Budget Tac-light

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Budget Tac-light

Post by The Highwayman » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:23 pm

Just thought I'd post up about a nice little light I ended up putting togther. Full disclosure- I am an admitted lightwhore, and have many different lights, from Magligtes and Husky "emergency" lights stashed in every room, to several Surefires and Streamlights. I really love a well made, BRIGHT light, and am a SF fan at heart. That said, after aquiring several, I just can't stomache spending that much on lights, unless they are specifically needed.

Now, I have in the past posted about some LED drop-ins that I bought from DealExtreme, HERE

They work great as replacement bulbs in my SF G2, and 6Ps; I have never had a problem with them, and used to use them on a daily basis (now I regularly switch between several different lights). PLUS, they are infinitely less expensive than the SF brand drop-ins, so you can buy several extras just in case.

Which leads me to my next point. After using a few in my flashlights, and giving a few away as back-ups when I sold a couple of my lights here in the past year, I still had several laying around, not being used. So, I had been on the lookout for a use for them for awhile.

Then a couple of weeks ago I was bored and poking around evilbay, when I stumbled across a good find. It was the body of a knock-off SF-type aluminum flashlight, but without a bulb. It was this one -HERE. It was cheap enough (and I like the crenelated head) that I decided to give it a shot. The one complaint I have is that it came from Hong Kong, and took over 2 weeks to arrive. But hey, it was free shipping, so no big deal.

Well, when it got here I eagerly (I did say I am a lightwhore, didn't I? :lol: ) ripped open the package to take a look. The body seems to be very well made, and even had o-rings in the detachable sections. Not mention, the crenelllated head could do some real damage in a defensive situation.

So, I grabbed one of my spare LED drop-ins, and proceeded to put together. I dug up some batteries, and took it for a test run. I must say, I was pleasently surprised! The light has a tailcap clicky, and actually has a high and low mode. These drop-ins have proven to be very bright, and it's nice to have a low option in this package, for those times a blinding brilliant light isn't needed. It has a comparitive throw and spill to the real SF LED bulb (I bought a SF 6P LED awhile back), not to mention the lumens appear to be as bright if not a tad brighter than the SF bulb. So far, they have held up physically just as well to heavy use.

So, once I saw how well the body is constructed, and with the experience I have with the LED drop-ins, I figured I'd post about it on here. I figured that some might be interested in a "no-name" taclite, for a great deal cheaper than the "real deal", that I have had great experience with so far. Unfortunatley, I don't have any pics right now, but will try to get some in the next day or so.

IMO, for the $21.00 and change (both items have free shipping), these are a great deal. As well as a hell of a lot easier on the wallet. Which, at least in my case, is good for one's health as well. Given the fact that my wife has promised bodily harm to me if I bought another $50.00 + Flaslight...[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Re: Budget Tac-light

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Nice find! I just may have to splurge on that one next pay check. I have a bulb and reflector set up that would work great in that unit.

I also have purchased some of those conversions from DX and have to say they work extremely well.

BTW, Highway, I must express my simulated anger toward you. Ever since you posted that link to DX, I have ordered something from them every pay check. I can't stop. How could you be so cruel? Why would you do such a thing to a fellow "lightwhore"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, DX has tons of interesting items and if you are willing to put up with a long delivery time compared to having to pay high shipping charges, the prices are worth in IMHO.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Richter

Post by Richter » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:31 pm

so technically, you buy the battery assy. + the Cree Q5 and you have a Surefire imitation with 200 lumens? If so, that's a great find and I might just buy a couple of them.

now a question, does the Q5 have a bluish tint to it? from the pictures of your link it sorta does. Also, how's the throw and flood of the bulb? how does it look in this light assy?

btw, do you know if you can't use the regular 1" mounts with these? looking to put it on my AR's if it works out...

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:05 pm

The Highwayman wrote:Just thought I'd post up about a nice little light I ended up putting togther. Full disclosure- I am an admitted lightwhore, and have many different lights, from Magligtes and Husky "emergency" lights stashed in every room, to several Surefires and Streamlights. I really love a well made, BRIGHT light, and am a SF fan at heart. That said, after aquiring several, I just can't stomache spending that much on lights, unless they are specifically needed.

Now, I have in the past posted about some LED drop-ins that I bought from DealExtreme, HERE

They work great as replacement bulbs in my SF G2, and 6Ps; I have never had a problem with them, and used to use them on a daily basis (now I regularly switch between several different lights). PLUS, they are infinitely less expensive than the SF brand drop-ins, so you can buy several extras just in case.

