Bare bones kit (pics)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
glaston
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD
Location: Illinois Valley

Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by glaston » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:56 am

This is the 1st of many of my threads on my kits.
I keep this little bastage either in a cargo pocket or on my belt. I organize my kits in levels.

Level 1- this is what you have on your person. In your pockets, on your belt, etc..
Level 2- this would be considered your web gear(if you use web gear or assault vests or MOLLE or whatever, which I personally don't) so my level 2 kit is one of my various Camelbak's which I've modified to attach to any one of my BoB's, and a Maxpedition Thermite that can be worn around the waist or shoulder.
Level 3- this is your BoB or INCH or whatever else you want to call it. Your long term sustainment, 3 day kit or what have you.
The reason I do my kits this way is because if there were ever a reason that you had to jettison your BoB(and this is very likely IMO) then you're left with just what you have on you. So if you don't have what you need to survive on your person, you're fucked!
So if I have all 3 levels on me and I have to jettison my BoB I detach my level 2 kit(camelBak) which has enough essentials for a few days of miserable survival, but survival nonetheless, if I can't detach my level 2 kit I still have my level 1 kit which will allow me a little time of some real suckhole miserable survival. But it's still survival.

I use krylon flourescent paint on many survival related items for high visibility. Nothing worse than being in a high stress situation and losing a valuable item. This paint is similar to "cat's-eye"(retro-reflective) tape in that shining a UV light on it makes it glow BRIGHT. So I'll take things like knives, containers, pouches, electronics and tape them off except for a small strip on the bottom or side and spray a small 1"x2" area with the krylon flourescent paint. For gear like packs and the like I use DOT reflective tape or cat eye tape on adhesive velcro and just put a strip of it somewhere. Then I can use this tiny little UV light I have to police the camp site to make sure I haven't left anything behind if I have to leave in the dark and in a hurry. I've lost a lot of good expensive items by leaving them behind. That's why I go to these lengths. Live and learn!!
Anyway, this is a DIY "Ranger Rick Survival Kit" which contains the bare essentials.
There's a tiny fishing kit, fire making kit, water purification kit, tiny gerber lockback knife, photon micro-led lite, whistle, signal mirror, wire saw wrapped with paracord to be used as the handles, and a button compass that I attached some gutted paracord to so it could be worn like a ring. Since these photos were taken I added a magnesium firestarter and chopped down bic lighter.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Murph
* * * * *
Posts: 5771
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by Murph » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:54 pm

Dang, that's a lot of blaze orange.
If you're in a colder climate, I might replace the metal whistle with a plastic one.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

glaston
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD
Location: Illinois Valley

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by glaston » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:49 pm

Yeah, the orange isn't for looks though. It has real utility. Losing a black knife or light in the dark when these items are all you have to rely on would be the end of the game. The only time you'd ever use these items is when they're absolutely all you have. Everything there started out black. Which is why I painted it. Started with the photon micro. Since it was black, if I dropped it, I'd be seriously fucked.

User avatar
rsnurkle
* * *
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:25 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Resident Evil: Degeneration, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, I am Legend
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by rsnurkle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:56 am

glaston wrote:Yeah, the orange isn't for looks though. It has real utility. Losing a black knife or light in the dark when these items are all you have to rely on would be the end of the game. The only time you'd ever use these items is when they're absolutely all you have. Everything there started out black. Which is why I painted it. Started with the photon micro. Since it was black, if I dropped it, I'd be seriously fucked.
I just have to comment on it, too. Damn, that's a whole lot of orange. :D

I think you'll find a lot of members agree about being able to find things if/when you drop them easily--but most seem to use a select amount of hi-viz tape or neon-colored dummy cords, so I, for one, am kind of impressed with the level you've taken it to. The UV tape concept for your last-minute campsite check is awesome. Where did you pick up your UV light and the fluorescent tape/paint?

