BOAT (Bug-Out Altoids Tin)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:19 am

Damn, that sucks. Hope you had insurance.
Does anyone use the old school bandaid tins?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Doctor_Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Doctor_Zombie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:35 am

Not a bad setup...

Field and Stream BOAT

Doctor Z.
Doctor_Zombie was formerly Doctor Z.! I fracking changed it.

BUY MY BOOKS! NOW AVAILABLE ON KINDLE!
Read my blog!!
GunDown wrote: BRUCE CAMPBELL IS A GOD.... HE IS THE ONE TRUE LORD OF FILM. HIS HOLY TRINITY RULES ABOVE US ALL! AS RAMI STANDS TO HIS RIGHT AND ROMERO TO HIS LEFT HIS WILL IS INFORCED BY THE ANGEL OF VENGENCE KEVIN MOTHERFUCKING SMITH!

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:42 pm

Jeriah wrote:Split shot lead sinker: good idea; will buy some when I buy more fishhooks.

Rope as tinder: I will try burning a piece of a few kinds and see how it works. I was excited about the dryer lint idea, but my experiments were disappointing. The standard to beat, right now, is my MRE napkin.
You want Jute or Hemp cord for this. Get it in the craft section of Walmart.
Jeriah wrote:
Water purification tablets: Good idea; actually, I meant to list that under "planning to add." The idea would be that worst, worst case, I could fill the condom with river/lake water and throw in a tablet.

Signal mirror: I could just polish the inside of the altoids tin or the lid and use that; I'm not sure how well it would work, though.

Needle and thread: good idea. Will add this.

Waxed floss: I assume this is as sewing thread (for which it's quite awesome); is this right? I have found it to be stronger than most thread, so might throw some in for clothing repair.
I think this stuff is strong enough for shelter building.
Jeriah wrote:
Razor blades: also a good idea

Magnifying glass: not really sure what use it would be; I mean, yes, starting fires, but I've got matches, so it'd be redundant. I'm in favor of redundant means of firestarting, absolutely, but it's got to be really compact, or it'll take the place of something else I could carry.

Piece of hacksaw blade: not a terrible idea, as an alternative to the wire saw. Ought to do a comparison test sometime. Bulk, and cutting power.
This is also useful as a 'striker' for a fire steel(the ones that come with most fire steels are junk). Also, sharpen one end for an extra blade. Do not sharpen the other edge, as you cannot hold it safely to saw with.
Jeriah wrote:
Mini Leatherman/other Multitool/mini swiss army knife: I will keep my eye open for one. This would definately be the bulkiest item in the kit, so it's got to be just right, no useless crap.

Band aids: Is it just me, or is any injury that will be okay with a band-aid, will be okay without a band-aid? I understand the idea of keeping dirt out of the wound, and keep you from bumping it...yeah, now that I say that, you're right, a band-aid or two, and an antiseptic wipe wouldn't be a bad idea. Hate to have a little cut get infected. Good call.

Mini-flashlight: have been keeping my eye out for one that will fit, without displacing too much other gear.

Safety pins: Seem maybe useful, but since I'm trying to keep this to the bare minimum (anything I put in takes the place of something else, obviously), what would they be used for? I know you can use them as fishhooks, but I'm just packing fishhooks, which are smaller. They can be folded up in a piece of paper or something, to keep them from poking anything, but the tin keeps them from poking me.
You forgot about emergency clothing and equipment repair, until you can stop and do a better job.
Jeriah wrote:
Paper clips, Q-tips, toothpicks: what for? I mean, in terms of critical, last resort survival; obviously they are nice things to have day-to-day.

Bottle of iodine or rubbing alcohol: I think a few water purification tablets and an antiseptic wipe would be more compact. I'm not sure what kind of bottle I'd use. Something with a dropper, I'd think...ooh...like the little plastic squeeze-dropper those "Ice Drops" breath freshener come in! That would work great! And, since I've eaten all my altoids to make room in the tin, I can freshen my breath with them in the mean time, to empty the little bottle. Awesome. Great idea.

