What's the watch you are bugging out with?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

sneakypete757

What's the watch you are bugging out with?

Post by sneakypete757 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:27 am

I really don't have a watch that I wear on a consistent enough basis to warrant wearing it for bugging out. Sure I have a nice chrome watch, but how high-speed low-drag is that? :roll: The only other watch I have is this crappy little thing I found in the lost and found box at my place of employment.

It doesn't even have a light on it! LoL. Well, thought just piqued my interest and I wanted to see what you guys are wearing.

_matthias

EDIT: For an x-mas present to myself, I have purchased a Solar G-Shock! And boy is it uber-tactical!

Yay!
Last edited by sneakypete757 on Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Luke 1:37
"For nothing is impossible with God."

Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

FartInAirConditioner

Post by FartInAirConditioner » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:51 am

Timex expedition here, the same watch I've worn since I was a little'un. Nothing too special, but I need to get a new one, because the one I've got has a worn out band, and the indiglo hasn't worked since the week I got it....five years ago.

"Men of genius sometimes accomplish most when they work the least, for they are thinking out inventions and forming in their minds the perfect idea that they subsequently express with their hands." -Leonardo Da Vinci

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:10 am

What I use right now:
Suunto Vector
* Altimeter: Altitude, vertical speed, altitude alarm, logbook, vertical difference measurement, automatic 24h altitude memory, temperature compensation. Logbook capacity 8 kB, recording intervals 20s, 1min, 10min and 60min, with respective times 10h, 12h, 7 days and 10 days
* Barometer: Sea level pressure, absolute pressure, pressure difference, pressure trend indicator, 4-day barometric memory, temperature
* Compass: Cardinal bearing, North-South arrow, bearing tracking, declination setting
* Chronograph: Stopwatch, countdown timer, calendar, three daily alarms
> Although there's something wrong with my motherboard, so I'm getting the Casio PRG-80 Titanium as my next purchase.

For quality and reliability, plus fashion(Hehe), I use a
Tag Heuer Kirium
Almost forgot about this one. I rarely use it nowadays.

Will be getting a
Casio Pro-Trek PRG-80
Functions

• Full Auto EL Backlight
Automatically deactivates the Auto EL backlight function when surrounding light is sufficient, and activates it under dim light or dark conditions.

• Low-Temperature Resistant
The timekeeping module is designed for operation at very low temperatures. The value indicates the lowest temperature at which the module will operate. *-10 °C resistance does not apply to the direction sensor.

• Solar Power
A solar cell provides power for operation.

• Duplex LCD
Two liquid crystal panels make it possible to select from among different display patterns.

• Compass
A built-in direction sensor detecs magnetic north.

• 10,000 m Altimeter
A pressure sensor detects changes in the air pressure and converts the result into an altitude up to 10,000 m.

• Height Gain
This function sums all the meters you have climbed. So that you can see at a glance the total ascent on a tour.

• Barometic Pressure Measurement
A built-in pressure sensor measures barometric pressure, which is shown on the display.

• Temperature Measurement
A built-in temperature sensor measures the temperature.

• World Time
Displays the current time in major cities and specific areas around the world.

• Stopwatch
Accurate measurement of elapsed time with the touch of a button. The fraction indicates the unit of measurement, while the time figure indicates the maximum time measurement.

• Timer
Counts down from a start time specified by you. The value indicates the number of timers available, while the time figure indicates the maximum starting time. R indicates Auto Repeat, which automatically restarts timing at the end of each countdown.

• Yacht Timer
The yacht timer is used to time the start of regattas. The countdown period can be set from 1 to 10 minutes. An accustic signal is ermitted after each minute has elaapsed and then once a second for the last ten seconds.

• 5 Daily Alarms
The daily alarm reminds you about recurring events with an acoustic signal at the time you have set. You can also activate hourly time signal that indicates each full hour. This model has 5 independent alarms for flexible reminders of important appointments.

• Battery Level Indicator
Indicator shows the current battery level.

• Full Auto Calendar
Allowances are made automatically for months of different lengths, in case date corrections for leap years are required.

• 12/24-hour Timekeeping
Times can be displayed in either a 12-hour or 24-hour format.

• Mineral Glass
Hard glass resists scratching.

• Resin Band

• Water Resistant
The M value indicates the number of depth meters to which water resistance is ensured. 100m means water resistance to 10 atmospheres.