Which leads me to my next point. After using a few in my flashlights, and giving a few away as back-ups when I sold a couple of my lights here in the past year, I still had several laying around, not being used. So, I had been on the lookout for a use for them for awhile.

Then a couple of weeks ago I was bored and poking around evilbay, when I stumbled across a good find. It was the body of a knock-off SF-type aluminum flashlight, but without a bulb. It was this one -HERE. It was cheap enough (and I like the crenelated head) that I decided to give it a shot. The one complaint I have is that it came from Hong Kong, and took over 2 weeks to arrive. But hey, it was free shipping, so no big deal.

Well, when it got here I eagerly (I did say I am a lightwhore, didn't I? :lol: ) ripped open the package to take a look. The body seems to be very well made, and even had o-rings in the detachable sections. Not mention, the crenelllated head could do some real damage in a defensive situation.

So, I grabbed one of my spare LED drop-ins, and proceeded to put together. I dug up some batteries, and took it for a test run. I must say, I was pleasently surprised! The light has a tailcap clicky, and actually has a high and low mode. These drop-ins have proven to be very bright, and it's nice to have a low option in this package, for those times a blinding brilliant light isn't needed. It has a comparitive throw and spill to the real SF LED bulb (I bought a SF 6P LED awhile back), not to mention the lumens appear to be as bright if not a tad brighter than the SF bulb. So far, they have held up physically just as well to heavy use.

So, once I saw how well the body is constructed, and with the experience I have with the LED drop-ins, I figured I'd post about it on here. I figured that some might be interested in a "no-name" taclite, for a great deal cheaper than the "real deal", that I have had great experience with so far. Unfortunatley, I don't have any pics right now, but will try to get some in the next day or so.

IMO, for the $21.00 and change (both items have free shipping), these are a great deal. As well as a hell of a lot easier on the wallet. Which, at least in my case, is good for one's health as well. Given the fact that my wife has promised bodily harm to me if I bought another $50.00 + Flaslight...[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Really cool post with great info.

I think the latest and greatest flashlights are cool, but I've got a hard time swallowing 60+ for an odd battery flashlight.

Just doing some browsing through the catalog, I think I'd like to try building on (I've spent 25.00 in far, far worse ways...)

As they hand out AA batteries like candy where I work, would THIS body style work with the drop in heads?

I have no idea why it wants to put it into GBP, but that's what PP's for.

Also, looking at the drop in bulb, it looked like operating range is 3.7V-18V. That range would work fine with two CR123's (+6V), but I don't know if two AA's (+3.3V) would be enough to make it work.

You'll have to forgive me - I know nothing about all the fancy circuitry that goes on in these regulated LED's - if there's a boost circuit in the there somewhere, it'll probably work fine.

Don't get me started on questions with the R2, Q5, etc drop in bulbs that are availible over at DX!
:oops:

NXP

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by The Highwayman » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:38 am

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll try to address all the questions.....

LRM, I beg your forgiveness my friend! I just (selfishly) felt better knowing that by posting that link, I'm not the only one sending a good portion of my income to Hong Kong! :lol:
Just to add insult to injury, I'll tell you what has to be one of the coolest finds I've bought from them so far- a refillable butane torch, that can actually do light soldering and braising! Plus, it lights damn near anywhere, so they make a great addition to a fire-making kit. I was so impressed with it that I ended up buying 5 more; for that price, how could you go wrong??!?
Enjoy!

Richter wrote:

so technically, you buy the battery assy. + the Cree Q5 and you have a Surefire imitation with 200 lumens? If so, that's a great find and I might just buy a couple of them.

now a question, does the Q5 have a bluish tint to it? from the pictures of your link it sorta does. Also, how's the throw and flood of the bulb? how does it look in this light assy?

btw, do you know if you can't use the regular 1" mounts with these? looking to put it on my AR's if it works out...

I'm not sure what you mean by "batt. assembly"; all you need is the bulb/reflector, and two batteries. That's it and you're GTG.

As for the beam/throw...Those bulbs that I linked to have no discerable blue tint that I noticed at all. The throw is awesome (at least 150' in my dark front yard) and the spill is more than adequate; it allows you to see quite a bit outside of the actual spot, but doesn't wash out too bad to where things get fuzzy and hard to see.

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow, comparing it to my SF 6P LED (factory LED, not a drop in). I think you'll be impressed.

As for the mount, I don't see why it wouldn't work with the 1". The only noticable difference size-wise I can tell is the "Solarforce" is definately a bit longer than the SF. I'll have to dig out my 6P to be sure though.

