Writing instruments in your bug out bags

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

sar5

Writing instruments in your bug out bags

Post by sar5 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:19 pm

Hi gang, what type of writing instruments do you use in your bug out bag?

I have tried carpenter pencils, wooden pencils, mechanical pencils and still habve not found one I like. How about sharpies or space pens?

Thanks I'm also looking into those write in the rain note pads.
:D

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Writing instruments in your bug out bags

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:38 pm

sar5 wrote:Hi gang, what type of writing instruments do you use in your bug out bag?

I have tried carpenter pencils, wooden pencils, mechanical pencils and still habve not found one I like. How about sharpies or space pens?

Thanks I'm also looking into those write in the rain note pads.
:D
Sharpies, or with the rite-in-the-rain pads, the RIR pens work well too.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:34 pm

I always, always carry a Fisher Bullet Space Pen. My other favorite pen is the Lamy Safari Ballpoint, which is made of ABS plastic, so it's very tough, and the refills have a write-out that is just shy of 5 miles. I have a charcoal-colored Safari that's almost 15 years old and looks brand-new. Space Pens work on RIR paper. I don't know if Lamys do.

In addition to refills for the Space Pen and Safari, I would add a Sharpie, a paint marker, a carpenter's pencil, a lumber crayon, and a mechanical pencil to a BOB. Pencils work on RIR paper and a mechanical pencil is easier to write with than a carpenter's pencil.

I have recently fallen in love with the Papermate PhD, but I also have a Pentel GraphGear 500 and an Alvin Draf-Tec Retrac. The GraphGear has a very nice weight to it. The Alvin has a lead sleeve which retracts all the way into the barrel, so it won't poke holes in every pocket where you try to store it.

The Sharpie, paint marker, carpenter's pencil, and lumber crayon are all for leaving messages on surfaces other than paper. The carpenter's pencil could be used in situations where it doesn't matter iof the message gets erased after a while. The paint marker and lumber crayon will write on most surfaces that a Sharpie won't.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Davo

Post by Davo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Space pen, Sharpie, Rite in the Rain pad.
Image Image

rikinwyoming

Post by rikinwyoming » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:41 pm

paint markers and sharpies here...

sicsiksix

Post by sicsiksix » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 am

Fisher Military Space pen (medium point black, smudges a bit on Rite in the Rain paper)
Rite in the Rain plastic pen (fine point black, does not smudge as hard as I try, and boy did I try)
Sharpie fine point black & Sharpie Mini fine point black (mini on a lanyard key-ring)
Rite in the Rain 3"x5" Notepad

Plan on adding a white and a red paint pen.

sar5

Post by sar5 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:21 am

Guys why the paint markers? And do you mean the hobby shop ones that were popular in the 90s for tagging?

Thanks for the ideas so far! :D

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:01 am

sar5 wrote:Guys why the paint markers? And do you mean the hobby shop ones that were popular in the 90s for tagging?

Its all about versatility. People are trying to think ahead so they can mark on ANY surface.
Sharpies are great for triage, you can mark a patient with blood type, rank them by probability of survival (might be cold and morbid but you must use your resources for the best results), etc.
Paint markers simple add another option. Im assuming but I would say "yes" one of those "shaker ball" markers.

I had never thought of the lumber crayon might have to add one.

So, mental exercise time.
Its a PAW type situation. What will you need to mark on?
Paper, it might be advantageous to take notes.
Skin, during triage its easier to write on the skin instead of keeping patient connected with paper.
Rubber, (I dont know why but I thought it would be a tough surface to write on)
Glass, leaving messages on windows as you leave your home or business.
Brick, masonry, block, etc. Paint rules!
Bread Crumbs, if your leaving a trail to be followed you may need to be able to write on a surface you have not planned for, think ahead, what else can you think of?

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:38 am

Sharpies FTW!

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Towanda

Re: Re: Writing instruments in your bug out bags

Post by Towanda » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:23 am

sar5 wrote:Guys why the paint markers? And do you mean the hobby shop ones that were popular in the 90s for tagging?

The paint markers I'm talking about look like magic markers, but they contain paint and you shake them before you write with them.

Regarding Space Pens: try fine-point refills. They smudge less in general than the mediums.

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

sicsiksix

Post by sicsiksix » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:27 pm

The paint pens I'm referring to are the ones I buy at the local automotive parts stores. I keep a few in my toolbox for marking timing belts, distributors, etc. They do have a tendency to dry up after a couple years though. So a lumber crayon or tire crayon might be a better alternative.

WhatThaFrig

Post by WhatThaFrig » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:46 pm

Red and black Sharpies for me.
"The only thing necessary for the triupmph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Sheepdog-Z
Favorite Zombie Movies: Point Break. Keanu's a zombie in everything.

