What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Post by ineffableone » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Spotted a 20% off sale at a local gun store, so had to stop in. They had lots of great stuff, I hadn't been in there before but will be going back again, great customer service there.

Since I was there, I had to pick up a couple more AK mags, they only had the Tapco ones, but for $20 each I couldn't not get a couple more. LOL, always good to have spare mags about.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

-Darkhorse-

Post by -Darkhorse- » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:51 pm

Some quick pics of my recent gear buys.

Tactical Tailor MAV 2 rig with X harness. Its not fully kited out yet but it gets the job done for now.

Bates RATs, cheap and they have been amazing over here in some pretty crap terrain.

MSS that I picked up for a winter camping trip when I get home. Not collapsed at all to help keep it in good shape.

Streamlight TLR-1

Weaver rail ready, love it.

The switch is simple and locking in one direction. Strobe locks as well on the double tap. Works really well with my MAGPUL angled grip.

mossberg

Post by mossberg » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:26 pm

added more first aid supplies, a 2nd rollof t.p.,more rope,duct tape,and sharpened axe and kives in my b.o.b.

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:51 am

Steripen defender, collapsible canteens, filters for boiled water (to improve taste only), a air raid warden's helmet and armband (I'm the safety warden at work, you better believe I'm going to have fun with it) topographic maps of my part of town (I'm updating them with 30 years of development) a backup cell phone and 6 months of batteries, (just 4) pvc snowshoes, and for no apparent reason a backup manual alarm clock. Because one is never enough.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:46 am

Just won an auction for an Archangel Mosin stock and 5-round magazine for $78. Will report back how it works out.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Whackpack7

Post by Whackpack7 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Uhhhh let see. Found out one of the distributers for our gun shop carries 5.11, NAR, WISE FOODS :clap: and Blackhawk so picked up a few more TacLite and Tactical pants, medical items, and a low pro plate carrier for work. Pair of Mechanix Gloves in coyote to replace my junk Oakley gloves,2 more packs of Z-Fold Combat Gauze, Junior SAM Splint, some more Talon gloves, and Mountain House food.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:07 pm

I am a big advocate of seed stock. I have already stocked up multiple survival seed stocks, including medicinal herbs, culinary herbs, and plenty of different veggie seeds. But seed is nice and light and low bulk, so I never get tired of stocking up more, and different varieties.

I just ordered some more seed stock, this time with a big focus on grains, which is seed not typically included in survival seed containers. The company I bought these from is actually a seed grower rather than the typical seed distributor. http://sustainableseedco.com Also many of these grain seeds are actually quite rare seeds. This company is working hard to bring rare seeds back from their rare status.

Organic Bloody Butcher Corn
Organic Hopi Blue Corn
Organic Winter Alaska Wheat
Organic Tres Wheat Seed
Organic Rohde Wheat
Organic Allstar Alfalfa
Juan Triticale (wheat & rye cross)
Organic Drago Triticale (wheat & rye cross)
Red Proso Millet Seed
Madawaska Buckwheat
Blue Flax Seeds 2, .25 g pkgs
Lewis Flax Seeds
Organic Hulless Oats 2, 1 ounce pkg

I also picked up one of their BOB seed bags, they have some really great choices for "long term storage seed banks" which they call Safety Seed. However they do mention how while other companies promise 10 yr shelf life etc, they can not in good conscious give such long shelf lives. Stating 2-5 yr shelf lives (depending on the seed) are the best they can give, but that if stored optimally the seed might last much longer. While some may be put off by this I find their honesty refreshing. I know from being a gardener many root veggies seed only last a few years in the best storage conditions, so would not likely last 10yrs. http://sustainableseedco.com/safety-seed/

Bug Out Seed Bag™
only $40 and which includes the bellow list of seed

Detroit Dark Red Beet over 200 emergency heirloom seeds
California Wonder Bell Pepper over 30 emergency heirloom seeds
Waltham Broccoli over 275 emergency heirloom seeds
Cayenne Long Red Pepper over 30 emergency heirloom seeds
Golden Acre Cabbage over 200 emergency heirloom seeds
Small Sugar Pumpkin over 32 emergency heirloom seeds
Danvers 126 Carrot over 700 emergency heirloom seeds
Cherry Belle Radish over 300 emergency heirloom seeds
Snowball Cauliflower over 300 emergency heirloom seeds
Bloomsdale Spinach over 300 emergency heirloom seeds
Ruby Red Chard over 180 emergency heirloom seeds
Black Beauty Zucchini over 25 emergency heirloom seeds
Lemon Cucumber over 30 emergency heirloom seeds
Early Prolific Straight Squash over 25 emergency heirloom seeds
Utah 52-70 Celery over 1000 emergency heirloom seeds
Spaghetti Squash over 25 emergency heirloom seeds
Dwarf Blue Curled Kale over 250 emergency heirloom seeds
Large Red Cherry Tomato over 27 emergency heirloom seeds
Bibb Lettuce over 300 emergency heirloom seeds
Golden Bantam Corn over 50 emergency heirloom seeds
Sugar Baby Watermelon over 40 emergency heirloom seeds
Green Arrow Pea over 98 emergency heirloom seeds
Honey Rock Melon over 35 emergency heirloom seeds
Tokyo White Bunching Onion over 300 emergency heirloom seeds
Genovese Italian Basil over 250 emergency heirloom seeds

If you don't have seed stocks but want some, I would recommend trying this company out.
http://sustainableseedco.com They are knowledgeable and friendly with good prices on hard to find seed.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Shink

Post by Shink » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Today I bought some waterproof matches. I cant believe I had forgotten to put those into my original assembly list. Just goes to show how easy it is to miss something important when you don't take the time to plan before acting. :roll:

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Shink wrote:Today I bought some waterproof matches. I cant believe I had forgotten to put those into my original assembly list. Just goes to show how easy it is to miss something important when you don't take the time to plan before acting. :roll:
By the way. (And I dont know if you can get them) But elemental has so far been the best brand of matches I have used.

