Kelty Falcon 4000 review.

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NorrisUnleashed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead.
World War Z(I know not a Movie)

Kelty Falcon 4000 review.

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:45 pm

Hey guys, you might remember earlier I had made a thread about my colorblindness and the color of some Eberlestock rucks. I had some questions about Ranger Green versus Dry Earth. The problem was in part due to the fact that, like most colorblind people I have compensated and "know" what certaian colors do. For instance I have figured what O.D. Green and Coyote Brown are for and what they look like. But these Eberlestock packs did not come in these colors.

Well, later I found a Kelty Falcon 4000 online in Coyote for a steal at $170.00

The pack is 4000 C.I.'s according to manufacturer. This seems accurate. I bought this pack to replace a Mil Surp CFP-90, as it was way to huge to use as a normal 3 day Bug Out Bag / Hiking pack. (At least for me.) As you can see I fitted a few pouches on there. The stitching on the PALS webbing seems pretty good. I dont suspect having to mess with stitching anytime soon. (Or shoeGoo as the case with my CFP-90 :lol: )

This is my second Kelty pack. I used to own a red-cloud like 10 years ago. Its still going strong. I actually sold it to my brother in law awhile back when I had some money issues a few years ago. This pack and my old red-cloud were pretty comfortable. The Falcon is better in my book. It was easy to adjust and find my size.

I have not hiked with it yet but I plan to take it around Pinecrest lake few times to give it a shake down. But I did take it around the block and like I said. Its very comfy.

I will update after I take it around the lake.

One of the things that really sold me on the pack was that the top compartment detaches and has a hidden belt strap under the map case. So it can convert to a buttpack. Kinda like a patrol pack. Its really cool.

Before:

After:

Some other cool features is that it has a built in rain cover. It stores in the bottom in a small zippered compartment. It has top and front entry into the main compartment. It also has a second top cover/mapcase that is stowed in a zippered case. This so you can take the top compartment/buttpack and still close the ruck. The scond top cover is also covered in PALS webbing.

So what do you guys think? So far I am very happy with the purchase especially at this price.

Here is a link the manufacturer's site with some info.
http://www.kelty.com/p-261-falcon-4000.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will update after I go have some fun.
Draugrbitr

GunsUp
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil

Re: Kelty Falcon 4000 review.

Post by GunsUp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:14 pm

Nice pack, where the hell did you find it at that price???

NorrisUnleashed

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:33 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Falcon-Back ... 181&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right here sir.
Draugrbitr

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:59 am

I like it. Congrats.

NorrisUnleashed

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 pm

Small update: walked to my moms and back with the ruck (about 3 miles round trip) to make sure that it was adjusted properly. Still haven't done small trip with it as my life keeps getting in the way. :roll: :lol:

Everything so far is lookin good.
Draugrbitr

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:27 pm

I haven't met a Kelty pack that I didn't like, except for that blaze orange external framed one that I used back in my BSA days.
:oops:

Your Falcon looks like it has a similar layout and design as my last Kelty ruck, the Coyote model. The only difference is the capacity, color and the addition of PALS webbing. IIRC mine was around 4500 cubes, which was plenty capacity-wise to hold all the needful stuff for 3-5 day outings.

Good choice man!
Gun-

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

NorrisUnleashed

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:19 am

Thanks gun,

It was your MOLLE+ALICE thread that made me get busy on getting a ruck. My CFP-90 was on its last leg but replacing it was definitely on the back burner. I got to thinking that I really need to replace that thing.
Draugrbitr

NorrisUnleashed

Re: Kelty Falcon 4000 review. (small update)

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Hey all, I know its been awhile since this thread was updated but I just wanted to tell you guys what i still think of this pack. I still really like it. I have taken it on two trips into the emmigrant wilderness with good results. The pack lid that can be used as a fanny pack, although fine as a pack lid, sucks as a small pack. As a "tactical fanny pack" is was horrible and really hurt my lower back. I thought it would be perfect for day hikes out of basecamp but no. I wound up wearing it as sling pack, that was better but still pretty bad. Im waiting on 5.11 rush MOAB 6 for conceal carry and when it arrives I plan too experiment with using it as a pack lid and then using it as a day hike option.

Again the main pack, awesome. Held up to me beating it up on the trail a bunch of times. Its comfortable and stays where you adjust it. I cant stand stopping on the trail to mess with straps. Its also awesome as luggage as I have ran the airport twice trying to make a flight while others were struggling with suit cases. All in all I would say good 2 go with the exception of the fanny pack.
Draugrbitr

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Long term update! One of the few truly valid reasons for necroing a thread, IMHO.

Thanks for reporting back to us, NU.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Good job NU.

Some more details, if you have any, on using the lid as a fanny pack? Like did you dial down the problem?
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

NorrisUnleashed

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:32 am

Just shitty. Usually a fanny pack is wide and slim. This thing sticks out almost as far as it is wide. Constantly pulling on your belt line. Better as a sling but still shitty. Like I said, I plan on replacing it with a MOAB6 sling pack attached with that rush tier strap system. Hopefully it will work better. It should also be mentioned that I also have a kelty peregrine day pack as my current edc. Maybe when I get the MOAB 6 I will fix that pack on somehow. I'll figure it out. But it will work eventually.
Draugrbitr

Return to “Bug Out Gear”