Darkside's GHB...( UPDATE...THE TRIP! )

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Darkside's GHB...( UPDATE...THE TRIP! )

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:24 pm

well it seems the trend is to post your GHB on its own thread. i suppose it doesnt hurt, so FUGIT! here goes.

this is my trunk bag for the " september GHB contest " which can be seen here http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=68959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im posting up my pack tonight since SHTF will happen one day this week. :wink:

i put this pack together some time back with extra / left over gear. some of the gear was left over from the poor mans BOB contest. some of the gear was picked up cheap, and some of it was free like the gatorade bottle. like a lot of people ive replaced some of my gear with better gear over time. every time i did that the old gear went in a bin. when i got my MOLLE pack i decided it was time for a better trunk bag. so now this bag sits in my work vehicle.

this is by no means the best gear, but the gear thats in this bag works. this gear is also not expensive, and thats perfect for a trunk bag. the reason is that if my vehicle gets broken into and the bag gets stolen im not out a whole lot. even if i could afford it i would not build a trunk bag full of the best expensive gear for that very reason.

more than just a GHB this pack is actually closer to a 3-day BOB. the reason for this is my work takes me a maximum of 60-65 miles from home, but most days im only 5-30 miles from home, and i could be as close as 2 miles... it just depends on what i have going on that day.

here are just a couple pics of the bag loaded up ( its been posted here several times before ) the bag weighs 14lbs 15oz not inc water, which i will talk about later.

SHELTER

1 - 7x9 camo tarp. this rolled tarp inc. all cord, stakes, and carabiners needed to pitch it.
2 - poncho
3 - mosquito net
4 - survival blanket
5 - 45 gal. contractor grade garbage bag. besides the many uses for this bag its main use would be to collect rain water if i was camped overnight, or if i was stopped during the day.
6 - 5x8 3 mil plastic sheet. it has many uses, but its main use would be as a ground cloth for my tarp shelter. this is held together with 4 long twist ties and also contains 8 - 8" zip ties

CLICK ON THIS IMAGE TO WATCH A VIDEO OF THE SHELTER SET UP!

WATER

1 - 32oz gatorade sport bottle
2 - 6 cone coffee filters
3 - water purification tabs
4 - 2lts hydration bladder

i usually have water in my trunk. i keep 2 one gallon jugs in a bin ( along with some other items ) when one gallon is empty i open the next one, and add a new one. the reason i keep water in my work car is that sometimes i get my hands greasy with oil, so i use the water to wash my hands if im at a remote location. ive never needed this water to drink, buts its there if i do need it. if i was forced into a get home situation where i needed to walk home i would fill my containers which is 3 ltrs. i may in fact choose to carry one gallon, but i guess that depends on how far i would need to walk to get home. in FL we have water all over the place...its just needs to be filtered and purified.

FIRE

1 - 4 fire sticks, 2 trioxin fuel bars, large bic lighter
2 - 15 cotton balls, jar of vasaline, 40 water proof matches, 1 weber fire starter, mini bic, hack saw blade and flint from an old mag bar.

FOOD

2 mountain house meals ( the ones with 2 servings ) beef stew and chicken and mashed taters

items in the gallon zip lock baggie

1 cup if white rice
1 pack of spam
4 coffee bags, and suger and creamer to go with them
1 small bag of cookies
2 peanut butter bars
2 trail mix bars
2 packs of peanut butter
3 packs of "energy" jelly beans
3 packs of instant grits ( i no, no self respecting southerner would use instant grits, but i gots to get home dammit! )
2 packs instant noodle soup
3 packs gatorade powder ( mix each pack with 32oz of water )
2 gatorade G2 energy drink
1 5 hour evergy drink
salt, pepper, and hot sauce packs

i think thats about it. seems like a lot of food for a GHB, but like i already mentioned my "get home" could take me 3-4 days depending on where i am when SHTF. hopefuly that never happens as i have no desire to walk 60 miles home.