Also do you consider some sort of cordage (pcord, or otherwise) and tape as candidates for a bare essentials kit? My EDC bare essentials right now only involves, keys/cell/id (typical urban loadout), light, whistle, pen, and a utilikey, so you're definitely a step up already, but it seems like those two items might add some good improvisation/repair capabilities for the intended use of your baseline gear without adding too much space.

troll1000
* *
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil (all of them), dawn of the dead, 28 days, 28 weeks.
Location: polar opposite of where i want to be

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by troll1000 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:10 pm

It seems to me that you could do better with reflective 550 cord lanyards or dummy cords and not stand out to the whole world as that guy in all blaze orange. Just my two bucks.
"you may all to hell and i will go to Texas" - David Crockett
AR-10 why force entry when you can shoot them through the walls.

glaston
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD
Location: Illinois Valley

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by glaston » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:56 pm

The UV tape concept for your last-minute campsite check is awesome. Where did you pick up your UV light and the fluorescent tape/paint?
Here's the UV light I have. Small, cheap, because it only serves 1 purpose really.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultraviolet-LED-f ... pd_cp_hi_1
I just buy the Krylon flourescent hi viz paint and DOT reflective tape from wal-mart. I get cats eye tape from a friend in the military, which is to say it's in small quantity and why I use the DOT tape and paint more often.
I keep about 25ft of paracord cobra stitched as a lanyard on this kit. I also keep a small packet of sunblock, some anti-bacterial wipes, and rolled up plastic sleeve for gathering water. The tape is a good idea.
This is not an EDC kit though. I only carry it when I go hunting/hiking/camping, and I never use anything in it. It stays in its pouch and in my pocket and is there "just in case".
It seems to me that you could do better with reflective 550 cord lanyards or dummy cords and not stand out to the whole world as that guy in all blaze orange. Just my two bucks.
Hahaa.. Did you actually read the whole description in my OP? Because, I don't understand how you came to your conclusion that I would be the guy totally decked out in orange that sticks out to the whole world, based only on the fact that what's in this kit is orange. The ONLY reason this kit was done in all orange like this is because it's a last resort kit, when I have nothing to fall back on but what's in this kit.
Some of my gear has very small strips of orange or reflective tape on it, mostly containers and things you have out a lot. Like the buttcap of a knife, or a stripe on a camp axe or camp radio. It's for the same reason that they sell stuff like waterproof match containers in orange, except with this paint they glow under UV light.
Since I'm depending on this kit to save my life in that situation, and murphy's law is what it is, I wanted to make sure that I guarded against something really stupid and unlucky. Having reflective lanyards doesn't help if you drop the actual item when it isn't connected to the lanyard, such as with the small containers. And hi-viz paracord doesn't glow under UV light.
There are places that sell pre-made survival kits where pretty much everything is hi viz orange and white. For the simple fact that the survival situation you'll be in when you need the kit will be a high stress situation where a lot can and will go wrong. This just eliminates some of those potential problems.

User avatar
Kutter_0311
* * * * *
Posts: 6135
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:44 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...
Location: Frozen Tundra, WI

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by Kutter_0311 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:09 pm

I like it. The only thing I can think of off hand is to use a Storm or WindStorm Whistle instead. Those things are crazy loud. I have WindStorms tied to most of my kits. They come in blaze orange and black from the factory. I put BO in my GP Trauma kits, and BLK on my tactical rigs and rucks.

I especially like your UV gear policing method. Lots of gear gets lost in a sudden "GRAB YOUR SHIT AND RUN!" situation. I left an AT-4 rocket behind once in training. SOOO glad it was just a tube full of cement. It only cost me homework, not an NJP...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

glaston
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD
Location: Illinois Valley

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by glaston » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:38 pm

The whistle definitely needs to be replaced. I also need to add a water container that folds or rolls up small enough to fit in the pouch. The one I have in there will work in a pinch but leaves a lot to be desired.
The UV method has served me well. That's why I keep doing it. I've never been in a full out survival situation like the one this kit is designed for, but I've dropped and lost shit and spent hours trying to find it in the dark. Even with a good flashlight things can be almost impossible to find. But when they glow like a blacklight poster you can see them even through thick brush.

troll1000
* *
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: resident evil (all of them), dawn of the dead, 28 days, 28 weeks.
Location: polar opposite of where i want to be

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by troll1000 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:36 pm

