Non-alcohol stove design?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ssok
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:49 pm

Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by ssok » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Does anyone have a good design for a home made stove, similar to a hobo stove, but less flimsy?

I have seen great craftsmanship with alcohol stoves (see also: Ducky). Which isnt a bad idea, but if I am bugging out, I will eventually run out of alcohol.

Thoughts? I like something better than an Arizona can with the top bent and holes along the bottom. It would get crushed in my bag.

User avatar
gun
*
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Edgertucky, Wi

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by gun » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:20 pm

These guys make a pretty nice stove. It's multi-fuel ( alcohol, wood, and solid). It has a double row burner that you can set your cup directly on if you're interested in using it quickly. Something fabbed up similar to their design would be pretty cool imho.

http://www.evernewamerica.com/EBY255.htm

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
congochris
* * * * *
Posts: 3153
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:02 pm
Location: Colorado Springs-ish

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by congochris » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:24 pm

And then there's the collapsible BOB stove Bakeel made. Not sure if he's still got any or making any more, but if you're crafty it shouldn't be too difficult to make something similar.

User avatar
flsgear
* * *
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:59 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: :D all of them I think O_O
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by flsgear » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Hobo stove, all the way

http://www.practicalsurvivor.com/hobostove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*edit: most properly built hobo stoves aren't flimsy :P *
Owner, Messina's Front Line Survival Gear - website at http://www.flsgear.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Blog: flsgear.wordpress.com (mostly inactive)
Twitter: twitter.com/mmessina_author (active, not biz related)
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (very active)
Also part-time sci-fi author - http://amzn.to/vYUbTw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hnk
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:14 pm
Location: Central CT

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by hnk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:11 pm

flsgear wrote:Hobo stove, all the way

http://www.practicalsurvivor.com/hobostove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*edit: most properly built hobo stoves aren't flimsy :P *
I'm totally going to build one of these when I get home. I just hope I won't ruin my drill bits. I might just use punches to be safe.
‎"I will show you fear in a handful of dust." - T.S. Eliot, "The Waste Land"

User avatar
xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:41 pm
Location: Central FL East Coast

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:02 pm

here is one i made.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0685&hilit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my next one will be a wood gas stove.

User avatar
TacAir
* * * * *
Posts: 8138
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by TacAir » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:00 pm

gun wrote:These guys make a pretty nice stove. It's multi-fuel ( alcohol, wood, and solid). It has a double row burner that you can set your cup directly on if you're interested in using it quickly. Something fabbed up similar to their design would be pretty cool imho.

http://www.evernewamerica.com/EBY255.htm

Image

Image

Image
Worth the time and bandwidth to trip over the the company's blog (use link) - looks like they just started using the web to market (8/11) but understand the valie of very cool photos.
The visit is worth the time just for the images.
Thanks for the link!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

User avatar
jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by jnathan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:06 pm

The collapsible BoB stove in the thread you linked to is the first stove I thought of. It's a little more low-tech than a folding piano hinged stove but it's also easier to make by a long shot. I haven't made one yet, but I did order some steel to make one from McMaster Carr.

-Jeff
congochris wrote:And then there's the collapsible BOB stove Bakeel made. Not sure if he's still got any or making any more, but if you're crafty it shouldn't be too difficult to make something similar.
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

Image

Prepared American
* * *
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by Prepared American » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:46 pm

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:here is one i made.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0685&hilit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my next one will be a wood gas stove.
I like that little wtove. Might I ask about how much wood and how long does it take to boil a cup of water?

Do you think if I used a #10 can it could be used as a fqmily camping stove?
Hoping to bring back common sense to the prepping community.
dogbane wrote:It's not your post count, it's making posts count.

Prepared American
* * *
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by Prepared American » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:49 pm

hnk wrote:
flsgear wrote:Hobo stove, all the way

http://www.practicalsurvivor.com/hobostove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*edit: most properly built hobo stoves aren't flimsy :P *
I'm totally going to build one of these when I get home. I just hope I won't ruin my drill bits. I might just use punches to be safe.
Fill the can with water and freeze overnight. This will prevent the can from denting when you punch your holes.
Hoping to bring back common sense to the prepping community.
dogbane wrote:It's not your post count, it's making posts count.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by moab » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:27 am

These are better IMHO. It's one can inside of another. Which creates a jet. He's made them in different sizes too. So you can pic how large or small you want to go with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8a6ZFis ... ideo_title" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And if you want to run alcohol (not sure what others) in it.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=84642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
NamelessStain
* * * * *
Posts: 2659
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Coastal SC

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:56 am

I have a wood gas stove myself. I made them after viewing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8a6ZFisGDM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It works like a champ.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by moab » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:43 pm

NamelessStain wrote:I have a wood gas stove myself. I made them after viewing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8a6ZFisGDM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It works like a champ.
LOL! That's the one I just posted above you. They look great. So you've built one? How about a review?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
shulatt
* *
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by shulatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:24 pm

