Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
0122358
* * * * *
Posts: 1804
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:07 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland
Location: Purdy...Washington

Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by 0122358 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Don't know if this has been discussed but does anyone else carry a small pocket 50 cent pencil sharpener in thier fire kits?

I found that its perfect for making a decent amount of shavings out of a pencil sized twig or stick and it keeps your knife that much sharper. If the wood is moist or damp just wrap it up and sitck it in your pocket to dry out...plus they dont wiegh anything at all and if you get one with the little container, you can capture the shavings and add them to the pile instead of having them fly everywhwere from the slighetst breeze. Just a thought, has saved me money on quik tinder and stuff like that, although noting beats a tab in an emergency but, still just and idea.
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

User avatar
Burncycle
* *
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:24 pm
Location: TN / KY Border

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by Burncycle » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Sure do! For space concerns I have a tiny metal one with the oversized opening, it doesn't catch the pieces but it's smaller than the plastic ones

dragon rouge
* * *
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 8:47 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: omega man
Location: Fort Worth Texas

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by dragon rouge » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:37 pm

And that good sir is an item that never entered my mind Sounds like a handy thing to add though

jimdawg
* *
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by jimdawg » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:58 pm

dragon rouge wrote:And that good sir is an item that never entered my mind Sounds like a handy thing to add though
Definitely never thought about that, either.

Thank you for posting this. I will definitely be going out and getting a pencil sharpener to add to my fire starting kit. :mrgreen:

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8173
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by TacAir » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:46 pm

I carry one of those 'furrin' ones, you know, that look like a small straight razor. One in the fire kit and one in the FAK. For cactus needles, or nettles.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

phractal
* * *
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by phractal » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Cant say as I've ever thought to carry one, but it sounds like a good idea. Honestly, I always just use my knife. It would seem to me that if you had one that was capable of containing a fair amount of shavings, they could dry out in the container part while you gathered everything else.
Image

My daughter has a ton of pencil sharpeners. I'll have to try that out.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

User avatar
universal_exports
* *
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 7:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: day of the dead
Location: central Arkansas

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by universal_exports » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:59 pm

WOW! great idea, i'll have to pick up a couple, never thought of that, Plus 1 to you!

phractal
* * *
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by phractal » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:20 pm

I just tried it and it worked great, though I did need a touch of dryer lint to catch the spark from my ferro rod. I'll start packing em in my BOBs from now on. :D
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

jimdawg
* *
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by jimdawg » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:38 pm

Went out and bought two of em. I carry a good supply of ziplock baggies in my BOB, both quart and gallon, so once I've got a fire started and trying to relax for the night, I will have a stack of twigs and just start collecting shavings in one of my baggies to dry out for the next fire.

User avatar
TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 8001
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:26 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Location: Watching the Border in Flint, Mich.
Contact:

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Great idea! I am going to buy some tomorrow....
Image

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

phractal
* * *
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by phractal » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Seems a ziplock would, if closed, prevent it from drying. In my neck of the woods, Ziplocks are only good for keeping things dry, not making them dry. YMMV.
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

Red Tamarillo
* * *
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Australia

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by Red Tamarillo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:27 am

Sorry for the necro, but better than starting a new one.
Google brought up this thread, and another from 2010:

" LastBoyScout » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:46 pm
One of my best tricks is to bring what I call a kindling machine. A simple plastic pencil sharpener. Does not weight much and any round or roundish stick becomes very thin wood that will both dry fast and burn fast. And yes you can do this with a knife but try and shave wood that thin in the cold with gloves on. With the pencil sharpner you can do it with out much effort and little danger other then you just made a stick sharp. Also good for that as well. I use one from Home Depot made for contrators pencils that is bigger then most School sized ones. The only issue is the blades on most are carbon steel and will rust. So either keep a touch of oil on it or buy another one for a buck."

And then I was looking at sharpeners (good big two hole ones), some of which are made out of magnesium....
I googled burning magnesium sharpeners, to find youtube vids like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QxQvHH6ck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the vinegar test.
So you can get wood shavings, sharpen a stick, and magnesium to burn in one.
If you've got a couple of pencils along can burn their shavings too.

iainmcphersn
*
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:29 am

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by iainmcphersn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 am

Red Tamarillo wrote:Sorry for the necro, but better than starting a new one.
Google brought up this thread, and another from 2010:

" LastBoyScout » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:46 pm
One of my best tricks is to bring what I call a kindling machine. A simple plastic pencil sharpener. Does not weight much and any round or roundish stick becomes very thin wood that will both dry fast and burn fast. And yes you can do this with a knife but try and shave wood that thin in the cold with gloves on. With the pencil sharpner you can do it with out much effort and little danger other then you just made a stick sharp. Also good for that as well. I use one from Home Depot made for contrators pencils that is bigger then most School sized ones. The only issue is the blades on most are carbon steel and will rust. So either keep a touch of oil on it or buy another one for a buck."

And then I was looking at sharpeners (good big two hole ones), some of which are made out of magnesium....
I googled burning magnesium sharpeners, to find youtube vids like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QxQvHH6ck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like the vinegar test.
So you can get wood shavings, sharpen a stick, and magnesium to burn in one.
If you've got a couple of pencils along can burn their shavings too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-hole-Magnesiu ... 3a71e317e8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quick seach on Fleabay found this one. $6.30 delivered, small and large opening

Red Tamarillo
* * *
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:25 am
Location: Australia

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by Red Tamarillo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Yeah that German brand states what they're made of.
One guy on the net said there are other generic ones that you have to test yourself.
I haven't got one in front of me yet to remind myself what the magnesium ones look like. I remember having one as a kid. Once you know what they look like it would help in spotting them from the aluminium ones.

