Ultralight Stove

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Confucius

Re: Ultralight Stove

Post by Confucius » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:40 pm

But you don't know how it will react. It could work fine 10 times until it explodes and lights the woods on fire the 11th. Sorry to muck up your thread with this, but it's just not safe. If you want multi-fuel capability, use a multi-fuel stove. Even a tin can with some sand or fiberglass in it would be far more safe with petroleum fuel than a pressurized, aluminum system such as this.

MaddogOIF

Post by MaddogOIF » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:20 am

Confucius wrote:But you don't know how it will react. It could work fine 10 times until it explodes and lights the woods on fire the 11th. Sorry to muck up your thread with this, but it's just not safe. If you want multi-fuel capability, use a multi-fuel stove. Even a tin can with some sand or fiberglass in it would be far more safe with petroleum fuel than a pressurized, aluminum system such as this.
well when i said "in a pinch" i meant something that could take the place for one time use or even to get someone through a day. until some propper fuel can be found

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:41 am

Don't use petroleum products in alcohol stoves. Period. It's not safe.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Ducky wrote:
MaddogOIF wrote:in a pinch would something like zippo lighter fluid work

Gasoline/vodka/kerosene/lighterfluid will work and will create a flame.
PROS: will hold a flame
will cook your food
You can see the flame

Cons: Large unruly flame
Lots of soot(lot)
Might light everyhting around it on fire
Watch out for fule sputtering out
Oh no. :shock: Very risky and even more so with penny stove designs in my view.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

MaddogOIF

Post by MaddogOIF » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:47 pm

yeah i was just curious considering considering the way zippo lighter fluid is meant to burn. thought maybe if there was a shortage it could be used as alternative

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:18 pm

So I tryed out one of my stoves tonight with gasoline.
Dont worry, no melt down occured.

It reacted a lot like the one in this video.
Except the flames from mine seemed to be a lot taller.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ31Y45U ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont recomend you use any petrolium products in these stoves.
:: Lets eat Grandpa! Lets eat, Grandpa! :: Commas, they save lives!
My Ultralight Stove

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:17 pm

MaddogOIF wrote:yeah i was just curious considering considering the way zippo lighter fluid is meant to burn. thought maybe if there was a shortage it could be used as alternative
Here is a link to an alcohol stove that I believe is very similar to the OP's.

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is what it says in the disclaimers.
Use of gasoline, or any other petroleum products in these stoves may result in severe burns and/or death.

They're saying this for a reason. Given the right set of circumstances things could work out very badly.

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:27 pm

Just ordered one of these from Ducky, can't wait til it comes and I will run a full test this weekend and post a review on how it works so everyone who might be interested knows.

Thanks a lot Ducky! :mrgreen:

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:27 pm

liberty45 wrote:Just ordered one of these from Ducky, can't wait til it comes and I will run a full test this weekend and post a review on how it works so everyone who might be interested knows.

Thanks a lot Ducky! :mrgreen:
No problem. I hope you enjoy it. :D

Don't hold back in your review. I strongly belive that the best improvements to an item come from its failures. I hope it dosn't fail on you, lol, but if it dose just send it back and I will replace it.
My Ultralight Stove

MaddogOIF

Post by MaddogOIF » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Well i promised i'd write a review once i got the chance to test it out and i'd have to say i'm pretty satisfied. It's as light as he says it is but as soon as you get a hands on you can tell it is very strong. I don't have quick access to the ideal fuel so I had to use rubbing alcohol which didn't give me the flame he has pictured. But it was still a good flame and sufficient heat. The best part is it cools vey quickly which really does make it perfect for camping.

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:23 pm

I thought I would post an Update.

I think before I had mentioned something about running one of these stoves over with a truck.
Well, I did.
I wanted to try and convey how tough this stove really is compared to a regular pepsi stove.
so here we go.
Before
(please excuse the shoddy craftsmanship of the pepsi stove, Knowing it was doomed I didn't feel like making it pretty)
During
I couldnt get a pic of it totaly on top of the stove because the tire swallowed it up and you couldn't see it.