Pencil and paper: I can see there being uses for this. Small golf pencil and a few sheets of folded paper (which could also be used as tinder).

Packet of sugar or jolly rancher: I see the idea of "super-duper emergency food item" for energy. A sugar packet is a good place to start. Any other ideas?

Cracker jack compass: great idea. I don't eat much Cracker Jack, though. Have to figure something out about that one I guess.
The SAS compass is the best TINY one, but it is EXPENSIVE!!!
Jeriah wrote:
Map of local area: good idea, however, seems too generalized to keep it in a super-backup plan kit, since you never know exactly where you're going to be.

Aspirin: I've never found aspirin to make a difference between functionality and non-functionality. If I've got a headache, it seems to be an annoyance, not debilitating. Hate to get my aspirin mixed up with my water purification pills. Any other opinions about aspirin? Also, what about a few caffeine pills?

Packet of salt: good idea. I have left over from an MRE, I'll add that. For consumption along with water, if available, during periods of exertion.

$50 bill: ideally, yes. In my present situation, I'd rather have $50 worth of gear I'll use now. There is some good opportunity to double up roles here though: a few bills could be useful, even small bills, because if you can't spend 'em, you can use them as tinder.

Shoe polish tin: good alternative. My altoids tin is the round kind, not the rectangle kind, so it's very similar to a shoe polish tin.

Tin foil: Good container to boil water in, I've heard. Will consider it.

Saran wrap: what for?

Lots of monofilament: good idea, I plan to add some more to mine.
You might try some 'spider wire' fishing line too, just be careful, because it is VERY strong.
Jeriah wrote:
Piece of paper with a credit card number on it: damned good idea. A calling card numner, in case you find a payphone, would be good too.

GREAT IDEAS, guys. Very helpful. Thanks.

Outsider

Post by Outsider » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Slip some water purification tablets in there, if you can. You won't be able to boil water with that set-up.
"Went the day well?"

By Outsider_XT at 2007-08-21

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Post by Ricky Romero » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:13 pm

Katadyn Micropur Forte tablets come in blister packs as opposed to those bulky little brown bottles, perfect for a BOAT. They also won't make your water taste like iodine, but if you're drinking out of a condom, i doubt that the taste of your water is a pressing issue.
I survived Zombie Con 2009!

Grace

Post by Grace » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:16 pm

Here's mine, completely assembled, and strategically sandwiched with duct tape.

Here's it opened; I put the first aid and money up top, because if I need either, chances are I'll need them fast.

And here's all the stuff underneath it.

Contents:

2 3&3/4" hacksaw sections
2 Needles w/lots of thread wrapped around them
2 Extra-large safety pins
12"x45" Tin foil
Extra batteries for the flashlight on my keys
1 Mini-Bic wrapped w/duct tape
10 Windproof waterproof matches w/striking paper
2 Small candles
6-8 Cotton balls, sealed in two straw sections
2 3x4" Gauze pads
5 Butterfly closures
2 Generic painkillers, sealed in straw section
4 Immodium
1 $20 bill, 2 quarters
30" Duct Tape cut into 3&3/4" sections
2 Heavy-duty rubber bands (wrapped around outside)
I think a good gift for the President would be a chocolate revolver. And since he is so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him real quick and give it to him.

IllicitDreams
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most anything Romero, Shaun Of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, you know the basics...

Post by IllicitDreams » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:12 pm

Thanks for bringing this thread back... it reminded me that I need to get pictures of mine.

I ended up "upgrading" from the standard Altoids tin a bit, and used a small Otterbox. Giving me almost double the room in and only taking up slightly more space.
Last edited by IllicitDreams on Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Politenessman

Post by Politenessman » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:40 pm

I used mine again this weekend.
I was at a party and someone had an allergic reaction to a cat. Benedryl was requested and dispensed.

I have also upgraded from the altoids tin to a small black belt pouch. This has allowed me to add a few more band aids, a piece of 2x2 gauze, a pair of non latex gloves and a CPR mask. I've also upgraded my flash light from a small LED light to a Mag Lite mini.
British by birth, American by choice.
Bespoke shooting accessories Retro Tactical - Get Yours here!