#10 cans work very well. Since I currently have a virtually unending supply of them, I've experimented with them a few times. Find almost any pizza place and ask if you can have a few empties and they'll likely give you several, or tell you to raid the dumpster for as many as you like. A dremel and/or tin snips are handy, but a swiss army knife or almost any other multi-tool more than suffices for making a quick and cheap (and suprisingly sturdy) hobo stove.
An old bronze or steel wire coat hanger (or tent pegs) work fine as a pot/cup stand when you run them threw a few holes punched around the top rim of the can.
One thing to keep in mind about the #10 cans though is that they're almost all lined with various types of "food safe" plastics. Your initial burn is going to stink and about 5 min after you finish your initial burn the can will start rusting. Once you get a design that you like, it may be worth some high temp paint but I haven't tried that yet so can't say one way or the other how durable the paint might be.

:edited for grammer

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by moab » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:31 pm

shulatt - Did you build the actual model posted in those videos? I'm trying to figure out how he cut the ring that holds the inside can up inside the outer can? It almost looks like he used a can opener on the outside of the rim of a can. Rather than on the inside of the rim. Does that make sense?

The inner ring he makes looks like it's the top off the same size can as the bigger one.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
shulatt
* *
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by shulatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:17 pm

moab wrote:shulatt - Did you build the actual model posted in those videos? I'm trying to figure out how he cut the ring that holds the inside can up inside the outer can? It almost looks like he used a can opener on the outside of the rim of a can. Rather than on the inside of the rim. Does that make sense?

The inner ring he makes looks like it's the top off the same size can as the bigger one.
I didn't use that particular video for patterns but more a conglomeration of a few dozen sources. Most of my experimenting was more along the lines of basic hobo stoves rather than wood-gas type.

Looking at that video closely, it looks exactly like he either used the opener on the outside of the rim and a file to smooth the edges, or used the side cut can opener type that scores the "roll" of the metal that's used to seal the can (safety type can opener...no sharp edges). It does look like he used the lid from the outer can to make the support ring. Either that or he used a intact lid or bottom from another same-sized can.
A trick if you don't have a side cutter scoring type can opener handy is to take a utility knife blade and secure it to a shim of some sort that matches the height you want (about mid-line of the roll of the metal...usually in the neighborhood of 1/16 give or take) with just enough blade exposed to get a good score on the metal and 'spin' the can against the mounted blade until you have a deep enough score to pop the lid. You'll want to clean up the edge with a file or some sandpaper to avoid sharp edges.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by moab » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:28 pm

I think you right. I'm going to try to build one of these tonight. If I can find the right sized cans.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
shulatt
* *
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Virginia Beach

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by shulatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:34 pm

moab wrote:I think you right. I'm going to try to build one of these tonight. If I can find the right sized cans.
post pics!

User avatar
Towanda
* * * * *
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:02 am
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by Towanda » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:43 pm

congochris wrote:And then there's the collapsible BOB stove Bakeel made. Not sure if he's still got any or making any more, but if you're crafty it shouldn't be too difficult to make something similar.
Bakeel's stove is the Nimblewill Nomad Little Dandy. Never used one, but I've read many good things about it.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

Image
SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

User avatar
Regulator
* * * * *
Posts: 1416
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,
Location: The mountains of Kansas, USA

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by Regulator » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:43 pm


User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by moab » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Regulator wrote:Trailstove
That's really just a can with some vent holes cut in it. The stove in the youtube clip is a design that produces "jets" of fire. It burns almost completely smokeless and burns the majority of it's fuel. The video shows him running it in his garage. It's one can inside of another. Where the inside can is elevated inside the outside can. With very specific vent holes cut into both cans. I'll try to build one and post up some pics.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

User avatar
Regulator
* * * * *
Posts: 1416
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:19 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,
Location: The mountains of Kansas, USA

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by Regulator » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:03 pm

moab wrote:
Regulator wrote:Trailstove
That's really just a can with some vent holes cut in it. The stove in the youtube clip is a design that produces "jets" of fire. It burns almost completely smokeless and burns the majority of it's fuel. The video shows him running it in his garage. It's one can inside of another. Where the inside can is elevated inside the outside can. With very specific vent holes cut into both cans. I'll try to build one and post up some pics.
I purchased one of these and really like it. But, it would be very easy to make one after seeing this one in person. So while it's not homemade, I think could be pretty easily.