After
Sorry pepsi stove, you loose :(

I have two built and ready to go.
$25 and I will take care of shipping

My Ultralight Stove

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:58 pm

All stoves get tested before fielded and if possible that tends to happen here. In this case I was testing ducky's stove and took the others for comparison.

The spot is an overlook on a blue trail. It’s on top of a river valley and is windy more often than not. The back yard is sheltered and not all that indicative to actual field conditions. It’s not uncommon for people to cook/boil at such overlooks on rocks etc.

We have a Trangia double walled, Brasslite double walled chimney, standard double walled Pepsi can and ducky's stove.

http://www.trangia.se/english/2913.trangia_stoves.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://brasslite.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Pepsi can stove construction information.

http://web.archive.org/web/200701100833 ... ruct.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ducky's looks like a Penny type stove but you will have to ask the OP.

On a side note the semi clear white Nalgene bottle makes for a good alcohol fuel bottle that people won't try to drink from. I tossed the stove inside my windscreen/pot support to boil up some coffee. My windscreen is a bit on the marginal side and have been thinking about making another with higher walls but never seem to get around to it.

The stove got a rolling boil as expected for the design.

The performance was on par with the others but being in a windy environment didn’t keep track of the boil times. A few strong gust would influence the times so was just looking for a boil. It burned mostly blue which is a positive in my view. For some reason too much red/yellow during an alcohol burn makes me frown. :lol:

Pros:

1. Heavier than a standard Pepsi can stove but less than the Trangia. Basically all but the most crazed gram weenie would be happy.

2. Feels very very solid. I didn’t worry about it getting crushed in my pack. It could be first or second in terms of durability but didn’t want to start smashing stoves.

3. Burns clean.

4. Vent holes looked drilled and well spaced. Time was spent to ensure no sharp edges anyplace on the burner.

5. If the stove is filled enough it didn‘t require priming during the tested conditions.

6. I think this stove type has a greater pressurized burn and is considered by some to be more efficient than the other types shown. I didn’t test this aspect but just putting that out there for consideration.

Cons:

1. The lowest fuel capacity of the group at 1.8 oz with fuel filling the cup. The Pepsi can held about 2 oz, Trangia around 3 ¼ oz and Brasslite 2 ¼ give or take ¼ oz on all accounts as my fuel capacity test used a 1 oz bottle which isn’t exactly scientific methodology. This didn‘t prevent the stove from boiling and thereby passing that test but still it was the lowest in the group.

2. The small center hole makes fueling the slowest of the group.

3. Unless the stove is filled beyond the fueling hole it might require priming. The brasslite requires priming at times as well as despite the double wall its still a chimney type. Stoves like the Pepsi can with inner wall self primes the best in my view.

4. Requires a wind screen to boil water in field conditions. This is the case with ALL the stoves shown and simply stating this fact as a reminder to those new to alcohol stoves. Only the Brasslite came with an integral pot support but again this isn’t a knock against the others rather a pro of the Brasslite.

5. Only the Brasslite and Trangia have a means to lower the output. I could also make a simmer ring for my Pepsi can stove but never found the need.

Conclusion.

This is probably the strongest build of any aluminum alcohol stove I have ever used. Heck I even reinforced one of my Pepsi can stoves with an Al flashing inner wall and it’s a total wimp in comparison. I don’t think stepping on the burner would crush it. It boiled up the coffee as well. :)

Sealegs

Post by Sealegs » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:32 am

Great write up!

Also, MSR Titan pot/kettle. -le drool-
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

coldshot

Post by coldshot » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Ducky wrote:

Im feeling generous.
I'll do $25 and i'll take care of the shipping as long as your in the US.
Not trying to thread crap, but you may want to look at your pricing. The cadillac of alcohol stoves, Whitebox Stoves only charges $23 shipped and includes a windscreen, priming pan, and lifetime warranty.

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Sealegs wrote:Great write up!

Also, MSR Titan pot/kettle. -le drool-
The MSR Titan kettle isn’t the best at any one thing but does a bunch of stuff good enough. I use it more than any other outdoors cookware item in my bloated collection.

