My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin Version 2.1! NEW and IMPROVED!

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin Version 2.1! NEW and IMPROVED!

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:49 am

After the Bail-Out Bag contest, I starting thinking of ways to improve my Altoids Bugout Tin. I looked for things that were clearly lacking in my tin and concluded that I had a lack of cordage, meaning NO 550 Cord and an ABSOLUTE LACK OF SHELTER! These were the two major deficiencies that I identified immediately and another I discovered later was the lack of a fire-initiating system, but there was NO WAY to fit shelter, 550 cord and vaseline soaked cotton balls in my Altoids tin.

So I JB Welded a second Altoids Tin to the back of my original and came up with this handy little "Ultimate" Altoids Tin! I painted the tins, packed them, wrapped them in 15 feet of 550 Cord and the final product looks like this:

Image

Here is another angle. It's a little fat, but still fits comfortably in your pocket:

Image

Here are the contents of the shelter/blanket module when opened:

Image

Here are the contents of the water/fire/tools module when opened:

Image

Here is everything contained on display:

Image

Contents List:
Survival Blanket
6ea Rubber Bands
4ea Twist Ties
1ea Small Plastic Bag
3ea Vaseline Soaked Cotton Balls
1 ea Match Striker
2ea Altoid Tins
4ea Water Purification Tablets
15 Feet 550 Cord
1ea Water Bag
80 Feet Fishing Line
6ea Fishing Hooks
2ea Fishing Sinkers
3ea Safety Pins
1ea Log Firestarter
3ea Waterproof Matches
1ea Ranger Band
1ea Red Lense Flashlight w/ Flash Beacon
1ea Hack Saw Blade
3ea Razor blades
4ea Finishing Nails
1ea Leatherman Tool
2ea Eyescrews
1ea Bic Lighter
1ea P-38 Can Opener
1ea Button Compass
10 feet Brass Snare Wire
10 Feet Waxed Cordage
1ea Alcohol Prep Pad
1ea Personal Cleaning Wipe
4ea Band Aids
18 Inches of 100 MPH Tape
1ea Room Key to the Hotel Panama :lol:

(Note: I've since managed to fit some Asperins and Benadril in these tins.)

Anyway, I hope you like my tin!
Cheers!
Craig
Last edited by ODA 226 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

User avatar
oldsoldier
* * * * *
Posts: 1033
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:36 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by oldsoldier » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:15 am

I ran into this issue a couple of years ago too. As this was a "oh shit, I lost EVERYTHING" kit, I kept it to a minimum. Then, I thought about it. What if I really DO lose everything (be it in a kayak, you roll & lose your gear, you went out for a walk and something happened, etc)-I wanted to go with something a little "beefier", but still fits in a cargo pocket. I picked up one of the British mess tins. I fit enough in there for an unplanned overnight, with the exception of shelter-but, I have shelter making materials. I suppose I could always put a lawn & leaf bag in between the case & the 550 cord-that would solve the shelter issue.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

t0mills
*
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:25 am
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by t0mills » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:10 pm

I really like that Altoids can setup! Very clever indeed.


One question, how do you tie up the 550 cord so that it doesn't come undone in your pocket or wherever you have it stored? I don't have much experience with wrapping, or all the different knots that could be used, so that peaks my interest.

Mind sharing how you did that?


Tim

BigDaddyJG
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:03 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by BigDaddyJG » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:10 pm

I like the idea but I thought the idea of the BOAT was so you could EDC it. Small enough to fit in your pocket. There are many other cases that can hold that much stuff if not more and even make it water proof if you don't intend to carry it in your pocket. Just my $.02

I may use this idea thought for one of my projects. Thanks for posting.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is not an act but a habit.--- Aristotle

........
* * *
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: ........

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by ........ » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:53 pm

I like this! The reason I never built an altoids tin was because I thought they were too small but I may just clone this, well with my own adjustments.

What I would do:
1. *Try* to fit some quick clot in there (not sure if this is possible) at the expense of minor first aid gear. I am a hunter and a gunshot will kill me. A minor cut on the finger won't.

2. Wrap the fishing line and hooks around the matches in a match book. Hook is safe and secure and you have a back up fire starter. (Credit to Field and Stream for that one).