Capt Cook
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by Capt Cook » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:18 am

Don't forget to seal the kit against water by wrapping some electrical tape around the cover edges. This way you also have some tape with you & it doesn't take up any space.
I like the idea of carrying a few of these with specific purposes in mind.
You can make one for Survival, another for an FAK, one for Fire & Light.
Each one would have a few other things in it to fill in the spaces. It doesn't hurt to have a small food item in each one, or a bandaid(the antibiotic type are best) or even some matches. You can even print up a mini-map & glue it inside the lid of one.
With 3 of these you would be pretty well set & if you lose one you still have some, a little bit, of each type of kit in the other.
Don't forget to throw in a Space Blanket if space permits. It has more uses than just being a blanket, like: carrying/holding water, shelter from rain, signaling, etc...
The best thing about making your own kit is that you know what you need in your area & what is going into it. Some of those "Canned Kits" you can buy are real crap & don't have the stuff you want or need for where you are at. Also, stay away from the ones that you can't re-seal like the Sardine Can ones.
Friends help you move.
Real friends help you move bodies!

IllicitDreams
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most anything Romero, Shaun Of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, you know the basics...

Post by IllicitDreams » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:16 pm

So as I said I'd post some pics of my "BOAT"

I upgraded to a Otterbox instead of the Altoids tin, as the Otterbox is waterproof, and guaranteed leak proof to 110ft.

Kit all closed up:

Kit Opened:

Kit Contents:

Contents of the kit:
1 SAK
1 1qt Ziploc bag for water storage
1 Small Multitool
1 Survival Whistle
Small Compass
20ft. 550 Paracord
5 Strike Anywhere Matches
2 Relighting Candles
3 Cotton Balls
20ft Snare Wire
30ft Fishing line
4 Fish Hooks
4 Sinkers
2 Lures
1 Teabag
1pkg Sugar
2 Bullion pkgs. (1 Beef, 1 Chicken)
Water Purification Tabs (4 Potable Aqua Iodine, 4 PA+ Tabs to remove Iodine taste)
1 LED Light
3ft Duct Tape
2 Motrin
2 Benadryl
2 Tylenol
2 Asprin

Capt Cook
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by Capt Cook » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:25 pm

IllicitDreams wrote:So as I said I'd post some pics of my "BOAT"

I upgraded to a Otterbox instead of the Altoids tin, as the Otterbox is waterproof, and guaranteed leak proof to 110ft.

Contents of the kit:
1 SAK
1 1qt Ziploc bag for water storage
1 Small Multitool
1 Survival Whistle
Small Compass
20ft. 550 Paracord
5 Strike Anywhere Matches
2 Relighting Candles
3 Cotton Balls
20ft Snare Wire
30ft Fishing line
4 Fish Hooks
4 Sinkers
2 Lures
1 Teabag
1pkg Sugar
2 Bullion pkgs. (1 Beef, 1 Chicken)
Water Purification Tabs (4 Potable Aqua Iodine, 4 PA+ Tabs to remove Iodine taste)
1 LED Light
3ft Duct Tape
2 Motrin
2 Benadryl
2 Tylenol
2 Asprin
Nice kit & I do like the Otterbox.
I do have a couple of suggestions for you though.
First, I don't see an Emergency Space Blanket on your list. I highly recomend having one & they have multiple uses.
Second, I would take the cotton balls & permiate them with some vasaline, or Neosporin I hear works just as well & it serves as medicinal as well. Then store them in a seperate little baggie.
Third, if you have room for it, I personally prefer a tea-lite candle over the re-lighting b-day ones. It will last a lot longer & give better light.

BTW, where did you get the mini multi-tool & what brand is it? I like the look of it better than the el-cheapo one I have on my keyring
Friends help you move.
Real friends help you move bodies!

