With an instrument?

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

vahtryn

With an instrument?

Post by vahtryn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Say you had to leave. Would you take an instrument with you?

Honestly I would probably take my mandolin with me. It can boost morale with your group, or people you meet. Can be used for entertainment to get free meals or supplies. Can waste away time when you're bored as well.

I've been thinking of buying another hard case for my mandolin and breaking it apart so I could make a hybrid hard/soft case that could easily be attached to a back pack. They really weigh next to nothing. Plus the extra strings you have with you could easily be used for snares.

Another thing I've been working on getting set up is some sort of solar charger that I can bring along with me to charge a usb device (my ipad) since I write music on it as well. Could be an entire band at a random camp I run across and not be perceived as a threat even carrying weapons.

Hayden Billick

Re: With an instrument?

Post by Hayden Billick » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:36 pm

dude, I don't have anything to say about you topic, but I your avatar is AMAZING. I JUST GOT DONE HUFFING AND PUFFING AT MY SCREEN TRYING TO GET THAT STUPID BUG OFF. :lol:
"If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy
Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

Agent

Post by Agent » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:48 pm

Hayden Billick wrote:I JUST GOT DONE HUFFING AND PUFFING AT MY SCREEN TRYING TO GET THAT STUPID BUG OFF. :lol:
You've never seen that before? Welcome to the internet. :lol:

As for instruments, it depends on how bad you want to take it with you and how bad SHTF. If it's a vehicle-based hurricane evac and the instrument is a prized possession, then by all means take it. If you are bugging out on foot cause the zombies are breaking down the back door, you might want to leave the tuba/cello/Neil Peart drum kit behind. A small/light instrument might be a good morale booster, but I wouldn't bring an electric guitar if it's TEOTWAWKI. :o
"I told him that from what I had observed, it only took three days before desperation and hunger overturned all civilized instinct in a person. He smiled and said I had a bleak view of human nature,and that in his experience it was nearer to four days."
-Far North by Marcel Theroux

Dannyboy

Post by Dannyboy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:50 pm

I got loads of instruments that would come along...
Harmonica, mandolin, flute, violin, nothing like a good jam session to bring a family together. :)

STAR-TAC

Post by STAR-TAC » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:22 am

I'd probably have to bring my bass. Anytime there is a tornado, it's one of the first things into the safe room. It's probably saved my life before, so why couldn't it happen again? But like they said, probably really depends on the situation. For example, If i was forced to bug out on foot, I might have to stash the bass.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:10 am

As if I'd be able to leave them behind.... Probably two guitars and a violin. Possibly a trumpet and a tuba as well. You might think I am kidding. I am not.

Of course we would not be walking either.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:53 am

You absolutely have to bring an electric guitar on your bug out, for at the very least smacking fans / zombies over the head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyK0y02HvVc

Make a deal with the devil, you will be the most kick ass zombie ever.
ImageImage
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:06 am

I keep a Honer Harmonica blues harp in my bag.. gives me something to do on the trail.

I don't think I would bug out with my bass or amp though, just doesn't seem "essential" to me. More room for another firearm or preps if I'm bugging out in my car.

vahtryn

Post by vahtryn » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:24 am

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:40 am

vahtryn wrote:Image
I can definitely see how a guitar would be worthwhile if you were heading to Lost Vegas to be the new "King" in the PAW, but otherwise, I still don't think I would bug out with one. :wink:

One of my favorite movies BTW.

CptSmashy

Post by CptSmashy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:42 am

Do they make a MOLLE attachment bag for a piano?
Fleet Numbers: ZS-0165 & ZS-0166

Hex7f7f7f

Post by Hex7f7f7f » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:30 pm

I would take my ukulele.
I actually bought a a cheap-y uke to take with me when I flew on business trips - something I wouldn't have to worry about too much if it got scuffed and if it broke completely I'm only out $30. I just shove it in the bungee-cord pouch on my backpack and carry it on, it's very light-weight and easy to move around with. Also, its hard not to smile when someone is playing a ukulele.

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:36 pm

A banjo; folding, of course. 8)

"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

ForgeCorvus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quite liked 'Dead Set'
'28 Days Later'
and think that 'Shaun of the Dead' is a great poke at the whole Z-flick thing

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Tperkins wrote:A banjo; folding, of course. 8)

Does that come with a bayonet mount or a tac-light ? :lol:

My brother would be stuffed, hes a semi-pro musician and he plays the melodian (one of these)
This is not him BTW ( its Andy Cutting) I posted this pic so you get an idea of size
I'm English, our Government doesn't trust us to have real guns........or decent pocket knives for that matter
Good job theres no such thing as a Trebuchet licence :D

Winner, PMBoB
LowKey wrote:INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:34 pm

I wouldn't, but whatever. Maybe you've got more of an appreciation for "the arts" than I do.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:46 pm

I keep a kazoo in my GHB. :mrgreen:
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Return to “Bug Out Gear”