User avatar
Icemancometh
* *
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:38 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by Icemancometh » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Awesome idea of "welding" the tins together. I hadn't thought of that. As far as that goes I hadn't even thought of just wrapping 2 together with the paracord. I did consider getting a small otter box, but hated the extra wieght. I will have to use your idea as I always wanted some more room in my tin. Thx for the tip.
You might as well change your name to Icemancometh because I own you.

User avatar
oldsoldier
* * * * *
Posts: 1033
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:36 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by oldsoldier » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:42 pm

A quick note on the Altoids "oh shit" tins-for me, and I took this advice from someone else-there really isnt a need for a FAK in there-if you must, keep 2 of them-one as a survival kit, another as a small FAK. Me, I have no medical stuff in mine at all-I didnt build it for that. Its strictly for survival. Is this taking a chance? Perhaps-but, if I am in that dire need of medical treatment, I likely cannot fix it with a couple of band aids. But, thats my personal preference-YMMV.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

User avatar
Shep45
* *
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:05 pm
Location: Aiken, SC

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by Shep45 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:27 pm

oldsoldier wrote:A quick note on the Altoids "oh shit" tins-for me, and I took this advice from someone else-there really isnt a need for a FAK in there-if you must, keep 2 of them-one as a survival kit, another as a small FAK. Me, I have no medical stuff in mine at all-I didnt build it for that. Its strictly for survival. Is this taking a chance? Perhaps-but, if I am in that dire need of medical treatment, I likely cannot fix it with a couple of band aids. But, thats my personal preference-YMMV.
I think I may have to agree with you on the FAK. I had not thought of it before, but you may be right about that. I am going to give this some more thought.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

User avatar
Electricity
* * * * *
Posts: 1446
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:25 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by Electricity » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Shep45 wrote:
oldsoldier wrote:A quick note on the Altoids "oh shit" tins-for me, and I took this advice from someone else-there really isnt a need for a FAK in there-if you must, keep 2 of them-one as a survival kit, another as a small FAK. Me, I have no medical stuff in mine at all-I didnt build it for that. Its strictly for survival. Is this taking a chance? Perhaps-but, if I am in that dire need of medical treatment, I likely cannot fix it with a couple of band aids. But, thats my personal preference-YMMV.
I think I may have to agree with you on the FAK. I had not thought of it before, but you may be right about that. I am going to give this some more thought.
I'd keep the hygiene wipe for, well wiping, but replace the rest with a small tube of super glue.
Official Meat World Spice Merchant
Image

........
* * *
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: ........

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by ........ » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Lord Bane wrote:1. *Try* to fit some quick clot in there (not sure if this is possible) at the expense of minor first aid gear. I am a hunter and a gunshot will kill me. A minor cut on the finger won't.
oldsoldier wrote:A quick note on the Altoids "oh shit" tins-for me, and I took this advice from someone else-there really isnt a need for a FAK in there-if you must, keep 2 of them-one as a survival kit, another as a small FAK. Me, I have no medical stuff in mine at all-I didnt build it for that. Its strictly for survival. Is this taking a chance? Perhaps-but, if I am in that dire need of medical treatment, I likely cannot fix it with a couple of band aids. But, thats my personal preference-YMMV.
Shep45 wrote:I think I may have to agree with you on the FAK. I had not thought of it before, but you may be right about that. I am going to give this some more thought.
Do I see some agreement here? A new train of EDC thought? Perhaps even BOB theory? Skip the bandaids and put in better stuff? I'm going to call this Bane theory. Cover what will kill you. Not the paper cuts.
Electricity wrote:I'd keep the hygiene wipe for, well wiping, but replace the rest with a small tube of super glue.
Why super glue?

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:27 pm

t0mills wrote:I really like that Altoids can setup! Very clever indeed.


One question, how do you tie up the 550 cord so that it doesn't come undone in your pocket or wherever you have it stored? I don't have much experience with wrapping, or all the different knots that could be used, so that peaks my interest.

Mind sharing how you did that?


Tim
1. Make a bite in your cord and place it on your Altoid tin.

