What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kilo147

Re: What have you bought lately? (Bug Out Version)

Post by Kilo147 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:08 pm

Just bought a 3 grenade pouch for my backpack. Each one holds something the size of a can of Coke. Now I just need to get myself an E-tool, pouches for my belt, and a M45 cargo pack and I'm set as far as bags go.

And I bought a crap ton of rice and beans. I go through that like it's Good N' Plentys.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Mon May 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Kids down the street rang the doorbell and had a bunch of random stuff they got at the thrift store to sell. Bought an old Leatherman Tool off them for $4.

When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Bought a new 2013 Kelty Coyote 80L for a grey man BOB...
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

bsgguns
Favorite Zombie Movies: walking dead

Post by bsgguns » Wed May 29, 2013 7:01 pm

Surefire Minimus. Great headlamp.

echo2

Post by echo2 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:02 pm

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Wed May 29, 2013 11:05 pm

I got the Ontario sp8-94 machete. It's 1/4 inch thick! The sqared tip gives it a 90º breaching point. A little heavy, but it sits on my hip so it doesn't add to weight on my back.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

koolaidND
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks, 28 days, resident evil series, zombieland

Post by koolaidND » Thu May 30, 2013 12:20 am

My USMC ILBE assault pack will be delivered tomorrow. It will be the base of my newly stripped down BOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

Cadillac
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original George A. Romero movies, Resident Evil movies

Post by Cadillac » Thu May 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Just had an eventful day of amazon shopping. I ordered a Teton Sports Explorer 4000, a new leatherman, a cold steel true flight, a cold steel survival edge (for my wife's bag), a roll of 100ft of 550 cord, and a new shemagh. The plan is for me and two of my friends to be dropped off 5 miles from our location, hike there and test out our B.O.B.s for a weekend.
Benjamin
ZSC:052 Chapter President

LR42186
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Shaun of the Dead.
Location: A dark and dusty dorm in the backlots of St. Louis.

Post by LR42186 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:51 am

Got a Fenix e11 with some help from my REI dividend, and picked up some paracord at the surplus today -- as well as a snazzy ACU coat. Since I'm scrawny I'm usually stuck with the crap from the kids section... by some miracle they had near-new ACUS in the used section in X-small/X-short :clap:
sworbeyegib wrote:It seems like us ZSers only ever buy things in two sizes. Convinient travel, and feed a small village.

jaowens76
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by jaowens76 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 am

The misses bought me a leatherman rebar and micro at docks for our anniversary. I had been looking at picking up a good multi-tool and she was looking for a gift. Heck of a woman.

Smoke signals work better.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:42 am

A package from GoLite showed up yesterday. :D

Cadillac
Favorite Zombie Movies: The original George A. Romero movies, Resident Evil movies

Post by Cadillac » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Benjamin
ZSC:052 Chapter President

koolaidND
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 weeks, 28 days, resident evil series, zombieland

Post by koolaidND » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:30 pm

I picked up another AMK 2 person heatsheet and cabelas. I ordered a hand drill, some drill bits and a sill cock key from Amazon.

I have a desert tan Izula 2 and desert tan Candiru coming. The izzy is a birthday gift for my bro and the candiru is going into my GHB.

Tomorrow I'm setting up an appointment at U-haul to have a hitch put on my wife's car. It's the best running BOV we have and I want to pull our 4'x4' utility trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are people who are pissed off every day I wake up alive...that also makes me happy. - Raptor.

Zombie Hunter C

Post by Zombie Hunter C » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:38 pm

I recently purchased a hand gun (Ruger). Other than that I haven't bought anything.

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:47 am

Ooh, got some Korean War era field manuals all on map reading, about to buy some Web belt pouches, and a Vietnam era entrenching tool with both a vietnam cover and a Korea cover. Gonna make it so the tool can attach to my M1945. Just a wee bit of sewing.

And some WWII first aid kit, carrying case or two and another grenade pouch. And some Nalgene Oasis canteens and arctic covers.

And all for a costume. And holding shit when camping.

Oh, and a ALICE shotgun shell pouch. For holding a flashlight and a dozen CR123 batteries. I'm building a fracking utility belt.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:50 pm

OK this is a bit bigger than something you can pack on your back, but it is something I would take with me if I was bugging out in a vehicle.

It is a canvas tent from Reliable Tent & Tipi. https://www.reliabletent.com/index.cfm? ... 45&CATID=9 I have been wanting this tent for about 15 yrs and finally got it. YAY :clap:

I just got the tent yesterday, so haven't had a chance to take it out camping, but here I set it up in my back yard to test it out and get a better idea how to set it up. (the directions for set up are a bit confusing)

The front entrance of the Glacier tent

A view above the Glacier tent to show the roof line and shape a bit better

Inside the Glacier tent showing the door, window, and the stove pipe hole. (waiting for my brother to send my stove from the NW to NJ)

