stains out but your clothes will be technically clean. Works better if you work it into a proper laundry soap though - with borax and such.

Re Ammo:
Yeah, too much for most people not buggin out of a war zone. Most of my plans invovle my Glock and 2-3 mags... which is on me as EDC anyways. I have some carbines on standby but not "part of my BOB".

Re Food:
I am guilty of packing too much. One extra meal over planned should suffice. I always get to the end of a hiking trip and go "Damn, I sitll have 3 meals on me." I assume it is the same in my BOB. My office BOB was lightened up via life boat rations, some candy, some jerky, and a brew kit capable of 3 coffees and 3 teas.

So far, what I have found to be most useless in both my hiking and BOBs was changes of clothing. Extra layers? Yes. A pair of pants per day change? No. I have found that one pair of pants will suffice as long as I can change my skivvies and socks daily.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

TheWaker43

Post by TheWaker43 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 pm

[quote="ninja-elbow"]Re Dr Bronner's:
Works fine in the washing machine in it's pure form. Just use less. You will not get stains out but your clothes will be technically clean. Works better if you work it into a proper laundry soap though - with borax and such.

I agree. Dr. Bronner's works perfect as laundry soap, just use smaller amounts. It's fine as hair, face, and body wash. Just do not use it for toothpaste. I could not taste anything for two days.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:56 pm

Does this stuff last a long time? like in an INCH? stuff reminds me ofthe little hotl soaps in mexico. they last forever.

Cu Chulainn

Post by Cu Chulainn » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:01 pm

What does your bugout entail? This will help decide what is really needed.

Things I see people go way overboard on for a Bug-Out Bag:

1.) Guns and ammo. Carry your EDC, and maybe a few spare mags in the bag. Rifles, shotguns and hundreds of rounds? Sure if you are headed to the cabin in the woods and have to defend against looters. But that's an INCH plan, or a Bug-IN plan.

2.) First aid. Seriously? How much Kerlix do you use in a year. You aren't carrying all the med supplies for the rest of your life. Any prescription meds you need, basic pain relief, stuff to make you poop/stop pooping, basic triple antibiotic, small bit of soap, tick tweezers, few bandages, and maybe enough gauge/Kerlix (or the PriMed)/surgical tape to cover a large laceration. Moleskin, SAM splint and an Ace bandage if you are going to be walking over harsh terrain.

3.) Food. 3-4 days, even a week. Bring lifeboat rations 2400 Cal/day. You won't die or seriously suffer from lack of vitamins or other malnutrition in a few days to a week. They require no prep. If you are worried about nutrition, bring a bottle of multivitamins with you. If you succumb to "diet fatigue" in a few days, you don't need to eat bad enough.

4.) Tools. It may be cool, or may be real nice to have if you really need it, but crow bars, FUBARs, etc? someone else said it: a good folder and a multitool with do just about anything you need. One flashlight.

Stuff I see ignored:
1.) Clothes. For a real bug-out, do you really think you're going to wear combat uniforms all the time? Again, bug-out, not INCH, not end-of-the-world. Have two sets of durable work/casual wear clothes (one set you wear), and one set of decent clothes. Not a suit, but a decent pull over or polo shirt and semi-casual pants. Why? Because people are much easier to deal with when you look like an upper middle-class person and not a refugee or bum.

3.) Hygiene. On that note, you also need to consider hygiene. Not just soap to wash with, but keep some deodorant and a grooming kit. Facial hair is one thing, a "bum beard" is another, People react very differently to each.

4.) Spare glasses. If you wear spectacles, get a second pair and a hard case. Get sunglasses, prescription or not. Sun can be real hard on the retinas.

5.) ID packet. In the political climate we live in (sorry can't ignore this), you need to have ID. Driver's license, or State ID, SS card, maybe even a certified copy of your birth certificate and passport (if you have one), copy of your concealed carry permit if you have one, perhaps even a second credit card. Not ID, but you may want to have a paper with important names, numbers and addresses in it.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”