The Hammock is Dead. Long Live the Hanging Tent

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

The Hammock is Dead. Long Live the Hanging Tent

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:21 pm

http://www.gizmag.com/tentsile-tree-hanging-tent/21759/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tfa wrote:This strange looking tree shelter was created by a team of British designers, to provide portable habitation for campers while also minimizing material usage. Dubbed Tentsile, the shelter is a dangling tent that offers similar comfort to a hammock and can be used in a number of environments. The portable shelter employs tension forces to provide a suspended habitat that is protected from wildlife, including insects and snakes, while at the same time providing a secure shelter from the elements. The tent is easy to assemble and can be suspended up high in the tree tops or slightly hovering over ground level.
I'm not sure how practical this would be, and I imagine it would be kind of weird crawling around inside of it, but I'd love to take one of these to ZCon this year.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Re: The Hammock is Dead. Long Live the Hanging Tent

Post by Whiskey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:33 pm

That's Badass. I imagine it would be awkward crawling around inside... trying to see real advantages over a hammock though.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:38 pm

I'd try one out, but it looks like the worst of both worlds in one heavy and expensive package (that needs a 3rd tree in just the right place to hang well)...

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Interesting in the least. I would really like to spend a night our two in one.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Does it come with a splint and ice pack when you fall out? :)

I'm trying to see the advantage of the concept. Jungle where everything sticks or bites-OK, any other situation.......not sure.
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

proteus
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, resident evil, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead, I am legend

Post by proteus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:42 pm

I could see the advantages of a real long term use over a hammock but at the same time for a weekend camping trip or something to that nature its almost to much effort...
When in doubt fire for effect...

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:44 pm

Jamie wrote:I'd try one out, but it looks like the worst of both worlds in one heavy and expensive package (that needs a 3rd tree in just the right place to hang well)...

Jamie
Exactly what I was thinking.

I could see someone getting drunk and really fucking themselves up getting out of one. :lol:
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Lord-Reaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Diary of the Dead, Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil

Post by Lord-Reaper » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:54 pm

The site says the large one hold 12 occupants. The idea of 12 people in one tent, suspended off the ground, one argument away from family ties being meaningless...
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust." -T.S. Eliot

connecticut_yankee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by connecticut_yankee » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:59 pm

I like being off the ground, but I don't want to die if I fall out of my shelter.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Umm..dosen't look like something I'd want to roll around in with 11 other people. Unless, of course, it was the right 11 people 8-)

This is my hanging tent:
http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/hammoc ... beeter-pro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WWSD?

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Lord-Reaper wrote:The site says the large one hold 12 occupants. The idea of 12 people in one tent, suspended off the ground, one argument away from family ties being meaningless...
It'd be warmer than your average tent. With all those people in a big pile in the sagging middle of the floor.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:15 pm

Lord-Reaper wrote:The site says the large one hold 12 occupants. The idea of 12 people in one tent, suspended off the ground, one argument away from family ties being meaningless...
Oh yeah, I'd just love to be in a sack full of 11 other people when one of those ropes decides to break...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:01 pm

Jamie wrote:I'd try one out, but it looks like the worst of both worlds in one heavy and expensive package (that needs a 3rd tree in just the right place to hang well)...

Jamie
I finally saw your post on single point hammocks, back in the day, we used one called a pea pod. But then, they so long ago, we were just making the transition to jam nuts... Lost arrows anyone? Worked, but you still want ed to stay roped in.

You didn't post any outside shots of your Grand Trunk from the outside while in use. Happen to gathered any since then?
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Well, there's one thing you can say about it...

It would make "hammock sex" much easier.

8-)
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:26 pm

I think falling out might be a a bit more difficult if it has fixed walls, even then its not like you can't faceplant getting out of a regular hammock....

I kind of the like the idea because when I use my hammock I always wind up unsure where to leave my gear, I dont want to sleep with it.. but I also want it to stay dry... for once person plus all your gear this might be a good idea,

the other thought I have is maybe it would simplify the tarp hanging process, I know my tarp for my hammock is more tedious to put up that I would like.
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 pm

Interesting, very interesting. Looks too difficult though.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Jamie
I agree.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:23 pm

This looks like a great concept, and I'm fully on board with it.

That said, I'll wait until someone who knows how to make a tent tries making one.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Alright, who's bringing the ladder? :lol:
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Flying Lead
Location: Alabama-Land of low taxes, lots of guns and more meth labs than you can count!

Post by Flying Lead » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:38 pm

Regulator wrote: It'd be warmer than your average tent. With all those people in a big pile in the sagging middle of the floor.
Should be obvious what the purpose of this design is, portable Playboy Mansion. Horny coeds sold seperately. :mrgreen:
The optimist learns English, a pessimist - Chinese, realist exploring a Kalashnikov rifle.-russian survival website
1911nufsaid wrote:I'm not implying you, or anyone on the forum for that matter, is a 'end of world' nut job.
Woods Walker wrote:If their shit was any tighter the carbon within would be turned to diamonds.
Put me down for M14, XD45 and Pie

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Flying Lead wrote:Should be obvious what the purpose of this design is, portable Playboy Mansion. Horny coeds sold seperately.
YOU CAN BUY HORNY CO-EDS!?!?!

WHY HAS NOBODY TOLD ME....

bastards... :x

back OT,

I wonder how much flexibility you get in your third trees placement?

I think it would be cool to set this up in a way you have to use a rope ladder to get in or out.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:48 pm

What's the point of the "tubes" on all 3 corners? They are going to be to steep to hold a person or gear, it will just slide to the middle. Swiss Family Robinson Slip "n" Slide????
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:52 pm

pulled up some pics, looks like there is a pseudo hammock in each of the "tubes" I can see this working well for 3 people, and the center being gear central

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:56 pm

I just don't see this being practical at all. A hammock is great cause all you need is two trees- easy. Three trees the proper distance away will be much harder, and not to mention this thing looks heavy and like a total PITA to put up. Looks like an interesting DESIGN CONCEPT, but it actual use I don't see an advantage, and MANY disadvantages (fucking dangerous at that height).
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Return to “Bug Out Gear”