COOKING

1 - coleman stove ( yeah the ones i stole for 4.00 each )
2 - 5 piece cook set with 2 sheets of tin foil in the pot
3 - LMF spork ( i got titanium now )
4 - small ( full ) fuel canister

CLOTHING

1 - 1 pair of heavy duty work gloves, 1 bandana, 1 digital camo boonie hat ( i got it for like 2.00 and never wear it. yeah i hate digital camo too )
2 - 1 pair of shorts, 1 pair of socks, 1 pair of underwear, 1 shirt

my work requires me to dress business casual. so i would be wearing dress slacks/dockers, and a polo style shirt, belt, and brown leather sketchers.

FAK / HYGIENE

these items are in a JEEP bag that has two seperate sides, so it keeps my FAK seperate from my hygiene kit. the JEEP bag is stuffed in a nylon waterproof bag. besides keeping these items dry the bag is orange and can be used to signal. it can also be stuffed with clothes at night to serve as a pillow. i dont know if you all have tried it, but these bags also hold water!

FAK items

1 - several size bandages, cheap tweezers, hemcon bandage
2 - waterjet burn gel, antibacterial ointment, itch cream, alcohol prep pads, antibacterial cleaning wipes
3 - 2 pairs of gloves
4 - stretch gauze
5 - meds... contact day time cold pills, motrin, tylenol, imodium, tums, multi vitamins, vitamin C
6 - instant cold pack
7 - tape
8 - ace bandage
9 - 5x9 surgical dressing
10 - 2 - 4x4's 3 - 2x2's
11 - moleskin

HYGIENE items

1 - hand sanatizer
2 - tooth brush and tooth paste
3 - sunscreen
4 - DEET bug spray
5 - hand warmers
6 - baby wipes
7 - soap
8 - lip balm
9 - foot/body powder
10 - antibacterial wet wipes
11 - TP

MAP / NAVIGATION

i drive ALL OVER my AO for work, so i know all the main roads, as well as all the back "short cut" roads in my area. i use a map on my laptop every day, so im always looking at my local roads in the areas that i work. this map would help me in the event i cant take my laptop with me ( panasonic toughbook ) so it would help me cut through neighborhoods to find the shortest route home.

1 - local street level map of AO, pencil, 3 sheets of notebook paper folded and stuck in the map
2 - compass, whistle, thermometer, magnifying lens
3 - signal mirror ( from MURPH )

TOOLS / MISC

1 - LED flash light
2 - spare batteries
3 - knife
4 - 225ft masons line
5 - mesh laundry bag ( lots of uses )
6 - NOAA / all hazards emergency radio
7 - multi tool
8 - sewing kit
9 - headlamp
10 - fishing kit and 500 yards of 12lb test line
11 - gorrila tape, mechanics wire, super glue, p38 can opener, razor blade
12 - home made saws with 550 cord wrapped handles

Last edited by xxxDarksidexxx on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Darkside's GHB...

Post by Mister Dark » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:02 am

Excellent kit! One question; why do you have the cotton balls and pj separate? Why not just make up a couple, stick em in a matchcase or film cannister, and be done with it? I know the weight isnt all that big a deal, but if I am shivering in a freezing rain and need a fire NOW, the last thing I want is to have to put things together. Yanno?

Just curious your reasoning on that. Everything else ROCKS! but you need a small axe... :lol:
Last edited by Mister Dark on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:59 am

Actually, i think keeping them seperate is a good idea. The vasoline, and the cotton balls have other uses, when you combine them, you are limiting yourself.

In my kits, I put small packets of Triple Antibiotic Ointment (neosporin) and if I need to rub it into some tender, I do. In the meantime, it is sealed in it's packets ready to smear on what ever superficial wound I may have.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Mister Dark wrote:Excellent kit! One question; why do you have the cotton balls and pj separate? Why not just make up a couple, stick em in a matchcase or film cannister, and be done with it? I know the weight isnt all that big a deal, but if I am shivering in a freezing rain and need a fire NOW, the last thing I want is to have to put things together. Yanno?