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:21 am

coldshot wrote:
Ducky wrote:

Im feeling generous.
I'll do $25 and i'll take care of the shipping as long as your in the US.
Not trying to thread crap, but you may want to look at your pricing. The cadillac of alcohol stoves, Whitebox Stoves only charges $23 shipped and includes a windscreen, priming pan, and lifetime warranty.

I have made a few stoves like that, I like the fact that you can set the pot on top of the stove. The down side to this is that I dont feel that it makes a very stable stand. The wider the better in my opinion. I also dont like the fact that the flame has to come out of the stove at a 90 degree angle and then go up to heat the pot. In my mind that is waisted energy. This design tends to send flames up the side of the pot and makes it difficult to pick the pot up.

My design, like many other penny stove types. comes out of the stove and goes ditectly up to the bottom of the pot, any exsess flame finds its way up the side of the pot.

In a side note, that white box stove site makes a point out of saying that they use recycled materials and they remove all the pant from the can.
Im sure that most every can or bottle used for these projects is "recycled" in the fact that its contents have been previously consumed.
And its very seldom that you see a stove that someone has made that has the paint still on it.
Thats just silly to say something like that

As far as the price, Whatever, i remove all the paint off my cans.
Put my stove in a no holds barred cage fight with that white box stove and my stove will put a hurtin on that wimp. :lol:
My Ultralight Stove

1Originalist

Post by 1Originalist » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:38 am

Great thread......I have enjoyed the read.
Just a note on the fuels.....Alcohol stoves are very popular on boats for one reason.....you can easily douse a fire that is alcohol fueled with water because alcohol and water mix....Petroleum based fuels just spread and cause a bigger conflagration when hit with water......Just a thought to pass along...... "1"
Tyler Durden: Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:04 am

Ducky - ill say it again good looking stove. i must say im impressed with the crush test! FYI you can download templates from zenstoves.com for your center hole and jet holes ( in case you didnt know ) ive always marked mine with a sharpie ( not using a template ). if i wasnt happy with the spacing i would just rub off the mark with alcohol/fuel and adjust the dots a bit before drilling.

you are forever in wood walkers debt for the thorough and fair review! :lol:

woods walker - great review, and nice photos.

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Yes, I do owe WW a big thankyou for takeing the time to write up a great review on my stove, Much appreciated.

I mark my burn holes with a sharpie as wells. I don't use a tempalte. I will run down how I make the burnner holes.

All of these steps are done before the two halves are pressed together to prevent metal shavings form being caught inside.

1. Rub the half on a thick rubber mat that i have. This makes a ring around the stove that marks where the holes will be drilled.
2. Take the circumference 2(pi)(R)=(Cir) and then divide it by how many holes I want. I like to make 12. So the distance between each hole ends up being 4.47cm
3. Drill the evenly spaced holes marked in sharpie with whatever size drill bit it is that I use. (can't remember the size)
4. Debur the holes with slightly larger size drill bit. Must be done by hand, if you use a drill it digs in too much.
Debur the inside as well
5. redrill out holes because shavings get bent into the holes when deburring.
6. Use airplane deburring tool on the inside and outside of the lip of both halves
Assemble stove:
6. Roll the lip of one half on a piece of wood to crimp it inwards
7. Use the edge of the board to roll the other lip out .
8. lube both pieces
9. Carefully press both pieces together. Make sure it dosn't get lopsided it will mess it all up.
10. Redrill out burn holes. There will be a small ammount of the inner lip that obscures the hole when it is fully pressed together.
You must do this step upside down and slowly to keep any shavings from going into the stove.
11.Buff out stove
12. test burn

13. sell
Last edited by Ducky on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Ultralight Stove

Gaston
Favorite Zombie Movies: Chuck Norris and Jason Statham movies. I mean, you can't kill them, they don't suck blood so they aren't vampires, or change into an animal during a full moon so they aren't were-beasts, so they pretty much have to be Zombies, right?

Post by Gaston » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:15 pm

I bought (I know, that's a heresy, but I have R.A. and can't trust my hands) a "pop can stove" from someone on the Internet. If necessity requires, I can take it apart and use it as a model. Wouldn't care to have a spare, at the weight.

