The Winter Bug Out Contest! Rookie of The Year Award!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
riverjoe47
* * * * *
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: What ??
Location: glacier lakes Northern In. So. Mi.

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by riverjoe47 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:45 pm

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
kyle wrote:I tossed up a banner add for this event. Hopefully it will get you guys more exposure. This is a great idea.

I'm not very graphicly-able so if anyone can come up with a better banner, let me know. I stole that image from the New York chapter website, by the way, http://zsny.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I hope you guys don't mind. :)
where is this awesome banner? i see a link to the contest on the main page, but no banner... unless im a dummy and thats the banner... :?

thanks for the support kyle! 8)
Do you see the guy in the pine trees looking over the snow ?
Do not bathe if there is no water.
Chinese, Shan proverb

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

User avatar
xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:41 pm
Location: Central FL East Coast

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Woods Walker wrote:
Darkside.


I eat food high in calories during winter outings, come to think of it the rest of the year as well. :oops: The Hemlock tea was nice and so was the noodle soup mix. Drinking hot beverages and soups increased my fluid intake around camp which is very very important this time of year. When on the move I still like something cold now and then.
if i had my way pork ( in some way shape, or form ), patatoes, gravy, and biscuits would be on the table every night for dinner 8) the wife tries to make me eat healthy... :cry: . i never did the pine needle tea. i may need to try some on my trip next weekend.

User avatar
xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:41 pm
Location: Central FL East Coast

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:51 pm

riverjoe47 wrote:
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
kyle wrote:I tossed up a banner add for this event. Hopefully it will get you guys more exposure. This is a great idea.

I'm not very graphicly-able so if anyone can come up with a better banner, let me know. I stole that image from the New York chapter website, by the way, http://zsny.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I hope you guys don't mind. :)
where is this awesome banner? i see a link to the contest on the main page, but no banner... unless im a dummy and thats the banner... :?

thanks for the support kyle! 8)
Do you see the guy in the pine trees looking over the snow ?
ok, yeah its on the ZSNY link... saw the pic, didnt see the talk of the contest under it.... yep, im a dummy. :oops:

WhoShotJR
* * * * *
Posts: 1562
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: OTP Atlanta

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by WhoShotJR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:54 pm

xxxDarksidexxx wrote: where is this awesome banner? i see a link to the contest on the main page, but no banner... unless im a dummy and thats the banner... :?

Maybe you're using a different browser/theme, but it's at the top of every page for me.

User avatar
xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:41 pm
Location: Central FL East Coast

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:56 pm

blackdog

great trip as always! i really like the upside down fire action. that pic of you standing there is classic! i always enjoy looking at your pics, and love that you always have your dog with you. its funny how animals can withstand the elements far better than we can..... i mean how do they not end up with frozen paws...

any chance we can see some more pics of that raindeer fur, thats really cool. where does one buy a raindeer fur? i checked REI.com and could not find it. :lol:

great trip, and great use of gear! thanks for posting. 8)

User avatar
xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:41 pm
Location: Central FL East Coast

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:06 pm

WhoShotJR wrote:
xxxDarksidexxx wrote: where is this awesome banner? i see a link to the contest on the main page, but no banner... unless im a dummy and thats the banner... :?

Maybe you're using a different browser/theme, but it's at the top of every page for me.
im using unbunta?.... :?

User avatar
riverjoe47
* * * * *
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: What ??
Location: glacier lakes Northern In. So. Mi.

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by riverjoe47 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:18 am

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:blackdog

great trip as always! i really like the upside down fire action. that pic of you standing there is classic! i always enjoy looking at your pics, and love that you always have your dog with you. its funny how animals can withstand the elements far better than we can..... i mean how do they not end up with frozen paws...

any chance we can see some more pics of that raindeer fur, thats really cool. where does one buy a raindeer fur? i checked REI.com and could not find it. :lol:

great trip, and great use of gear! thanks for posting. 8)
I bet Sea legs could get one . He works with those Laplanders sometimes I think . Actually now that I think about it there's an Amish guy that raises reindeer around here . I ll have to ask my Elk rancher buddy where that was . I was there with him but I can't remember .
I wonder what special properties they posess besides being really cool , which is enough .
Do not bathe if there is no water.
Chinese, Shan proverb

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

Hex7f7f7f
*
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:38 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by Hex7f7f7f » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:22 am

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:blackdog

great trip as always! i really like the upside down fire action. that pic of you standing there is classic! i always enjoy looking at your pics, and love that you always have your dog with you. its funny how animals can withstand the elements far better than we can..... i mean how do they not end up with frozen paws...

any chance we can see some more pics of that raindeer fur, thats really cool. where does one buy a raindeer fur? i checked REI.com and could not find it. :lol:

great trip, and great use of gear! thanks for posting. 8)
Actually, after seeing the reindeer fur the first thing I did was hit ebay for "reindeer hide". I was pleasantly surprised to find this seller has 10 of them for sale :D Now to slip this purchase past my wife...