@ NXP- Obviously I'm no expert, but by the looks of the tapered body in the light you linked to, it sure looks like one of these drop-ins would work. I tell you what- if you want to try it, buy one of the drop-ins first (since they are also from HK, they can take a few weeks to arrive as well, but it's free, so who cares?), then when it arrives, order the flashlight body. They have a 30-day money back guarantee (you pay return shipping), so if doesn't work, you can always send it back. If that's the case, I'll buy the drop-in bulb off of you, so you'll only be out the shipping to return the FL body.

As far as the circuitry and voltage and whatnot, sorry but I'm kinda clueless myself about such things. Maybe someone else will come along and post that knows more about this than I, or you could always try and ask over at Candle Power Forums
From what I've seen and heard, there's some very light-savvy folks over there.

RIP Hk33k

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:50 am

northernxposure wrote: Don't get me started on questions with the R2, Q5, etc drop in bulbs that are availible over at DX!
:oops:

NXP
R2 is a higher bin Cree than a Q5 so is more efficient. The XR-E LED is getting a bit dated though has some good throw compared to the XP-G with a similar reflector. On the flip side XP-Gs are often R4-R5 bins. I also like the XP-E.
Last edited by Woods Walker on Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:56 am

great post Hman!

i may need to put one of these together. i have an LED lenser thats like 90-100 lumens and i consider that bright as hell....but 200 lumens, my god! what will i do with the extra 100 lumens? :twisted:

thanks for the info!

Richter

Post by Richter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:58 am

thanks

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Just a quick update, after doing some quick research on Candlepower (boy that gang is smart..), the P60 insert that The Highwayman linked in won't work because - as I suspected - the lack of a boost circuit for the LED.

Now, DX has a boost circuit that can be integrated in with some clever solder work, or better yet use a P60 insert that functions on 0.7-4.2VDC which are also availible.

It looks like the body will work, now to find a single mode insert at the correct voltage.

NXP

Richter

Post by Richter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:27 pm

northernxposure wrote:Just a quick update, after doing some quick research on Candlepower (boy that gang is smart..), the P60 insert that The Highwayman linked in won't work because - as I suspected - the lack of a boost circuit for the LED.

Now, DX has a boost circuit that can be integrated in with some clever solder work, or better yet use a P60 insert that functions on 0.7-4.2VDC which are also availible.

It looks like the body will work, now to find a single mode insert at the correct voltage.

NXP

you're talking about the AA model, right?

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Richter wrote:
northernxposure wrote:Just a quick update, after doing some quick research on Candlepower (boy that gang is smart..), the P60 insert that The Highwayman linked in won't work because - as I suspected - the lack of a boost circuit for the LED.

NXP

Correct sir.

Found the 0.7-4.2VDC drop in bulbs, but now we're back up to around 40$ when it's all said and done - for less run time and reduced output. Big shock, not. :?

No free lunch it appears. Decisions, decisions...

NXP

Richter

Post by Richter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:32 pm

northernxposure wrote:
Richter wrote:

NXP

Correct sir.

Found the 0.7-4.2VDC drop in bulbs, but now we're back up to around 40$ when it's all said and done - for less run time and reduced output. Big shock, not. :?

No free lunch it appears. Decisions, decisions...

NXP

spend some money in rechargeable CR123's. That was just an example but I'm sure you can find better batteries than 800mah.

mattltm

Post by mattltm » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:31 pm

I have some rechargeable CR123's for my Surefire. Li-ion, 650mHa were the only ones I could find. They have a 12V charger that I was going to run from a small solar panel so that I would have a totally cost free system.

Shame they are pretty rubbish and last about 5 minutes when fully charged. :cry:
"Spooky action at a distance."

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:44 pm

I'm going to have to score one of those LED drop ins for my g2z. Looks like a definite cost savings when put up against the surefire version.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:18 pm

CLEAR CUT wrote:I'm going to have to score one of those LED drop ins for my g2z. Looks like a definite cost savings when put up against the surefire version.
Buy them now! I have not found anything that works as well for the price.

