Tarn hump (gear and Pics)

Items to keep you alive in the event you must evacuate: discussions of basic Survival Kits commonly called "Bug Out Bags" or "Go Bags"

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Blackdog

Tarn hump (gear and Pics)

Post by Blackdog » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:07 am

Since I added a couple of nick nacks ( Nite Ize Figure 9s) to the load out I figured I would go see how they worked out and what better place than a nice windy mountain.

In a nut shell I attached the Figure 9s to my tarp stakes.

Now to get to a place where I knew the wind was going to blow and blow pretty hard, I hauled my fat old arse up a hill and down a ridge before dropping to a nice tarn ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarn_(lake) ).

Just as note: the place I did the test (AKA Screwing around) has nothing going for as a survival area except water and a view. The wind woops down this valley a good clip and there is not much in the way of fire wood.

What I ended up doing is setting up my tarp in a manner that I felt would best shake off the wind and not become a kite. This set up did pretty well. Not a lot of head room but it did for the most part shed the wind. I used my one and only hiking pole for the tarp pole.

Now to the Figure 9s, the first night while the wind was whooping one of the Figure 9s came loose causing the tarp to peel away on one side, I don't know for sure if I did not set it right or if the vibration caused by the wind on the tarp made the line work loose. Bottom line is I ended up putting a half hitch in the 550 in conjuction with the Figure 9s. For me the jury is still out on them as it is just about as easy to tie a knot and not worry about it.

Other than the slight Figure 9 nut roll everything else worked out OK. A couple of stand outs were my Zebra Light head lamp which I really like. The metal body and O ring just make me feel good. Behind the light is a down jacket cause yeah it gets that cold at night up yonder even at the end of July.

For carrying water I can't say enough good things about the MSR Dromedary Bag. This one is years old and has never failed me.

Been banging around with a Chris Reeve Mountaineer 1 for a little while now. So far so good. I like the round handle and size. I haven't put it in a vise and jumped up and down on the blade yet but it makes a mean tent peg.

PSK and glasses. It is nice to see just who is popping their heads over the edge of the hill.

All and all a nice out and about. Still not 100% sold on the Figure 9s but I guess I will give it one more go before thowing them in the junk drawer.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Tarn hump (gear and Pics)

Post by the_alias » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:30 am

Cool trip pictures and set up, always enjoy your trip reports Blackdog :)
Man is a beast of prey

The Machinist
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by The Machinist » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:33 am

Thanks for the post and pics Blackdog! Man, that looks desolate! Not a tree in sight. Is that area mostly formed via receding glaciers? Just by all the loose rocks it got me to wondering. What are the temps there at this time of year? From the pics, it does not look terribly warm.
Blackdog wrote:I can hear you out there now...."But mister Blackdog these wispy wind shirts are not uber tough and able to fend off meteors and wolfs". I say baaaaaaaaaaaaaah, they are really useful, pack real small and harder to F up than you might think and there is always duct tape. High on my things I like list.

3oh8

Post by 3oh8 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:35 am

Wow! That is some beautiful country. That looks like a nice peaceful spot there by the pond.
Wherever I go,
everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.

Wherever I am,
anyone in need has a friend.

Whenever I return home,
everyone is happy I am there.

by Robert L. Humphrey

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:01 am

I always enjoy seeing your pictures and threads. Amazing scenery.
Maybe next time could you get a close up picture of the Nite Ize 9's in action?
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:06 am

Any more pics or info on your wooden cup? That thing looks classy. (I'm a sucker for wooden cups, bowls, and "silverware.")

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:44 am

The Machinist wrote:Thanks for the post and pics Blackdog! Man, that looks desolate! Not a tree in sight. Is that area mostly formed via receding glaciers? Just by all the loose rocks it got me to wondering. What are the temps there at this time of year? From the pics, it does not look terribly warm.
Yeah the Sharr Mountains above the tree line are pretty desolate but with interesting folk wandering around up there. The lake is pretty much a classic glacial tarn, the interesting thing is a local boy who was wandering by on another visit told me to be careful as the lake is very deep and has a whirlpool that sucks people stupid enough to swim in in down for ever, I haven't confirmed this. The temps are lower up that high and at night down right chilly, not frozen or anything but after spending all week in smoking hot weather the jacket at night is real nice when the temps dip and the wind hoots.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:47 am

Murph wrote:I always enjoy seeing your pictures and threads. Amazing scenery.
Maybe next time could you get a close up picture of the Nite Ize 9's in action?
You got it. I didn't shot any but I will ASAP.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:52 am

Jeriah wrote:Any more pics or info on your wooden cup? That thing looks classy. (I'm a sucker for wooden cups, bowls, and "silverware.")
I can shoot some more but don't really have any at the moment. The cup is a Kuksa that I snagged from a Finnish guy I was hanging with some time ago.

http://finnish-puukko.blogspot.com/2007 ... g-cup.html
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:53 am

You've found one of the weaknesses of the Figure9.

