Kifaru Ultralights, whos thinking of getting one???

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ArmchairRacer

Re: Kifaru Ultralights, whos thinking of getting one???

Post by ArmchairRacer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:19 pm

I for one was planning on getting one when I had the money (poor college student, it takes time to save up a few hundred $ for a backpack), if a pack can carry 100 lbs comfortably it should be able to carry 30 lbs like a dream. I'll probably buy a bikini frame and then sew up my own pack to go on it. That setup might actually be better as I could easily make multiple bags for different purposes and interchange them all off of one frame.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:23 am

Looking at this as the next option: http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/prod ... _hmg_2400/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Under 2 lbs for 3000 cubes total, they also make a 4000 cube version:
http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/prod ... _hmg_3400/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$250-300, only available in white, probably a little more abrasion resistant than the KU but you do still want to handle with care. Thinking of getting the big one for me and the little one for the wife for doing the PCT at some point. Not going batshit ultralight but just lightening our loads where possible.

The batshit version: http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Backp ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

60 bucks for the kit (you sew it yourself), 25 for the how-to video. Weight varies by color and volume but starts at 9.5oz for a 2200 cube pack. Intended loads are under 20lbs or so. Everything is very skin of your teeth with this approach, like your water bottle is empty as you approach your next water point, you sleep in all your clothes so you can use a thin quilt instead of a sleeping bag, etc.

Steph and I are going for a more moderate approach, so we're looking at the HH ones. Anyone have any experience with em?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:06 am

74 or more wrote:
Jamie wrote:So...are you disagreeing with my original assertion that Kifaru making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or disagreeing with kifaru's decision that their making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or disagreeing with the legions/majority of outdoor gear enthusiasts who thought that Kifaru making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or just disagreeing?

:wink:

Jamie
haha it was early. I was taking a very round about way of saying that it wouldn't be too far fetched for Land Rover to make hybrid SUVs just like it's not far fetched (IMO) for Kifaru to make UL gear. Like I said...it was early :) . Sorry for the snarkeyness.
I think Hummer is more likely to arise from the ashes and begin turning out competitors to the VW Beetle than Kifaru is to make a true ultralight. I think hybrid SUVs are a perfect analogy for the Kifaru ultralight packs. They weren't durable enough to be kifaru, they weren't light enough to be ultralight. Hybrid SUVs don't get anywhere near the gas mileage of a Prius, either.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:58 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
74 or more wrote:
Jamie wrote:So...are you disagreeing with my original assertion that Kifaru making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or disagreeing with kifaru's decision that their making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or disagreeing with the legions/majority of outdoor gear enthusiasts who thought that Kifaru making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or just disagreeing?

:wink:

Jamie
haha it was early. I was taking a very round about way of saying that it wouldn't be too far fetched for Land Rover to make hybrid SUVs just like it's not far fetched (IMO) for Kifaru to make UL gear. Like I said...it was early :) . Sorry for the snarkeyness.
I think Hummer is more likely to arise from the ashes and begin turning out competitors to the VW Beetle than Kifaru is to make a true ultralight. I think hybrid SUVs are a perfect analogy for the Kifaru ultralight packs. They weren't durable enough to be kifaru, they weren't light enough to be ultralight. Hybrid SUVs don't get anywhere near the gas mileage of a Prius, either.
I agree. A hybrid SUV is not as good as hybrids like the Prius but they are still better than your average SUV. So if you want an SUV but don't want the huge gas bill, go for the hybrid version. Kifaru UL bags might not be as light as normal (or "true UL") ultra light gear but it's still way lighter that a normal Kifaru bag. So if you really like Kifaru but you don't want their typical heavy bag, get there UL bag. However, the original analogy was made to a specific SUV. The point I so poorly tried to make was that it's not far fetched for Range Rover to make a hybrid when there are other SUV companies (also high end companies) making Hybrids also. So why would it be far fetched for a company like Kifaru to make UL gear? I guess in the end the joke is on me since they discontinued there UL packs. I'm not a UL guy. And I don't care that Kifaru isn't making their KU line anymore. I was just disagreeing with the notion that a "Kifaru Ultra Light Bag" was a complete oxymoron like "jumbo shrimp".
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:05 am

Analogy fail, sir. :-)

Land Rover is already working on a hybrid.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/13/land ... -models-i/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And quite honestly, hybrid SUV's offer a greater potential for fuel savings, as a percentage, by using hybrid engines vs efficient compact cars. Going from a 45 mpg Golf TDI to a 50 mpg Prius isn't a huge difference. Taking a 16 mph Land Rover and improving it to 23 mpg is a much larger benefit, both in efficiency and in total gallons of fuel burned in a year's usage.

I think the problem with Kifaru UL gear is people are trying to use it as regular Kifaru gear and not as UL gear. Going UL is a compromise and people bought into the Kifaru series thinking it would be more durable than other UL gear. It can't be, as it uses the same materials.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Gixxer1237

Post by Gixxer1237 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:45 pm

I think more of what Jamie was saying was the market base. Kifaru has developed a rep among people who need to be rough on gear and demand it to take it. No true ultra light gear could. So if you sell on the "built kifaru tough" kinda rep those guys aren't going to be happy. The sleeping in their cloths, cliff bar, empty water bottle group doesn't care that it can haul 40#, and do not want the extra oz of weight.

Note that when I look at KU gear I never once said "if only it was ultralight".

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:49 pm

Gixxer1237 wrote:I think more of what Jamie was saying was the market base. Kifaru has developed a rep among people who need to be rough on gear and demand it to take it. No true ultra light gear could. So if you sell on the "built kifaru tough" kinda rep those guys aren't going to be happy. The sleeping in their cloths, cliff bar, empty water bottle group doesn't care that it can haul 40#, and do not want the extra oz of weight.

Note that when I look at KU gear I never once said "if only it was ultralight".
This...I have friends who love their Kifaru gear despite/because it weighs a ton...empty

The minds that build and buy those backpacks aren't the same minds that groove on an 18 ounce backpack.

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”