My INCH Bag Plus NEW!!!!! Wife's Bug Out Bag!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Did You Find This Thread Useful?

Yes
97%
No
3%

Total votes: 153

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: My INCH Bag Plus NEW!!!!! Wife's Bug Out Bag!

Post by ODA 226 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:42 am

Shadowalker wrote:People have a difficult time understanding this Concept. You are answering a lot of questions, from folks that have good survival training but only really enough to knock out a week or two, or signal flare and rescue out. The INCH system and longer term sustainability is something that the survival crowd and the minimalist crowd just doesnt get.

This tries to cover some of it, or at least the reasons to avoid the minimalist trap. I think you have a great modular plan, and only folks who seriously understand the concept are modular/incremental and have the INCH as level 1.

Both you and Dave Canterbury understand the INCH concept and as you stated more eloquently than I ever could, "...The INCH system and longer term sustainability is something that the survival crowd and the minimalist crowd just doesnt get."

The INCH concept isn't about a 72 hour Bug Out! It's about long-term survival and sustainability.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Shadowalker

Post by Shadowalker » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Yep, I go through this in our families as well. The heads of households are tuned in but they will watch vids and read books and the knowledge is superior for a simple bug out, but then they want to follow through on the choices, and I have to stop them and say you know if your going to be wasting the time and money and practicing the skills you have to direct it towards sustainability.

I got each of us a couple of the poly ammo boxes with the rubber seal for car bugout. They looked at them and said it was dumb because they could buy light cheap packs. I said look, you live in a rainforest. You need dry storage for a lot of items, and you can preload them with dried foods or whatever. They have handles to carry like a suitcase, you can store food or game in them and hoist them up on a rope away from camp. You take the top off and the bottom is a sink to use. The top is a cutting and food prep surface. 4 or 6 can be tied together into a raft to ferry goods via rope across dangerous stretches of water... I could have kept going but they finally got it. But they are having a tough time breaking out of the BOB/72hr mindset and accepting that things could go all the way fubar and not bounce back for several years.

Here is a link for the sustainability trapping and fishing gear sets I'm building for everyone.
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 2#p2419582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Shadowalker on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtwn92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by dtwn92 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Man! 1st I'm posting so I have this as a reminder of how far I have to go to get where I need to be. 2nd great write up! 3rd the lil dude was so lucky to shoot that BAR! Hope it was memorable even a few years after.
View my FAK and My Tactical Facebook page.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

GearJedi

Post by GearJedi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:13 pm

I like it but it screams look at me attack me take my stuff i'm a mil threat. Hide in plain sight.. look like a backpacker

ironraven

Post by ironraven » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:26 pm

ODA, I usually don't buy the INCH concept, but you've got one here that I actually like. I still think that without a preplanned and sustainable BOL you are at a disadvantage, but this is a rational, realistic execution of this concept.

And I'm pretty sure you've got that BOL, so I like your plan "E".

Lot of rereading to do.
"Even if it's only the handful of people I happen to meet on the street or in my home, I can still protect them with one sword."

When a man go no longer speak without malice intended lest he cause offense, that is when truth starts to die.

There are three kinds of man- Man the Toolmaker, Man the Tool User, and man the tool.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:16 am

GearJedi wrote:I like it but it screams look at me attack me take my stuff i'm a mil threat. Hide in plain sight.. look like a backpacker
Hide in plain site...look like a backpacker...and die.

Better to either never be seen or be so strong that no one would ever dare mess with you. Check out this link:"The Myth of the Grey Man":

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=83971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:50 am

On a personal note I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:28 pm

GearJedi wrote:I like it but it screams look at me attack me take my stuff i'm a mil threat. Hide in plain sight.. look like a backpacker
And where's your long gun?

If your INCHing out. You need a long gun. And your not hiding that fact under any amount of civilian gear. So what does it matter?

Better to look like a predator than a potential prey. Better to look like you know how to use that long rifle. Not saying you should look like a mall ninja. But grey man is a myth. With a long gun and a backpack your prey. Simply because you have gear. Color of clothing does not matter. Unless your trying to hide. And then you better have some camo. Or you WILL stick out like a sore thumb once you get to woods/brush what have you.

Check out the link ODA posted. Grey man is truly a myth...
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

procyon

Post by procyon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:19 am

New around here, and only have internet access at work - so I've left the longer threads till I have a fair amount of free time.

This one should have been highlighted.
Very nice.

Your pack looks like an excellent approach.
My pack differs in specifics, (more items to support the kids 'camping packs' they would have to live out of, I prefer longer barrels, our hand saws are from our old chainsaw chains, we pack more med support as both the missus and I are RN's...etc/details), but yours shows a lot of experience in the build.

