Best all around adhesive/epoxy for BOB/INCH?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Best all around adhesive/epoxy for BOB/INCH?

Post by moab » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:48 am

I've researched 3M adhesives to the point that my brain is mush. Anybody use this stuff professionally? And know which one would be the best? So many mixtures. I assume for fabric and plastic. And then JB Weld for metal.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

USMCSergeant

Re: Best all around adhesive/epoxy for BOB/INCH?

Post by USMCSergeant » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:57 am

Is this a rip in fabric? Or...?

I've accidently cut a hole in a maxpedition pack and I sealed it using superglue and sewing when dry.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:12 am

Anything really. Assuming your going to carry only one tube of adhesive. Fabric/leather in tents, clothes, boots or packs. Plastic in tents, packs, boots and tools. JB Weld is the obvious choice for metal (not that I can think of a use for it. although I've seen it in BOB's.). But I would use an adhesive in the aforementioned situations. Especially boots and pack frames.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

USMCSergeant

Post by USMCSergeant » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:19 am

Oh I see the premise of the thread now, and it's a good one. I still stand by super glue and a nice sewing kit for fabric rips.

Lynn LeFey

Post by Lynn LeFey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:50 am

I carry three of the tiny one-use tubes of super-glue. I don't know what the best adhesive is, but I've never had problems with superglue, so I've never tried other stuff. The reason I carry the little one-use tubes is that it never seems to fail that once open, and reclosed, the tube dries up or welds itself shut.

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:51 am

I have 2 or 3 options.

This: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hlc/hlc118.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IC-2000 Black Rubber Toughened CA
with this
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hlc/hlc151.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
INSTA-SET Cyanoacrylate Accelator

And then I'd also pack a tube of something else for a more permanent, flexible, water resistant, type seal. I also look at something that can be used like RTV as a rubberize gasket or for repairing gaskets.

And for me, this is easy - shoe goo or amazing goop for lawn, marine, or car repair. it will bond any material - its flexible - and you can bond nearly anything together.

awmiscool

Post by awmiscool » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:29 am

Superglue makes a new type of super glue, it's like super ultra ultimate super glue. Saw it at the dollar store, next to all the other Superglue brand glues.

whataburger
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1. 28 days later
2. Zombieland
3. The Zombie Diaries

Post by whataburger » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:55 am

Are all superglues ok for field sutures? or is there a particular one to look for?
zombie shirts here!: http://www.whatadesigns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:02 am

I like PC-7 epoxy paste as a good all-around epoxy. It works well and comes in handy little 2-parts-in-one tubes.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... Id=1409482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also like and use the PC-11 Marine epoxy and the PC-Fahrenheit high-temp epoxy.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:48 pm

I like Shoe Goo, I've used it in a lot of repairs dealing with canvas, leather, and nylon.
For "super glue" I use Zap a Gap. Used by miniature nerds (like me), modelers, and fly fisherman.
Gorilla Glue is some good stuff too. I don't own any but I've used others and it is the balls.

I have both (Shoe Goo and Zap a Gap) in my home tool kits but I backpack neither. My portable repair kits consist of duct tape, heavy sewing needles, zip ties, and wire.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:34 pm

I'll second the Shoe-Goo as an all-purpose glue. That stuff bonds almost everything; surprisingly great on fabric.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:49 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:I like Shoe Goo, I've used it in a lot of repairs dealing with canvas, leather, and nylon.
For "super glue" I use Zap a Gap. Used by miniature nerds (like me), modelers, and fly fisherman.
Gorilla Glue is some good stuff too. I don't own any but I've used others and it is the balls.

I have both (Shoe Goo and Zap a Gap) in my home tool kits but I backpack neither. My portable repair kits consist of duct tape, heavy sewing needles, zip ties, and wire.
Ya. I'm still not sure this will end up in my final load out or not. But I thought in conjunction with my sewing maul like on a separated boot sole. It would really help the thread (high test braided fishing line) to stay fastened and it would hopefully add some water protection. My backpacks frame is plastic too. I could see falling and needing to repair that. IT might even help repair Gore tex too. Maybe waterproof it on top of the sewing thread. I've worked a lot with 3M resins. And the amount of different types of resins and adhesives in each catagory is mind boggling. I posted this up on another forum. I think I know a couple guys that work with various adhesives in their jobs. Hoping to hear back from them too. I know there is some kind of bulletproof adhesive out there that is perfect for this type of situation. Whether fast acting or slow. Anyway. Researching it via 3M is an exercise in frying your brain. LOL!

unslung

Post by unslung » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Vote number 3 for shoe goo. Also i pack a small size "tear mender fabric adhesive" , and super glue.
FireMoth wrote:Just because I really like them, and desperately want them, in ways no 7 year old girl has even wanted a pony.
raptor wrote: Random SHTF events generate chaos. Chaos generates confusion. Confusion destroys plans. Options and adaptation are a good defense against confusion.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:57 pm

Another vote for shoe goo, and as regards super glue, I like the gel formulation in the loctite squeeze applicator...it's much easier to use multiple times and with more control...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Hmmmmm... how would one go about jury riggin' a plastic pack frame if busted in the field and all your support is on your back? That's a good thought exercise there.
President ZSC011

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:56 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Hmmmmm... how would one go about jury riggin' a plastic pack frame if busted in the field and all your support is on your back? That's a good thought exercise there.
Drill holes, wire and glue?

Bender711

Post by Bender711 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Goo is good stuff. My dad sealed up a leak in the transmission of his truck with it....about 30 years ago, still isn't leaking.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:17 pm

moab wrote:
ninja-elbow wrote:Hmmmmm... how would one go about jury riggin' a plastic pack frame if busted in the field and all your support is on your back? That's a good thought exercise there.
You carry a drill in the field?

I would say splint, wire, glue
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Gorilla tape, wire/paracord
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:33 pm

3m5400FC is a great sealant/adhesive. I mention this because of your research on 3M products.

I have used 3M 5200FC for a wide variety of uses and IMO it is superior to any sealant adhesive anywhere. The problem is it takes 24 hours to cure. 5200 is a better choice if speed of cure is not needed.

The other adhesives are fine and likely will coast half the price of 5400FC or 5200FC. That said if you want an adhesive/sealant to trust your life to I would go with these two 3M products.
Last edited by raptor on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:07 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
moab wrote:

I've augered out a few holes in the field with knives and SAK awls and various combinations of both. I'd start off with wood splints, wire and duct tape.
President ZSC011

moab

Post by moab » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:
BullOnParade wrote:
moab wrote:

I've augered out a few holes in the field with knives and SAK awls and various combinations of both. I'd start off with wood splints, wire and duct tape.
I should have said I'd "bore" holes in my plastic framed pack. I have a MOLLE II and the frame is made of quite wide sections. So boring holes and wiring it up would work just fine. Like with a leather punch attachment on your knife.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”