Chinese Military (Wonder) Shovel (WJQ-308) Review

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Was this review helpful? (Please vote after reading)

Yes
81%
No
2%
OMG, I gotta read all this crap?
17%

Total votes: 127

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Chinese Military (Wonder) Shovel (WJQ-308) Review

Post by Israel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:01 pm

Many of you have seen the infamous video, if not, here you go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o

Now that that madness is over, here is a video review that lets you get a good look at it from all angles. (It's not mine)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Ucf8TCb6Y

All this peaked my curiosity about how well made this magical Chinese shovel really was. So i decided to spend stupid amounts of money on an E-tool, for SCIENCE!!! So join me on my little adventure.

When my package came from http://www.greenbeetlegear.com I felt like it was (enter your religious holiday of choice) morning. I opened the package and there it was, a brand new, shiny Chinese Wonder Shovel.
Yeah, it's a stock photo but I forgot to take a delivery pic

My first impression was one of optimism. The steel seemed strong and the handle wood hard... (Giggity) The case fabric is thin but the stitching is pretty good. My only complaint about the case is that the saw blade side of the shovel snags on the corner of the case. I'm considering making a kydex insert to fix this.

The back of the case had webbing to make a belt loop so I popped the stitching and used the webbing to make it MOLLE compatable

Now it fits on the back of my Maxped Kodiak

So I give the case a 2.5/5 stars (after MOLLEfication)

-Locking Mechanism
This was the big mystery to me, considering that most E-tools have that big locking nut around the collar. This has always pissed me off because no matter how hard you tighten it their is always a ton of play.
Enter the CWS locking system, on one side of the handle is a knob that works like a set screw. It fits into individual holes along the hinge. on the other side of the handle is a brass screw that has a ball detente in it so that when you open it up the set screw aligns with the holes that allow different functions. This is one of the components I was determined to test out. I will cover my assessment as we continue on this little adventure.

-Shovel/Pick
The day my shiny new E-tool arrived I just had to try it out in my back yard. The dirt is somewhat hard but with few rocks and lots of tree roots. I found a spot where my wife wouldn't object to a small hole and began hacking away. Immediately I found that the weight and balance was not too bad and the beveled edge helped it cut through the dirt pretty well. A light swing in pick mode would cut in about 1.5-2 inches (I found this satisfactory considering all the digging I've done here in the past) At this point in time I was not sure how the locking mechanism would hold up so I was admittedly being gentle. I produced a small hole quite easily and decided that was enough digging till Z-Con.

At Z-Con the pick was used to dig out the side of the mountain to level out camp chairs at base camp. Those of you that have seen the mountain side it is rocky as hell, more rock than dirt. 2 E-tools were used for this specific task something that looked like a glock E-tool (we weren't sure who the manufacturer was) and the CWS. After 2 days of tip torturing this is what happened
CWS:1 Nature:0

As you can see, the pseudo-glock couldn't cut it on the mountain. The tip bent on the second day, and although the severe angle cut through the dirt well, The sheet metal it was made of couldnt handle the rocky terrain. The CWS Had a few minor nicks along the blade and continued to stay in that condition for the rest of the week. The locking mechanism held up well and showed no noticeable differences.

-Hatchet (Chop)
Out of the box the hatchet edge was more dull than the the shovel edge. It is quite stout because of the thickness of the metal on this side. I put a file to it and put on a nice utility edge. I had some freshly fallen branches in the yard from a storm so I hacked away at them. Admittedly I pulled my punches a little bit but still was able to hack through a few 2 inch branches with little effort. The curve of the blade makes it somewhat awkward to swing at certain angles but the weight and balance makes it easy to swing with little fatigue.
At Z-Con we had an interesting curve ball thrown at us with one of the vehicles. It snagged up on a small tree stump in the parking area.

After jacking up his car and getting it off the stump, I gave him the CWS and let him whack away at the roots to remove the stump. He pulled no punches and swung with blind rage till the stump was out (somewhere around 10-12 swings). I guess he was mad at nature trying to violate technology.
CWS:2 Nature:0

I almost felt pity for my new gadget till it pulled through with nothing but dirt to wipe off. After several other hacking events only small nicks were produced in the blade that were easily touched up. The locking mechanism still has no noticeable difference in play.

