RG's GMAH bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

RG's GMAH bag

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:57 am

RG's Get My Ass Home bag.
Contents: Poly hat, energizer head lamp, 50' para cord, Coleman soap, small energy bars, water proof bag, coleman micro towel, compass, tissue, chap stick, sun screen, and a water proof bag
Yellow water proof container, sparker, lighter, tinder, small knife, pack of water proof matches.
Small multi tool, spyderco, floss, glow stick, bug spray, pencil, handwarmer, Altoids fishing kit (yet to be filled)
NF wind breaker
2 L water bottles, water purification, water flavor packs, 2 400ml tins, and a 6 LED flash light
All bundled up. 7 lbs. A little more tweeking to do but all in all, I could get home with this from work. Kelty Jaunt bag, $12.50 at some discount store.
Mini shovel will go with this kit.
Being worn.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: RG's GMAH bag

Post by the_alias » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:22 am

Small knife - looks like a Push Dagger to me!

Is your receipt your tinder? You could do better than that...
Man is a beast of prey

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:27 am

the_alias wrote:Small knife - looks like a Push Dagger to me!

Is your receipt your tinder? You could do better than that...
It is a push dagger however, it's not a weapon, at least not to me. I use it trim sticks or whatnot to get tinder. Make small stuff more flammable.

Yes, that is a reciept as tinder. It's lame, I know. I've shredded a reciept before and used it as the intial part of a tinder pile. I'm working on another Altoids that is going to be just for tinder. It wasn't pictured but I do have some vasealine soaked cotton balls in there. I put it in after the pics.

ETA: Thanks Alias, you gave me a good idea. I'm going to wrap that handle with some para cord so it will be like a para cord ball that has a little utility blade on it. Thanks for forcing me to re-assess that. I wasn't really comfortable with it but it's a nice small blade that is very handy.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:05 am

You're fucked because your pack is not a Kifaru
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:27 am

What? No guns?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:44 am

Murph wrote:What? No guns?
Basic observation skillz, uFail. Sorry to disappoint your preception of me but this is a bag to get me home. Full stop. I gather you don't like guns, if you have something to add, please do, otherwise please don't make my thread into a pissing match, thanks.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:03 pm

I have the same Kelty Juant. For the most part I prefer using the shoulder strap over the belt, not that the belt is bad. It cost me around 10 bucks at one of those close out stores and is a great deal. Unless it was missed maybe toss in a Mylar or AMK SOL blanket. Maybe reconsider that Mini shovel.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Woods Walker wrote:I have the same Kelty Juant. For the most part I prefer using the shoulder strap over the belt, not that the belt is bad. It cost me around 10 bucks at one of those close out stores and is a great deal. Unless it was missed maybe toss in a Mylar or AMK SOL blanket. Maybe reconsider that Mini shovel.
It has a cheap Ozark trail SOL blanket, it's still in the little box. Why reconsider the mini shovel? I was thinking of a cat hole or digging a water hole next to a river or stream.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:22 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
Woods Walker wrote:I have the same Kelty Juant. For the most part I prefer using the shoulder strap over the belt, not that the belt is bad. It cost me around 10 bucks at one of those close out stores and is a great deal. Unless it was missed maybe toss in a Mylar or AMK SOL blanket. Maybe reconsider that Mini shovel.
It has a cheap Ozark trail SOL blanket, it's still in the little box. Why reconsider the mini shovel? I was thinking of a cat hole or digging a water hole next to a river or stream.
Ha! I had to dash to the tree-line while shooting yesterday due to digestive distress. Trowel would have been nice, at least I had some napkins handy. Damn cheap beer and ACC championship.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:41 pm

Regular Guy wrote:
When a pack has limited space sometimes its best to target needs that might occur. Digging a water hole isn't a common need for many people going home unless the riverbeds are often dry. You could use a digging stick or other makeshift method. You don't need two metal cups for a Get Me Home Bag and the more UL any system is the greater the chance it will be fielded. If that is an older Energizer headlamp it has a bad habit of turning on inside a pack and is far from water resistant. On the flip side they run for a long time using direct drive and once dried out will work again. If not ignore everything I just said. :) I didn’t notice but are there extra (guessing AAA) batteries in your kit. I do see the 6.... 5mm LED light but sometimes cheaper LED lights have high failure rate, other times they work great, go figure? Any FAK? I have used Band-Aids and triple antibacterial cream from my smaller kits. Small stuff that actually gets used every day. Believe or not Imodium AD can be a good thing to pack as well. I own a hand warmer but thin fleece gloves are worth so much more in a small bag. The light sticks have a high failure rate because they can get activated inside the wrapper and someone will never know.. With LED technology these are mostly outdated.