Here is a floor plan picture showing the dimensions.
To get a bit better idea of how big this tent is. There is 216 sq FT of floor space!
The door corner is 7' 6" high, the center peak is 10' and all corners are 5' high.
The full weight of tent, poles, rainfly, snap in floor, tent pegs, and all is aprox 87 LBS.
Though I can shave quite a bit just leaving the floor behind and swapping most of the tent pegs with lighter MSR groundhog pegs, it is still very bulky and would never make a good tent to carry in a pack. The tent alone, is packed in a bag aprox 30" X 15" X 15". The poles, tent, fly, and floor all come in separate bags so you can divide the load on pack animals.
The big bag is the tent, the hard to see blue bag leaning against it is the poles, the medium bag is the rainfly, the two small bags are stakes and caps for poles to separate the fly from the tent, and the snap in vinyl floor (which could probably fit inside the rainfly bag) is the big white folded up one under the two small bags.
This is a tent you would always need to have a vehicle to help you pack it in. A car/truck, a horse/mule, a cart/sled, or other method to get the tent in where you want it.

I do plan on posting up a much more in depth review of this tent after I get a chance to go camping with it. So far I am quite happy and wanted to share this with you all.
Last edited by ineffableone on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:42 am

A new cook set from GSI. 8" folding Bugaboo fry pan, folding ladel, spatula, and tongs. Mini fry pan is going into one of my kids bags as well as the spatula I carry. Some weather proof matches, Sven 15" folding saw now a Bacho goes in my GHB, Grand Truk skeeter beater as I don't have bug net with my winter hammock. I'm not going to the upstate without one in the summer. Nope.
Further kit upgrades include an Adventure Medical Kits Survive Outdoors Longer Sport Utility Blanket, Goal Zero Fire Fly USB light, two hommock tree straps, and a 4 port USB hub as my last one fell apart. Solar kit will be happy.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:01 am

ineffableone wrote:OK this is a bit bigger than something you can pack on your back, but it is something I would take with me if I was bugging out in a vehicle.

It is a canvas tent from Reliable Tent & Tipi. https://www.reliabletent.com/index.cfm? ... 45&CATID=9 I have been wanting this tent for about 15 yrs and finally got it. YAY :clap:

I just got the tent yesterday, so haven't had a chance to take it out camping, but here I set it up in my back yard to test it out and get a better idea how to set it up. (the directions for set up are a bit confusing)

A view above the Glacier tent to show the roof line and shape a bit better

Inside the Glacier tent showing the door, window, and the stove pipe hole. (waiting for my brother to send my stove from the NW to NJ)

Here is a floor plan picture showing the dimensions.
To get a bit better idea of how big this tent is. There is 216 sq FT of floor space!
The door corner is 7' 6" high, the center peak is 10' and all corners are 5' high.
The full weight of tent, poles, rainfly, snap in floor, tent pegs, and all is aprox 87 LBS.
Though I can shave quite a bit just leaving the floor behind and swapping most of the tent pegs with lighter MSR groundhog pegs, it is still very bulky and would never make a good tent to carry in a pack. The tent alone, is packed in a bag aprox 30" X 15" X 15". The poles, tent, fly, and floor all come in separate bags so you can divide the load on pack animals.This is a tent you would always need to have a vehicle to help you pack it in. A car/truck, a horse/mule, a cart/sled, or other method to get the tent in where you want it.

I do plan on posting up a much more in depth review of this tent after I get a chance to go camping with it. So far I am quite happy and wanted to share this with you all.
I'M INSANELY JEALOUS! :awesome:
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:03 am

I bought four original 20 Liter German military gas cans with a "Donkey Dick" fueler attachment for only 25 Euros! :clap:
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:05 am

ODA 226 wrote:I bought four original 20 Liter German military gas cans with a "Donkey Dick" fueler attachment for only 25 Euros! :clap:
Now THAT'S a good find. Grats!
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

irukandji

Post by irukandji » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:43 am

ineffableone wrote:

Holy sheepshit that is awesome, can't wait to see your more in depth review. Congratz man. :awesome:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son. - Dean Vernon Wormer

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:30 pm

irukandji wrote:
ineffableone wrote:

Holy sheepshit that is awesome, can't wait to see your more in depth review. Congratz man. :awesome:
Thanks, I am looking forward to it too after 15 yrs waiting to finally get this tent. Though might not be till Aug or later to get out and seriously test the tent due to schedule. But then this tent is mostly suited for fall and winter anyways, so might be better then for a real test. Though I might be able to get out late June for a small week end test run, but with no stove, it would be way to hot to use a stove in the summer. LOL
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

coldwater

Post by coldwater » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:35 pm

UPS just dropped off a new 5.11 tactical 72 hour bag and med pouch.. It will replace my ancient beat to hell alice pack.

Bedsit Bob

Post by Bedsit Bob » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:07 am

Yesterday, bought myself a Gelert Mercury Backpack Stove.

Haven't tried it outdoors yet, but tried it out in the kitchen, and very impressed with it.

0.5 litres of cold water, to a rolling boil, in 4 minutes 15 seconds.

Odd thing is, the shop was selling 100g and 500g cartridges, for exactly the same price :?
Most people get AIDS from sex; but President Clinton got sex from aides.

Return to “Bug Out Gear”