Some Guys BoB(no warning for 56k,we all have high speed now)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Some Guy

Some Guys BoB(no warning for 56k,we all have high speed now)

Post by Some Guy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:34 pm

Alright, it's about time that I post my BoB. This is all the stuff that I have collected over the time and time to put up some pics. I know I should have posted this in the very beginning to show how my BoB has progressed. I might just re-edit this later to show exactly what I started with (going to save this first post so I can easily add my first steps of a BoB).
What got me started before I found Zombie Squad -have to give credit to what started me off
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

When you can't run you crawl, and when you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you. - Firefly

Some Guy

Re: Some Guys BoB(no warning for 56k,we all have high speed

Alright, so here goes, I haven't put a FAK in here yet, just need to take some stuff from my actual First Aid Bag and also update my Fist Aid Bag seeing how I haven’t updated since the very beginning.

We start with the bag

Just a normal bag I picked up at Dicks a while ago. 4000Cc. On the outside of the pack are some cheap carabiners, a good climbers carabiner, my small walk pack and a monocular strapped to the chest strap. (also need to take a picture but my gerber LMF II will be strapped to other chest strap) Also not pictured (amazing what you forget to take a picture of) is my hatchet, two nalgenebottles, one plastic and one in stainless steel and a stainless steel cup that fits snugly on the bottom of my nalgenebottles.

Inside the front pocket
Currently just a little wind up radio, a pack of playing cards and some spare batteries

Inside the left pocket
Currently a Silva Techo for recharging my batteries, mask, guyot designs utensils, emergency blanket, inside the camp pillow is a Zombie Squad Flag and a pocket fisherman.

Inside the right pocket

Currently a chain saw in a can, a limb cutter, picture frame wire for snares, a bandanna with 4 tarp clips attached, two 10 hour candles and a pouch

Inside pouch is my small shovel, a magnesium bar/striker, a very cheap limb saw, a small led light and compass.

Inside the top pocket above bag
[Image
Currently a poncho, mosquito net, head lamp, a face mas camo, and small bag

Inside small bag is a map of local area with points marked out, important informational documents, a pen, small journal and money.
Last edited by Some Guy on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:11 am, edited 13 times in total.
What got me started before I found Zombie Squad -have to give credit to what started me off
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

When you can't run you crawl, and when you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you. - Firefly

Some Guy

Inside main pouch
ImageImage
My Swedish Mess Kit

Inside Swedish Mess Kit is a scrubbing pad, soap, oil, flask of everclear, trangia stove w/ simmer ring, guyot design squishy bowls and small bag filled with altoid tin, char cloth and scraps for more char cloth.

My msr miniworks ex and water purifying pills

ImageImage
A small water resistant container.

Inside samll water resistan container is two packs of vitamin C, 3 cliff bars, two beef jery bags, two Rice sides and 3 backs of coco. (After taking the picture I was able to fit a 4th cliff bar)

ImageImage
A small blue water resistant bag

Inside small blue water resistant bag is wet wipes, moleskin, tooth brush, tooth paste, hand sanitizer, nail clippers, shampo, bug repellent, deodorant, bar soap and duct tape.

My hammock with tree hugging rope

My Eureka Solitaire Tent

ImageImage
A small orange water resistant bag

Inside small orange water resistant bag is a tarp with string for tying out and a silcock key

ImageImageImage

Inside of the large green bag is my new Woolrich Parka(review here) and an extra pair of pants (Larger so I can wear it over other pants for extra warmth) and a large green water resistant bag

Inside large green water resistant bag is a pair of heavy socks, regular socks, underwear, thermal pants, thermal long sleeve shirt, bandanna, hat and gloves

on the very bottom is a large 12x12 pan that fights perfectly on the bottom of the bag with two Mountain House meals
Last edited by Some Guy on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:35 pm

The bottom of my pack has loops and I alreay have the straps to attach something to the bottom of it. I am constantly changing up what is on the bottom of my pack depending on the climate. Currently I have my MMS bag, a fleece sleeping bag, and a military wool blanket. Recently I just got a thermarest pad too.

ImageImageImage

My 2L insulated bladder bag
Last edited by Some Guy on Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

Frank

Post by Frank » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:16 pm

why are you putting the food in the water proof container? thats where i would put my electronics, batteries, playing cards. Matches and Bic to start a fire kit (if you think ones necessary)
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

Bakeel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series, Army of Darkness

Post by Bakeel » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:50 pm

I don't know if you carry both the tent and the hammock but I would choose one because of weight and space considerations. Also i think i would take the food out of the water proof container and put it in a dry bag again for weight and space. Good kit, don't forget to take it for a shake down.

Swords of Legend my RPG gaming blog

My BOB

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:11 pm

No sir, we do not all have high speed. 56k warnings still have a place. Nice start on your BoB, though.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

2now

Post by 2now » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Nice kit, what does it weight as shown?
What do you have in your m404 pack?
how many days do you expect your food to stretch out to?

Things to still address:
maps
Communications? [FRS, Ham, AM/FM,]
binoculars?
personal data, $
Self defense
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

omega_man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by omega_man » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:02 am

Good start, but...