User avatar
HCH
* *
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 pm
Location: IOWA

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by HCH » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:08 pm

the_alias wrote:Regulator: Man that is a badass entry right there, awesome stuff : get yer ass over to bushcraft and write a Bushcraft Basics on bow drill fires and trap making please :D
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:41 pm
Location: Central FL East Coast

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Hex7f7f7f wrote:
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:blackdog

great trip as always! i really like the upside down fire action. that pic of you standing there is classic! i always enjoy looking at your pics, and love that you always have your dog with you. its funny how animals can withstand the elements far better than we can..... i mean how do they not end up with frozen paws...

any chance we can see some more pics of that raindeer fur, thats really cool. where does one buy a raindeer fur? i checked REI.com and could not find it. :lol:

great trip, and great use of gear! thanks for posting. 8)
Actually, after seeing the reindeer fur the first thing I did was hit ebay for "reindeer hide". I was pleasantly surprised to find this seller has 10 of them for sale :D Now to slip this purchase past my wife...
cool find! and for only 60.00 i would say affordable. i was expecting much more. polar bear would be nice! 8) :lol:

all this reminds me of this song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsFHEK_o9U8&NR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by xxxDarksidexxx on Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sealegs
* * * *
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:13 pm
Location: Sweden, Västra Götaland

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by Sealegs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:58 pm

On the reindeer hides they retailed for about 500SKR last I bought one. So 60USD sounds like a good price from that perspective.

Very nice posts so far. I'm about to start chewing at my desk at work from wanting to git out.

Edited to insert some reindeer skin info:

If you have never owned one before, or are just new to skins as a way of keeping warm here are some common mistakes avoided.

1. NEVER wash a skin. Brush it if you need to but never wash it. They naturally shed some hair now and then, this is unavoidable. Just never pop it in the washing machine. For washing instructions read below.

2. They will wear. Especially where the reindeer "ruggar" or sheds their winter fur. Sheeps skins wear slower, the reindeer has softer hairs.

3. Why reindeer? The strands of hair are hollow, every last one is hollow and holds air. They gain loft from this and allot of equestrians in Sweden use them as saddle skins when competing. Apparently nothing beats it. For reference, the reindeer (Rangifer tarandus, called Caribou in the North Americas I believe?) survive in extreme colds provided that they are dry. In wet and cold conditions their mortality rate is fairly high.

4. If you have to wash a reindeer skin out of sweat, mud and so forth, do like the equestrians here do it. Apply soft soap (had to look that one up for a translation) with a brush and rinse it out with a garden hose. Hang to dry in the sun. I've not washed mine to any extent but I know riders that have done this frequently and have skins five years old showing only minimal stiffness and wear from this. I personally put my skin with the hair down in the snow for a while and then brush out.

5. Sizes medium or large? Like Blackdog does, using a medium skin to cover your induction heat loss areas is probably more worth while than getting a large one. Larger ones are really very nice, allow for greater area to lounge on, can be used as a "snow sofa" (you dig out a sofa from a snow bank and drape the seat and back rest with a skin and lounge away while the meat balls sizzle away on the muurikka.) and such. The space and weight of a larger one is a bit bothersome if you lug it on foot though.

The cheaper skins are really good enough, but if you want to go high end you should look up a company like http://www.kero.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that specializes in reindeer leather products. Their skins go for about double the usual retail price but you can pretty much tell them how you want it. (They also have really nice coffe bags and such.)
Last edited by Sealegs on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
austere [ɒˈstɪə]adj
1. stern or severe in attitude or manner
2. grave, sober, or serious
3. self-disciplined, abstemious, or ascetic
4. severely simple or plain an austere design
[from Old French austère, from Latin austērus sour, from Greek austēros astringent; related to Greek hauein to dry]

neurogenesis
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:55 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead (remake) (2008) because of the fast moving Zombies, Any of the Zombie comedies such as Shaun of the Dead.
Location: Delaware
Contact:

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by neurogenesis » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:26 pm

I might as well play along. I'm bugging out for the next two weeks anyway, all I have to do is take some photos shoot some video and describe it? Count me in.
My wife says I'm a nut but she won't be laughing when the Zombies start breaking the windows in our house and I have to save her unprepared ass.