Just curious your reasoning on that. Everything else ROCKS! but you need a small axe... :lol:
i hear ya, and there is nothing wrong with making them out before hand, but sigboy nailed it. the jar is only 2" x 1" so it doesnt weigh much. and like sigboy said the two items alone have other uses. so, if i need one i just unscrew the lid, rub the cotton ball in there a couple of times and im ready to rock. looking at the fire kit its probably overkill, but i love playing with fire, so it gives me a warm fuzy feeling inside having all the fire toys available.

if i cant start a fire with that kit, then i deserve to die a slow cold death in the woods... :lol:

as far as the axe goes i could use it, but i cant justify the extra weight for this kit. there are only a few real reasons i can think of to use an axe, and that would be to chop wood for fires, or to chop wood for a shelter, or to be used as a hammer. since im on the east coast of FL it doesnt get that cold, and we dont have enough hard core campers that use up all teh dead wood, so i can always collect wood for a fire, and since the kit has a shelter i wouldnt need one for that.

anyways if i was to add something like that it would be a better wood saw then what i already have in the kit, or a machete.

in FL i will always pick a machete over an axe/hatchet/saw anyways. with all that said i do own a hatchet, but it doesnt get used much.

thanks for the comments! :D

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:59 pm

sigboy40 wrote:Actually, i think keeping them seperate is a good idea. The vasoline, and the cotton balls have other uses, when you combine them, you are limiting yourself.

In my kits, I put small packets of Triple Antibiotic Ointment (neosporin) and if I need to rub it into some tender, I do. In the meantime, it is sealed in it's packets ready to smear on what ever superficial wound I may have.
exactly why i keep them seperate. yeah ointment, provided its petrolium based will work in place of PJ.

thanks for the coment! :D

WhoShotJR

Post by WhoShotJR » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Looks good. I do have a couple of suggestions, though. Add more socks, if you're talking 3-4 days I'd say another two pair. Thin dress socks should work for that. A better/backup compass would be nice. And those gatorade bottles aren't very durable, a Nalgene would be a good upgrade. Consider beefing up your fire kit also, you'd be lucky to start one, maybe two fires with it. :lol:

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:25 pm

WhoShotJR wrote:Looks good. I do have a couple of suggestions, though. Add more socks, if you're talking 3-4 days I'd say another two pair. Thin dress socks should work for that. A better/backup compass would be nice. And those gatorade bottles aren't very durable, a Nalgene would be a good upgrade. Consider beefing up your fire kit also, you'd be lucky to start one, maybe two fires with it. :lol:
all valid points. i figured i could wash out or dry my socks ( by hanging them from the pack ) if needed. i have 2 pair total.

agree a better compass would be a good addition ( but here i go figuring again ) i just need it for general direction, since i know all the main and back roads in my area, and i have a map, and the sun! now, if i had to cross wooded land/scrub to cut my trip down, or shorten my path, then general direction should work for me. but i may add a better one, because this compass does suck! not because it doesnt give a good general direction, it does, but because it sometimes gets stuck and you have to tap it several times to get it " floating" again. bullshit walmart ozark trail garbage! :lol:

dont mess with my gatorade bottle. the NFL uses them buddy! :wink: it was free thats why its there. i can sometimes find the nalgenes on clearence at my local sports store. when i do i will probably upgrade this one. something about paying 13.00 for a water bottle frosts my ass. i only have two nalgenes and they are in my other kits at the momemt.

your right i should add more lighters to the fire kit! :D

thanks for the comments bro! :wink:

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:40 am

THE TRIP!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is a senario that we could face in my AO that could trigger a get home situation. news hits the radio and TV talking about a hostage situation at the nuclear power plant in my county. some are confirmed dead and the terrorists are planning on blowing up the plant if their demands are not met. the power plant is approx. 7 miles from my house as the crow flies.

my plan would be to get in touch with my wife. i would tell her to pick up our daughter from school which is 6 miles round trip through a residential area, and go home. i would also tell her to lock the doors, close the blinds, and get one of my .45's from the safe and stay inside. at this point i would tell her i love her and our daughter, and that i WILL see them when i get home. i know all this would be tough on her as she is now 4 1/2 months pregnant with our second child.