I am doing shelters at the moment.
So bivvy bag.
woobie
Mozzie net.
mat
and poncho.

Shink

Post by Shink » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:14 pm

drop bear wrote:
Shink wrote:Today I bought some waterproof matches. I cant believe I had forgotten to put those into my original assembly list. Just goes to show how easy it is to miss something important when you don't take the time to plan before acting. :roll:
By the way. (And I dont know if you can get them) But elemental has so far been the best brand of matches I have used.

I am going to check those out. Thanks

echo2

Post by echo2 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:42 pm

Picked up a Steripen defender and some shifty filters that are for taste only. And a second Lifestraw. Gonna go drink some hella gross lake water.

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:34 pm

A Condor Bushlore knife - most of my fixed blades are fighting knives and I wanted a cheap GP/bush knife. Also as winter is well on the way another set of Helikon ECWS level 3 thermals - long sleeve top, bottoms and balaclava , to go into the car kit. And some spare fleece watch caps for different bags.
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

marklar

Post by marklar » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Didnt really buy it but a friend of mine owns a gun store and i helped them run their booth at the gun show this weekend and he gave me a second set of multicams, a CRKT cruiser knife, and a pair of ballistic Oakley Goggles with an anti fog fan, oh and ten sets of riot cuffs haha. not bad for having fun selling guns and gear

Skummdogg
Favorite Zombie Movies: Any zombie flick will make me smile.

Post by Skummdogg » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:25 pm

Finally got what I consider an apocalypse must have for us needing correctional lenses. Finally got corrective laser surgery! All healed up and I'm seeing 20/20 in my right and 20/15 in my left, couldn't be happier!

Also got one of those nifty biolite stoves with the kettle.
Semper FI
Chuck

ineffableone

Post by ineffableone » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Just received my Hanwei Banshee from Kult of Athena http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PC2126

These are a modern take on the Burmese Dha. Dha were used not just as a sword but as a jungle clearing machete and all around utility blade. Which is what made me pick one of these up. I have a small $20 cheepo "ninjato" that I use as my machete. This Banshee is the replacement. the smaller blade size makes this a good home defense sword as well as a wonderful brush clearing machete sword.

An amazing review on these swords http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/banshee.html he even shoots the blade with a .45 ACP cal in this review, with no real damage!!

Price: $182.95
Overall Length: 36 In Blade: 21 In
Weight: 1 lb 12 oz
P.O.B.: 2 3/4''
Thickness: 6.1 mm - 3.6 mm
Width: 30.3 mm - 35.4 mm
Grip Length: 9 7/8''
Pommel: Peened

A comparison of the Banshee and a katana and some big knives to give an idea of it's size. (not my picture just one found online)

A video that shows how well this sword can take abuse. The guy even chops firewood with it!

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Andrew Sterner
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Zombieland, Tokyo Zombie, [REC], Quarantine(1 and 2), Juan of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead.

Post by Andrew Sterner » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:48 am

I bought a buff.

Nifty piece of headwear I must say. More functional than I thought, just as gimmicky as I imagined. Got to field test on Sunday, survived trailblazing through briars, being exposed to fire, and kept my noggin warm in 30 degree weather! Definitely glad I got it.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:30 pm

things I have purchased recently

new straps for my pack
new frame
first aid supplies
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Kifaru pull outs and compression sack
Eberlestock pack rain cover
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:34 pm

Ecofan for the wood insert
Lots of accessories for the handheld HAM radios (Extended antennas, car antennas, battery eliminators, mics & earpieces). Now just waiting for the slow boat from China to arrive.......
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:15 am

marklar wrote:Didnt really buy it but a friend of mine owns a gun store and i helped them run their booth at the gun show this weekend and he gave me a second set of multicams, a CRKT cruiser knife, and a pair of ballistic Oakley Goggles with an anti fog fan, oh and ten sets of riot cuffs haha. not bad for having fun selling guns and gear
Now that's a good way to add some gear, spend a day at a gun show and get stuff for having fun!

Edited to add, nothing major in the way of BOB stuff, but I in the process of swapping out older food in my emergency bug in supplies with newer stuff. Had to replace some TP and water that we took out for daily use.

LeatherNeck77

Post by LeatherNeck77 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Hey, I know what gear and pack I want and I have the supplies, but what color should i get my web gear and backpack in, I live in an urban enviorment, but in a shtf i'll probably leave, im not sure. they say when in doubt go with black but im choosing between black and od green, please help me out guys.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:16 pm

LeatherNeck77 wrote:...they say when in doubt go with black but im choosing between black and od green, please help me out guys.
I'd go with OD green. Works fine in urban areas and the woods. And one does want a hint of color. :wink:

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Boondock wrote:
LeatherNeck77 wrote:...they say when in doubt go with black but im choosing between black and od green, please help me out guys.
I'd go with OD green. Works fine in urban areas and the woods. And one does want a hint of color. :wink:
I find the OD green goes with everything. And is never out of style.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”