User avatar
xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:41 pm
Location: Central FL East Coast

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:42 pm

neurogenesis wrote:I might as well play along. I'm bugging out for the next two weeks anyway, all I have to do is take some photos shoot some video and describe it? Count me in.
join in. :)

videos are not required, but are nice. photos are a must. :wink:

User avatar
Blackdog
* * * * *
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:27 am
Location: Off the Grid

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by Blackdog » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:51 am

xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
Hex7f7f7f wrote:
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:blackdog

great trip as always! i really like the upside down fire action. that pic of you standing there is classic! i always enjoy looking at your pics, and love that you always have your dog with you. its funny how animals can withstand the elements far better than we can..... i mean how do they not end up with frozen paws...

any chance we can see some more pics of that raindeer fur, thats really cool. where does one buy a raindeer fur? i checked REI.com and could not find it. :lol:

great trip, and great use of gear! thanks for posting. 8)
Actually, after seeing the reindeer fur the first thing I did was hit ebay for "reindeer hide". I was pleasantly surprised to find this seller has 10 of them for sale :D Now to slip this purchase past my wife...
cool find! and for only 60.00 i would say affordable. i was expecting much more. polar bear would be nice! 8) :lol:

all this reminds me of this song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsFHEK_o9U8&NR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just a little reindeer hide information.

Just skip to the bottom of this PDF and look at the conclusion:

http://www.ub.uit.no/baser/septentrio/i ... /1203/1143

And a little more:

http://www.angusadventures.com/arctic/sleepingpad.html
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Hex7f7f7f
*
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:38 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by Hex7f7f7f » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:23 am

Blackdog wrote: Just a little reindeer hide information.

Just skip to the bottom of this PDF and look at the conclusion:

http://www.ub.uit.no/baser/septentrio/i ... /1203/1143

And a little more:

http://www.angusadventures.com/arctic/sleepingpad.html
Blackdog, thanks for those links. A couple personal experience questions about the hides though... how much does yours weigh? and how do you pack it?

User avatar
riverjoe47
* * * * *
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: What ??
Location: glacier lakes Northern In. So. Mi.

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by riverjoe47 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:04 am

Blackdog wrote:
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:
Hex7f7f7f wrote:
xxxDarksidexxx wrote:blackdog

great trip as always! i really like the upside down fire action. that pic of you standing there is classic! i always enjoy looking at your pics, and love that you always have your dog with you. its funny how animals can withstand the elements far better than we can..... i mean how do they not end up with frozen paws...

any chance we can see some more pics of that raindeer fur, thats really cool. where does one buy a raindeer fur? i checked REI.com and could not find it. :lol:

great trip, and great use of gear! thanks for posting. 8)
Actually, after seeing the reindeer fur the first thing I did was hit ebay for "reindeer hide". I was pleasantly surprised to find this seller has 10 of them for sale :D Now to slip this purchase past my wife...
cool find! and for only 60.00 i would say affordable. i was expecting much more. polar bear would be nice! 8) :lol:

all this reminds me of this song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsFHEK_o9U8&NR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just a little reindeer hide information.

Just skip to the bottom of this PDF and look at the conclusion:

http://www.ub.uit.no/baser/septentrio/i ... /1203/1143

And a little more:

http://www.angusadventures.com/arctic/sleepingpad.html
Caribou also . I wonder if E bay has those too .
Do not bathe if there is no water.
Chinese, Shan proverb

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

twoshots
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by twoshots » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks for putting up the banner.

So, just to confirm.... I just do a write up in this thread for entry? It looks like people are updating their original posts as they compile the pictures and info.

My friends and I have been going out previous to reading this thread but we will be out at least every other week for two or three days minimum at a time. I will take better pictures from now on.

Long story short is we are going out to a 200acre bush property we own and building a cabin with local trees and minimal tools. The challenge is that it is Canadian shield winter and we are sleeping in the cabin as we make it. We are having tons of fun so far and it is therapeutic time in the bush. Two of us just came back from A-stan and another is recovering from a crushed skull and a broken neck two years ago. He cant do any heavy labour or carry his own gear but he is mobile. This is an added challenge but more than worth it to see him having fun.

I'm not sure if this falls under the contest or not but it is related and relevant to the thread I think.

Gear review and pictures to follow.