Hatchet edge 4/5 stars

-Saw
The teeth to the saw are staggered 2 to 1 this helps keep the blade from binding. However, the fact that the shovel itself is curved puts a bit of a hindrance on making deep cuts. Each one of these pictures is after approximately 50 passes with light downward pressure.
Green tree branch

1" PVC

Cinder Block

I tried a nice soft piece of copper pipe but did little more than scratch the surface

I would say that the saw works and in the woods it's better than nothing. If I need to cut larger limbs, that's what the hatchet is for, however, using it for small cutting tasks like notching wood it would work well.
CWS:3 Nature:1 (I gave them each a point because it cuts, just not great)

Saw 2/5 Stars

-Hammer
The balance as a hammer is good but the width of the blade is a minor hindrance. Driving nails is no problem, it feels like a 20oz hammer. The claw portion will only accommodate up to a 10d nail. So you're only pulling out tacks, not dismantling a house.
At Z-Con on range day, Will's ramrod broke so I let him borrow a tent stake and the CWS to finish loading the shot that caused his rod to break.
We did this more for humor's sake than anything else.
Hammer 2.5/5 Stars(hammer head good, claw... meh)

-Bottle Opener
On the saw blade side their is a notch that makes a bottle opener. It's... a bottle opener. It works... That is all.

Bottle opener 5/5 Stars

-Wire Cutter (Scissor)
The quality of the wire cutter is pretty good, cutting harder wire like chain link fence and barb wire. Because the cutter is on the hinge you use the edge of the blade and the handle for leverage (this provides plenty). However the width of the blade will prevent you from getting the cutters in any tight spaces. This is why a Leatherman would be a better choice, but you get more leverage with the CWS.

Wire Cutter (Scissor) 3.5/5 Stars

-Can Opener
The blade that makes up the wire cutter when opened up all the way has an extended blade which makes the can opener. It may be operator error but I couldn't get a good enough of a grip on the lip to drive the blade through the top of the can. FAIL! if you want a can opener, get a P-38 and dummy cord it to your gear

CWS:3 Nature:1 (No points awarded, tin cans are not a part of nature)

Can Opener 0/5 Stars

-Ruler (Measure)
The handle has a ruler marked out to 25cm. I myself feel that this is just something to pad the functions because there are so few reasons for me to need a ruler. However, it could be useful in some respect.
Ruler 5/5 Stars (It's accurate... That is all)

-Wrench
Something not shown in the propaganda video is the fact that there are 2 wrench openings at the back of the blade sized 8mm and 9mm. They fit and would work, but the location and size of the tool cause these wrenches to be almost impractical. Perhaps the Chinese have an intended purpose for them. "A" for effort, "D" for execution.

Wrench 1.5/5 Stars

Now I think it's time to move on to the slightly less believable functions. The ones that make this shovel a true wonder

-Oar
This one made me laugh, but comes down to the fact that its a flat blade on a handle, much like an oar. The only difference is the fact that a real oar has more surface area to work with and a longer handle. During the Z-Con Float trip I told Hudson to stop paddling. I tied off the CWS to the canoe as to not loose it and proceeded to paddle us down the river. The sight of me using this tiny "oar" made Crypto and B3 laugh. I couldn't get a pic because my damn camera died on the river (not from water). We weren't going at top speed but I did keep us moving. When you think about it any E-tool of similar size would be equally effective. My real concern was the dangers of rusting. After immersing the CWS in water I left it to air dry in the humid Missouri air. Not a spec of rust after the whole week of abuse.

Oar 2.5/5 Stars (it's no oar, but in a pinch, it's not gonna crap out on you)

-Shield
The Chinese must have small hands (in their defense, so do I). Because of the curvature of the blade, when its in the folded position, there is a gap that you can fit your hand in. Do no try this with your big Shreck hands. Yes you could use it as a shield. However, its kinda small to defend yourself from stick wielding bandits. It would hurt like hell to get punched in the face with it though.

Shield 2.7/5 Stars (extra points for creativity, points lost for size)

-Grappling Hook (Anchor)
As I mentioned before the set screw fits into specified holes along the hinge. One of these holes locks the blade at a 45 degree angle. Along the hinge is also a large hole designed (I assume) to thread a rope and tie it off. Doing this then wrapping a half hitch around the top of the handle is how you turn your CWS into a Grappling hook/Anchor. At Z-Con I found a sturdy tree branch and threw my trusty shovel. On the first throw I hit my mark and it actually hooked on (results may vary).

admittedly, these photos were taken near sundown with my phone (stupid camera)

Finding volunteers to test a "magic" shovel were hard to come by. Kevin threatened to kill me with the CWS if anyone hanging from it were to get injured. I wanted to find someone that would be heavy enough to prove the point... I had to settle for Hawk being the only one crazy enough to put his faith in my knot tying skills while I took pictures.
I call this one "Grappling Hawk"