IllicitDreams

Post by IllicitDreams » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:02 pm

Capt Cook wrote:
Nice kit & I do like the Otterbox.
I do have a couple of suggestions for you though.
First, I don't see an Emergency Space Blanket on your list. I highly recomend having one & they have multiple uses.
Second, I would take the cotton balls & permiate them with some vasaline, or Neosporin I hear works just as well & it serves as medicinal as well. Then store them in a seperate little baggie.
Third, if you have room for it, I personally prefer a tea-lite candle over the re-lighting b-day ones. It will last a lot longer & give better light.

BTW, where did you get the mini multi-tool & what brand is it? I like the look of it better than the el-cheapo one I have on my keyring
The cotton balls I haven't replaced just yet, I have a baggie full of vaseline soaked cotton balls. I just haven't replaced the ones in the kit.

I'd put the emergency blanket in but there isn't room for it unfortunately.

As for the candles... they aren't for a light source, it's more for a failsafe on a firestarter, as if they get blown out it will relight.

The mini multi-tool, came with some pouch I bought at a clearance store for Wrangler outdoor wear. I think I paid $2 for it a mesh pouch, and a notebook holder.

Thanks for the suggestions.

milesdzyn

VOJO Energy Mints container with built in mirror

Post by milesdzyn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:19 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread for this.

Don't know if this is of any intrest but I just found a new container for a Mini-BOAT. VOJO energy mints sold at Target stores. The case is plastic but molded with a steel hinge pin for the lid and pretty tough. They put a mirror in the lid, don't know why, about 2.75 x 1.75 x .5" take away some for material thickness and the inside is really small. Just a diffrent container and challenge.

Miles

DryGrain

Post by DryGrain » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:10 pm

olaf_yahoo wrote: Image
What does that say under Survival Instructions? "Step One: Assess yourself and your compasses" ?
Gerry Agnosia wrote:Zombie Squad: A lot of us are losers. Shut up.
Valarius wrote:War is Peace. Ignorance is Strength. Cake is Pie.
SKS, .45LC, Cheesecake

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:20 am

Check yourself and your companions???

I wondered where this thread got to. I remember this being one of the first things I read here, back when I was a lurker. I've gotta make one of these.

BTW, I saw a giant altoids tin that was sold a Sam's Club at one time. It's huge. I may use it as a BOAT for my BOB, or for small BOBs for my cars. I'll post a pic of it, if I can find it.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

waterborne

Post by waterborne » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:32 pm

Here's mine.

contents are

* 5 fishhooks enclosed in the electrical tape
* 3 razor blades inclosed in tape
* a folding knife
* 5 feet of duct tape
* a one foot square of HD tin foil
* 2 feet of electrical tape (to seal the can)
* a mini bic
* an alchohal prep (fire starter)
* 10 feet of 550 cord ( the inner cords do work with the hooks I have)
* a nitrile glove with a twistie tie (for water, more durable than a condom)
* a peppermint (to be replaced with 2 bulion cubes)

What do ya'll think?[/img]]
Heart beats, air goes in and out, and O2 is good.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:02 am

Spiderwire fishing line is good, it can be used to sew as well.
I have a freezer ziploc bag to use as an emergency canteen.
Something I haven't heard anyone else mention...A SPARE HOUSE KEY. If all you have is your BOAT, then what makes you think you still have your keys or can get in quickly/quietly when you get home?. You may not want to kick your door in or break a window. It can also be used to cut...depending on the key.

IllicitDreams

Post by IllicitDreams » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:30 am

SevenMag4X4 wrote:Spiderwire fishing line is good, it can be used to sew as well.
I have a freezer ziploc bag to use as an emergency canteen.
Something I haven't heard anyone else mention...A SPARE HOUSE KEY. If all you have is your BOAT, then what makes you think you still have your keys or can get in quickly/quietly when you get home?. You may not want to kick your door in or break a window. It can also be used to cut...depending on the key.
The spare house key is a good idea. Might even put in a spare car key.