I would toss in a Frontier drinking filter straw, as this would make water reasonably potable instantly but keep the tabs. Oh shit there is that Mylar blank. :oops: Do you have a UL poncho?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Woods Walker wrote: When a pack has limited space sometimes its best to target needs that might occur. Digging a water hole isn't a common need for many people going home unless the riverbeds are often dry. You could use a digging stick or other makeshift method. You don't need two metal cups for a Get Me Home Bag and the more UL any system is the greater the chance it will be fielded. If that is an older Energizer headlamp it has a bad habit of turning on inside a pack and is far from water resistant. On the flip side they run for a long time using direct drive and once dried out will work again. If not ignore everything I just said. :) I didn’t notice but are there extra (guessing AAA) batteries in your kit. I do see the 6.... 5mm LED light but sometimes cheaper LED lights have high failure rate, other times they work great, go figure? Any FAK? I have used Band-Aids and triple antibacterial cream from my smaller kits. Small stuff that actually gets used every day. Believe or not Imodium AD can be a good thing to pack as well. I own a hand warmer but thin fleece gloves are worth so much more in a small bag. The light sticks have a high failure rate because they can get activated inside the wrapper and someone will never know.. With LED technology these are mostly outdated.

I would toss in a Frontier drinking filter straw, as this would make water reasonably potable instantly but keep the tabs. Oh shit there is that Mylar blank. :oops: Do you have a UL poncho?
Okay, I see what you mean by not needing the shovel. Well, I had the extra cup for friends/family. It's new energizer and I keep it in a little sack, I'll test it vs. water soon. No, I don't have any 3As, I'll put some in today. Yes, I put the little flash light in there because it's been working well for 2-3 years. I trust it.
I'll add a small FAK, ImodiumAD and anti boitic. I'll toss the light stick and pick up a UL poncho, fleece gloves and frontier straw. Recommendation on poncho?

And thanks very much for the input.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

RG's GMAH bag

Post by the_alias » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:23 pm

I just can't wrap my head around using that PD as a utility knife (partly because they are seen as illegal in a lot of places). An izula would fill the role much better I think.

Sorry to harp on a bit just is sorta bugging me :p

Cool on the cotton balls - would a shaved down candle also fit ? That would really be a nice addition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man is a beast of prey

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:51 pm

the_alias wrote:I just can't wrap my head around using that PD as a utility knife (partly because they are seen as illegal in a lot of places). An izula would fill the role much better I think.

Sorry to harp on a bit just is sorta bugging me :p

Cool on the cotton balls - would a shaved down candle also fit ? That would really be a nice addition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While the Izula would be a better knife, this one was free and $42 dollars cheaper. :lol:

To tell you the truth, it bothers me too. This isn't a war bag so it's not going to nor is it intended to be a full of weapons, I'll probably swap it for a Swiss Army knife. It just happened to fit in the little water proof case.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Regular Guy wrote: Okay, I see what you mean by not needing the shovel. Well, I had the extra cup for friends/family. It's new energizer and I keep it in a little sack, I'll test it vs. water soon. No, I don't have any 3As, I'll put some in today. Yes, I put the little flash light in there because it's been working well for 2-3 years. I trust it.
I'll add a small FAK, ImodiumAD and anti boitic. I'll toss the light stick and pick up a UL poncho, fleece gloves and frontier straw. Recommendation on poncho?

You're welcome.

Many of the less expensive headlamps run without regulation aka direct drive so there just isn’t much in the way of electronics to mess up if they flood. Once dry they work again but often its game over in the short term. For the poncho your budget and pack space will determine that. They run between 2 and 150 dollars. How much space is there and what’s your budget?

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
Regular Guy wrote: Okay, I see what you mean by not needing the shovel. Well, I had the extra cup for friends/family. It's new energizer and I keep it in a little sack, I'll test it vs. water soon. No, I don't have any 3As, I'll put some in today. Yes, I put the little flash light in there because it's been working well for 2-3 years. I trust it.

You're welcome.

Many of the less expensive headlamps run without regulation aka direct drive so there just isn’t much in the way of electronics to mess up if they flood. Once dry they work again but often its game over in the short term. For the poncho your budget and pack space will determine that. They run between 2 and 150 dollars. How much space is there and what’s your budget?
Well, with the poncho I'd probably drape it over the top and strap it down. I'm used to military ponchos. I guess my budget would be $25-50. Please be advised I have an Italian Firefighter jacket that is water proof and has a quilted inner jacket that goes with this kit. However, nothing beats a poncho for an over head cover/improvised tent.

@Alias: I've removed the push dagger and replaced it with a Swiss Army knife. Good call, I feel much more comfortable with it and I've increased the utility of the bag. I've also added 10' for a accountants paper roll and a cut up cut up piece of card board. It's in 2"x6" sections and I have 8 of them that fit nicely in the bottom of the bag for fire tinder.

Next thread I make will be on my 48hr bag.

