What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Re: What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:52 pm

The Southern Ontario Chapter is bugging out togther this weekend so I stocked up on a few things. Big day yesterday - I popped my Mora cherry by picking up a LMF Fire Knife. Today I snagged a couple of US MREs (sloppy jokes and maple sausage patty), a MH desert, 100 ft of paracord, wet fire cubes, a set of s-biners and some permethian. Also found some Easy Mac KD at the grocery store for the kiddo, and got a flat of Mr. Noodles, a half dozen packs of Idahoan instant potatoes and a flat of flavoured tuna and a pack of beef jerky.
Last edited by bacpacjac on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:03 pm

I almost forgot but I also picked up "A Pocket Naturalist Guide: Trees, An Introduction to Familiar North American Species".

http://www.acornnaturalists.com/store/T ... hC7xtDS3Ye" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm working on IDing our local vegetation and this lightweight, laminated guide is perfect for my pack. i'm on the hunt for other useful ones at the vrick and mortar stores near us. It's got pics and descriptions, and is far superior IMO than my "Ontario Nature Guide", which doesn't have good visuals.

http://www.lonepinepublishing.com/cat/9781551055640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:15 am

Renewed my fishing licence today and picked up a green wooly bugger while I was there. WoodsWalker says they rock so I had to. Maybe I'll catch something bigger than bait this year and hopefully that elusive trout I've been after.

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Post by Arsenul » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar Panel, GSI Outdoors Halulite Tea Kettle, 3 Mountain House Scrambled Eggs with Bacon Breakfast, 2 Mountain House Scrambled Eggs with Ha, Red & Green Peppers Breakfast, 3 Mountain House Beef Stroganoff with Noodles, 2 Mountain House Beef Stew Main Entree, and 2 Mountain House Noodles and Chicken Entree.
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

coldwater

Post by coldwater » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:39 pm

Got this yesterday, bunch more stuff on the way.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:03 am

Marmot Precip Jacket. HOLY CRAP! WTH was I doing with a US .mil Goretex? This jacket may not have the durability or the thousand of pockets however it's lbs lighter. I haven't had it out in the rain yet but for my hiking pack, this is the maxim.
Impressed. Thanks for the tip Omega Man and Mr. D.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:21 am

Bunch of Merino Wool goodies. 2 t-shirts, 1 pair of boxers, and a sleeveless workout shirt.

Merino is amazing stuff. I love it.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:52 am

Finally got around to buying 2 CB antennas for the radios I got from the deals thread here. 2 4' Firestick FS's plus mounts & cables.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

koolaidND
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks, 28 days, resident evil series, zombieland

Post by koolaidND » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Arsenul wrote:
dynomike wrote:MSR Pocket Rocket and a can of fuel. Been wanting one of these for a while, since I was looking for a "too tired to build a fire and want a quick meal before I pass out from exhaustion" stove. Next step is Snow Peak Titanium Cookware.
It's a shame you payed $40.00 when you could have paid $7.00 for something smaller, safer to light, and all around better.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpa ... cket+Stove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The $33 you saved will quickly be pissed away in fuel usage.

Back on topic.
My Swiss Bianco Carver arrived today. I love this knife.
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

coldwater

Post by coldwater » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Got a few things today.

A new crank up Grundig radio, a frontier pro water straw, couple new large sham wow towels (I love these things. I keep 2 full size for towels, and the 3rd I cut into 4 pieces to use as sponges for water collecting, like morning dew or showers) An inexpensive pair of 10X binos, (inexpensive so I don't care when they get torn up) @ new 3/8" X 4" fire steels. And a replacement compass. Got this one with tritium.
I also picked up a sheet of heavy kydex so I can modify my fixed blade knife sheath to fix it to the molle webbing on my pack.

Got a few more things on the way.

Whackpack7

Post by Whackpack7 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:21 pm

Well... It has been one hell of a week. I think the Kif and TAR picture suffices.

Bedsit Bob

Post by Bedsit Bob » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:05 am

My GSI Cup arrived this morning, and it went straight on my Spirit Stove, for a boil test.

Very impressed.

And my home made lid is a perfect fit. 8-)

Most people get AIDS from sex; but President Clinton got sex from aides.

Spd164

Post by Spd164 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:16 am

Just scored a tritium lensatic compass from eBay for $20!

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Spd164 wrote:Just scored a tritium lensatic compass from eBay for $20!
Be careful with those...the tritium is only good for about 12 years before it dies...not affecting the compass, just your ability to read it. Most low cost tritium compass are like that cause the tritium rods have quit glowing.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Put together a project I've been working on today.