I was just thinking that's a lot of blaze orange and they make neon reflective 550 cord. You can wrap 550 cord around just about anything or tape it on like a lanyard. Not trying to knock your idea I guess just putting another idea out there.
"you may all to hell and i will go to Texas" - David Crockett
AR-10 why force entry when you can shoot them through the walls.

glaston
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD
Location: Illinois Valley

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by glaston » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:14 am

troll1000 wrote:I was just thinking that's a lot of blaze orange and they make neon reflective 550 cord. You can wrap 550 cord around just about anything or tape it on like a lanyard. Not trying to knock your idea I guess just putting another idea out there.
No problem there. Always good to have other ideas. a lot of people wouldn't take it to this level and paint all the items. I guess I'm just a bit obsessive in that regard.
Me and a cousin of mine were out shooting on my families land, back when I was 14 or 15. We pushed the limits on how far we walked because we wanted to test ourselves. We both wanted to turn back, but neither of us wanted to be the one to say that.
So we got ourselves seriously lost. Ended up way out on someone elses land. With nothing but a 20ga, a couple boxes of shells, pocket knives, some gatorade and a canteen. No reasonable way to make a fire even.
We were out there for 2 nights. Not really that big of a deal. Nothing bad happened. The weather was really good. We were just freaked out, hungry and tired as hell.
But it got me thinking. So I made a little kit. Kept it tied up in a bandanna and in a pocket anytime I went out. Over the years the idea just evolved.

maine1
* *
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, land of the dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later. Original Dawn of the dead...any zombie movie is ok, some are better than others.

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by maine1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:18 pm

good for you!

layering is the way to go, and usually people need to get screwed a few times by having everything in one before the concept dawns on them.

While i like small kit components as a backup, i also like carrying larger, more effective tools.
If you do not have one, an oven bag in the wallet or folded up somewhere is OK fro last ditch H20 purification. I'd also add a heatsheet, or something like it for minimal sheltering, but that might just be me- i am big on fire and shelter.

If i ever figure out why i cannot post pics on this forum, I'll share mine.

glaston
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD
Location: Illinois Valley

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by glaston » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:57 am

maine1 wrote:good for you!

layering is the way to go, and usually people need to get screwed a few times by having everything in one before the concept dawns on them.

While i like small kit components as a backup, i also like carrying larger, more effective tools.
If you do not have one, an oven bag in the wallet or folded up somewhere is OK fro last ditch H20 purification. I'd also add a heatsheet, or something like it for minimal sheltering, but that might just be me- i am big on fire and shelter.

If i ever figure out why i cannot post pics on this forum, I'll share mine.
I always carry larger more effective tools. I just keep this little kit in a cargo pocket in the off chance I get separated from my other gear. Like if I'm gathering wood while camping, and some unforeseen situation occurs where I can't get back to the campsite. Or if I were to be lost for such a long time that the resources in my other gear are used up, lose my main fire kit, water bladder springs a leak, etc.
a lot can happen in a situation where you're miles from civilization.
I live in a very rural area. Almost all of our camping trips take place several miles from home. Most of the time the only way to get there is by foot, ATV or boat. Which is the way i like it.

For posting pics, you have to upload them to a hosting site first. Then link them in your post.
I use photobucket, but there's also imageshack, flickr. On photobucket, you can just drag an image into a box to upload it, or browse for it through the standard finder(mac) or explorer(windows) box. Photobucket has some nice editing tools that you can use on your images also. Lesser hosting sites like image shack don't offer them.
Once you have your images uploaded to photobucket, there's a sidebar on the interface that generates the links and all you do is click them and it copies them, then you just paste it into your reply message and your good to go. It automatically generates the Img tags for use on the board.
http://beta.photobucket.com/

I'll post photos of my other levels of gear.