• Accuracy
+/- 15 seconds per month

• Type of battery
CTL1616

• Dimensions
62,3mm x 52,2mm x 14,4mm (H x W x D)

• Weight
77 g
Last edited by BloodLust on Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

mrclarkbkk

Post by mrclarkbkk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:45 am

I currently wear a citizens eco-drive dress watch everyday and love it...has kept time perfectly for over two years now. If i had some extra cash i would think about picking up one of citizens professional diver watches. probably this one

never have to worry about whinding it or changing the battery...as long as it gets some sunlight everyday it's good to go.
September 05 Postal Match - Service Rifle - 2nd Place

Go tell the Lacedaemonians, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie

Winter is Coming

I survived the Spring 06, Fall, Winter, and Spring 07 NorthEast (PA) Shoot/Gathering!!

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:00 am

CASIO G-SHOCK 200 TOUGH SOLAR G7301L-1V

Key Features

* Shock resistant
* 200m Water Resistant
* Auto EL backlight with Afterglow
* Tough Solar Power
* 1/100 Second Stopwatch
* Countdown Timer
* 5 Daily Alarms (1 with Snooze)
* Hourly Time Signal
* Auto Calendar
* 12/24 Hour Formats
* Low Battery Indicator
* Dual Time
* Brightness Alarm
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:32 am

What version of polar is that? They make some of the best training watches around.

Bald Chihuahua

Post by Bald Chihuahua » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:56 pm

I'm going w/ several hundred watches in my B.O.B. so I can give them to people and then we can synchronize watches.

thorian

Post by thorian » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:28 pm

I use the position of the sun.

But I really want one of those casio solar charged atomic watches
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Hamologist

Post by Hamologist » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:15 pm

I'm kind of a watch nut. I have a ton of them, but I'm still usually running late all time. I own (or have tried) just about every gadgety gizmo watch out there. If it does something cool, odds are I've owned it at some point. That being said, I was going to bug out with this watch:
The Timex Helix Watch Altimeter/Barometer/Thermometer
* Face diameter: 2"
* Altimeter/barometric pressure/thermometer.
* i-Control® user interface enhances ease of use.
* Automatic altitude update every 15 seconds.
* Records up to 20 segments.
* Averages ascent/descent rate.
* Averages altitude change.
* Temperature and barometric pressure updated every minute.
* 2 time zones.
* 1/100 resolution chronograph.
* 50 lap memory.
* 24 hour timer.
* Daily alarm.
* 5 minute back-up alarm.
* Mode lock.
* Altimeter:
o Automatic altitude in feet/meters (0-18,000 ft. measured in 10 ft. increments, or 0-6,000m measured in 5m increments).
o Ascent/descent rate in 20 segment memory.
o Stores up to 20 readings.
* Barometer:
o Range 13.30-31 in. Hg or 450-1050 mb
o Takes readings every hour for 24 hours.
o 24 hour storage: Can retrieve readings in 4 hour intervals for 24 hours.
* Thermometer: -5° to +123°F (-20° to +50°C).
* 100-hour chronograph and countdown timer with mode lock.
* Indiglo® nightlight with Night-Mode® feature.
* i-Control® crown set.
* Water-resistant to 50 meters.
* 3 year battery.
Campmor is having an insane special on this watch right now:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=12500226

I paid full price for mine and do not regret the purchase...

However, after owning it for a year or two now, I've changed my mind. It is a really bulky watch, which doesn't really bother me much in warm weather, but in the cold it kinda sucks trying to get your sleave and your gloves over it. I can live with that though, and all of the functions on the watch work very well. I've tested them all and they seem pretty accurate. I am especially fond of the barometer. However, that 3 year battery they advertise lasted way less than even 1 year. It's just not dependable. Even if you lock out the functions and keep it from checking for updates, it still runs through the batteries.

That being said, I'm going for duribility and dependibility over function. That's why I'm bugging out with this watch:
The Rolex Explorer.