I've had it happen to me occationally in less than optimal pitches that caused the F9 to rotate a smidge - just enough to loosen the lock in the V groove, causing the line to loosen.

If I don't trust the conditions, I just put a quick slip knot on the tag end coming off the back of the "V" groove.

Keeps everything inline and from slipping out of the locking groove.

In the summer, I could take or leave Figure 9's (usually take as I'm lazy), but come winter they're definately a take. Much easier to undue a slipknot and a F9 than a frozen up knot in my experience.

NXP

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:07 am

I'm a Chris Reeve fanboy too. I've had a numbered Aviator model for years now. #90 made in the USA.
I need to get myself a tarp set up in my kit.
I don't believe in karma.
Karma is just justice without satisfaction,
And I don't believe in justice.

praharin

Post by praharin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Nice review. I have never liked gear that is used simply to replace a knot, so I don't see the point. It would seem that a knot served you better in the end... That is reassuring to me ;)

Sidetrack:

I like a bug out location that "doesn't have much going for it". Keeps the idiots away. To function in an area like that or a desert you need to really know your stuff. Learn to use what is there, and you will be set anywhere that has more 8)
Biggin wrote:praharin can be an insufferable dick

lonewolf15002000

Post by lonewolf15002000 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Blackdog wrote:a local boy who was wandering by on another visit told me to be careful as the lake is very deep and has a whirlpool that sucks people stupid enough to swim in in down for ever, I haven't confirmed this.
Wouldn't you be able to see a whirlpool from above the lake. It may be deep and I'm betting very cold but a whirlpool? Great post looks like a very beautiful place even if there are 0 trees.
Lonewolf15002000
Semper Fidelis

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:14 pm

praharin wrote:Nice review. I have never liked gear that is used simply to replace a knot, so I don't see the point. It would seem that a knot served you better in the end... That is reassuring to me ;)

Sidetrack:

I like a bug out location that "doesn't have much going for it". Keeps the idiots away. To function in an area like that or a desert you need to really know your stuff. Learn to use what is there, and you will be set anywhere that has more 8)
The figure 9s were talked about in another thread and thought I would give them a try but In the end I am pretty sure they will end up in the junk drawer, I can tie the knots needed and know they won't fail and are in the end just as easy to rig.

I wouldn't call this location a bug out location, more of a sanity break and easy to get to training ground, but your right, everything after the desert and above the treeline seems just a little easier to deal with.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:17 pm

lonewolf15002000 wrote:
Blackdog wrote:a local boy who was wandering by on another visit told me to be careful as the lake is very deep and has a whirlpool that sucks people stupid enough to swim in in down for ever, I haven't confirmed this.
Wouldn't you be able to see a whirlpool from above the lake. It may be deep and I'm betting very cold but a whirlpool? Great post looks like a very beautiful place even if there are 0 trees.
I don't for a minute believe there is a whirlpool there, lots of folk lore about wolfs, bears and I guess whirlpools bouncing around the rural villages, probably much like it was in earlier times in rural U.S.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Blackdog wrote:
Jeriah wrote:Any more pics or info on your wooden cup? That thing looks classy. (I'm a sucker for wooden cups, bowls, and "silverware.")
I can shoot some more but don't really have any at the moment. The cup is a Kuksa that I snagged from a Finnish guy I was hanging with some time ago.

Oh, man! Those are AWESOME! I totally need several of those. Besides just loving them, there is also the fact that my super-leet titanium mug conducts heat far too well to drink coffee out of. I couldn't think of a better material to replace it with; was leaning towards Lexan, but wood is even better!

Thanks for that link!

Woods Walker
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Woods Walker » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:50 pm

I like those Vargo Ti nail pegs. Use a bunch of them to peg out the tipi in winter. The H501 Q5 is a winner for sure. Have you ever tried the glow in the dark holder? I have a H501 Q5 plus a H501w Q3-5A and H50 Q5. I believe ZL is about to release the H51 and H51F. The H51 has a reflector for more throw plus a XP-G (maybe R4/R5 bin) with new UI. The H51F has a new UI, XP-G and ground glass window. I want the H51.

I like that wooden cup. Nice tarp setup.

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"
"Do not mess with the forces of Nature, for thou art small and biodegradable!"