User avatar
LittleQuick
* * *
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 1:56 pm

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by LittleQuick » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:32 am

For more visibility and finding your gear you could try out some of this stuff I saw yesterday:
http://www.niteize.com/product/Reflective-Rope.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cut it up and use it for lanyards and stuff. Replace zipper pulls, everything.
I see you already got some Krylon for your gear, very nice.
I like your levels. Toss that POS Gerber and get a tiny spyderco.
Check out county comms peanut lighters, gave me a fucking blood blister but I love it A LOT. Plus I would love to see you blast one in orange. Check out the MPIL for some versatile orange usage, I think they sell it at ITStactical. You may or may not want to put in a space blanket in there. Tell me what you think and if I'm on the web and see something that may help you I'll send it to you.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:DISCLAIMER: America, Fuck Yeah. Sweet Gear. It's Your Money. Do Your Thing. No one will be mad.
TheLastOne wrote: A couple of kids thought it was funny but I punched them in the throat. Breathing was not an issue.
You're only as good as your last patrol.

glaston
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD
Location: Illinois Valley

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by glaston » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:06 pm

LittleQuick wrote:For more visibility and finding your gear you could try out some of this stuff I saw yesterday:
http://www.niteize.com/product/Reflective-Rope.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cut it up and use it for lanyards and stuff. Replace zipper pulls, everything.
I see you already got some Krylon for your gear, very nice.
I like your levels. Toss that POS Gerber and get a tiny spyderco.
Check out county comms peanut lighters, gave me a fucking blood blister but I love it A LOT. Plus I would love to see you blast one in orange. Check out the MPIL for some versatile orange usage, I think they sell it at ITStactical. You may or may not want to put in a space blanket in there. Tell me what you think and if I'm on the web and see something that may help you I'll send it to you.
Yeah I have to replace that knife. It's serrated almost all the way up the blade. The non-serrated edge is tiny and hard to sharpen. The upside is the serrated portion will always be useful for general purpose work, but precise cutting is difficult.
I'll check out those links and items you mentioned. I have a lot of stuff to get and stuff to replace, with little time to do it.
I work on the barges on the IL river, so I'm always out there. So everything I do has to be done on my days off, and those are too few.
Thanks for the info! Post anything you find. I can use all the info and suggestions I can get.

glaston
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD
Location: Illinois Valley

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by glaston » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:14 pm

Here's the 1st part of my level 2 gear.
Maxpedition Thermite w/ Maxpedition GPS/Radio pouch:
Image
I use it as a tool bag. GPS is in the Maxpedition pouch. It has vertical MOLLE straps that are velcro backed for PALS, and horizontal velcro straps so it can also be attached to any shoulder strap or belt. The Thermite bag is versatile. It can be worn over the shoulder with a removeable shoulder pad, or it can be worn around the waist and has a removeable leg strap to keep it secure. There's a space at the top that has a compartment with a zipper that runs the whole height of the bag. I keep the maps and maptools in there. But there's velcro inside there that accomodates a 5.11 holster for concealed carry. I think that's the best feature. I use it like that on occasion. But there's no concealed carry in IL so I only use it like that on my own property. It can only accomodate a compact pistol too.
I have a 5.11 concealment vest that's covered in velcro, the pouches attach that way. It's designed to be worn underneath a jacket. I got it as a gift and haven't used it so i'm not sure how well it works(I have no purpose for a tactical concealment vest at this point). But the pistol holster works with the Thermite using a velcro adapter.
Contents:
Image
^Maps.
IL river fishing hot spots maps.
General Purpose IL map.
Custom topo map for the IL river from http://www.mytopo.com/.
I work on the barges on the IL river. I frequently find myself in places like Chicago, and several other places in-between. I sure the hell don't want to have to stay there during a crisis. So I carry tools to help me get home. So this is one part of a GHB. I just have a different take on it, and split it between a few different elements.
Image
^Map tools.
Fresnel lens for reading small details.
Coordinate scale and protractor overlay.
UTM corner ruler for aerial photos.
1:100.000 UTM grid overlay.
1:24.000 UTM grid overlay.
Image
^Tools
Surefire G2 Nitrolon, w/ LED lamp and a DIY diffuser. There's also an orange diffuser with it, also DIY.
There's a DIY bulb holder, containing the older xenon P60 lamp.
The orange container is a small firekit. All the basic essentials, pretty much the same as everyone else carries. Magnesium striker, cut down hacksaw blade, mini-bic, firestarters made from cotton/wax/PJ, matches, etc...
Painters tool, with can and bottle opener, nail pryer.
Silver Poster Paint Sharpie, large black sharpie.
AAx6, 123Ax4
LED mini lantern for map reading(it's had the same batteries(energizer lithium) in it since 2005 and they're still going). It's my favorite light. You can switch between 1 lamp or 2. It's not real bright but it isn't supposed to be. It's a reading light.
2 Cyalume lightsticks-5 minute ultra intensity orange
Lightstick holder. You can conceal the light with it, or restrict it to a small dot, clip it to something or attach it to a pole.
The little orange disc is small screwdriver that takes bits, there's also assorted bits inside the lid and more next to it.
Then there's 2 types of duct tape wrapped around cards, with ranger bands around it, standard rubber bands, elastic bands, zip ties, and some razor blades tucked into the bundle. i put the razor blades in a piece of an index card, then sandwich it in clear packing tape. So they don't rust or move around and cut anything in the bundle.
Not pictured:
battery operated white lightstick, the tube comes off and it can be used as a low output flashlight.
Beige box
Old iPod nano. The screen is cracked so you can't really use it normally. I use it in disk mode, to keep docs on. All encrypted, field manuals, personal documents, digital maps, photos. All hidden inside mp3 files. The beauty is if someone inspected it, either if it was stolen, found, or if I was being searched by authorities, it would appear to be a broken iPod. So it *might* slip by without issue. Even if it doesn't, it's full of mp3 files and a couple renamed executable files. I have copies of all of it on SD cards, hidden inside photos of really dumb/boring shit like food and furniture, my parents dogs.

