What's the watch you are bugging out with?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zombie_kibble
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland, evil dead, well...all of them

Re: What's the watch you are bugging out with?

Post by zombie_kibble » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:26 am

i hadn't even thought about not having a watch to bug out with
ZSC:035 Financial Officer

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:06 pm

my Suunto Vector. Its been crashed with, shot with, hiked with, dived with, spelunked with, lit on fire, crushed, scatches, covered in nasty shit and is still running at 100%.

Suunto has won my loyalty whole heartidly, its a tough fuckin customer.

I'd take it over anything I've found elsewhere. it needs a battery about once every year and a half, but I can live with that.
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:53 pm

Suunto Vector as well. Blood, guts and glory this watch has seen.

Same as the one above just with black dial and far more abuse :twisted:

MrM4Guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by MrM4Guy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:28 pm

I am an avid watch collector with many options. I do like analog hands, but my first choice for my bug out watch would be my Casio Sport Pathfinder PAW-1200. It is water resistant to 100 meters. Is solar powered and has a power reserve of 6 months in complete darkness ( won't have to worry about looking for a new battery in a zombie apocalypse ). It has an auto time setting option that gets it's time from the U.S. Naval observatory. Altimeter, barometer, thermometer, true compass ( both true north and magnetic ), chronometer, blue back lighting (and auto feature that turns on when you turn your wrist to read the time if you want ), one of the few Casios made in Japan and not China or singapore ( quality factor, Casio only makes their better watches in their Japan factory. ), strong resin band with dual holes on the clasp for strength versus one hole which on many watches will tear. The casing is also made of this resin with a stainless steel backing.
I have had this watch for three years now and if I lost, or broke it (which would be difficult) I would replace it in a heart beat. Oh, it also has a nice large face to read the different functions and I like to keep mine on military time.
My second choice would be my Luminox Navy SEAL 3101, but it lacks almost every feature as stated above except it is one tough watch and has analog hands.
My humble $.02 . What are your thoughts on my choice?
BTW, I have a friend with the exact same Casio that he has used in combat in Afghanistan now for two years. It has functioned flawlessly, but does look a lot more worn out than mine!!!! As far as him using the auto time function, you can set the watch to pick up the signal from any part of the world you are in, which he has.
MORS CERTA VITA INCERTA
" Two means one, and one means none, so always have three..."

onenineoneonemergency

Post by onenineoneonemergency » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:56 pm

I love the look of the Suuntos, and I love the features that they offer to the wearer but I keep hearing mixed reviews, and I mean mixed. I read a review about a Vector or a Core that doesn’t survive a brisk summer wind or gets condensation under the crystal because someone sneezed ten feet away, and then the next guy says he sported his Vector/Core while knife fighting a mustached Michael Bean and diving at 30000000 feet while breathing only a pink liquid that was developed by the government as an oxygen substitute. It’s beginning to piss me off that I can’t get a consistent answer on the quality of these watches.

My problem is that I can break just about anything, and I don’t want to drop $200 of hard earned cash on a watch that isn’t going to last three weeks, made by company that has long history of not honoring their warranties or workmanship.

Damn they’re good looking though.

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

What's the watch you are bugging out with?

Post by Winston Smith » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:19 pm

Timex Expedition WS4, $130, compass/barometer/altimeter/thermometer, all work amazingly well, battery can be replaced w/o tools, also gives weather predictions using barometer that are spot on
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

Hermit
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), 28 Days Later

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:19 pm

BloodbathPB wrote:Timex Expedition WS4, $130, compass/barometer/altimeter/thermometer, all work amazingly well, battery can be replaced w/o tools, also gives weather predictions using barometer that are spot on
Agreed. It's my current watch and I love it.
Take what you're being given, make your stand
because the life that you're living
may soon come to an end.

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:05 pm

onenineoneonemergency wrote:I love the look of the Suuntos, and I love the features that they offer to the wearer but I keep hearing mixed reviews, and I mean mixed. I read a review about a Vector or a Core that doesn’t survive a brisk summer wind or gets condensation under the crystal because someone sneezed ten feet away, and then the next guy says he sported his Vector/Core while knife fighting a mustached Michael Bean and diving at 30000000 feet while breathing only a pink liquid that was developed by the government as an oxygen substitute. It’s beginning to piss me off that I can’t get a consistent answer on the quality of these watches.

My problem is that I can break just about anything, and I don’t want to drop $200 of hard earned cash on a watch that isn’t going to last three weeks, made by company that has long history of not honoring their warranties or workmanship.