The bush:

The bush is a mix of soft and hard wood with 150 feet of elevation variation. We have to hike only about 500 meters to camp. This includes a steep climb and also an open river crossing. We made a small foot bridge out of three trees to get across the water.
Image
Image

The Gear:
Image
Image
Image
Bear in mind this kit is spread out between several people.
1. The GB SF axe is indispensable, it just really performs and holds an edge well. It excels at limbing trees with minimal energy expended. It is also useful as a chisel, hammer, etc.
2. The Busse BWM is a big tough blade for its weight. The factory edge was deplorable and not satisfactory for a blade in this price range. With some profiling work it is a quality tool; however, I expect a better edge when I pay this kind of money.
3. The collins machete is a good multi purpose blade, it doesn't excel in any area but like the busse it is a good multi purpose tool.
4. The stihl 170 is a light weight reliable saw, it is efficient and runs very smooth. In a small saw I prefer Stihl and in a large saw,Husky. It is easy to maintain and clean. I recommend carrying a small tool kit including chain oil, bar grease, screwdriver-wrench and files, spare chain. (Depending on the reason for "bugging out" the noise of a chain saw may not be acceptable, your call)
5. The Coleman lantern runs on white fuel and throws excellent light as well as heat. This one has one globe/mantel but you can get them with two as well. I recommend having replacement mantels as well as a spare pump assembly or at least the knowledge of how to pull apart the pump and repair/replace the parts. A protective case is recommended, a small tool box works fine.
6. The winchester trapper is in 44 magnum. It is light and reliable in cold temperatures. Even with liberal CLP it will function 100% after being in -10 to -20c for days. We also carry Remington 870's instead, they are heavier but more versatile. If the temperature is very cold we lubricate with graphite or use less CLP and leave the firearm in the cold to avoid condensation.
7. The gerber is also very useful, no carbide insert in this one so no worries. It is considerably lighter than the leatherman wave. We carry either or as the leatherman is more solid.
8.The fire starter has really earned my respect over time. We carry waterproof matches, zippo's, bics, and the fire starter. We prefer the petrolium jelly dipped cotton balls for starters and wax/sawdust cupcakes to get wet wood to light in cold temps (-10c and below) We wrap in plastic first and then aluminum foil. We use as needed to save time or when the wood is too cold/wet.

more to follow

Image

Our Clothing is based upon the winter warfare training. Clean, don't Overheat, loose and layered and dry whenever possible.
We wear less during the working day and bundle up in the evening.
Synthetic base, Wool and fleece in between, Softie jackets, Goretex Shells. Wool socks and headwear. Much of our clothing is surplus or old school wool.

more to follow.

this is the temporary bridge we made to get in:
Image

The recce: (eagle pack, tubbs 30 snowshoes)
Image
Image
ornery fire,late and wet
Image

The tired pooch:
Image

The sleds: (we carry three day packs and put the heavy gear on the sleds.
Image

The initial lean to shelter:
Image
Image

Limbing more material, these trees were planted in the 80's and are ready to be thinned out to allow larger growth and hardwoods to take over
Image

Firing up the stove:
Image
Image

A friend enjoying a nice cold beer:
Image

The cabin continues to grow:
Image
Image

Tarped in for the night:
Image

more to follow
Last edited by twoshots on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
riverjoe47
* * * * *
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: What ??
Location: glacier lakes Northern In. So. Mi.

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by riverjoe47 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:27 am

twoshots wrote:Thanks for putting up the banner.

So, just to confirm.... I just do a write up in this thread for entry? It looks like people are updating their original posts as they compile the pictures and info.

My friends and I have been going out previous to reading this thread but we will be out at least every other week for two or three days minimum at a time. I will take better pictures from now on.

Long story short is we are going out to a 200acre bush property we own and building a cabin with local trees and minimal tools. The challenge is that it is Canadian shield winter and we are sleeping in the cabin as we make it. We are having tons of fun so far and it is therapeutic time in the bush. Two of us just came back from A-stan and another is recovering from a crushed skull and a broken neck two years ago. He cant do any heavy labour or carry his own gear but he is mobile. This is an added challenge but more than worth it to see him having fun.

I'm not sure if this falls under the contest or not but it is related and relevant to the thread I think.

Gear review and pictures to follow.