FPL nuclear power plant in st. lucie county

all around my AO there are these signs. next to these signs there is a tall poll with a loud speaker, and trust me they are big ( forgot to take a pic of the speaker ). every so often the county will test the system. the test can be heard all over the place.

the first thing i would try and do after talking to my wife is to drive home. that may, or may not be possible. its possible that i may be able to drive part of the way home, and then walk the rest of the way due to gridlock, as a lot of people would be evacuating. its also possible that i may not be able to drive home at all, and i may be forced to walk the entire distance. its also possible that i get stuck on hutchinson island ( where the power plant is located ) as bridges could be shut down. authorities could block any traffic from coming onto, or leaving the island. so, im faced with a couple of challenges. one, is distance ( which could be as much as 65 miles or as little as 2 miles ) the second challange is water. the shortest distance home may involve crossing water which could shave several miles off the trip, it all depends on where im at when SHTF.

roads could be a mess with check points, or accidents...

gridlock leaving the island...

one of the next things i need to do if im forced to walk home is get out my map, and select a route home. besides knowing most of the roads in my AO i also have a laptop with wireless internet, and a GPS. i also need to get out my GHB, and fill my water bottles. at this time i would also go over some of the items in my vehicle to see if any of it could be of use to me ( more on that later ). while i have everything in my pack that i should need, there are some items in my vehicle that could help me out. one of them is NOT a firearm. my company does not allow me to keep a firearm in the vehicle. about the only item that i could use to protect myself that would be in my vehicle/bag/EDC is a knife. besides the knife in my GHB i EDC a gerber tanto folder. i also keep mace/pepper spray combo in the cell phone pocket on my laptop case for dogs ( long story, but yeah i keep it for mean ass pitbulls! ) my EDC is my keys/button LED light/S binner, cell phone, gerber tanto, wallet with debit card, credit card, and 40.00 cash ( more cash at times but i try and keep a minimum of 40.00 in 5's 10's and 1's.

next i would start my trip home. this could be anything from residential streets to woods/trails, or rural/dairy farms/orange groves, or any combination of these.

my trip for this project was a mix of woods/trails and residential. i walked a total of approx. 10 miles.

this is the hole that the rabbit ran into. if needed a snare could have been set.

here you will see crab holes. they are real skittish, and run into the holes as soon as they see you. i bet a dead fall type trap could be set. you could sit back and wait for the crab to come out of the hole, then set the trap by pulling a string to crush the crab when he comes out of his hole, which they often do. there were plenty of sticks and rocks to set something up if needed.

here is the type of crab that lives in the holes. this is just a little guy that got stuck out in the open. they get much bigger than this, and several crabs would make a sweet ass dinner with some fish.

speaking of fish, there are a lot in the waters in this area, but thats typical of FL. here was a dead barracuda. yeah hes dead, but MAYBE could have been eaten as a last resort. there were a few people wade fishing in the water here and they caught some saltwater catfish ( they may noy be so good to eat though IIRR ) they also caught snook, and some other small fish, probabley mangrove snapper or grunts. the last three fish mentioned are all good for the fry pan.

something else i came accross were these. i wish i knew what they were, but i dont. i will need to research these a bit to see if they are edible. i did cut one and touch it to my tounge and it didnt taste bad, so who knows.

and it wouldnt be FL without some sign telling you there are gators in the water. 8)

more pics of the trails...

in the pic along the bank on the right side there are banana plants. though i didnt see any bananas...

here is some fossilized coral, i just thought it was cool looking...

here i wanted to show how easy it is to start a fire with some local tinder. the palms that i get this from are ALL OVER my AO. in addition to this tinder the same palms dead fronds will burts into flames if you just show them a lighter. the tinder, along with the dead fronds, and pine cones can get a fire going really fast.

here is a pic of the palm im talking about.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW TO WATCH THE VIDEO!

time for lunch. i used half of the MH beef stew. no problems with the LMF spork or cook set, and the coleman stove worked like a champ. i cooked my stew right in the pot by boiling the water first, then adding the stew and some more water as needed ( i like a little extra gravy FTW! ) i seasoned with a pepper packet. the stove ran great even with a stiff breeze, and i was able to turn it down enough to simmer the stew to get it nice and re-hydrated. by cooking it in the pot instead of the bag i was able to keep the rest for another meal. i also had gatorade, and a peanut/trail mix bar. it only took about 5 minutes to cook the stew, and i didnt use a whole hell of a lot of fuel.