User avatar
HCH
* *
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 pm
Location: IOWA

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by HCH » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks for the great idea.

User avatar
spyderco monkey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 654
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by spyderco monkey » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Hell, why stop at a pencil sharpener?

Image

-pencil sharpener for tinder gathering
-case made of pure magnesium for use as tinder
-built in firesteel
-built in match strip
-built in bullet puller for ripping off the heads of rounds to use the powder as tinder
-removable razor can be used as signal mirror or backup knife

It's $50, but pretty genius.

http://www.protoolindustries.net/produc ... re-starter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Few will understand me, but I write for the connoisseurs, trusting that they will not be offended by the confidence of my opinions.” Field Marshal Maurice Comte de Saxe, My Reveries, 1732

For honest, in-depth gear reviews, please visit:
http://www.good-kit.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Sworbeyegib
* * * * *
Posts: 3361
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:15 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Thats one of the most niftiest things I've ever seen.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Image

phractal
* * *
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:55 pm
Location: Whidbey Island, WA.

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by phractal » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:05 am

spyderco monkey wrote:Hell, why stop at a pencil sharpener?

Image

-pencil sharpener for tinder gathering
-case made of pure magnesium for use as tinder
-built in firesteel
-built in match strip
-built in bullet puller for ripping off the heads of rounds to use the powder as tinder
-removable razor can be used as signal mirror or backup knife

It's $50, but pretty genius.

http://www.protoolindustries.net/produc ... re-starter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is the most bad ass fire kit I have ever seen...
Where'd my oh there it is go?.... Dang.

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by SCBrian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:58 am

phractal wrote:
spyderco monkey wrote:Hell, why stop at a pencil sharpener?

Image

-pencil sharpener for tinder gathering
-case made of pure magnesium for use as tinder
-built in firesteel
-built in match strip
-built in bullet puller for ripping off the heads of rounds to use the powder as tinder
-removable razor can be used as signal mirror or backup knife

It's $50, but pretty genius.

http://www.protoolindustries.net/produc ... re-starter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is the most bad ass fire kit I have ever seen...
:clap: :clap:
Do WANT! I keep a small plastic one in my kit and teach the scouts, but this is just genius! - now for the price to drop to a reasonable level. I don't think I can convince Mrs. SCBrian of the value of a $50 pencil sharpener....
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

User avatar
111t
* * * * *
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:55 am
Location: OLEAN NEW YORK USA EARTH

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by 111t » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:50 pm

spyderco monkey wrote:Hell, why stop at a pencil sharpener?

Image

-pencil sharpener for tinder gathering
-case made of pure magnesium for use as tinder
-built in firesteel
-built in match strip
-built in bullet puller for ripping off the heads of rounds to use the powder as tinder
-removable razor can be used as signal mirror or backup knife

It's $50, but pretty genius.

http://www.protoolindustries.net/produc ... re-starter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Damn that is nice! $50 though... There's no reason it couldn't be made for a lot less $... Oh well.
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

beast1210
* *
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by beast1210 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm

SCBrian wrote: I keep a small plastic one in my kit and teach the scouts, but this is just genius! -.
Just be careful with plastic ones, when it gets cold they get brittle, I have a friend with a scar on his eye brow from a plastic sharpener exploding on him in winter, sending shards through the air, just missing his eye. My.02
The Adventure starts here.......
http://www.youtube.com/user/beast12101

User avatar
111t
* * * * *
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:55 am
Location: OLEAN NEW YORK USA EARTH

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by 111t » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Staples near me sells mars staedler metal pencil sharpeners. I don't know how expensive they are... But they're cheap.

http://www.staedtler.com/en/products/pe ... sharpener/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1249
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by SCBrian » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:27 am

beast1210 wrote:
SCBrian wrote: I keep a small plastic one in my kit and teach the scouts, but this is just genius! -.
Just be careful with plastic ones, when it gets cold they get brittle, I have a friend with a scar on his eye brow from a plastic sharpener exploding on him in winter, sending shards through the air, just missing his eye. My.02
Your making the assumption that we have winter down here :lol: ;)
I will keep that in mind though, thanks!
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

User avatar
Civilian Scout
* * * * *
Posts: 3568
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: Pocket Pencil Sharpeners

Post by Civilian Scout » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:23 pm

I have one of the Kum magnesium two-hole sharpeners (mentioned above in that eBay link) that I've used a few times when building a fire. Works great. I suppose the two different sized holes do give you more flexibility over what size twigs you can use, but honestly I just like that it's a little bigger and easier to hold when it's cold and I'm wearing gloves. I've never tried it but obviously the magnesium frame could be used to help with fire-building in an emergency. I didn't actually buy it expressly for use with my firebuilding kit. I had it for a couple of years before I ever heard about using a pencil sharpener to make tinder. It was one of many little things I "inherited" from an ex-girlfriend who did a lot of sketching. :)

They sell for a couple bucks at most art supply or craft stores. $2.49 at Hobby Lobby.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/kum ... er-376772/
"Now, let us gather our strength from the violence of the elements!" - Captain Terror

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”