BullOnParade Practical Urban BOB - Update 03/14

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: BullOnParade Goes Grey (pictures)

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:39 am

Since you brought up the guns again, I'll take this opportunity to direct a few of the Canadian guys to my inheritance. Let me know what you would choose as a bug out rifle, I'm thinking the Enfield, but I have yet to see any of them in person.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:24 pm

My personal choice of rifle would be the Lee Enfield, I do own a No.4 Mk.1 Long Branch one and it is about as rugged and reliable a rifle as you can get. .303 ammo is also very available here even at Canadian Tire and Walmart although it is the pricier hunting type ($20-$25 for 20 rnds) you can get FMJ a bit cheaper ($15-$20 for 20 rnds) at dedicated gun stores. Second pick would be the Remington 870 (maybe I might buy a shorter 22" barrel and extend the mag tube if wanting to make it more home defense/tacticool like).

Correction on the $200 SKS, they are actually being offered at $75 brand new if you first buy a case of ammo from this place:
http://www.marstar.ca/main/images/$75-SkS.jpg

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:53 pm

Checked the weight of the bag this afternoon, came in at 16 pounds even. That's with 1liter of Gatorade, but no water. With all my water filled, I could expect an additional 8.8 pounds. I don't think I will ever intend on including firearms in this kit, but I might 50 rounds or so of .22 in there. The weight would be minimal, and it would be the most useful ammunition among my collection, or in a bug out.
BullOnParade

MrEnigma
Favorite Zombie Movies: A lot of them. Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), and of course, Shaun of the Dead.

Post by MrEnigma » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:40 pm

What's that smell? Must be someone around here with teenager's bodyspray on! Part of a tactical advantage somehow? :lol:

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:20 pm

MrEnigma wrote:What's that smell? Must be someone around here with teenager's bodyspray on! Part of a tactical advantage somehow? :lol:
Things have been updated since the Original Post. I through this kit together somewhat quickly, and the spray on deodorant was what I had available to me. It got replaced by a sample sized stick deodorant, much like the 750ml water bottle got replaced by a 1L Nalgene, or the cotton clothing got replaced by technical clothing.
BullOnParade

smokinbunta
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days/weeks later, dawn of the dead(new version) RE 1, 2 & 3, night of the living dead, zombie land, the walking dead

Post by smokinbunta » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:47 pm

MrEnigma wrote:What's that smell? Must be someone around here with teenager's bodyspray on! Part of a tactical advantage somehow? :lol:

hey don't clown on the Axe spray yo! cause im pretty sure it could be used as a fire starter... lol... wait yep, it's Flammable. just checked the little bottle that i EDC for emergency freshening up before meeting up some ladies.. :P

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: BullOnParade Practical Urban BOB

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Been a while since I've updated this thread, so while I repacked tonight, I took some new photos.

You can see here I took one of the water bottle carriers off and replaced it with an admin pouch. Not 100% sold on this setup, might put the second water bottle carrier on again, especially for the summer.

Clothing:
Zip off cargo pants
Wool "military" sweater
Reebok long sleeved polly/cotton blend
spam compression shorts x 2
Wigwam liner socks x 2 pair
Thermal socks x 1 pair
wool ankle socks x 1 pair
Bandana x 1
Shemagh x 1

All packs down into a compression sack, DVD for scale. This takes up the majority of the pack.

Food/water:
Mainstay emergency rations (3600cals) x 2
Monster Hit Man energy drink x 1
Nalgene widemouthed bottle
Stainless steel nesting cup
I used to keep a 100mg bag of m&ms in this bag. I've eaten them at some point over the winter and forgot to replace them. I'll pick up a new bag this week.
If I add the second water bottle carrier again, it will hold a 1L Gatorade again.

Electronics:
Electric "glow" sticks x 2
Maglight XL100 (I hate this flashlight)
Micro USB cable
iPhone 4 in otterbox
iPhone 4 bumper case
iPhone 4 battery backup and charging cable
Earbud headphones
USB key with documentation
Strap for headlamp (I keep the headlamp on the shoulder strap of the pack)
I realized packing tonight that I don't have any spare batteries in this pack. This is the only BOB I have working on AAA batteries, I will add a half dozen spares this week.

Everything but the iPhone fits into the pencil case.

Toiletries: Nothing too exciting here, packs into pencil case.
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Dental floss
Alcohol hand sanitizer
Deodorant
Sea to Summit travel soap
Coreless TP roll
Mini Shamwow

Generic stuff:
Cheap sunglasses
Moist lens wipes
Dry cleaning cloth
BIC lighter
Can opener
Bandana
Spare car and apartment key (car key will not start ignition, only unlock doors)
Roll of $2 coins
compas
cheap multitool
Zip ties
6' duct tape
25' paracord
Local Maps
Everything but the maps and sunglasses fit in the pencil case.

Admin pouch contents:
Stainless steel Sharpie
Ballpoint Pen with stylus tip
Notebook
Glow stick

So that's what is in my practical Bug Out Bag. The bag I would grab on my way out the door in a realistic emergency that requires me to get out of my apartment, but not necessarily leave the city.
BullOnParade

DeadCanadian

Re: BullOnParade Practical Urban BOB - Update 03/14

Post by DeadCanadian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:47 am

Welcome to the internet and welcome to the home of arm chair commandos.

You live in the largest city in Canada and everyone is telling you to get a rifle and a military bag. Burt Gummers they all are, even the military guys.

You are gearing up for the disasters that will happen in your city, bravo! You don't need a military bag and no cop is going to let you carry a rifle down the street in Toronto or even pull it out of your trunk.

Forget what people say here, keep gearing up for those disasters that have happened in the past as well as economic.

Line gear is a military thing but you might as well get it right:

1st. Line--the clothes on your back and the contents of your pockets. This is survival line.
2nd Line--this is your web gear or tacvest. This is fighting line.
3rd Line--the gear in your backpack. This is living line.

Canadian military used words like Marching Order, Battle Order, etc. But for civies your 1st line is still what is in your pockets, call it survival gear or EDC as you like. 2nd line could be a 4 pocket (or more) civy vest where you put more survival gear. Learn self-defence and the use of found weapons if you want anything close to a "fighting line". 3rd line is your bug out bag, the bag that will make you comfortable at a hotel or friends place until the disaster is over.

Forget the gun laws, you already know them and obey them. Learn the laws (and case law history in your city) of using force in self-defence.

PS replace the deoderant yearly as it dries out even if never opened.
I'm sorry, you must have mistaken me for a zombie that cares.

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:47 am

Great kit, Bull. I really like the changes you've made. FWIW, after the G8/G20 fiasco, I think you're right on track going more "grey man" than tactical when it comes to your emergency preps.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I picked up a half dozen AAA batteries and a package of m&ms on my way home tonight. I don't have many AAA electronics, only keep a few spare batteries around for remotes or "just incase". As I stated above, I hate the maglite in my BOB. It works well as a plain flashlight, but as an advanced (lots of output options) light, it is not easy to use. The best feature it has as a light for a BOB is the "nightlight" feature; set the feature, put the light down. The light will automatically dim to (I think) .5 lumens, move the light from its resting spot and it instantly returns to full brightness.

The m&ms are just a morale food, since I am only relying on food rations for sustenance, adding a snack should make me feel less bland.
BullOnParade

Return to “Bug Out Gear”