Best of Woods Walker's posts.

xxxDarksidexxx
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by xxxDarksidexxx » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:28 pm

your trip may confirm what i thought was happening with my small figure 9's. like NXP mentioned, and i quickly learned a simple slip knot tied back on the line will hold everything nice and snug. im planning an overnight next month, and ill give them a go. i may keep them in my tarp setup, but they are no replacment for knowing how to tie certain knots, which i need to brush up on.

as far as the larger aluminum figure 9's go mine seems to work like a charm for the ridgeline when combined with 550. as you could see in my post/video i really tugged on it hard and it didnt slip at all. i actually tugged on that larger one several times and it stayed put every time.

as always great post, and really awesome photos blackdog! thanks for sharing! :D

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:24 am

northernxposure wrote:You've found one of the weaknesses of the Figure9.

I've had it happen to me occationally in less than optimal pitches that caused the F9 to rotate a smidge - just enough to loosen the lock in the V groove, causing the line to loosen.

If I don't trust the conditions, I just put a quick slip knot on the tag end coming off the back of the "V" groove.

Keeps everything inline and from slipping out of the locking groove.

In the summer, I could take or leave Figure 9's (usually take as I'm lazy), but come winter they're definately a take. Much easier to undue a slipknot and a F9 than a frozen up knot in my experience.

NXP
I went back and looked at the 9 and you are right, a little bit of a twist and the lock can work loose a bit. The 9 that came loose was the one on the corner that was catching the most wind and attached to the longest guy. So there it is, something to know if you want to use these little gizmos.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:29 am

Jeriah wrote:
Blackdog wrote:

Oh, man! Those are AWESOME! I totally need several of those. Besides just loving them, there is also the fact that my super-leet titanium mug conducts heat far too well to drink coffee out of. I couldn't think of a better material to replace it with; was leaning towards Lexan, but wood is even better!

Thanks for that link!
The kuksa is great for that hot morning joe, I was more than happy to give up a metal cup. If you decide to get one watch out for the size. Both of my Finnish pals had much smaller versions, more of a espresso size which seems to be the more common size. The guy who brought mine back from Finland said he had to poke around for a while to find one that would suit a regular American size coup of coffee.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

Blackdog

Post by Blackdog » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:06 am

Woods Walker wrote:I like those Vargo Ti nail pegs. Use a bunch of them to peg out the tipi in winter. The H501 Q5 is a winner for sure. Have you ever tried the glow in the dark holder? I have a H501 Q5 plus a H501w Q3-5A and H50 Q5. I believe ZL is about to release the H51 and H51F. The H51 has a reflector for more throw plus a XP-G (maybe R4/R5 bin) with new UI. The H51F has a new UI, XP-G and ground glass window. I want the H51.

I like that wooden cup. Nice tarp setup.
Vargo Ti, man you have good eyes, if someone had asked what they are I would have shrugged my shoulders and said who knows. I don't remember where or when I got them. They do work well and haven't managed to bend one yet but one of them does have the tip a little blunted. They are nice for me as sometimes even finding piece of wood that I can use as a stake is a snipe hunt. The piece of wood that the knife is stuck in was the only piece of straight wood I could find in that area and someone hauled it in sometime in past, maybe to use as a fishing pole.

I have never really used the glow in the dark holder, I try to put the headlamp in the same place every night I am out (in a boot) so I can find it when (for example) the niteize figure 9 takes a dump at 02:00.

I will have to give the H51 a look although my good wife may skin me if I "need" a replacement for her very fine Christmas present. Living in the land of power outages I have headlamps scattered here and there, 2 Petzl tikkas one of which flickers and drives me nuts, one with a cracked case and one petzl tactikka which is really a pretty good light.
Luck is stupid as a cow
and blind as a bat

HowItEnds
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Land of The Dead.

Post by HowItEnds » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:27 am

Jeriah wrote: Oh, man! Those are AWESOME! I totally need several of those. Besides just loving them, there is also the fact that my super-leet titanium mug conducts heat far too well to drink coffee out of. I couldn't think of a better material to replace it with; was leaning towards Lexan, but wood is even better!

Thanks for that link!
Plus, they will float ;)
Popcorn is BS
THIS IS HOW ROBOTS TYPE

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Great post! Now I know what to watch out for when I'll be trying my F9s.

How long have you lived in Kosovo? Planning on saying much longer?
Is it a fairly safe place now that the war is over?
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

stimpy321972
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, shaun of the dead

Post by stimpy321972 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:36 pm

great post and pic's, if the landscape only had a stand of trees it would be the ideal setting for most anything.
MaxRite wrote:
BigBossMan wrote: My AR is a precision weapon.
Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)
AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

Return to “Bug Out Gear”