i wanted to eat lunch before i moved onto this part of the project, since i didnt know if i was going to end up in the jaws of a gator :lol: .....this could have been my last meal. the water in this area was salty, but gators have been know to move into saltwater. the sign i posted earlier was just up the trail from where i built my raft.

i mentioned earlier that crossing water is a possiblity for me while trying to get home. the BIG problem is that gators could be in the water as well as water moccasins. another problem is that there could be some distance from one side to the other. most canals in the area are on avg. 30-50 ft accross. if we are talking about crossing the intracoastal ( leaving the island ) then it could be as much as a few football fields accross.

so, this is something ive been thinking about for a while. the idea is simple.....making it happen is a different story! basically what i did was get a couple pool rafts. then i added a can of compressed air. with the items i have in my pack ( tape/cord ) i figure i can build a raft, and i did! it just didnt work out so well, so i will need to approach this from another angle. maybe i need an actual fucking raft that i can blow up with a small bicycle pump!

i was able to get the floats blown up, and i was able to get some bamboo for the structure. the first lesson learned was that the compressed air used for cleaning out keyboards has a bittering agent added to it to make "huffing" it not so much fun. well i can tell you that in between waiting for my can to warm up ( which you will hear about in the video ) i blew up one of the rafts myself, and i had the worst taste in my mouth for hours after from the crap they put in there. ill never do that shit again! the second lesson that i learned is that pool floats that have cute young SKINNY girls on the front of the packaging will not support my ugly FAT ass! :lol:

now, even though i wasnt able to pull off some water crossing full of awesomeness i did learn a few things in the process. i only managed to get about 10-15ft from shore before i had to head back. unfortunatly i dont have any video of this, since its hard to hold a camera and paddle a crappy raft at the same time! if i did have video of it im sure you all would have laughed your asses off!

here is the area that i lauched my raft from...

here are the rafts and compressed air...

here i found a piece of 2x4 and a piece of plastic that actually had pre drilled holes in it. i used these items to make an even shittier paddle than the raft!

here is a pic of the paddle i made. i used a couple zip ties from the GHB to hold it together...

here is a pic of the raft tapped together, the paddle, and the bamboo. i used the homemade hack saw from my GHB to cut the bamboo ( not such an easy task, but do-able )

some more pics of the SS Darkside being built!

this was taken right after her maiden voyage...

and yeah i got a booboo from the shity float trip...i rinsed with with water from my bottle, cleaned it with a wipe from the FAK and threw a bandage on it.

here is a video from the last part of the woods/hiking portion of the trip...

CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW TO SEE THE VIDEO!

the next part of my trip took me through a REALLY rough part of town. now, i WOULD NOT reccomend walking through the "hood" to anyone. but im able to pull it off. i think the main reason i was able to walk through this part of town and not get messed with is that im part hispanic, and this part of town is nothing but black and hispanic, sooooo its all about being able to blend into the surroundings. i may in fact even looked like a homeless person. i was sweaty as all hell. i was dirty and stinky from rafting in the mangroves and i had a backpack on. i took my bracelet off and put it in my bag, but my camera did draw some attention a couple of times.

lesson learned. hood rats hanging out on street corners dont like cameras being pointed at them while they are working! in one of the videos i was walking by a gas staton, and a guy was walking up the sidewalk that i was heading towards. he seen me and the camera, and started walking towards me. he actually said " what up fuck N#*&%R " yeah he called me the N word, which was funny because im not black. well i will tell you that i stuffed my camera in my pocket, and started walking away. right about that time a car pulled up to the corner and honked the horn, and he walked over and handed them something. im gonna climb out on a limb here and say he was selling drungs, so i guess thats why he got freaked out when he saw the camera...

here is the video im talking about. if you turn up the volume you may hear what he says...

CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW TO SEE THE VIDEO!

you know, i was very tempted to go into this place and grab a beer!

here are a couple pics and a video. you will see a bunch of guys hanging out in front of this store to the right. i was able to walk by them with no problem at all. there is also a video taken at the same location...

there isnt much to say about the next video.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO WATCH ANOTHER VIDEO!

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO SEE THE NEXT VIDEO!

the last video i took.... i didnt take anymore videos of pics of the rest of the trip home because it wasnt as exciting as the rest of the trip.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO WATCH THE VIDEO!

i had to edit to add the grasshopper orgy! IS IT WRONG THAT I WAS HORNY AFTER SEEING THIS?

Last edited by xxxDarksidexxx on Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

Frank

Re: Darkside's GHB...( UPDATE...THE TRIP! )

Post by Frank » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:00 am

bravo sir! :lol:
you have my vote.
KentsOkay wrote:Love how a thread on hiking somehow ends up with twisted balls and lubricating your body in animal grease.
aus.templar wrote:this thread keeps getting worse... or better, I'm not quite sure

armored_pig

Post by armored_pig » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:28 am

+1 This has AWESOME written all over it! You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:02 am

Poseidon wrote:bravo sir! :lol:
you have my vote.
armored_pig wrote:+1 This has AWESOME written all over it! You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.
thanks for the awesome comments guys! :D

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:01 am

H*LY SH%T! A F@#$ING RAFT!!

Bravo Sir, bravo!
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:40 am

Epic. Win. Darkside.

The raft (while absolutely insane) is awesome. Pure awesome.

I always enjoy your trips, and this one is certainly a new "Top Fave" in terms of the journey and the tools used to get there.

Just a couple of the things I really like about your setups -

1) These are items that are easily availible to EVERYONE. I could go down to Wallyworld and duplicate 90% of your kit with no difficulties.
2) Organization. All your items are placed in easily identifiable packages, most are waterproof, and compartmentalized for the task at hand.
3) You take difficulty in stride with the equipment you have. You understand the liabilities and limitations, and succeed.

I've got a HUGE watercrossing in my journey home. Find Lake Winnebago in WI (hint - it's the biggest lake inland), travel on it this time of year would be excessively difficult without adequate protection and equipment. That said, you've given me idea's.

Next time you go for a water cross on a home made raft, please consider some kind of lifevest. We like your stories too much for an accident to cause them to stop. ;)

NXP

Red Cell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness

Post by Red Cell » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:43 am

Pure awesome Darkside.
The vids are great and your GHB setup kicks ass. The S.S. Darkside raft looks like a winner too.
Thanks for fun!

So far you have my vote
END THE FED

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:00 pm

Dude get a big innertube :) granted your butt would be gator bait in the middle, but I bet your McGuyver skills can find a solution!

Really good post!
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:13 pm

I gotta give you props, not just on the woodsy part, but the 'hood section as well. Being from the Ft.Laud/Miami area, I've been in some of the worst fucking holes imaginable. Now that I'm older, I wouldn't go in one of those places on foot without a full squad of heavily armed soldiers.

Glad you made it out alright (except for your cute little booboo... :lol: )
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:58 pm

No doubt Bill & Ted would both give you a thumbs up on this most excellent adventure. You have set the bar for documentation and crazy rafting.

I'll dito the truck intertube comment - cheap, easy to fill or empty and more likely to be reusable for that second water crossing.

Thanks for sharing.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:50 pm

sigboy40 wrote:H*LY SH%T! A F@#$ING RAFT!!

Bravo Sir, bravo!
thanks for the comment!
Red Cell wrote:Pure awesome Darkside.
The vids are great and your GHB setup kicks ass. The S.S. Darkside raft looks like a winner too.
Thanks for fun!

So far you have my vote
thanks for the comment and support!
TheLastOne wrote:Dude get a big innertube :) granted your butt would be gator bait in the middle, but I bet your McGuyver skills can find a solution!

Really good post!
an inertube will work no doubt. a large one would keep me floating as i have used them before in lakes and springs. only problem is that your legs and like you said butt would be hanging out there for a gator. with that said my "experiment' wasnt the best idea, but i figured what the hell i would give it a shot, as i said i will approach this from another angle. when i do i will post it up.

thanks for the comment!
TacAir wrote:No doubt Bill & Ted would both give you a thumbs up on this most excellent adventure. You have set the bar for documentation and crazy rafting.

