never though of honey being so useful

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DXNIX

Post by DXNIX » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:09 pm

I will definitely be adding honey to my BOB
http://www.survival-spot.com/survival-b ... -of-honey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://itotd.com/articles/218/honey-as-medicine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently honey has been used throughout history as medicine, and an antibacterial. And it will last indefinitely !!

when the worlds falling apart around you and all luxuries are lost, you can still savor a teaspoon of honey and the world wont seam as dark :D

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Re: never though of honey being so useful

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:08 pm

Stock up now, since the apocalypse will start with epic Colony Collapse Disorder(CCD), so says my wife.

Our last Family Plague was mostly treated with honey, except the baby, who can't have honey yet(infant botulism)
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Honey is amazing!

I use it on cuts and scrapes to draw out infection, reduce inflammation & promote healing. Also taken as a drink with hot water & lemon it's good for colds, influenza & bronchitis. (Manuka honey is best for this) :)
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Nesrath

Post by Nesrath » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:32 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:Honey is amazing!

I use it on cuts and scrapes to draw out infection, reduce inflammation & promote healing. Also taken as a drink with hot water & lemon it's good for colds, influenza & bronchitis. (Manuka honey is best for this) :)
one part honey and one part rum!
Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878
Biggin wrote:I still want to see this.... I mean, a dude weeping and fapping in the wild? Awesome.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Nim I actually just did that, and all I can say is that my right hand makes an even shittier ACOG than it does a vagina.
LEO/EMT-B/TEMS

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Nesrath wrote:
wee drop o' bush wrote:Honey is amazing!

one part honey and one part rum!
;) :mrgreen:
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.

SouthPAW

Post by SouthPAW » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Honey is awesome!

Has many uses, and is delicious! Lasts forever too. Literally. They have found jars of honey that were thousands of years old in pyramids and it was still edible.

You also can make mead, too. Google how to make mead. Basically just honey, water & natural yeast. Can be made while camping.

I love me a cup of jasmine tea with honey on a cold morning. :)

rvrrnnr

Post by rvrrnnr » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:35 pm

Another plus about honey is that beekeeping is such an easy hobby. It requires very little space, very little money and the bees pretty much take care of themselves.

calicojack

Post by calicojack » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:20 am

one word. MEAD.

Ableto

Post by Ableto » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Honey is great, One of the main ingredients in making Jerky. Helps kill off bacteria in the meat along with all the saltyness from the many other ingredients. And Honey is so tasty.
Life is like a box of chocolates, eventually we will all melt in the sun.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Honey is so good at drawing out prurient matter in a wound whilst healing it. I've used it repeatedly for this purpose.

Pilsung
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Pilsung » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:13 pm

http://www.beeswaxcandles.com/mm5/merch ... =clearance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't forget the beewax candles, either. I like them much better than parafin. Especially when I can get them on sale.

Pilsung
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Post by Pilsung » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:15 pm

The repository of knowledge on this site never ceases to astonish me.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:18 pm

I stocked up when Big Lots had some on sale - 2oz bottles for $.25 each :mrgreen: I have a couple bottles in many of my bags and a couple cases in the pantry.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:47 pm

I stock a serious amount of honey as bug-in food preps but...

Am I the only person whose instant reaction is "honey+BOB= sticky, ant-attracting mess"? Seriously, I have trouble keeping it from goo-ing up the entire shelf it sits on in the cabinet once it's open and being used. Maybe some of those little packets would make sense, just like little soy sauce and duck sauce packets.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:29 am

duodecima wrote:I stock a serious amount of honey as bug-in food preps but...

Am I the only person whose instant reaction is "honey+BOB= sticky, ant-attracting mess"? Seriously, I have trouble keeping it from goo-ing up the entire shelf it sits on in the cabinet once it's open and being used. Maybe some of those little packets would make sense, just like little soy sauce and duck sauce packets.
The 2oz bottles I have are nearly indestructible. I do have them in a snack-size baggie just in case, but in the year+ they have been kicking around in my bags I haven't had a leakage problem. The problem you will run into with the honey packets is that they are usually not 100% honey - they have an additive to make the honey easier to spread onto your biscuit or whatever.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

SouthPAW

Post by SouthPAW » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:43 am

dukman wrote:
The 2oz bottles I have are nearly indestructible. I do have them in a snack-size baggie just in case, but in the year+ they have been kicking around in my bags I haven't had a leakage problem. The problem you will run into with the honey packets is that they are usually not 100% honey - they have an additive to make the honey easier to spread onto your biscuit or whatever.
Yeah, those honey packets like you get at KFC aren't pure honey- they don't last very long either. I remember getting some, and after them just sitting in my kitchen a few months, they got kinda gross.

I think you can get pure honey packets at club stores like costco or sam's, or smart and final though. That might be something to look into.

However, for BOB use, I'd just use any sturdy bottle with a sufficiently sized mouth, or a heavy duty squeeze type bottle. As long as they're food safe, crush and leak resistant, you should be OK.

Or, you can maybe consider honey crystals. They are nice and tasty as a sweetener, but may not cut it for the antibacterial uses though.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:16 am

duodecima wrote: Am I the only person whose instant reaction is "honey+BOB= sticky, ant-attracting mess"?
It is all that too! I always cover a honey treated wound with a sterile dressing so no stickiness seeps out. :)
Eta I only use honey for that purpose on myself, family & close friends.

1984CJ
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 1984CJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:16 am

Raw, locally produced honey, also has an effect similar to allergy shots. When you ingest the raw honey you also ingest small amounts of the local pollen. Thus leading to a reduced sensitivity to the local pollens over time.

Support your local bee-keeper.
Tanstaafl

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:25 pm

1984CJ wrote:Raw, locally produced honey, also has an effect similar to allergy shots. When you ingest the raw honey you also ingest small amounts of the local pollen. Thus leading to a reduced sensitivity to the local pollens over time. Support your local bee-keeper.
This interests me greatly. Need to find a local supply!
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:29 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:
1984CJ wrote:Raw, locally produced honey, also has an effect similar to allergy shots. When you ingest the raw honey you also ingest small amounts of the local pollen. Thus leading to a reduced sensitivity to the local pollens over time. Support your local bee-keeper.
This interests me greatly. Need to find a local supply!
Check your local food coop/health food store. They'll usually know where to get it if they don't already stock local raw honey. I don't use it, but the local coop has it.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:32 am

I did know of a few of these benefits already. Wow! I am going to get some more honey for the stockpile next time I am at the store. Thanks for posting this!
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

skeet

Post by skeet » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:16 am

A nice article about how much better local honey is.

http://membracid.wordpress.com/2011/11/ ... aundering/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(h/t Phil Plait)

CryHavoc

Post by CryHavoc » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:36 am

Nesrath wrote:
wee drop o' bush wrote:one part honey and one part rum!
Honequila - shot of Tequila with a dollop of Honey.
Zombie women love me for my Braaaains!
If the 'Zombie Apocalypse' started today, how would you know somebody wasn't just filming a movie?
A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
KnightoftheRoc wrote:The end result is, you can't convince a closed mind, and you don't need to convince an open one.

oleaver
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later

Post by oleaver » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:04 am

1984CJ wrote:Raw, locally produced honey, also has an effect similar to allergy shots. When you ingest the raw honey you also ingest small amounts of the local pollen. Thus leading to a reduced sensitivity to the local pollens over time.

Support your local bee-keeper.
I found out about this living in Sicily. It works great, and tastes great too!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”