What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Arsenul
Favorite Zombie Movies: meh

Re: What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Post by Arsenul » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Just picked up the Guide Gear Emergency Shelter. Only cost me $30.00 Copy Pasted:
This 11 1/2 x 14' Tarp / Shelter allows you to configure it to the coverage you need for maximum space or shelter. Can easily cover a picnic table size area to shield against burning sun, rain and even wind. 190T polyester with a 1,000 mm polyurethane coating for extreme weather-proofing; Includes 2 poles, rope and several guy-out points for custom coverage. Actual coverage is 123 sq. ft. Stands 6 1/2'h., weighs 4 lbs. Nab yours today! Guide Gear Emergency Shelter
Tell me I can't do it and watch as I prove you wrong.

sturmdogg

Post by sturmdogg » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:39 pm

Just bought the following :

Goal Zero 19010 Guide 10 Plus Small Adventure Kit

Sawyer SP181 PointOne Emergency Water Filtration Kit

Nalgene Tritan 1-Quart Wide Mouth Bottle
Eneloop AA 8 pack

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:16 am

And it looks like I'm going to pick up a M1951 coat, possibly a raincoat from the same era, and a pair of trousers. Then I'll have summer gear set for now, and then I'll just need some of the cold weather gear when the time comes.

Arsenul

Post by Arsenul » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:38 am

Later today after the bank opens I'm gonna head to dicks sporting goods and get some ENO Atlas Hammock Straps for the hammock set up I'm working on.

AtlantaChris

Post by AtlantaChris » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:14 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DAP24JW

A zombie tally mark vinyl decal.

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:32 pm

2 Equip brand Hammocks.

I had to test it it by tickling my little BIL, while the two of us were "hanging out". We were right at the weight limit (300) using only included suspension.
The wife liked the first one so much she claimed it, and made me go back and get a second one. She said " No one can possibly get stressed out in one of these things." This was easily the most relaxing 50 bucks ever. (For two of them). I plan on upgrading the suspension soon but these do come with hanging gear. I blame you buggers for getting me in the trees. Thanks

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equip-Travel- ... e/23889034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arsenul

Post by Arsenul » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:09 pm

The Guide Gear Emergency Shelter. Put it up to see if everything's there and it is, I highly recommend it. You could put the car under it and it'll be shelter from the rain. And only $30.00

Also I got some free stuff from a garage sell. A rain suit, the good kind, and some camo.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Arsenul wrote:The Guide Gear Emergency Shelter. Put it up to see if everything's there and it is, I highly recommend it. You could put the car under it and it'll be shelter from the rain. And only $30.00

Also I got some free stuff from a garage sell. A rain suit, the good kind, and some camo.
Like the shelter and the camo netting!

Picked this BNOS/surplus Army tent today at a consignment store for $25 :0)

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

eugene

Post by eugene » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:07 pm

This is purchases from the last few weeks:

This is my Bug Out Reloading Kit (BORK). All the tools and supplies fit inside an ammo box and I took it with me to the BOL last trip.

echo2

Post by echo2 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:47 am

Ghilli kit...

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:56 am

Trekking poles
Himalayan salt rocks
Yo-yo reels
Speed hooks
Mora kniv (gift for a friend)
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Arsenul

Post by Arsenul » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:58 am

NamelessStain wrote:Trekking poles
Himalayan salt rocks
Yo-yo reels
Speed hooks
Mora kniv (gift for a friend)
That knife is amazing. I have one and I love, love, love it.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Well, I finally did it - I bought a Heavy (boil) cover for my canteen cup. Begone tin foil!

So now the Tactical Tailor cover holds canteen, SS cup, stove stand, SS cover and an Ebit stove made from a mini-Altoids tin w/ 6 fuel cubes.

http://popupbackpacker.com/wp-content/u ... G_0743.jpg
Something like a small Succrets or Altoid tin can can be used to place an Esbit tab (the smaller one on the left). If you fill it (large side) with dirt or sand, you can then fill it with alcohol to boil water. It burns too quickly without a filler. A Pepsi can burner and a Trangia burner are both too high to work in a canteen stove stand.. If you keep both halves of the tin, you have a small storage unit for multiple use. It will 'hold' one wrapped Esbit tab.

Now, If I could only find a USGI SS canteen with SS lid....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:13 pm

LOVE this idea! So simple. Thanks Tac!
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

vawilderness
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, The Crazies, The Walking Dead, The Plague of the Zombies, Dead Snow, Planet Terror, White Zombie, Land of the Dead, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie... to name a few.