In case anyone is wondering about firearms, it seems that's always asked when people don't include them in their photos, I just don't feel comfortable taking photos of them to post on the internet. :o

User avatar
KnightoftheRoc
* * * * *
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 am

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 pm

I have a question, and a suggestion. First, why an orange diffuser? Was that to just keep with the orange theme, or is there some advantage to the orange (as opposed to blue or red) that I'm not aware of? OK, that's two questions, but they are related.

I see you have several topo maps, and several overlays to go with them. They look to be of different scales, hence the multitude of overlays? I would suggest standardizing to something like what I use, the USGS topo maps, so you can use one overlay, and have everything on one uniform scale. They CAN be a bit bulky, but so can a road map, but the USGS maps give you the advantage of more detail, and the ability to order only the maps you want, for the area you're interested in. And, of course, they can be folded like a road map if that suits your purposes, just as easily.

Pretty good looking kit so far- I'm sure you're considering it an on-going work in progress, seems most of us do, lol
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

User avatar
ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 14171
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:06 pm

:clap: the international orange.

If it's "layer 1" stuff .... stuff that is going to live in your pockets. it's going to be small. If you are using it to survive, you are down to what was left in your pockets. Hence:
1) small
2) vital
... it should be easy to find if you put it down or drop it. International orange is a solid and good way to do that.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

User avatar
omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 1827
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland
Location: South Carolina Lowcountry

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by omega_man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:31 pm

Good call on the orange. Losing shit sucks, especially if it's down to your first line. Call me crazy, but I'm assuming the orange stuff is in a pocket or pack (i.e. not dangling around) so who gives a fuck what color it is. Good thinking.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

glaston
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD
Location: Illinois Valley

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by glaston » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote:I have a question, and a suggestion. First, why an orange diffuser? Was that to just keep with the orange theme, or is there some advantage to the orange (as opposed to blue or red) that I'm not aware of? OK, that's two questions, but they are related.

I see you have several topo maps, and several overlays to go with them. They look to be of different scales, hence the multitude of overlays? I would suggest standardizing to something like what I use, the USGS topo maps, so you can use one overlay, and have everything on one uniform scale. They CAN be a bit bulky, but so can a road map, but the USGS maps give you the advantage of more detail, and the ability to order only the maps you want, for the area you're interested in. And, of course, they can be folded like a road map if that suits your purposes, just as easily.