User avatar
NamelessStain
* * * * *
Posts: 2659
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:08 am
Location: Coastal SC

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 pm

moab wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:I have a wood gas stove myself. I made them after viewing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8a6ZFisGDM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It works like a champ.
LOL! That's the one I just posted above you. They look great. So you've built one? How about a review?
On the video opening he shows 4 stoves, I built the 3rd one. Here's basically how I built it:

1) Family sized soup can or large baked beans can (I'll edit this later for how many ounces it is if people ask). I used a can opener that opens around the rim, so that when I use the stove the lid fits better. This will be the Outer Can.
2) Canned Asparagus can(Again, I'll get ounces of can if needed). I use a can that has straight walls and not one that curves in like the stop of a soda can. I cut the top using a can opener that cuts down into the lid to avoid sharp walls. This will be the inner can.
3) I use the templates from zenstoves.com to light up all the holes that I drill. None of them are perfect, but better than me eyeballing it. linky: http://zenstoves.net/Templates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4) Take the outer can and drill holes around the base. With the stoves I've made/tried, I've found 1 ring of holes worked fine. With most holes being 9/32.
5) Take the inner can and drill holes around the base. These holes I generally drill wider apart than the outside can and/or smaller holes.
6) Next drill the same pattern of holes on the top wall of the inner can. These are where the flames exit while cooking.
7) Drill another set of hold about just below the can "ridges" about 1/3 from the top of the inner can. These are the "jets" which people talk about.
8) Drill evenly spaced holes on the bottom of the inner can.
9) Place the inner can on the lid of the outer can. Take a sharpie and trace the diameter of the inner can on the lid of the outer can.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR NEXT STEP, do NOT cut all the way to the sharpie line.
10) Remove the inner circle of the lid but only cut to about 1/8"-1/4" close to the line.
11) Take tin snips and cut 1/8" to 1/4" slits into the lid from the center out toward the rim. These act like springs to hold the inner can in place.
12) Press the outer can lid down over the inner can. I adjusted the lid just above the center set of holes in the inner can. I use a glove when doing this since the compression spring cuts can be sharp.
13) Put inner can assembly (with the Outer can lid) into the outer can.
14) Done
15) ????
16) Profit.

I'm not much of a reviewer. But I will say this, it boils water fast enough for me. :)

Here's another link where he boils water on it and times the entire burn time: http://www.youtube.com/user/guns4toys#p/u/1/bqyewbL5DT4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3878
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Non-alcohol stove design?

Post by moab » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:02 pm

NamelessStain wrote:
moab wrote:
NamelessStain wrote:I have a wood gas stove myself. I made them after viewing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8a6ZFisGDM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It works like a champ.
LOL! That's the one I just posted above you. They look great. So you've built one? How about a review?
On the video opening he shows 4 stoves, I built the 3rd one. Here's basically how I built it:

1) Family sized soup can or large baked beans can (I'll edit this later for how many ounces it is if people ask). I used a can opener that opens around the rim, so that when I use the stove the lid fits better. This will be the Outer Can.
2) Canned Asparagus can(Again, I'll get ounces of can if needed). I use a can that has straight walls and not one that curves in like the stop of a soda can. I cut the top using a can opener that cuts down into the lid to avoid sharp walls. This will be the inner can.
3) I use the templates from zenstoves.com to light up all the holes that I drill. None of them are perfect, but better than me eyeballing it. linky: http://zenstoves.net/Templates.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4) Take the outer can and drill holes around the base. With the stoves I've made/tried, I've found 1 ring of holes worked fine. With most holes being 9/32.
5) Take the inner can and drill holes around the base. These holes I generally drill wider apart than the outside can and/or smaller holes.
6) Next drill the same pattern of holes on the top wall of the inner can. These are where the flames exit while cooking.
7) Drill another set of hold about just below the can "ridges" about 1/3 from the top of the inner can. These are the "jets" which people talk about.
8) Drill evenly spaced holes on the bottom of the inner can.
9) Place the inner can on the lid of the outer can. Take a sharpie and trace the diameter of the inner can on the lid of the outer can.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR NEXT STEP, do NOT cut all the way to the sharpie line.
10) Remove the inner circle of the lid but only cut to about 1/8"-1/4" close to the line.
11) Take tin snips and cut 1/8" to 1/4" slits into the lid from the center out toward the rim. These act like springs to hold the inner can in place.
12) Press the outer can lid down over the inner can. I adjusted the lid just above the center set of holes in the inner can. I use a glove when doing this since the compression spring cuts can be sharp.
13) Put inner can assembly (with the Outer can lid) into the outer can.
14) Done
15) ????
16) Profit.

I'm not much of a reviewer. But I will say this, it boils water fast enough for me. :)

Here's another link where he boils water on it and times the entire burn time: http://www.youtube.com/user/guns4toys#p/u/1/bqyewbL5DT4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy

A couple questions:

1) What is a can opener that cuts on the outside of the rim - versus one that cuts on the inside? Would a p38 work? And then just grind down the left over edge? (Thinking about field expediency.)
2) You gotta show us pics! :)
3) Yes. We would love the ounces of your cans.

Thanks for this tutorial. VERY helpful. Especially if you can turn me onto that can opener that cuts on the outside. Very very cool post. I would love to see boils times of other stoves compared this one. And use of fuel. I'm sure this stove is head and shoulders better than all the other ones I've seen. And it's relatively easy to make - prior to your bug out. And best of all NO SMOKE.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”