Post by Sheepdog-Z » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:07 pm

WhatThaFrig wrote:Red and black Sharpies for me.
+1...

I actually have red blue and black. With my family, my job might mean I won't be home with SHTF and the family might have to bug out or stage elsewhere nearby. We have an understanding that a note left in one color means one thing and a note left in the other color means another (example, theoretically you could discuss ahead of time that a red sharpie message would mean "ignore this message and check in dead drop A" or something).
400 Grains wrote:Where do people get this crap?
(I love you)

rpmoore
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by rpmoore » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Sharpies, they are also waterproof.
"They're all going to end up like that. Bio-mechanical weapons driven by meat batteries. Never have to be fed or recharged. They just keep going...going."

Skummdogg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any zombie flick will make me smile.

Post by Skummdogg » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:09 pm

I carry a zebra f-701 EDC, in my bag i have two spare cheapo pens, a black sharpie, and RIR pad.
Semper FI
Chuck

111t

Post by 111t » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:24 pm

I have a fisher space pen in my main bug out bag. They're too pricy for smaller kits. The ability to leave messages and record your thoughts is valuable. In my lesser kits i keep pencils. Golf pencils work fine. I've taken my wife's linemans' to standard ones to shorten them while still retaining an eraser. That way they won't poke things in storage. They're easy enough to sharpen up when you need them with your knife.

I think that story i heard about the US space program using expensively developed fisher space pens and the Russians using pencils is funny. (whether or not its true)

In everyday life i like to put the fisher insert into a parker jotter type pen. In the BOB it's the standard bullet configuration for compact storage.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Collie of Doom

Post by Collie of Doom » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:41 pm

111t wrote:I have a fisher space pen in my main bug out bag. They're too pricy for smaller kits. The ability to leave messages and record your thoughts is valuable. In my lesser kits i keep pencils. Golf pencils work fine. I've taken my wife's linemans' to standard ones to shorten them while still retaining an eraser. That way they won't poke things in storage. They're easy enough to sharpen up when you need them with your knife.

I think that story i heard about the US space program using expensively developed fisher space pens and the Russians using pencils is funny. (whether or not its true)

In everyday life i like to put the fisher insert into a parker jotter type pen. In the BOB it's the standard bullet configuration for compact storage.
Yeah, whatever you pack, it's probably a good idea to also throw in a few old fashioned pencils. They won't run out of ink, and they take a little while to use up. You can even split one in half and share it with someone if you want.
"You've got red on you."
- Sean of the Dead

onenineoneonemergency

Post by onenineoneonemergency » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:47 pm

I have a Fisher Trekker that is attached to my keys via split ring all the time so I generally don’t put a pen in any of my bags. I love my Fisher because it is securely attached to my key ring. A friend was nice enough to buy me a less expensive Fisher that just had a conventional clip and I lost it after a month.

I also have a black sharpie. I would like to add a few golf pencils, a red crayon (waxing stubborn zippers and you can write with it) and maybe some alcohol markers for vinyl/clear plastic map covers and such. I’m trying to work on my navigation skills now and the alcohol markers may not be a permanent addition but we’ll see.

catalyst

Post by catalyst » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:43 am

lumber crayon, charcoal pencil (the one where you pull the string to expose the charcoal), a carpenter's pencil, and an old school eraser (the harder white kind, in case i need to clean electrical contacts and whatnot)

Sgt_Stadanko
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead.

Post by Sgt_Stadanko » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:56 am

Big ass black permanent marker. Chalk. Chalk marker (not chalk like at all, kinda waxy). pencil. eraser. fine point pen. silver, yellow, red, blue, green, white, black paint sticks. 3 small notepads.

I dont plan on writing much, but I do like the idea of being able to mark "safe zones" and whatnot. Also leaving notes for friends and the public. You never know.

ZS Fleet number 0355

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:10 am

Small sharpie and the big fuckoff permenent marker with a 1" chisel tip.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

onenineoneonemergency

Post by onenineoneonemergency » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:48 pm

I'd imagine a grease pencil and kneadable eraser might come in handy as well.

Chef
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Whatever that one with Bruce Campbell in it was

Post by Chef » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Old-fashioned #2 pencils, Sharpies, china marker (grease pencil), and a few fine point alcohol markers for writing on clear plastic map covers.
Orville Wright did not have a pilot's license.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:57 pm

111t wrote: I think that story i heard about the US space program using expensively developed fisher space pens and the Russians using pencils is funny. (whether or not its true)
The story is an urban legend. Mr. Fisher developed the pressurized refill and rubberized ink on his own and then convinced NASA it was a good idea.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”