Pretty good looking kit so far- I'm sure you're considering it an on-going work in progress, seems most of us do, lol
The orange diffuser serves double purpose. I usually keep the orange one on there so if I drop the light in the dark it's easier to see since the flashlight body itself is black. That is, if I drop it when the light isn't turned on. But it also serves the purpose of signaling in an emergency. If I have the P61 lamp in the light, it's extremely bright. So if I had to signal for help, the orange color might help get the point of "emergency" through better. The diffusers are made from the inner rings of spray paint caps. I also have a red cap, but haven't cut it down yet.
All my topos are actually in 1:100,000. When I bought the overlays they came in sets. So, I just carry them all. Not really sure why I guess. There's also a corner ruler for aerial photos, but I don't carry any. :lol:
The place I ordered the topos from also has topo/aerial hybrids, and I do plan to get a couple of those. Where do you get yours from?
They're all an ongoing process, really. This kit is just this particular bag though. I also have a camelbak that is the 2nd part of my level 2 gear. Then some belt pouches and a Ka-Bar, and some MOLLE pouches that connect to the Camelbak to extend it for specific purposes. The Thermite can also connect to the Camelbak with some jury rigged fastex straps. But it's kind of awkward so I don't prefer to configure it that way.
I'm just one of those people that does things a bit differently. So I prefer to break my kits up into different elements, and use a certain amount of redundancy among them. I'm also never happy with standard "out of the box" gear. I always have to make modifications or use things in different ways. I get ideas on how to improve things. Many times it results in ruining things. But sometimes it works out perfectly.
I also have a 72 hour BOB that's the level 3 gear, and a rappelling kit that can go with it. A solar power kit, and an emergency contamination kit(nothing like a real military decon kit). Then larger vehicle kits for items like a big ass tent, folding camp chairs, cast iron cook set, large and small game trap kit. Vehicle toolkit, boat kit.
I just don't have a lot of time to go through them all and take photos. So it's a slow process. The rest of the level 2 gear will be up within the next couple days.
ninja-elbow wrote::clap: the international orange.

If it's "layer 1" stuff .... stuff that is going to live in your pockets. it's going to be small. If you are using it to survive, you are down to what was left in your pockets. Hence:
1) small
2) vital
... it should be easy to find if you put it down or drop it. International orange is a solid and good way to do that.
Exactly right. I saw some pre-made survival kits online somewhere years back where everything in them was either hi-viz orange or white, or in a container of those colors. Not only did I think it looked nice and uniform, but the purpose it serves speaks for itself.
When I was younger I wanted everything to be OD or camo. I remember buying things that came in either OD or orange, and just thought that OD and camo were all tactical and tough looking and the orange versions were just silly looking.
Well, now it's full circle. Practical over tactical.
Not that i'd want hi-viz orange packs and clothes, but I also don't want to be mistaken for an "enemy combatant" if the world went to shit either.
I never planned it this way, but I guess the orange gear is kind of my signature now. :) Everyone that sees it seems to comment on it.
omega_man wrote:Good call on the orange. Losing shit sucks, especially if it's down to your first line. Call me crazy, but I'm assuming the orange stuff is in a pocket or pack (i.e. not dangling around) so who gives a fuck what color it is. Good thinking.
Thanks! :D Yeah, all the orange stuff is always inside the packs for the most part. I can't stand to have shit dangling off my packs or out of my pockets at all, regardless of the color. I prefer things to be low profile, not bulky, and kept in/on tight. I don't even like having sleeping bags or tents lashed to a pack. But that's hard to avoid so I live with it.

User avatar
KnightoftheRoc
* * * * *
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 am

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 am

I ordered my topos right from the USGS archives. A bit pricey, as I recall (>20 yrs ago), but worth it.

U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA 22092 is the address listed on the bottom of each of my maps, which are 1980 versions, so not the most up to date. You might find http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/star ... %298933351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a bit easier to use, and faster.

I'd be interested in where you ordered your maps and overlays from, as I had to MAKE an overlay for mine. It was easier than expected, once I owned a computer, but my first map overlay, I copied from my Army overlay, and had to play for a while with the settings on a copier machine to get the scale to match the map, then "copied" it onto a clear overhead projector sheet. Do your topos provide magnetic deflection, and what scale are they at? Mine are 1:24,000, the 7.5 minute quadrangles.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

User avatar
ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 14171
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 12:39 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 am

I've lost whole ferro rods that I put down right in front of me (black and grey) in broad daylight.

I went through the same process - "I can't let the X (X = baddies or Russians) see me at all, everything is muted colors!" and then, in my 30s, realized that no Russians were coming and I liked to be able to see my shit. :lol: F-in Cold War.

