This is whats in my bag

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

northernxposure

Re: This is whats in my bag

Post by northernxposure » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:54 am

alfred10 wrote:What other types of food should i carry? I like the MainStay b.c they can keep you alive for 3 days each.
mainstays are life boat rations. They're designed to provide a minimal amount of calories to sustain a person that is not actively working (ie, sitting in a floating tub, bailing occationally, and waiting for the dudes in the red helo). With your proposed 120# load, you will burn through those 3600 calories in one meal.

One meal.

Figure most MRE's are between 2600-3600 calories (going from memory - this may have changed), and packing light most take two per day. The more you work, the more calories you need.

Figure that into the equation.

NXP

mantis

Post by mantis » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:11 pm

oldsoldier wrote:Alfred, you posted pics, so I will now eat my words. But, let me critique a little:
Remember, you arent military when SHTF. Yes, military gear is cool, most of it is rugged-but, if something WERE to happen, your primary goal is to GTFO, and get somewhere safe. Highly likely, you are looking at some sort of natural disaster (earthquake, fire, hurricane, etc). NONE of these things will require you to be wearing IBA, or carrying 4 or 5 weapons, nevermind 1000+ rounds of ammo. Dump the IBA shit, dont load up for bear, and your weight drops by 1/3, EASILY. One man can NOT sustain a firefight-two on one, one will lose, due to lack of manueverability. Battle Drill 1A-suppress and move. Alone, you cannot do either of those. In a real world bug out, your firearms will likely be defensive in purpose only-think about it; do you really think that, in the event of a local emergency, they want civilians walking around, looking like the military?
I personally think you are WAY overdoing it. The liklihood of a national collapse where there is no authority whatsoever, it its like the Wild West, are, IMHO, almost nil. Not to say it isnt something to perhaps supplies on hand for (which you most certainly appear to have), but, in reality, you would be moving to a safer location. Carrying too much shit on your back, you're going nowhere fast.
I suggest re-evaluating what you have, and break it down: shelter, food, fire, defense. Keeping to that, you willdrastically reduce what you carry.

I s
Bingo! You have very succinctly stated exactly what I was trying to convey.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

sotik

Post by sotik » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:45 pm

oldsoldier wrote:Alfred, you posted pics, so I will now eat my words. But, let me critique a little:
Remember, you arent military when SHTF. Yes, military gear is cool, most of it is rugged-but, if something WERE to happen, your primary goal is to GTFO, and get somewhere safe. Highly likely, you are looking at some sort of natural disaster (earthquake, fire, hurricane, etc). NONE of these things will require you to be wearing IBA, or carrying 4 or 5 weapons, nevermind 1000+ rounds of ammo. Dump the IBA shit, dont load up for bear, and your weight drops by 1/3, EASILY. One man can NOT sustain a firefight-two on one, one will lose, due to lack of manueverability. Battle Drill 1A-suppress and move. Alone, you cannot do either of those. In a real world bug out, your firearms will likely be defensive in purpose only-think about it; do you really think that, in the event of a local emergency, they want civilians walking around, looking like the military?
I personally think you are WAY overdoing it. The liklihood of a national collapse where there is no authority whatsoever, it its like the Wild West, are, IMHO, almost nil. Not to say it isnt something to perhaps supplies on hand for (which you most certainly appear to have), but, in reality, you would be moving to a safer location. Carrying too much shit on your back, you're going nowhere fast.
I suggest re-evaluating what you have, and break it down: shelter, food, fire, defense. Keeping to that, you willdrastically reduce what you carry.

I s

I agree with you, but I also disagree with you. I honestly do think that a national collapse is very possible in todays world, however as you said one person isn't going to be running around acting like a one man army. Most likely what will happen is people will band together and rebuild society the best they could. You may need to have some guns for protection, simply look at New Orleans for proof of this EG all the stealing and raping that went on in that town after hurricane Katrina, so one or two guns per person isn't a bad idea but have 5 guns for one person is a bit of a over kill.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Ebby wrote:Well I'll be damned...
exactly what i said... :lol:

alfred - you seem like a nice enough guy, and i really like your guns and bag! you have way to much gun, and not enough usefull gear. keep one rifle, one pistol, and the .22 if you want, but get rid of most of that .22 ammo. read through the BOB threads and you will be able to shave a lot of the weight from that pack.

there are A LOT of folks on here that have some great kits, and folks on here are more then willing to help. i suggest you read a lot more. i mean REALLY read a lot more, then ask a couple questions if your not sure. part of your problem is you ask like 10 questions on the same post. slow down a bit, read more, then ask questions.

i would really like to see you post up a kick ass kit with that pack in the near future. :wink:

alfred10

Post by alfred10 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:53 pm

I wont be on foot unless it gets really bad. For most situations, im thinking I will throw my pack and stuff it in my vehicle with normal looking earth tonned cloths. This way I wont be running around like rambo. Once I get to my cabin I will put my cammies on to naturally camo myself. Im not alone since I have atleast 5-10 or maybe a few more people comming with. Maybe a scope and a suppressor on my main rifle will keep me alive longer. I figure any type of lotter attack where they figure out my location will result in me and the other few people im with losing. Three of my guys are ex military. Allready have one guy with medical supplies who is trained and certified. Im designating a job for everyone in the group. My gear is mainly for if it gets bad enough that I have to leave my cabin (I.e. end of society), if my vehicle dies or other wise cant make it to my cabin (about an hour and a half drive on back roads). In most cases I will not even need to walk far with my pack. I was thinking pack as heavy as I can handle as long as I can use a vehicle and be ready to ditch the extras if I cant use a vehicle.