Bravo.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Spondulix

Post by Spondulix » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Just a quick question ODA.

I am curently planning out my pistol carry, and could use some input. How do you carry yours in your BO configuration, Hip, Thigh, Chest, Shoulder?

Thanks

By the way great thread, I know I have a low post count but I mostly just come here to read and learn, and this is one of the few threads I have read fully.

Bully!
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

moab

Post by moab » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:27 pm

Spondulix wrote:Just a quick question ODA.

I am curently planning out my pistol carry, and could use some input. How do you carry yours in your BO configuration, Hip, Thigh, Chest, Shoulder?

Thanks

By the way great thread, I know I have a low post count but I mostly just come here to read and learn, and this is one of the few threads I have read fully.

Bully!
Here is one option that is popular on this forum. There are several threads about it in the Bug Out Gear section.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 am

Thanks

Bully!
I carry my pistol with a modified drop leg holster. Thanks for kind words Spondulix!
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Spondulix

Post by Spondulix » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:26 pm

ODA 226 wrote:

Thanks

Bully!
I carry my pistol with a modified drop leg holster. Thanks for kind words Spondulix!

Thanks!
Our integrity sells for so little, but it's all that we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free.

wpick

Post by wpick » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:52 am

Great Kit!

I'm curious about your homemade LRP rats. What is in yours?

Cephalotus

Post by Cephalotus » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:27 am

Thank you for showing your interesting setup.

I'm wondering how many trips and how many miles did you have carried it during the last 4 years since you started this thread, how many nights did you spent outdoors and what would you do different today?

best regards
Last edited by Cephalotus on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cephalotus

Post by Cephalotus » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:41 am

aus.templar wrote: You bug out while shit is bad, but plan to return once the shit has calmed down and normality is restored.
INCH implies that it will not, within your expected lifetime, return to normal. Your house is no longer safe (or still there) and you will need to rebuild an entirely new life.
I tend to disagree here.

When people are building INCH bags they usually have in mind to never come home AND stay in "the wilderness".

In my opinion a classical INCH scenario is a Syrian refugee oder someone from Fukushima. What you need to have a good start for a new life (instead of becoming a refugee) are your documents and as much money as possible. The wilderness stuff is not needed in those never coming home scenarios.

My definition for an INCH bag is "I leave home and want to live in the woods for an undefined timeframe". This is why I don't have one but why I have a BOB that will hopefully rise my chances for starting a new life in civilization somewhere else if I never come home.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:10 am

Cephalotus wrote:
aus.templar wrote: You bug out while shit is bad, but plan to return once the shit has calmed down and normality is restored.
INCH implies that it will not, within your expected lifetime, return to normal. Your house is no longer safe (or still there) and you will need to rebuild an entirely new life.
The wilderness stuff is not needed in those never coming home scenarios.
That's a mighty big assumption. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:24 am

Cephalotus wrote:Thank you for showing your interesting setup.

I'm wondering how many trips and how many miles did you have carried it during the last 4 years since you started this thread, how many nights did you spent outdoors and what would you do different today?

best regards
I've carried this setup at least 6 times in the past 4 years and spent the same on weekend or overnight trips. I've further moduleized this system in order to facilitate the establishment of multiple caches if needed.

This system is not intended to be carried for long distances over an extended period, although it can be. My intentions are to load this into my Jeep quickly and be able to establish an MSS if I'm not able to reach my BOL by vehicle. The support modules can be cached and recovered at a later date.

Cheers!
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

chris4874

Post by chris4874 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:58 am

a very interesting thread,can i ask did you remove the "seat pad" from your um21? i found it to be [to me at least bugger all good]also what other pouches do you have on it? cheers

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:47 pm

When I bought the UM 21, it didn't come with the seat pad. Personally, I don't have a need for it either. I added some additional MOLLE mag pouches a FAK and two canteen pouches. The setup is surprisingly comfortable as the weight sets high and is well distributed.
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

chris4874

Post by chris4874 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:21 am

well living in the uk,i have no need for mag pouches [the grown ups say we are not allowed most guns]
i was always taught in the british army, that if it did not fit in the bergen,it was not carried,
but now that iam a "civvie" i find lots of uses for "outside pouches"[lol]
this is a really good thread with lots of good ideas,
although "taught" combat survival in the army[done just about every course NATO had in the 1980s]the idea of going out and never returning is a new concept to me.
so all of this is new,please keep it up

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:59 pm

Thanks Chris! :D
Bitka Sve Rešava!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

Return to “Bug Out Gear”