Also, here is a video of the guys at http://www.greenbeetlegear.com doing their own test of the grappling hook feature.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0W0g_7jG1k
Side note- we discussed using this as a boat anchor but I didn't try it from fear of loosing it in the river.
CWS:4 Nature:1
Grappling Hook 3/5 Stars (I'll increase the rating once i find a heavier volunteer)

And finally
-Zombie Killer!
For this I used the standard Jeriah Coconut Test.
I'll let the pictures do the talking
BRAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNSSSSSS
Comparing the destruction to Jeriah's original test, the damage was similar to the Gerber hatchet. It's pretty effective.

Zombie Killer! 5/5 Stars

-Locking mechanism
After all this abuse, the locking mechanism remained in tact with little wear and no change in quality.

Locking Mechanism 5/5 Stars

-Handle
My primary concern about these tests was the sturdiness of the handle. It's made of acacia wood which is relatively durable. The handle held up to all punishment and asked for more. If it ever breaks, I can replace it. So my concern for the handle was very little, all things considered

Handle 5/5 Stars

-Final Summation
CWS:5 Nature:1
The hatchet, shovel/pick, hammer and grappling hook were my favorite functions. They all proved to be functional around home and camp. No tool is perfect, there will always be tradeoffs when you make any kind of multi-tool. On the other hand having all this stuff in one 2.5lb tool is pretty damn cool. If all you want is an E-tool that you can hack wood with, go for the CS Spetznaz shovel. If you want something more... wait till the price goes down, these things will cost around $80 minimum. For me, I am officially making this part of my BOB.

Chinese Wonder Shovel; when nature needs to know who's boss

::Flame suit on::

P.S. If you have any other tests you would like to put to the CWS I will take them into consideration (Short of something that will definitely destroy it). Also, if anyone wants to buy me a crovel to torture test, I'm all over it.

Edit: Fixed my dumb ass typos
Last edited by Israel on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"
I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

connecticut_yankee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Re: Chinese Military (Wonder) Shovel Review (56K Death)

Post by connecticut_yankee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:14 pm

Ummm nice review. :P

Got a 50% off coupon, maybe?

FRO-MAN

Post by FRO-MAN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:18 pm

You review(especially the Jeriah Coconut test) has forced me to buy this product despite my incessant middle aged complaining about everything being made in China these days.

Thank You!

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:25 pm

For those of you unsure just how tough this shovel is - rest assured that it really IS that tough. Much, much tougher than any e-tool I've ever seen. The steel seems to be forged as opposed to the stamped crap found on most e-tools. That alone makes this the toughest entrenching tool I've ever seen. It's bigger and heavier, and it's even made (partially) of wood. Obviously Ren and Stimpy would approve.

Chinese or otherwise, it's pretty awesome for a little shovel.

-Jeff

P.S. Whammo! This thread is now sticky as promised.
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Great review . :D

I am pretty much over it as far as e-tools go . Never found one that was worth a damn .

This one looks pretty tough indeed .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:33 pm

I was sold after the Glock (or knock off) piece of shit got bent up on the second night.

So, can I get one of these at Wal-Mart?
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

FRO-MAN

Post by FRO-MAN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:39 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:I was sold after the Glock (or knock off) piece of shit got bent up on the second night.

So, can I get one of these at Wal-Mart?
Even though Wal-Mart is the centralized vortex through which US Dollars exit the country on their way to China they sadly do not carry such an item.

Go Here:
http://www.greenbeetlegear.com/products ... d308..html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's where 1SR437 got his and where I am currently ordering from right now.

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Thats it. Im putting an edge on my gerber shovel. Ive been debating it for weeks, but you have convinced me.

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Post by Israel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Jeffcee wrote:Thats it. Im putting an edge on my gerber shovel. Ive been debating it for weeks, but you have convinced me.
Good luck withstanding the beating I put the CWS through.
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"

LifeStraw Review

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:57 pm

I witnessed a couple of the tests at ZCon, but I am willing to attest to the general sturdiness of the shovel. That thing is built solid. The lack of play in the locking mechanism is fucking amazing. I'm actually curious to how well that will hold up over time, though.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:58 pm

pass, no back flips.

Looks cool, longterm review?
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

azstinger
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-land or Dawn of the Dead

Post by azstinger » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Hmm this looks a lot better than the shitty USGI one I used at SERE. Very tempting.....