I could put my light essentials in an assault pack for if I have to go small and light. This way I could just ditch the large pack.

Im setting up bags for the prople in my familly. They are all armed but I want to push their shooting skills more.

Best case me and my team will hide out in the shelter of my cabin. I was planning on setting up a one man fire watch at the one road leading towards my cabin. Maybe get a set of FRS radios.
Worst case total break down of society, I can set up camp in the way back and defend it with the few armed people that come with me.

Im going to start looking into food storage for the most common event of being stuck in my cabin with my team. I have a wood stove, a well, and the ability to heat and cook on the stove. I need to get a generator for the well.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I just had a heart attack

Did someone hack alfred's account??? :D

welcome to the world alfred10!
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

mantis

Post by mantis » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Alfred10....you seem to be stuck on the Hollywood version of a disaster/PAW. In the event of a disaster, most of the stuff you have in your bag is going to be useless or overkill. There aren't going to be massed armies of raiders assaulting your postion - especially if you've gone grey man rather than playing dress up soldier and you've properly concealed your BOL so that it is out of site and out of mind. You had better hope that you won't be getting into firefights because if you do YOU WILL DIE as a result. You're not trained in infantry tactics and I doubt that any members of your "team" (whatever that means) is either. Even if you were' you'd be faced with the reality that even a relatively minor gunshot wound would probably prove fatal in such a scenario. xxxDarksidexxx gave you some really good and really valid advice. Forget hollywood. Forget fantasies of playing soldier and engaging in massive firefights to protect your BOL. Read what others have done as far as preps go. Get an understanding of what your real threats and and prepare for those.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."

sotik

Post by sotik » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:04 pm

For some reason this topic reminds me of mall ninja gecko50....

mantis

Post by mantis » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:42 pm

sotik wrote:For some reason this topic reminds me of mall ninja gecko50....
Gecko45 for sure :lol:

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:18 am

Hopefully you've got an ATF permit for the suppressor you mentioned attaching to your rifle at the BOL.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

Jeffcee

Post by Jeffcee » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:18 am

alfred10 wrote:What other types of food should i carry? I like the MainStay b.c they can keep you alive for 3 days each.
I can totally see the use of all those firearms. After eating mainstay for 3 days you will want to shoot yourself in the mouth just to get rid of the taste, That stuff is nasty.

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:19 am

sotik wrote: I agree with you, but I also disagree with you. I honestly do think that a national collapse is very possible in todays world, however as you said one person isn't going to be running around acting like a one man army. Most likely what will happen is people will band together and rebuild society the best they could. You may need to have some guns for protection, simply look at New Orleans for proof of this EG all the stealing and raping that went on in that town after hurricane Katrina, so one or two guns per person isn't a bad idea but have 5 guns for one person is a bit of a over kill.
My national guard unit was down there helping with recovery operations 2 days after the hurricane hit. Raping & looting did happen, but,I ASSURE you, it was GREATLY exaggerated. The ONLY issues they had down there were with renegade police looting the homes of the rich. Almost to a person, everyone else they ran into was grateful.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

oldsoldier
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead got it rolling for me, although, classics like White Zombie are fun to watch as well

Post by oldsoldier » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:28 am

Mantis hit on a point-GSW, without medical treatment, will likely cause a LOT more issues than you think. A bullet can, and has, passed through people without hitting a major organ or artery, hell, sometimes without the people even aware they were shot. However, an untreated, open wound, in a dirty scenario, can cause gangrene, sepsis, and all kinds of other nasties to your body. Think of medicine during the Civil War (where a lot of our current triage facilities, as well as the Red Cross, were started)-people lost arms & legs, due to relatively minor wounds received, because of infection. When a bullet passes through media, it picks up that media-and transplants it into the wound. Dirt, sweat, pieces of clothing-all these get lodged, and cause infection. Without access to medical facilities, there is a REAL chance of life threatening infection. Short advice-the best way to survive a firefight is to avoid it.
Get out of the military mindset-particularly if you have never served. Its not like in the movies, trust me. When bullets fly, people react differently. The thing to do is pre-plan, get to where its safe, and hang out. DONT shoot everyone that comes to your place-thats just a bad idea. And, you gotta bury the bodies.
Feel free to check out our ZS chapter 022 FB page as well. This can be found here

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:22 pm

I'm going to have to disagree OldSoldier...well, sort of. Instead of getting away from the military, I think the best thing 'ol Alfred here can do is grow up and join the military. Can't think of a better way to get his head out of his ass and see what being a soldier is all about in real life. Maybe even do his posting skills some good as well (though that is debatable..... :roll: )

At the very least, we'll all get a break from his inane posts while he's away on vacation in boot camp..... :lol:
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:06 am

The Highwayman wrote:I'm going to have to disagree OldSoldier...well, sort of. Instead of getting away from the military, I think the best thing 'ol Alfred here can do is grow up and join the military. Can't think of a better way to get his head out of his ass and see what being a soldier is all about in real life. Maybe even do his posting skills some good as well (though that is debatable..... :roll: )

At the very least, we'll all get a break from his inane posts while he's away on vacation in boot camp..... :lol:
I agree. I suggested the same thing to him in another thread. Why play dress up soldier when you can very easily enlist and become the real thing?

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:44 am

Thank god I'm a drinkin' man, otherwise this forum would really mess up my top-knot.
:lol:

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”