I'll dito the truck intertube comment - cheap, easy to fill or empty and more likely to be reusable for that second water crossing.

Thanks for sharing.
yeah the truck inertubes are very durable since we had dogs jumping all over them at the lake and they hold up very well to abuse. you make a good point, and its something i have considered. its possible that i need to cross water more then once, so something that could be deflated and packed down to a reasonable size and weight would be the best option.

thanks for the comments!

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:28 pm

northernxposure wrote:Epic. Win. Darkside.

The raft (while absolutely insane) is awesome. Pure awesome.

I always enjoy your trips, and this one is certainly a new "Top Fave" in terms of the journey and the tools used to get there.

Just a couple of the things I really like about your setups -

1) These are items that are easily availible to EVERYONE. I could go down to Wallyworld and duplicate 90% of your kit with no difficulties.
2) Organization. All your items are placed in easily identifiable packages, most are waterproof, and compartmentalized for the task at hand.
3) You take difficulty in stride with the equipment you have. You understand the liabilities and limitations, and succeed.

I've got a HUGE watercrossing in my journey home. Find Lake Winnebago in WI (hint - it's the biggest lake inland), travel on it this time of year would be excessively difficult without adequate protection and equipment. That said, you've given me idea's.

Next time you go for a water cross on a home made raft, please consider some kind of lifevest. We like your stories too much for an accident to cause them to stop. ;)
NXP
im glad you enjoyed the post NXP!

im a firm beliver in doing something with what you have on hand. this kit can be duplicated with ease no doubt, and while some will say the gear here is cheap and not worth the money there is something people need to keep in mind. i dont care how expensive or "good" your gear is. your gear is USELESS unless you know how to use it. there is no substitution for getting out and using your gear and trying out new things. also, being able to IMPROVISE, ADAPT, AND OVERCOME will save your butt more than any fancy expensive piece gear. guys like less stroud ( and there are many others ) can do a thousand times more with a fraction of the kit i/we carry. so, im always trying to learn and expand on my skill set to do even more with even less.

you do have some challenges with a lake like that. im glad this made you think about that a little. when you come up with a solution post it up so when can see!

life vest?...great now i need to pack, or improvise a life vest! :lol:

thanks for the fine comments sir! :D

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:43 pm

The Highwayman wrote:I gotta give you props, not just on the woodsy part, but the 'hood section as well. Being from the Ft.Laud/Miami area, I've been in some of the worst fucking holes imaginable. Now that I'm older, I wouldn't go in one of those places on foot without a full squad of heavily armed soldiers.

Glad you made it out alright (except for your cute little booboo... :lol: )
you and i used to go into the sames places and "hoods" while we grew up down south, and we talked about that for a while at the campout :wink: . i worked in miami for some time before moving north.

funny thing is i work in and around MLK/25th st all the time, so im no stranger to the area i was in since i will probably be back there on monday for work :lol: . i will be honest i wasnt feeling any love a few times, and i wished i had my .45 on my hip, but that wasnt an option. as i mentioned i dont carry during work, but i look much more "official" so i seem to not get messed with, though i have been in a few iffy situations at times. every day my wife asks me were im worken, and when i tell her i gotta go to the "ave's" she gets worried.

about the booboo. it was touch and go for a little while, and at one point i almost called in a chopper to air lift me to the nearest hospital! :lol:

thanks for the comments bro!

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:21 am

sigboy40 wrote:H*LY SH%T! A F@#$ING RAFT!!

Bravo Sir, bravo!

What he said. Nice GHB adaptation for your local enviroment.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:41 am

Really cool write up of your experience. This is what ZS is all about, getting out and practicing before you have to use your gear or skills. Well done!
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:51 am

Awesome post, great documentation, and props for a good variety of usage of your gear... you even got to use your FAK a bit ;)

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:03 pm

Hall of Fame'd.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Return to “Bug Out Gear”