Kifaru Ultralights, whos thinking of getting one???

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Kifaru Ultralights, whos thinking of getting one???

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:27 am

Yeah, who is going to buy one?
High Explosive, Dual Purpose.

spoolup

Re: Kifaru Ultralights, whos thinking of getting one???

Post by spoolup » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Did, and Im digging it, its going out tomorrow for a short 10 mile hike. My post is a few threads down, just look for my user name.

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:26 pm

spoolup wrote:Did, and Im digging it, its going out tomorrow for a short 10 mile hike. My post is a few threads down, just look for my user name.

lol, yeah, have one too. Already scratched it!!!!!! That's why I posted in your thread yesterday.

spoolup

Post by spoolup » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:33 am

Tear or scratch. What did you hook it on? Just curious. Looks like Im not heading out today, just got called into work. Yeah for overtime, boo for fun. Post pictures and a story please. Im curious.

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Not sure what hooked it. All I know the actual hole is about the size of one of the ripstop squares. Not that it would really affect the pack at all, but it just seemed a bit forboding.

I was out in the woods today with a different smaller pack, and got caught up in some vines and branches that hung a bit lower than I thought. I remember thinking I was extremely happy I wasnt using the KU.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Lightweight Kifaru seems a lot like Jumbo Shrimp... :wink:

I have an ultralight pack, but wouldn't dream of going to Kifaru for one, having seen/handled their packs before...

Jamie - nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:12 pm

nfa wrote:Lightweight Kifaru seems a lot like Jumbo Shrimp... :wink:

I have an ultralight pack, but wouldn't dream of going to Kifaru for one, having seen/handled their packs before...

Jamie - nfa

Other than the fact I was trying to use it like the tactical weight pack, it is perfect. Honestly the most comfortable pack I have ever put on. If I was in the market for an UL pack to hike trails and whatnot with, the KU would be the way to go. It may weigh a few more beans than a ULA or MLD, but fuck it. It's Kifaru! JK, but the little bit of extra weight for the ability to handle any load WAY comfortably that might present it's self, is worth it.

bark-eater

Post by bark-eater » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:40 am

I haven't heard any thing about how Kifaru is going apply their lifetime warranty but I would guess that they have factored in the price of doing major repair work on a greater percentage of the KU packs verses their military and hunting lines. I would not be shy about using the pack until glue and duct tape wont hold it together, then send it in for repair.
" The 'bricoleur' is adept at performing a large number of diverse tasks; but, unlike the engineer, he does not subordinate each of them to the availability of raw materials and tools conceived and procured for the purpose of the project." Claude Lévi-Strauss

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:37 pm

The only price they factor in for repairs is the consumers!

bark-eater

Post by bark-eater » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:32 am

RGR SNAPLINK wrote:The only price they factor in for repairs is the consumers!
Well in my experience Kifaru and Mountainsmith stand behind their gear. Mountainsmith has done repair work on 20 year old packs for me and Kifaru did extensive work on my "antique" MS tipi. There was no charge. I am a Kifaru customer because of my good experience with the Patrick Smith era Mountainsmith packs and the positive customer service experiences I have had.
" The 'bricoleur' is adept at performing a large number of diverse tasks; but, unlike the engineer, he does not subordinate each of them to the availability of raw materials and tools conceived and procured for the purpose of the project." Claude Lévi-Strauss

Post by 04.5 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:12 pm

Just wondering, is there a retailer that sells kifaru stuff or is it for sale on the kifaru website only? (thinking about a tipi) Thanks.

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 pm

bark-eater wrote:I haven't heard any thing about how Kifaru is going apply their lifetime warranty but I would guess that they have factored in the price of doing major repair work on a greater percentage of the KU packs verses their military and hunting lines. I would not be shy about using the pack until glue and duct tape wont hold it together, then send it in for repair.
Oh yeah, I agree, I'm awaiting a Zulu now with the $ I just got from the KU. I will never say a cross word about their workmanship or overall awesomeness. It's just that the KU is not for me. I can't keep a cell phone for 2 months without breaking it. I need everything to be durable and tough. No matter what anyone says though, it's Sil Nylon. Maybe not the most traditional Sil Nylon or what ever, but it is nylon with a silicone coating. I just can go bustin through a south Georgia forest with only sil nylon holding my stuff.

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Kifaru.net the only place that stuff is sold new. Be careful there though. It's not hard to get sucked in and develop a desire to spend every free dollar you have!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:42 pm

The damage almost looks like an abrasion aka fabric rubbed up against a rock. Sil nylon being thin is susceptible to such issues more so than 1000D. This is one reason why someone should never use a rock on top of a siltarp for a bottom anchor. Naturally it could also be from something else.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

RGR SNAPLINK
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by RGR SNAPLINK » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:57 pm

If anyone is looking for a KU pack, there is a 5200 available on the Kifaru forums. A guy named Lab Roamer is looking to off load it.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:12 am

So what happened with this stuff? Did the durability issues prove too troublesome and they discontinued it? I don't see it on the site anywhere any more.

ArmchairRacer

Post by ArmchairRacer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm guessing that's the case, unfortunately it looks like the lightest pack they make now is the high camp, which weighs 4 lbs 5 ozs wit the frame, not exactly lightweight imo.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Jamie wrote:Lightweight Kifaru seems a lot like Jumbo Shrimp... :wink:

Jamie - nfa
I called it 2 years ago...just sayin'

They make really sturdy packs...really heavy, really sturdy packs...they don't (and shouldn't try to) make UL packs...Jumbo shrimp.

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Jamie wrote:
Jamie wrote:Lightweight Kifaru seems a lot like Jumbo Shrimp... :wink:

Jamie - nfa
I called it 2 years ago...just sayin'

They make really sturdy packs...really heavy, really sturdy packs...they don't (and shouldn't try to) make UL packs...Jumbo shrimp.

Jamie
I think if marketed to UL hikers it would have worked. I played with a few of them and for the weight the comfort was amazing aka a full suspension system in a UL pack. But hunters and bushwhackers aren't UL hikers.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:52 am

It's a bit like Range Rover trying to make a Prius...

Jamie

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:28 am

For what it's worth they are still making their Pull-Outs in the UL material.

Jamie wrote:It's a bit like Range Rover trying to make a Prius...

Jamie
There are a few different hybrid SUVs out there. Just sayin.....
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Jamie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:22 pm

So...are you disagreeing with my original assertion that Kifaru making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or disagreeing with kifaru's decision that their making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or disagreeing with the legions/majority of outdoor gear enthusiasts who thought that Kifaru making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or just disagreeing?

:wink:

Jamie

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Jamie wrote:So...are you disagreeing with my original assertion that Kifaru making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or disagreeing with kifaru's decision that their making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or disagreeing with the legions/majority of outdoor gear enthusiasts who thought that Kifaru making ultralight backpacks was a bad idea...

Or just disagreeing?

:wink:

Jamie
haha it was early. I was taking a very round about way of saying that it wouldn't be too far fetched for Land Rover to make hybrid SUVs just like it's not far fetched (IMO) for Kifaru to make UL gear. Like I said...it was early :) . Sorry for the snarkeyness.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Return to “Bug Out Gear”