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Israel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:11 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:I witnessed a couple of the tests at ZCon, but I am willing to attest to the general sturdiness of the shovel. That thing is built solid. The lack of play in the locking mechanism is fucking amazing. I'm actually curious to how well that will hold up over time, though.
I will continue to use it as necessary so I may revisit some time later.

LifeStraw Review

Guy Fawkes

Post by Guy Fawkes » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:56 pm

Seems pretty freakin' awesome. I'd totally buy, except I've just gone on a spending binge getting my BOB gear via internets.

Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid and obvious question: But as far as BOB's go (because I've seen so many people use e-tools in BOB's), what is one useful for in a BOB? I can't think of a time when I'd ever have to dig when bugging out.

Unless we're talking about a TEOTWAWKI event, in which we're gonna be plunged into a Mad Max/The Road-style situation, in which case I might see how it could help in the long-term.
Google voluntaryism.

FRO-MAN

Post by FRO-MAN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Guy Fawkes wrote:Seems pretty freakin' awesome. I'd totally buy, except I've just gone on a spending binge getting my BOB gear via internets.

Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid and obvious question: But as far as BOB's go (because I've seen so many people use e-tools in BOB's), what is one useful for in a BOB? I can't think of a time when I'd ever have to dig when bugging out.

Unless we're talking about a TEOTWAWKI event, in which we're gonna be plunged into a Mad Max/The Road-style situation, in which case I might see how it could help in the long-term.

Huh? Are you serious?
latrine holes, fire pits, nesting holes,caching,fox holes,digging up root plants when foraging.

Just the shovel part should be one of the top 5 tools in your pack if you know woodcraft.

connecticut_yankee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Post by connecticut_yankee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:08 pm

FRO-MAN wrote:Just the shovel part should be one of the top 5 tools in your pack if you know woodcraft.
1) Knife
2) Firesteel/Matches/Lighter
3) Cordage
4) Water
5) Food

I need more woodcraft practice. If you tell me to get bent and use natural cordage I reserve the right to replace it with "spare glasses" since I am as blind as a bat.

(Edit: Shit, he said tools.
4) Container to carry/boil water
5) Compass
?!!??)

Guy Fawkes

Post by Guy Fawkes » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:12 pm

FRO-MAN wrote:
Guy Fawkes wrote:Seems pretty freakin' awesome. I'd totally buy, except I've just gone on a spending binge getting my BOB gear via internets.

Huh? Are you serious?
latrine holes, fire pits, nesting holes,caching,fox holes,digging up root plants when foraging.

Just the shovel part should be one of the top 5 tools in your pack if you know woodcraft.
I said it might be a dumb question. :mrgreen:

The way I figure it, a latrine hole can be dug with a much smaller hand trowel, or not at all, depending on where you are and how long you plan to be there. Or if nothing else, grab a stick, and you don't have to haul anything away.

What do you mean by fire pit? Just for cooking food? I have a stove, if that's the reason.
And what's a nesting hole?
I plan on doing my caching BEFORE SHTF.
And I don't plan on eating any roots.
Google voluntaryism.

38snubby

Post by 38snubby » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Great review. I am still looking for a Spenatz shovel. I wish I could find one.
Μολὼν λαβέ

greenbeetle
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by greenbeetle » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Die, zombie coconut head!!!!!!!!

FRO-MAN

Post by FRO-MAN » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Guy Fawkes wrote:
FRO-MAN wrote:

Huh? Are you serious?

I said it might be a dumb question. :mrgreen:

The way I figure it, a latrine hole can be dug with a much smaller hand trowel, or not at all, depending on where you are and how long you plan to be there. Or if nothing else, grab a stick, and you don't have to haul anything away.

What do you mean by fire pit? Just for cooking food? I have a stove, if that's the reason.
And what's a nesting hole?
I plan on doing my caching BEFORE SHTF.
And I don't plan on eating any roots.
No such thing as a "dumb question" :D

Your plans may go awry but your skills and a good shovel will not.

1.You may run out of food or have to abandon much of it before it's all over.You can't cook a deer or even a decent sized rabbit over your backpacking stove.

2.Your backpacking stove will not make enough light to scare away animals or enough heat keep you very warm

3.You should dig a hole to poo in BEFORE you do your business and cover it so it does not attract animals(bears,wild dogs,etc) and it will keep cholera at bay by keeping the area around your camp hygienic .A bigger shovel makes this easier and most of the time an entire hole can be scooped out in one piece and then replaced (turf and all) so
that nobody would be able to tell a hole had ever been dug.