Nexy

Post by Nexy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:52 pm

DryGrain wrote:
olaf_yahoo wrote: Image
What does that say under Survival Instructions? "Step One: Assess yourself and your compasses" ?
Heh, I wish I'd spotted this earlier, I was in BCB (in Cardiff) yesterday, I could have asked! Has anyone tried the Web-Tex survival tins?
ZSC:010- UK Chapter

LittleButMighty

Post by LittleButMighty » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Here's my BOAT:
Mini Bic Lighter
Two Birthday Party Candles
Pocket Knife (Really crappy knife. will replace it with SwissChamp)
Sugar Packet
Tin Foil
12 in. Duct Tape
Emergency Money (5.75)
Needles
Iodine Bottle (Ice drops bottle, no iodine yet tho)
Folded Bag
BandAids
Bunch of different types of Advil (flu, cold, regular painkiller, allergies)

Here's what im planning to add:
Iodine (to put in the bottle)
Wire
Paracord 550
Fishhooks and spider wire fishing line
Fishing Tackle Kit (It's put into a little tube. Don't believe it could work? Look here: http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstre ... _2,00.html )
20mm AA liquid filled Compass
Photon Micro-Light II
Wiresaw
Salt Packet
Signal Mirror
Safety Pins
Chapstick/Lipbalm (planning on taking the actual balm of the stick and squishing it into a mini bag)
Whistle

Will prolly get compass, micro-light, whistle, wiresaw, and paracord from here: http://www.therangerdigest.com/ Will also prolly ditch the lighter and get his mini-four-finger-fire starter.

Any comments? suggestions? lemme know

LittleButMighty

Post by LittleButMighty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:51 pm

O, and i forgot to mention- I'm gonna trade in the Altiods tin 4 an otterbox. I'll go with the otter cuz its waterproof and crushproof, and not all that much bigger than the toids, so it doesnt take up much room.

IllicitDreams

Post by IllicitDreams » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:38 pm

LittleButMighty wrote:O, and i forgot to mention- I'm gonna trade in the Altiods tin 4 an otterbox. I'll go with the otter cuz its waterproof and crushproof, and not all that much bigger than the toids, so it doesnt take up much room.
That's what I went with for mine.

Stonkey

fish hook idea

Post by Stonkey » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:30 pm

get one of the little boxes of matches and put the fishing hooks and sinkers in there, maybe a couple of other small things that don't need to be rolling around i think it is better then having them loosely in the tin, OR use the book of matches and a piece of tape to tape the hooks to in flap under the matches, again so the hooks are not lose, OR taping the hooks and needles to the top of the tin, and maybe wrapping the snaring ware on the outside freeing up some space on the inside, just a couple of thoughts

Veritas

Post by Veritas » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:48 am

My camera works! I can't wait to post my FAK, it's the best thing I have. Until then, enjoy my B.O.A.T.:

The tin is something I picked up at a craft store. It was supposed to hold cookies or candy or something. This is what is inside:

Fire:
2 birthday candles, wrapped in foil
1 vaseline soaked length of twine (works surprisingly well, its terrible twine) wrapped in foil
1 box of matches, I dripped wax on them to make them waterproof

Tools:
Automatic Fishing Reel
Fishing Lure and pieces of styrofoam for float
Cheapo Wire Saw
Safety Pins
Needle and thread in tin foil
Dental Floss in tin foil
12 ft. Twine
Ziploc Bag
Large Square Tin Foil

First Aid:
3 Band-Aids
2 Alcohol Preps
Triple Antibiotic Ointment
Allergy Pills
Painkillers in tin foil

Food:
Tea Bag
Honey Packet
Soup Packet
3 Seasoning Packets
Chewing Gum
Water Purification Tablets

So, I realize that half the things in here are un-necessary, cheap, etc. but I had a lot of fun making the thing. Also, in defence of the soup packet and seasoning packets, have you guys ever tried wild game? Goose is really strong in my opinion, and having some sort of spice to sprinkle on it sure makes things go down better. I will probably add duct tape at some point, but I am not too concerned because if TSHTF, I will have my B.O.B. anyway, and this tin will just be extra.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

Return to “Bug Out Gear”