Image


2. Take the running end of your cord and wrap from the bottom to the top.

Image

3. Put the running end of the cord through the top loop.

Image

4. Pull the bottom of the standing end of the loop.

Image

5. Tuck your tails in and....Voila! 8)

Image

Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Craig
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Lord Bane wrote:
Lord Bane wrote:1. *Try* to fit some quick clot in there (not sure if this is possible) at the expense of minor first aid gear. I am a hunter and a gunshot will kill me. A minor cut on the finger won't.
oldsoldier wrote:A quick note on the Altoids "oh shit" tins-for me, and I took this advice from someone else-there really isnt a need for a FAK in there-if you must, keep 2 of them-one as a survival kit, another as a small FAK. Me, I have no medical stuff in mine at all-I didnt build it for that. Its strictly for survival. Is this taking a chance? Perhaps-but, if I am in that dire need of medical treatment, I likely cannot fix it with a couple of band aids. But, thats my personal preference-YMMV.
Shep45 wrote:I think I may have to agree with you on the FAK. I had not thought of it before, but you may be right about that. I am going to give this some more thought.
Do I see some agreement here? A new train of EDC thought? Perhaps even BOB theory? Skip the bandaids and put in better stuff? I'm going to call this Bane theory. Cover what will kill you. Not the paper cuts.
Electricity wrote:I'd keep the hygiene wipe for, well wiping, but replace the rest with a small tube of super glue.
Why super glue?
Super glue can be used to close superficial cuts and deep gashes.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4933
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by Dogan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:30 pm

As usual, ODA, this thread of yours is full of win. Well done, sir.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Thank you Quackfiend!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

11b20
* *
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 am
Location: columbus ohio

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by 11b20 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:27 pm

that is tits im going to shamelessly steal most of your packing list
Didn't Pass Mil Spec
Dont Purchase My Shit

Foolish are those who fear nothing, yet claim to know everything.

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:33 pm

11b20 wrote:that is tits im going to shamelessly steal most of your packing list
No worries! Feel free to copy any and all of it and if you can find room for improvement, please post it here.
Cheers!
Craig
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by ODA 226 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 pm

Lord Bane wrote:
What I would do:

2. Wrap the fishing line and hooks around the matches in a match book. Hook is safe and secure and you have a back up fire starter. (Credit to Field and Stream for that one).
I wrapped 80 feet of fishing line around my Hotel Panama key card and wrapped my fishing hooks in 100 MPH tape to make sure I didn't get hooked.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

t0mills
*
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:25 am
Location: Bentonville, Arkansas

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by t0mills » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:02 pm

ODA 226 wrote:
t0mills wrote:I really like that Altoids can setup! Very clever indeed.


One question, how do you tie up the 550 cord so that it doesn't come undone in your pocket or wherever you have it stored? I don't have much experience with wrapping, or all the different knots that could be used, so that peaks my interest.

Mind sharing how you did that?


Tim
1. Make a bite in your cord and place it on your Altoid tin.


2. Take the running end of your cord and wrap from the bottom to the top.


3. Put the running end of the cord through the top loop.


4. Pull the bottom of the standing end of the loop.


5. Tuck your tails in and....Voila! 8)



Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Craig


Awesome!! Thanks a bunch, that really helps out!

Tim

User avatar
2now
* * * * *
Posts: 1182
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:32 pm
Location: back to PNW

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by 2now » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:39 pm

An improvement I can see, is if you have that much container, can you use something different that you could boil water in?
For example, what does a British mess tin look like?

Does anyone know how many ounces this setup displaces?
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by ODA 226 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:15 am

I have another Altoids tin and I'll try to boil some water in it tonight and report back here.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

User avatar
oldsoldier
* * * * *
Posts: 1033
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:36 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by oldsoldier » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:21 am

I wont hijack ODA's thread, but I will post pics of mine up tonight. You couldnt really boil water in mine either-hence the purification tabs :)
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by ODA 226 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:32 pm

oldsoldier wrote:I wont hijack ODA's thread, but I will post pics of mine up tonight. You couldnt really boil water in mine either-hence the purification tabs :)
I've never tried to boil water in an Altoids tin either...hence the water-tabs.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

suhsjake
* *
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:47 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Resident Evil Series
Romero Zombie Movies
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by suhsjake » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:44 am

One word, epic.

This kit is going to be on my new edc bag.
TX ARNG - 11B

User avatar
ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 1715
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:15 pm
Location: Germany

Re: My "Ultimate" Altoids Tin

Post by ODA 226 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:14 am

It is possible to boil water in an Altoids tin without the tin failing. I did it last night over an open grill flame. Be careful because that little sucker gets hot and boils water FAST! This is the only advantage I see in using an Altoids tin vs. an Otter 1000 case, but I intend on purchasing an Otter 1000 and experiment with it also. It may be a while, but I'll post it when complete.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Bug Out Gear”