The beginnings of my "VERK", or Vehicle Emergency Repair Kit. 1 .50 Cal ammo can from CTD (About $10), the rest sourced from Harbor Freight. Can be made for less than $50 total - Spent about $25 at HF on the tools so far and thought of a few more things to add still that won't be much more.

inside the can:
6 Piece Screwdriver set, Multimeter, 60 Piece Fuse Assortment, 9 Piece Metric Combo Wrench set, 100 Zip Ties, 40 Piece Socket Set (1/4 & 3/8 drive), a roll of Electrical Tape, and a Magnetic/hanging LED worklight.

Still has a bunch of room in the can, going to add some Duct Tape, Electrical connectors, Stripper/Crimpers, and I was thinking about seeing if I could fit a tow strap in there too.

A lot of useful stuff on the cheap, that fits in a small space.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Here's my "verk" :awesome:

Built it day before last when I got a small box for it. Jumper Cables/Fix a flat/tow rope are in my larger "VSK" (Vehicle Survival Kit). :D
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Brotherbadger
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Curse of the Cannibal Confederates(so terrible it's great)

Post by Brotherbadger » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:24 am

Just picked up a "White Box" style stove from a friend who started building them. I supplied the beer bottle(plus 5 more full ones) and he built it for me.

koolaidND wrote:
Arsenul wrote:
dynomike wrote:MSR Pocket Rocket and a can of fuel. Been wanting one of these for a while, since I was looking for a "too tired to build a fire and want a quick meal before I pass out from exhaustion" stove. Next step is Snow Peak Titanium Cookware.
It's a shame you payed $40.00 when you could have paid $7.00 for something smaller, safer to light, and all around better.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpa ... cket+Stove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The $33 you saved will quickly be pissed away in fuel usage.
Quickly? i wouldn't go that far. Are the chinese knockoffs less efficient? Almost definately(can't say for certain as i haven't tested them side by side, but using both i'd say there seems to be more fuel used in the knockoff). But $33 buys me 144 oz of butane(@ approx $2 a bottle. i have an adapter that allows me to use the long cheap cans). Even if the knockoff wastes 50% more(which i doubt, if i had to wager a guess i'd put it closer to 10-15% at the very most) in order to waste $33 worth of fuel, i would have to burn 288 oz of butane. That's approx 36 cans. :shock: I personally use maybe 2-3 cans a year(i don't use it every trip), so it would take me 12 years to use up the $33 saved.
Doc Torr wrote:You forgot to add that birdshot only hurts badguys, so you can bounce it off the floor, walls, or even yourself for nonlethal takedowns. Load some beanbags and dragon's Breath too, because you shouldn't stop shooting until they're on fire.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:12 am

Marmot Precip pants. Yupe, I'm water proof now.

Next? Mountain Hardgear Monkey Man fleece and a Nitrous Vest. Buh bye heavy mil spec gear.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:46 am

Picked up a few things at cabela's when I was visiting in PA:

Sporks
Wetfire 10 pack
Tikka 2
Clothes
Boots
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Bedsit Bob

Post by Bedsit Bob » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:20 pm

I've recently ordered a super light gas stove.

Price is just £5.11, with free delivery. 8-)

Customer reviews rave about it, so I figured it was worth a punt, for £5 and change.
Most people get AIDS from sex; but President Clinton got sex from aides.

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:11 pm

6'x8' poly tarp, hitch pin, 2x6" rubber straps, package hand wipes for under $7 @ the restore.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by DJH » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:44 am

Some "Darn Tough" hiking socks and Esbit fuel tabs from REI. Thanks member dividend!

Cougar-SWE
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead

Post by Cougar-SWE » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:07 pm

Have some new "small items" coming along this week, BUT! A friend of me got me some brand new, never been used, cookin devices!
Its the old version of the Swedish Army!
But Im super happy to have a few of these all brand new and mint!

As you can see, if its real army units, it shall all have them three crown markings in every pice (as you can see in one of the pics).
Fool proof, comes in a great size for 1 person and built to last! A great and simple thing! :clap:

Army issue markings:

Sry for my bad English -Im a Viking!

Cougar-SWE
Favorite Zombie Movies: Walking Dead

Post by Cougar-SWE » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Got a new shiny cookin device today, its the Swedish Army Rangers version! The one I used when I still was in service and I like the model a lot!
Also, got som lumin Fukushima patches along with some other... The patch named "Sverige" was not supposed to land in my mail box. The company sent me the wrong version, I ordered the one written in english - SWEDEN. But they let me keep these and send me new ones! So thats ok.

Viper SPEC OPS shirt (UBACS), with possible short sleeves!! 8-)

Binos are Swedish Army type, an old bastard but cool and with markings inside like a haircross!

The green hat is from Tactical Response and called a "Diz Hat". The tan version is Condor and a bit lighter than the Diz!

CRKT surrvival brace with built in wire saw.

15m commando rope
Sry for my bad English -Im a Viking!

Return to “Bug Out Gear”