For fuel I only use grain alcohol, as it's a multipurpose liquid. Good for disinfecting wounds (OW!), and even drinking if there's a need (alcohol is an excellent muscle relaxer for someone with, say, a broken leg that's spasming, or even as an impromptu sedative. It also works as a tranquilizer for someone who's going hysterical on you when you're trying to help them. It isn't the best drug, but it's a usuable one. A pop can stove with a pint of grain alcohol in the backpack will last a very long time if you're just sterilizing drinking water or re-hydrating ramen or freeze-dried meals. If heat's a problem you can just soak the ramen (it's boring, but far cheaper than Mountain House meals), and the little stove puts off no smoke and very little light once it's perking.

It's difficult to carry a week's worth of water, especially if you're carrying for two (or more), or re-hydrating food. I keep a good filter bottle and extra filters to supplement it, and although the simple filter bottles are slow they're adequate for the purpose.

I have two BOBs - one is a camo model with a bladder, and another that's an innocent-looking common frameless pack. I figure that my wife can put the light stuff in the larger common backpack, while I watch over her with the heavier but small water-bladder pack that's full camo, my bug-out clothing of choice. The latter pack also has slideable side mini-packs that would be ideal for a handgun and ammo, and I have an M-1 carbine for midrange work.

For us, though, we have a problem with bugging out - both of us have ruptured lumbar discs, I have RA and she has two replacement hips, one of which is misbehaving, and a badly repaired ankle that suffered a compound fracture of both shinbones; so, bugging out is a last resort. I wish we could lay in a supply of Vicodin/Lortab but with the "War on Drugs" laws the way they are I don't see it happening so I lay in plenty of Advil and count on hurting some for both of us. I doubt if we'd try for more than moving a few hundred yards from the house to higher ground where we'd have a good view of the house where most things are stored, scattered about so they'd be difficult to loot quickly; they'd have a long time of exposure in order to find the things they want, and that gives me time to retaliate if there aren't many of them - then I'll have our stuff, and their stuff too. There's spring water up there, and it's so steep that very few bad guys would think it worthwhile to make a sweep of it just in case someone was holed up there. They'd be at one helluva tactical disadvantage as well, so while we might have to just watch someone loot the house, we'd be fairly safe. I also carry an easily camo'd shelter, and as I said, that's billy goat country where someone approaching needs either to stick to the dog/deer path or use ropes. Either way, they're toast if they try it.

Just a thought, and some loose plans.

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Would I be able to get it with the pot for $40, if you have more pots like this one? :D

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:37 pm

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:Would I be able to get it with the pot for $40, if you have more pots like this one? :D

I have been threatend with my life if i sell that pot.
It WAS my wifes when she WAS in the girlscouts. It is very different now from when she was in the girlscouts but she really likes it.

I can make another one. Im not sure if i can do it for $40 but I will work on that and get back to you.
Just to give you a run down on what this franken pot is.
Started out as a 3/4 quart pot from a girl scout mess kit.
This one has a nostick coating and no previous handle, This may be a better canidate than mine was

Then I took the handle from one of these

I rivited the new handle onto the pot so that when i flip the handle over and close it, it holds the lid down somewhat.
I had to remove the old hoop handle on my pot which left 4 holes from the rivets.
I had to have these welded shut at a local shop and then ground it back down flat.

I will see if I have more pics of the pot and post them up latter.
My Ultralight Stove

Lone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland!

Post by Lone » Mon May 09, 2011 11:15 pm

This is an awesome thread. I don't know anything about alcohol stoves, having never even seen one before reading this; but in reading the whole thread and checking out the links to all the stoves mentioned (and with the excellent field review!), if I get to the point of buying an alcohol stove (and at this point I definitely want one!) it will be this one. That is one nice looking stove!
Carpe Noctem!

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Tue May 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Glad to hear that my bablings helped someone learn something new. :D

When you get ready let me know, I have 3 of these sitting on the shelf ready to go.
That goes for anyone elce who may be reading. :D

I actualy tried to anodize one the other night. Didn't work well at all :(
Most of my free time has been going to the garden and my EDC tool production. Hopefully in the future I will be able to offer colored anodized versions.
My Ultralight Stove

Return to “Bug Out Gear”