Here is a nice article about the explorer model:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rkeulen/watch/explorer.html

The gist of it is that they are built like tanks. Highly shock resistant, water proof, highly scratch resistant saphire crystal, and it never needs a battery or winding. They've been to the top of Everest and back several times. The band is especially durable, and low profile so it never gets snagged. All you have to do is keep moving and it stays functional. It will last longer in the PAW than I will. The only draw back (sort of) is that the crystal is very reflective. It could probably be used to signal for help in a pinch (if they werent too far away), but it will give away your position if it catches the light. I wear this watch everyday, and it's durability still impresses me. For what I have wrapped up in all the gimmicky watches collecting dust in a drawer, I could have bought two of these, and it is something that will be in my family long after I am gone.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:56 pm

It's just a watch, guys. I have one of those $60 Timex Ironman watches they sell in J.C. Penny's. Waterproof, doesn't break apart if dropped and has a light. Good enough.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

UBCS-One

Post by UBCS-One » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:40 pm

Timex Expedition, the version with hands, so I can use it as a compass. The one I am wearing now I have had for over 2 years. I lost it in Sept. 04 and found it in Apr. 05. It spent all that time laying in the field next to my barn, rain, snow, and sub-zero weather included. I had to put a new band on it because the mice had gotten to the original. It is still going strong.
there ain't many problems that you can't fix with 700 dollars and a 30-06!

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:32 am

I'm taking the Suunto Observer that is wrapped around my wrist.
Besides being a solid watch, the alitimiter/barometer/compass/thermometer work very well.
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

TheBlunderbuss

Post by TheBlunderbuss » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:22 am

UBCS-One wrote:Timex Expedition, the version with hands, so I can use it as a compass. The one I am wearing now I have had for over 2 years. I lost it in Sept. 04 and found it in Apr. 05. It spent all that time laying in the field next to my barn, rain, snow, and sub-zero weather included. I had to put a new band on it because the mice had gotten to the original. It is still going strong.
Would that one be the green body, brown nylon strap, and gold hands?

Ranger0402

Post by Ranger0402 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:27 pm

I have a Casio Sea-Pathfinder that has been through Ranger School and two combat deployments. There isn't a scratch on the face and I've only had to send it to the factory to get the battery changed (so as not to void the water-proofing). It works flawlessly and is one of my favorite pieces of kit.
Though I be the Lone Survivor - RLTW

Givens

Post by Givens » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:07 pm

stainless Citizen chrono, glow hands.

Like someone said above... never needs a battery or winding. And actually it doesn't neccessarily need sunlight to charge. Any light source will charge it, but to a limited extent. A couple minutes of sun and it's good for at least a year.
Ben wrote:Or you could make a stylist part of your group.
nfa wrote: Forming a group to survive apocalypse...seeking:
  • * 10 Ninjas
    * 2 Doctors
    * 4 Farmers
    * 1 Hair Stylist
    * 3 Snipers
    * 2 Demolitions Experts
Please apply at the the address listed below...

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:15 am

Got a Timex automatic since I got into high school in the seventies. One little crack in the crystal. About thurty yrs old?
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

UBCS-One

Post by UBCS-One » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:39 pm

Blunderbuss, Its the stainless body w/silver hands, leather strap.
there ain't many problems that you can't fix with 700 dollars and a 30-06!

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:41 pm

I have three watches, and i hardly ever use any of them.

The first one is an Indiglo (remember them..the guys that came up with lighted watch faces :lol:) that iv had for at least a decade. Iv replaced the batteries MAYBE once, but im not even sure of that. Its just got the basics:
* water resistent
* Time/Day/Date indicator
* single alarm
* Stopwatch
* light button
i lost the dang thing years ago, but the alarm was still set. It would go off every dang day, but stop before i could find it. I finaly found it just the other day, and the time and date were still correct, and the light still worked. I hate the plastic band though, and its has since become to small for my wrist. Ill have to get the band replaced.

My second watch is my dress watch: an Armatron Something or other. Its water resistant, and tells the time/day/date. Strait forward bare-bones mechanical watch.

Iv been debating getting a Luminox or other similar watch.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:09 pm

Thing's damn near indestructible. I also have a little compass on the band.

balrog 36

l

Post by balrog 36 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:35 pm

Bald Chihuahua

Post by Bald Chihuahua » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:51 pm

James Bond's watch...

zombievt

Post by zombievt » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:58 pm

I'm wearing a Citizen titanium Aqualand Duplex.

charlie fox

Post by charlie fox » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:28 am

The same one I wear everyday - my Rolex Submariner Date.
[/img]]
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

concept2w

Post by concept2w » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:09 pm

Citizen Skyhawk Eco-Drive Flight Chronograph
Yes I have a pilot licence in case i get some rant

Return to “Bug Out Gear”