Damn they’re good looking though.
Yes they do look great even after being used heavily for 4 years. This is a Suunto Vector X Black

H. neanderthalensis

Post by H. neanderthalensis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:14 pm

Rolex SEA-DWELLER

Ref. 16600

It's one tough watch, and stylish too.

H. neanderthalensis

Re:

Post by H. neanderthalensis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:35 pm

...sorry, double post.
Last edited by H. neanderthalensis on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

H. neanderthalensis

Re:

Post by H. neanderthalensis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:37 pm

The Explorer...a great watch. It was my first rollie. A classic and understated watch, great for climbing Everest.
Hamologist wrote:I'm kind of a watch nut.
That being said, I'm going for duribility and dependibility over function. That's why I'm bugging out with this watch:
The Rolex Explorer.

Here is a nice article about the explorer model:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rkeulen/watch/explorer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The gist of it is that they are built like tanks. Highly shock resistant, water proof, highly scratch resistant saphire crystal, and it never needs a battery or winding. They've been to the top of Everest and back several times. The band is especially durable, and low profile so it never gets snagged. All you have to do is keep moving and it stays functional. It will last longer in the PAW than I will. The only draw back (sort of) is that the crystal is very reflective. It could probably be used to signal for help in a pinch (if they werent too far away), but it will give away your position if it catches the light. I wear this watch everyday, and it's durability still impresses me. For what I have wrapped up in all the gimmicky watches collecting dust in a drawer, I could have bought two of these, and it is something that will be in my family long after I am gone.

H. neanderthalensis

Post by H. neanderthalensis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:40 pm

HowItEnds wrote:I'll likely wear my Submariner on a NATO strap. The NATO straps are so nice and comfortable, plus they're a little sportier and pretty damn durable. There's a certain level of understatement when wearing a NATO, I really like that ;)
Nice, a classic combo.

maxfarrand
Favorite Zombie Movies: Milla Jovavich...uh I mean Resident Evil.

Post by maxfarrand » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:52 am

TheFishinMagician wrote:
maxfarrand wrote:Mickey Mouse watch, obviously.

Pics or it didn't happen.

If you're gonna be a smart-ass around here, be prepared to be called out on your smart-assery! :wink:

It just happened! Mickey. For. The. Win.

(For the record, your comment made me finally get off my ass and get a photobucket account to post photos on here.)

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:19 am

maxfarrand wrote:
TheFishinMagician wrote:

If you're gonna be a smart-ass around here, be prepared to be called out on your smart-assery! :wink:

(For the record, your comment made me finally get off my ass and get a photobucket account to post photos on here.)

You win, indeed! 8-) The ZPAW will now be much classier, thanks to you.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

Jorian

Post by Jorian » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:20 pm

maxfarrand wrote:
TheFishinMagician wrote:

Truly humbling. :oops:

Omega Storm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04, Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Omega Storm » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Marathon G-Sar Automatic
http://countycomm.com/presar.html

Specifications:

Rotor is engraved "Marathon Watch Co"
Made by the Marathon Watch Company by contract to the Canadian and now the U.S. Government
Movement: ETA 2824-A2
Dial: measures 27.7mm and utilizes Tritium Gas Vials for Night Illumination
Crystal: sapphire - 2.8mm thick x 30.50mm diameter
Case: is cut from 316L stainless steel
Case diameter is approximately 46.0mm
Bezel diameter is 41.10mm, milled engraved and filled
Case Height is 13.85mm
20 mm lugs with drilled holes
Crown: 6.5mm dia x 5.50mm long, deep knurled
Weight of head 93.1 grams
Rubber Strap is Swiss Made Natural Rubber (not to be confused with plastic or composite bands)
Warranty: One year parts and labor (watch must have legible serial # and invoice)
I bought mine 5 years ago and have been very happy with it. Solid as a rock. Case is a big hunk of solid stainless steel and the whole thing is very sturdy. Winds by my motion, waterproof to 1000ft, and hands/number markers glow for 20+ years. Perfect for the PAW.

i did switch out for this band though. Original one is fine, but I prefer this one.
Last edited by Omega Storm on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tavor/Glock/Stamps/AKM/Yummy Pie/Wire Neutral/Fast Zombies
Bearcat wrote:I think it looks sick. I will definitely get one sometime down the road.
RIP Pat HK33K
ZS Fleet #0039 & 0044
When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a different tune.-Burt Gummer
Catch you f***ers at a bad time? –Abraham Whistler
My blog: http://omega-storm.blogspot.com/

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Omega Storm wrote:Marathon G-Sar Automatic

Specifications:

Made by the Marathon Watch Company by contract to the Canadian and now the U.S. Government
Case Height is 13.85mm
Rubber Strap is Swiss Made Natural Rubber (not to be confused with plastic or composite bands)
Warranty: One year parts and labor (watch must have legible serial # and invoice)
I bought mine 5 years ago and have been very happy with it. Solid as a rock. Case is a big hunk of solid stainless steel and the whole thing is very sturdy. Winds by my motion, waterproof to 1000ft, and hands/number markers glow for 20+ years. Perfect for the PAW.
that watch is at the top of my list
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

Omega Storm
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04, Shaun of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Omega Storm » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:10 pm

skelco wrote:
Omega Storm wrote:Marathon G-Sar Automatic

Specifications:

Case Height is 13.85mm
that watch is at the top of my list
You won't regret it.
A little pricy but it is tough. 5 years and no scratches on the face, bezel tight and smooth, and keeps good time.
Tavor/Glock/Stamps/AKM/Yummy Pie/Wire Neutral/Fast Zombies
Bearcat wrote:I think it looks sick. I will definitely get one sometime down the road.
RIP Pat HK33K
ZS Fleet #0039 & 0044
When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a different tune.-Burt Gummer
Catch you f***ers at a bad time? –Abraham Whistler
My blog: http://omega-storm.blogspot.com/

Whackpack7

Post by Whackpack7 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:09 pm

Luminox Recon Point Man. Luminox serves as the official watch producer and supplier of the US Navy SEALs. Pretty good watch though it was a little expensive...only downfall.

MicSteve

Post by MicSteve » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Another vote for the Timex Expedition's.

I've gone through several different style watches and watch bands and so far its the one that I like best. Can't stand metal bands cause they're too heavy and always end up pinching or pulling hair, every plastic style band I've ever owned has cracked or ripped completely off with extended use so those are out too.

The Expedition is relatively inexpensive, has enough of the features I need, runs for ever and holds up well to any kind of bad treatment I've been able to come up with. My first one lasted me 5 years and I only replaced it because I had sent it through the washer and drier enough times for the light to stop working. Still told time just fine though.

Only downside I've found to it or any fabric type band is that if you don't wash them every once and a while they start to stink something awful. Took me a good few months to figure that out, kept thinking the smell was from the awful chow hall food, turns out it was my nasty unwashed wristband.
The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one.

MrM4Guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by MrM4Guy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:41 pm

I am digging the Marathon G-Sar Auto! Not for my bug out watch, but just to add too my collection. It looks badass!! I also wanted to post that I dig my Seiko Five Divers watch. Automatic, Luminous hands, 200 Meter water resistance, Synthetic sapphire crystal, 21 jewel movement. Mine has the yellow face, but you can get it in other colors I believe. The Seiko Five watch line is very sought after in the Asian market and hard to find in the US except for online. Mine is the SKZ251K1.
MORS CERTA VITA INCERTA
" Two means one, and one means none, so always have three..."

Winston Smith
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Winston Smith » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:39 am

I'd meant to put this Expedition WS4 pic up when I first posted about it, but I was on my phone. I didn't get the camo because I like to blend in day-to-day, but I figured some people would like that. There's about 10 different colors for it(sorry, no pink camo though)
Last edited by Winston Smith on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
*BloodbathPB prior to 4JUN2012*

"To you it's JP8. To me it's a hallucinogen."-PV2 Winston Smith, Tikrit, Iraq 2003

drewder
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: White Zombie (1932 Bella Lugosi)
Dawn of the Dead (new and original)
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
The Return of the Living Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2 (dead by dawn)
Army of Darkness
Grindhouse
Planet Terror
28 days later
28 Weeks Later
I am Legend
The FOG (original, the remake sucked ass)
Resident Evil (the Saga)
Silent Hill
The Phantasm (the SAGA)
Friday the 13th (from start to finish)
Pet Sematary
Night of the Comet

Post by drewder » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:01 pm

As a watch collector.... you f#ckers are getting me into trouble. :lol:

I will say though, I once had a Timex Expedition. I actually still have it, but lost the damn thing a few years back. At 1422 everyday, the alarm goes off for 20 seconds. I still haven't found that f#cker.

ETA: Found it while moving out...and it's dead.
Last edited by drewder on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

KaceCoyote

Post by KaceCoyote » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:42 am

I've been looking at the WS4 for awhile, just for the sake of having something different. My Suunto is almost 8 years old, and well it stopped being "neato" a ways back. So could you give a proper review as you see it?
Kace, the Coyote without a cause.

Only bovines and homosexuals come out of Texas -Politically corrected R Lee Ermey

When the smoke clear, you can see the sky again
There will be the chopped off heads of leviathan
My friend, they call 'em strangers
Everybody talk to him end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange Ways

Return to “Bug Out Gear”