Now worries, Highwayman. It's all good! :lol:

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Richter

Post by Richter » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:28 pm

*eagerly awaiting pictures*

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:32 pm

One thing to consider when buying a dropin is how well it transfers heat away from the LED aka heat sinked. The P60L in an all plastic SF such as the G2Z/G2 will thermo regulated down in brightness. Some of these DX dropins are putting out a bunch of lumens and even with a higher bin R2-R5 could cook the LED faster. SF has a new LED upgrade the KX4 that includes an aluminum bezel for the same price as the now discontinued P60L.

http://www.surefire.com/KX4-LED-Conversion-Head" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Malkoff has the M61, M61L and M61LL which offers a great deal of heat transfer being constructed of brass and properly heatsinked. I think the M61LL would be best for an all plastic light but the M61L might also work. They use a higher bin Cree XP-G and offers looooong regulated runtimes. In the case of the M61LL it's rated at 100 lumens fully regulated for 10 hours with a direct drive as the voltage falls below the regulation requirements. The M61L is 175 lumen for 5 hours before going DD and M61 is 260 lumens for 2 hours.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the M60LL and it rocks. Brighter isn't always better and there is more to a dropin than listed lumens. Price doesn't always = quality but very often yea get what you pay for. All that being said I don’t own any DX lights etc so only have the reports I have read which seems to indicate these products can be hit or miss.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by The Highwayman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:18 pm

Richter wrote:*eagerly awaiting pictures*

Sorry, got kinda busy and forgot. Here's what I got for now (it's still light out, so I did my best)

Here's a side by side with the SF 6P LED. Like I said the "Solarforce" is a little longer, but besides the head, virtually identical body diameter...

Here's a beam shot at 20', the Solarforce (with the DealExtreme LED dropin) on the left, on high mode (admire our "Wall 'O DVDs... :mrgreen: )-

Beam at 20', Solarforce on left, on low mode-

Here's an individual shot at the floor, right at my feet. First, the SF 6P-

Now the Solarforce, on high-

And Solarforce on low-

As you can see from the pics, the bargin light actually has a more defined spot, even on low, with a larger area of spill around the outside. The spot of the 6P actually seems more washed out. I was very surprised myself. These were both outfitted with brand new Surefire brand 123 batteries, out of the same batch.

I know WW and possibly others may have trepidations with buying "bargin" lights, but in all the experience I've had with these particular lights, I've had nothing but great experiences. Sometimes a bargin really is a bargin, I guess. YMMV.

RIP Hk33k

uneekwahn
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead

Post by uneekwahn » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:29 pm

My wife now hates you, but at the same time loves you.

She's asked why you would show people who are clearly addicted to these types of things MORE of these types of things.

She hates you for the fact that I will now be buying the above items, but loves you for showing us how cheap it can be done for, with similar results to highly priced items.

(On a side note, I owe you a beer, so if you're ever in Perth, Western Australia, drop me a line ;))

Cheers,

Jason.

Richter

Post by Richter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:15 pm

I know it is a bit much to ask, Highwayman, but, is there a way you could take some pictures of it shining outside? I wanna see what they look like at a distance. Those pictures look great and I will be ordering mine next paycheck but I wanna make sure it is to "my liking" at a distance. Only if you are not too busy.

thanks!

:D

edit: are you sure you are not putting too much stress on your floor? That is a LOT of DVDs :lol:

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by The Highwayman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Richter wrote:I know it is a bit much to ask, Highwayman, but, is there a way you could take some pictures of it shining outside? I wanna see what they look like at a distance. Those pictures look great and I will be ordering mine next paycheck but I wanna make sure it is to "my liking" at a distance. Only if you are not too busy.

thanks!

:D

edit: are you sure you are not putting too much stress on your floor? That is a LOT of DVDs :lol:

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, been swamped at work. Gimme till the weekend, and I'll see what I can do. It's been pouring rain here everyday for the past week (over 8 inches since Sunday!) and no offense, but I'm not coming home from work and getting soaked trying to measure out a distance and taking pics. Hopefully the weekend wil be a bit dryer.... :D

ETA- Thanks for the concern on the DVDs.....We've added extra floor and wall joists just to be safe.... :wink: :mrgreen:

RIP Hk33k

uneekwahn

Post by uneekwahn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:44 am

As I'm a big fan of the six Ps (prior planning prevents piss poor performance), can you tell me how many CR123s these take so I can buy some in anticipation of the delivery of my parts? :)

Cheers,

Jason.

uneekwahn

Post by uneekwahn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:21 am

Got my body this afternoon when I got home, just waiting for the drop in now .... can't wait :)

MR2

Post by MR2 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:12 am

Highwayman,
The only test I can come up with to the other light is a run time test.
If yours is the First Gen 6P LED like mine there is not that many lites that have an 11 hour runtime. That's why I bought mine when they first came out. I can stand it up in the living table and illuminate the area for 2 days before changing batteries. I consider the 6P LED to be one of the best for blackouts.
The new 6P LED is 120 lumens and only last 2 hours.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”