-ditch the wool blanket for a poncho liner
-take your food out of the WP boxes, use freezer bags
-fixed blade?
-when you get a chance, swap your thermals and socks for polypro and/ or wool varieties ( I just -spent the holidays were there is snow and family and built many snowmen, sledded, and hiked wearing merino sock liners, ragwool socks, and Merrell ventilators and my feet stayed toasty warm without the magical powers of gore-tex).
-Hammock, tarp, and tent? Pick two
-your compass is going to be lonely without a map
-if you plan on cooking everything with an alcohol stove, you need more fuel. I also suggest denatured alcohol over everclear (keeps me from drinking my stove fuel). My experience yields 3-5 tbsp denatured alcohol per cup of H2O. I pack a pilots flask and use plastic lab pipettes to administer my alcohol to my Tecate and PBR stoves.

Now, I am looking at this BOB more from a camping perspective given what I see. A serious bob still needs some kind of comm and weapons. I'm not saying go for the current tactical fads, but a dedicated SD sidearm and survival rifle (think small game) belong in even the most pacifist of BOBs.
Bold Shirts for Bold Nerds! http://www.onemansurfparty.com/

B35, assassinated 9-15-14.

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:43 am

Poseidon wrote:why are you putting the food in the water proof container? thats where i would put my electronics, batteries, playing cards. Matches and Bic to start a fire kit (if you think ones necessary)
Honestly, I'm not sure. I had bought the item thinking that I would use it for kayaking trips and then just kept putting food in it. Looks like the general idea is ditch the container.
Bakeel wrote:I don't know if you carry both the tent and the hammock but I would choose one because of weight and space considerations. Also i think i would take the food out of the water proof container and put it in a dry bag again for weight and space. Good kit, don't forget to take it for a shake down.
Thanks for the comment. While the tent does take up space, its about the size of a key board and is manageable. I am not sure that I can sleep in a hammok but defently like to relax in it. I have to get out and test if I can actually sleep in it and the comfort level too, to see if perhaps I can ditch one or the other. Again, looks like another vote to loose the container.
2now wrote:Nice kit, what does it weight as shown?
What do you have in your m404 pack?
how many days do you expect your food to stretch out to?

Things to still address:
maps
Communications? [FRS, Ham, AM/FM,]
binoculars?
personal data, $
Self defense
I don't have a fish scale and will try to weigh the pack on a regular scale when I get home.

Inside the m404 pack is a lighter, all weather paper, pencil, compass/whistle, needles & thread, small multi tool, water purification straw, emergency blanket, fish hooks, sling shot band, loaf pan, duct tape, signaling mirror, money, suture & an orange bandanna. There might be more but I can't remember right now.

I only expect the food to stretch out to 3 days max, I have plenty of more mountain house meals but really need to get mainstay bars. As for the things to address; map is cover. It was in the green small bag. Iniside of it contains a map of the area with emergency routes marked out and other important location too. Money and personal data is also located in this bag. Communications I have a simple AM/FM radio, as for self defense, I do have items, just didn't want to post them
omega_man wrote:Good start, but...

-ditch the wool blanket for a poncho liner
-take your food out of the WP boxes, use freezer bags
-fixed blade?
-when you get a chance, swap your thermals and socks for polypro and/ or wool varieties ( I just -spent the holidays were there is snow and family and built many snowmen, sledded, and hiked wearing merino sock liners, ragwool socks, and Merrell ventilators and my feet stayed toasty warm without the magical powers of gore-tex).
-Hammock, tarp, and tent? Pick two
-your compass is going to be lonely without a map
-if you plan on cooking everything with an alcohol stove, you need more fuel. I also suggest denatured alcohol over everclear (keeps me from drinking my stove fuel). My experience yields 3-5 tbsp denatured alcohol per cup of H2O. I pack a pilots flask and use plastic lab pipettes to administer my alcohol to my Tecate and PBR stoves.

Now, I am looking at this BOB more from a camping perspective given what I see. A serious bob still needs some kind of comm and weapons. I'm not saying go for the current tactical fads, but a dedicated SD sidearm and survival rifle (think small game) belong in even the most pacifist of BOBs.
-Yea, the wool blanket was one of my first purchases when I started out. I have never used it besides as a mat on the floor.
-Will take the food out of the container, general thought so far
-Will have look into better options then my current thermals
-While I do agree that I should really only have two, the tent is fine by itself and the hammock needs a trap. A lot of the theory here is two is one and one is none. A little bit of redundancy I know but like I said above, going to give the hammock a try for sleeping and see if what the comfort level is like.
-Map is covered
-I do have some Heet and have thought about using denatured alcohol. Originally I had only planed on using the alcohol stove when times were rough. I love using my Swedish mess kit over an open fire so I am guessing the ratio might be 50% if on the move. The everclear was a little bit of a mulit tool for getting drunk or disinfect if need be but if on the move, having fuel seems like a much better idea.

While I do look at this as more of a camping pack, I do have self defense gear. I did not post any pics or descriptions of it but it is basic, nothing as advanced as some of the peoples load out here.
Some Guy's F.A.K
Some Guy's B.O.B.

Murph

Post by Murph » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:58 am

My general impression is that you have the right gear... it just looks like it's heavy and there's a lot of it. I'd be interested to hear how much the pack weighs empty, and then loaded.

I'd get that First Aid Kit in there ASAP.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Return to “Bug Out Gear”