Biggin

Post by Biggin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks for the butt shot there at the end ;) .

I like the bag. I'd want to add more things to it, but you did a good job of keeping it light and small. I am impress. As far as tender goes, I really like dryer lint. Cotton balls probably work as well or better than dryer lint anyway.

My primary complaint about dryer lint is that it burns rapidly.

Good call on the Swiss over the push knife. Push knives are pretty one dimensional, IMO.

Maybe add a road map or atlas of some sort if you could find one small enough?

ETA: I can't read.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks, yeah, I have a hautish ass. :P

Yes, I need to add a map, mostly for avoiding the less than awesome areas.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:24 pm

What? PSA doesn't have a kit for sale yet? :lol: i kid.

I'll second the ifak stuff. mebe just a roll of gauze, some booboo stuff, a couple of those individual packs asprin/whatnot. I have a little thing of iodine, can use for disinfect and for water treatment... my walk home is likely a lot longer than yours. I'll also vouch for immodium. I carry excedrin since I get migrains, immodium, and some benedryl type crap since being sneezey is not tacticool at all. I have a pretty extensive fak, you can probably work out your likely needs better than we can. I carry a sam splint etc because the terrain I would cross would not exclude me spraining something. It really helps to just really visualize where you'd have to go, your likely areas for resupply/water/friends and where the bad guys would likely be (which you hinted at with your map).

Good call on the swiss knife. Now you have a can opener. You might like one of those platypus waterbottle things (if you have an rei, it's basically a stiffer camelback type thing that is collapsible). 9$, you can roll it up http://www.rei.com/product/797977/platy ... p-34-fl-oz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:37 pm

Nice setup, RG. How far are you needing to go with it, assuming you have to hike from downtown to your digs?

Aside from the poncho which you have already mentioned (Cabelas has their silnylon ponchos on sale right now, btw) I would consider a different headlamp. Call me elitist, but I just havent had any luck with the energizers. The Backpacker has the Princeton Tec "Byte" for something like 18 bucks right now, currently my fav headlamp.

I presume you will be wearing seasonally appropriate clothing? With temps starting to drop, your TNF windbreaker may not be enough to ward off a chill as you boogie home.

And while proper hygene is quite important, I dont really know about the usefullness of toothpaste and toothbrush, and a micro towel, in this kit. I'd go for a good bandanna, and a small FAK with the weight allowance. But thats just me, YMMV.

Good kit!

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:41 am

Mister Dark wrote:Nice setup, RG. How far are you needing to go with it, assuming you have to hike from downtown to your digs?

Yes, down town to North East Columbia, about 20-25 miles.

Aside from the poncho which you have already mentioned (Cabelas has their silnylon ponchos on sale right now, btw) I would consider a different headlamp. Call me elitist, but I just havent had any luck with the energizers. The Backpacker has the Princeton Tec "Byte" for something like 18 bucks right now, currently my fav headlamp.

I'll look into it.

I presume you will be wearing seasonally appropriate clothing? With temps starting to drop, your TNF windbreaker may not be enough to ward off a chill as you boogie home.

Yes, I have a Italian Firefighters jacket that's made by 3M. It's like wearing a quilted tent.

And while proper hygene is quite important, I dont really know about the usefullness of toothpaste and toothbrush, and a micro towel, in this kit. I'd go for a good bandanna, and a small FAK with the weight allowance. But thats just me, YMMV.

Yeah, I think I'll kick the micro towel over to my 48hr bag and put a couple of bandannas in. Good call. I'm keeping my tooth brush.

Good kit!
Thanks for the input. Hopefully this weekend I'll get my 48 bag up.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:55 pm

I have several of the PTec's , if you want to borrow one for a test run just let me know.

mobilesuithomer

Post by mobilesuithomer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:43 pm

That doesn't seem like a whole lot of food (in terms of size or calories), considering how far you have to walk. Could be I missed something, though.

A military can opener or three might be a good addition. (I keep one in my wallet, just in case.) Personally, I think they're a lot easier to use than the ones on Swiss Army Knives and multi-tools.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I have that same headlamp. Is it the one with the two white LED's and the one red LED?
Last edited by mobilesuithomer on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:46 pm

mobilesuithomer wrote:That doesn't seem like a whole lot of food (in terms of size or calories), considering how far you have to walk. Could be I missed something, though.

A military can opener three might be a good addition. (I keep one in my wallet, just in case.) Personally, I think they're a lot easier to use than the ones on Swiss Army Knives and multi-tools.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I have that same headlamp. Is it the one with the two white LED's and the one red LED?
Yes, same led head lamp. I have a couple mres in my truck.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:50 pm

...and now, after getting a couple of great ideas from your thread, I feel the need to dig thru my kit ONCE AGAIN. Probably have to do some gear pRon to make myself feel better, dangit.

Dang ZS.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”