To bring this back around to the zombie-schtik: vision is not a zed's strong sense. They don't care either. :|
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

glaston
* *
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn, Day, ROTLD1-2, TWD
Location: Illinois Valley

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by glaston » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 pm

KnightoftheRoc wrote:I ordered my topos right from the USGS archives. A bit pricey, as I recall (>20 yrs ago), but worth it.

U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA 22092 is the address listed on the bottom of each of my maps, which are 1980 versions, so not the most up to date. You might find http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/star ... %298933351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; a bit easier to use, and faster.

I'd be interested in where you ordered your maps and overlays from, as I had to MAKE an overlay for mine. It was easier than expected, once I owned a computer, but my first map overlay, I copied from my Army overlay, and had to play for a while with the settings on a copier machine to get the scale to match the map, then "copied" it onto a clear overhead projector sheet. Do your topos provide magnetic deflection, and what scale are they at? Mine are 1:24,000, the 7.5 minute quadrangles.
I stand corrected. The 1st map in the image is 1:24,000, 7.5min. That one is a local map.
I got 2 of my maps from http://www.mytopo.com/, you view the maps online and choose what portions of them you want printed, what scale, what tools you want printed on them(like UTM and MGRS grids), then choose what type of print you want. I just got mine printed on waterproof paper. You can get them laminated, on poster stock, you can have them shipped rolled in a tube or folded. You can get topo/aerial hybrids, or just aerial photos if you want. You can even order them framed. They use the most recent USGS data sources.
The overlays are from http://www.maptools.com/.
They have PDF files of their overlays that can be downloaded for free. I just didn't want to mess with that at the time so I ordered a set of them.
ninja-elbow wrote:I've lost whole ferro rods that I put down right in front of me (black and grey) in broad daylight.

I went through the same process - "I can't let the X (X = baddies or Russians) see me at all, everything is muted colors!" and then, in my 30s, realized that no Russians were coming and I liked to be able to see my shit. :lol: F-in Cold War.

To bring this back around to the zombie-schtik: vision is not a zed's strong sense. They don't care either. :|
Same here. It used to be all about the Russians when I was a kid. There wasn't such a large military aftermarket either. So surplus was basically what I had to choose from. There was a place called Kaufmans West that I'd mail order from, and of course, Brigade Quartermasters and US Cav. But BQ and USCav didn't do COD orders. Then the internet came to the masses and we now have more options than we can even consider.
I mainly stick to Maxpedition and Camelbak for gear that I know I'll be using in public during normal times. Both brands have served me well so far. Only problem I ever had with either one was an older Thermobak3L that used an older bladder. I left it sit unfilled for over 3 years, and then tried to fill it so a friend could use it and discovered a bunch of cracks developed where the bladder folded onto itself. I tried patching it, but just kept finding them. So I sent it in to Camelbak and they sent me a new one free of charge. Gotta love those lifetime warranties.
I still got an ALICE pack and some web gear components. They're just for backups though, and to loan out to friends who don't have anything to use.
I didn't start using the zombie theme for preps until I came here. I always thought about it, since I've been a zombie fan since I was a kid. I just didn't want to appear crazy to others. :crazy:

User avatar
KnightoftheRoc
* * * * *
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:14 am

Re: Bare bones kit (pics)

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 pm

glaston wrote: I stand corrected. The 1st map in the image is 1:24,000, 7.5min. That one is a local map.
I got 2 of my maps from http://www.mytopo.com/, you view the maps online and choose what portions of them you want printed, what scale, what tools you want printed on them(like UTM and MGRS grids), then choose what type of print you want. I just got mine printed on waterproof paper. You can get them laminated, on poster stock, you can have them shipped rolled in a tube or folded. You can get topo/aerial hybrids, or just aerial photos if you want. You can even order them framed. They use the most recent USGS data sources.
The overlays are from http://www.maptools.com/.
They have PDF files of their overlays that can be downloaded for free. I just didn't want to mess with that at the time so I ordered a set of them.
Thanks!
glaston wrote: I just didn't want to appear crazy to others. :crazy:
um, too late! :lol:
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”