Post by vawilderness » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:36 pm

Picked up a Professional Grade 35-Piece Tire Repair Kit from amazon. It's all metal handles will stand up to lots of use (well hopefully i will not have to use it at all) and comes with about 20 plugs. No instructions came in the box though... Printed some out to keep in the kit.

Here is a link to the kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Grad ... repair+kit
If guns are outlawed, can we use swords?

dynomike

Post by dynomike » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 pm

MSR Pocket Rocket and a can of fuel. Been wanting one of these for a while, since I was looking for a "too tired to build a fire and want a quick meal before I pass out from exhaustion" stove. Next step is Snow Peak Titanium Cookware.
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them" - Thomas Paine

"If at first you don't succeed, call an airstrike" - Banksy

Arsenul

Post by Arsenul » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:41 am

dynomike wrote:MSR Pocket Rocket and a can of fuel. Been wanting one of these for a while, since I was looking for a "too tired to build a fire and want a quick meal before I pass out from exhaustion" stove. Next step is Snow Peak Titanium Cookware.
It's a shame you payed $40.00 when you could have paid $7.00 for something smaller, safer to light, and all around better.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpa ... cket+Stove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:56 am

Arsenul wrote:
dynomike wrote:MSR Pocket Rocket and a can of fuel. Been wanting one of these for a while, since I was looking for a "too tired to build a fire and want a quick meal before I pass out from exhaustion" stove. Next step is Snow Peak Titanium Cookware.
It's a shame you payed $40.00 when you could have paid $7.00 for something smaller, safer to light, and all around better.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpa ... cket+Stove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
holy shit that can use the other type of fuel...... the Non-canister type. my parents have probably 300 of those caterer style fuel tanks... pretty bad ass and for 7 bucks i might have to get a few.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Arsenul

Post by Arsenul » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:01 am

IceMyst wrote:
Arsenul wrote:
holy shit that can use the other type of fuel...... the Non-canister type. my parents have probably 300 of those caterer style fuel tanks... pretty bad ass and for 7 bucks i might have to get a few.
Yea I have one and I absolutely love it.

ViolentKooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by ViolentKooter » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:59 am

Managed to con people into gifting me a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro hammock, and ENO Atlas Straps so as not to murder trees with the hanging apparatus it came with. Not as fancy/expensive as a good hammock, but I can finally try out camping off the ground and see if it's worth it to upgrade further :-)

Bedsit Bob

Post by Bedsit Bob » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:01 pm

Just ordered a GSI Cup from Amazon.
Most people get AIDS from sex; but President Clinton got sex from aides.

JRR

Post by JRR » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Arsenul wrote:
I have one of those, and it's a blow torch. You could damn near weld steel with it. It is not only dangerous, it is not very efficient, burns through a can of fuel WAY too fast.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:08 pm

My Uniden Bearcat P68
came today...CB with built in NOAA weather channels AND alert...Love the retro style also!

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:55 pm

The UPS guy was at my house several times this month for me. He is usually bringing stuff for my wife, she loves QVC.

Anyways, after seeing the post by mrtrooper on his load bearing rig I got two of these:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 2#p2389182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I already had the mag pouches, so I bought two packs with "Y suspenders and for grenade pouches. Let me tell you for the price these are nice! The grenade pouches are nothing spectacular but the backpack have this heavy rubber liner that is excellent condition. I bet you could use this thing as a camel pack as long as you didn't do a hand stand. There is enough material to allow you to roll the excess down over the top of your gear making a very water tight pack.

The "Y" suspenders are OK. again not as Heavy duty as an ALICE rig, but still functional. I have a cloth/Velcro adjustable gun belt that I am going to pair with these similar to what mrtrooper did.
I got these from KeepShooting.com. I may have to pick up a few more mag pouches, I am a pouch hoarder, I always have to buy something I haven't seen before.
The delivery from Keepshootin was awesome BTW.

The other package I got was a backorder from Sportsman's Guide which was a six pack or mil surplus handkerchiefs:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=1009723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These things are huge! I was looking at camo handkerchiefs to keep in my get home bag because they can be used for many things, an arm splint, a bandage, a face mask, water pre-filter, hot pad for a mess kit. Looking at the usual 22 or 27 inch ones it didn't seem like they would be big enough for an arm sling if your a large guy. I got these because they are 33 inches square.
They are brand new, in fact they have that fresh fabric smell that you get when you open a new pack of skivvies in a plastic bag. I am totally happy with both purchases.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”