The bush:
Image
Image

the Gear:
I don't know about the contest , but I and others are extremely interested in the log cabin and Im sure a thread on just that would stand alone . See my thread on log cabin from a year or so ago . Im still in the log drying stage so I would be intensely interested in what you guys are doing .
Do not bathe if there is no water.
Chinese, Shan proverb

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

twoshots
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by twoshots » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:36 am

cool,

I'll check out your thread. This is not a proper long term log building, this is more of a survival shelter/cabin similar to what the trappers would have made for an outpost back in the day. If you want to mod magic it into its own thread I can continue it there.

thanks

User avatar
riverjoe47
* * * * *
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:02 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: What ??
Location: glacier lakes Northern In. So. Mi.

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by riverjoe47 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:40 am

twoshots wrote:cool,

I'll check out your thread. This is not a proper long term log building, this is more of a survival shelter/cabin similar to what the trappers would have made for an outpost back in the day. If you want to mod magic it into its own thread I can continue it there.

thanks

I wouldn't begin to know how to do that . Im just asking you to please keep a pictoral record of what you are doing so maybe I can suck knowledge out of your brain .
Do not bathe if there is no water.
Chinese, Shan proverb

I never gave a damn about a man who could only spell a word one way .
Mark Twain

User avatar
elkhills
* * * * *
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 3:52 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: An Inconvenient Truth
Location: Bay Area

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by elkhills » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:49 pm

riverjoe47 wrote:Im just asking you to please keep a pictoral record of what you are doing so maybe I can suck knowledge out of your brain .
Careful offerering to suck peoples brains on a Zombie Hunter forum. :D

I am jealous of you guys who get to build log cabins. That is so on my bucket list.

johnnycamp
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by johnnycamp » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:28 pm

Ok, I'm a new member and I think the zombies are already sucking out my brains because I haven't done anything but read these threads for the last two days.
This contest sounds like great fun. You guys are hardcore.

The weather here at 2pm is:
60°F | °C Current: Cloudy Wind: SW at 11 mph 40% chance of thunderstorms and rain, looks like 90% to me
Humidity: 58%Sun59°F | 41°FMon64°F | 36°FTue66°F | 36°FWed65°F | 33°F
Detailed forecast: The Weather Channel - Weather Underground - AccuWeather

That's about as bad as it gets around here.
There is nowhere legal to have a fire here in Sol. Cal. Except on private property, or if I pay 35 dollars a night for a campground. The nearest National Forest where fires are allowed is 400 miles north (my new favorite place). So I am thinking I would go without, since wherever I went wouldn't be a legal campspot anyway and I would need to stay very low key.
My main threats will not be freezing temps and bears, but there are illegal aliens and law enforcement. Which I guess is the real scenario here anyway, if I was in a BOS.
I am also a total wimp so 30F with rain is pretty harsh for me.

O.K. Prep Failure #1. My poor excuse for a bug out bag is spread out over six rubbermaid bins in a heap in the garage from my last camping trip.

Prep Faliure # 2 We have recently eaten almost all the food in the house including anything I had put away for an emergency.
I'll keep you posted. Thanks for alll the great info. This is like Survival 101 online:)

User avatar
FreeRider
*
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:41 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

A Wee Bit Cold

Post by FreeRider » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:11 pm

Made it out this weekend...temps were for casted to sit at a low of -19C....the thermometer read -27C when the sun was poking over the horizon in the morning :shock: . I have about 7 GIGS worth of media to chop up into a short video montage thingy...nearly 4000 pictures were taken :D . Off to the editing room with me, hopefully I'll have something interesting edited up in the coming weeks.

Stoves are mandatory at these temps...would have been a little rough without it.

Image

Keep up the great submissions fella's!
More details, trips and reviews on my blog:
http://hikinglite.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Blackdog
* * * * *
Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:27 am
Location: Off the Grid

Re: The Winter Bug Out Contest! NOW WITH PRIZE LIST!

Post by Blackdog » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:04 am

Hex7f7f7f wrote:
Blackdog wrote: Just a little reindeer hide information.

Just skip to the bottom of this PDF and look at the conclusion:

http://www.ub.uit.no/baser/septentrio/i ... /1203/1143

And a little more:

http://www.angusadventures.com/arctic/sleepingpad.html
Blackdog, thanks for those links. A couple personal experience questions about the hides though... how much does yours weigh? and how do you pack it?
I don't have a scale but will try to get to one, it really doesn't weigh a whole lot. Basicly I cinch it up with a hank of cord and stick it in a Oware rescue me orange sil nylon stuff sack. Here are a couple of photos with a standard Nalgene bottle as a size reference. My hide is not to large but gives good coverage from my shoulders to well below my hips. It is used to supplement the sleeping pad of the day.

Image

Image
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”