4.When it's really cold you can a dig large diameter shallow hole and insulate the "footprint" area for your bivy or tent by piling leaves or pine needles in the shallow depression.
You can even heat stones in your campfire and put them under the leaves and pine needles to make a warm spot that lasts for hours.

5.You can feed yourself on wild onions,tubers and burrowing animals if you run out of supplies.Knowing how to identify plants and find animal dens would be a requirement.

6.You can dig dead-falls to trap animals or even bipeds if need be.A few dead-falls around a long term encampment would be quite the force multiplier if you didn't have enough people to cover all of the approaches.

7.If there is the possibility of armed conflict being able to dig out a firing position is a pretty important asset.Also if you have to abandon some gear or supplies that you found and want to come back to them later you can BURY THEM.

I can't even imagine camping without a shovel much less surviving in the Zombie Post Apocalyptic World!

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:41 pm

-Locking mechanism
After all this abuse, the locking mechanism remained in tact with little wear and no change in quality.
Honestly, that alone makes me want to buy one, even if I have to pay $50 (don't think I'd wanna pay the current $80). I've gone through two shitty overpriced folding shovels. One, a SOG (yea, I shoulda known better for the price) and the other was... Gerber or Glock or something. They all ended up as bent pieces of useless scrap, after only a FEW HOLES IN SOIL. Seriously, not even rocky shit, not even hacking at stuff... just trying to dig a hole to drop a deuce.

Maybe I could get the CS Spetznaz, but... I dunno... if I'm going to finally "buy once, cry once" - it may as well be as badass as that shovel. Seriously, the metal on that thing - I'd bet my life on it as much as you would need to with a shovel.

If John Henry needed a camp shovel to accompany his mythical hammer... it'd be this Chinese Wonder Shovel - after meeting the native chinese who immigrated and worked on the transcontinental railroad, starting from the west, meeting John Henry at Promontory Point, whereby he proceeded to kick their ass and steal their CWS, because damnit, that's how we do in America.

Anyways. Delusional ranting aside, I would be interested if this thing keeps up to the abuse longer term, and how it does against rust. I'm less worried about rust - simply because there's so much steel there, that sacrificing a little to rust that you have to wire-brush away now and then will do no real harm.

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:40 pm

And I thought I was clever getting a Swiss surplus shovel for my 11th birthday... I heard bad things about folding shovels so my mom got me a non folding shovel. This isnt mine but its exactly like mine, has 1938 or somesuch stamped on it:

I'm not going to put a blade edge on it, but what do you guys think? Upgrade to the -Swiss- Chinese Army Shovel Tool when prices drop? :gonk:

My one complaint is the non spade front edge. I dunno about the Alps, but in Texas there isnt enough dirt to take a crap in, it's rocks we be digging. I think the steel is forged, Ive never had the edge roll on me despite years of abuse. Also the sheath kinda sucks but then I was hanging it from my belt.

*edit*

A Marine Vietnam Vet I know told me everyone he knew sharpened the spade side for going melee, with stories going around of their use in this role. I've never handled one but he felt they where damn sturdy and very reassuring to have. As the M1951 (thank you google) got replaced with the super foldy design, the old models became prized. Needless to say he mentioned this while overhearing a discussion about the best zombie melee weapon.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

fourpaws
ZS Member
ZS Member
Location: Worcester in the rolling green countryside.. or up to my eyes and ears in sand and dust..

Post by fourpaws » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:41 am

Awesome review 1SR437... you really hacked that thing to its limits... (ooh see what I did there !!)... anyways.. Not sure if we'll be able to get that shovel imported into the UK but I will certainly look into it.. I was going to go for the Gerber folding shovel for my BOB but I may wait out for a bit till I get an answer from the supplier.. I may be able to get it APO to where Im working.. but not too sure...

Right.. in the last pic of the post you're holding the shovel up... is that some sort of "guard" on the top edge of the shovel or is it just the photo ?? Just that you dont mention it in your review.. It may just be me..

Thanks again !

'Paws..
Somewhere, somehow, someones going to be smashing zombies.....

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:52 am

1SR437 wrote:
Jeffcee wrote:Thats it. Im putting an edge on my gerber shovel. Ive been debating it for weeks, but you have convinced me.
Good luck withstanding the beating I put the CWS through.
Im not really expecting it to. I'd like it to be a emergency shovel/hammer AND hatchet/melee weapon for my GHB. It will be a sad little Robin next to your badass commie Bat-shovel.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”